• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Biden wants to Appoint Communist to take over Banking: Scary & Unbelievable

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Ah, so it's their fault they are stuck there and poop for them? How heartless. :( Did you know a lot of those people stayed because they ddin't want to abandon their citizens that they grow fond of and developed a bond with? A lot of them are heroes and they are being spit on by Joe Biden and the Dems. Shame on you. There are still people there who want to leave and they can't. Biden is doing nothing about it. He gave the country to the Taliban. He never even apologized to the Afghan people.

His Flatulence gave the country to the Taliban. Biden just followed through on the agreement His Flatulence made.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
We were complaining about it. Non-citizens of the U.S. get better treatment than actual citizens of the U.S. It's getting out of control. Did you know in some states if you get into a car accident with an illegal immigrant who has no license and no insurance, they usually get no punishment? Americans must have license and insurance, but immigrants don't need it. Same with COVID. Americans need the COVID vaccine! But, immigrants who cross the border and get flown to random towns by Biden don't need the vaccine. Weird, right? Did you hear when Jen Psaki said that immigrants don't need the vaccine because they aren't staying very long? This makes no sense.. By this same logic, why do we need a vaccine in order to eat inside? Nobody is staying long at that restaurant. Tucker Carlson pointed out this blatant hypocrisy. It's really getting out of control.

No license and no insurance are usually punished with fines, not jail. An illegal will get the same punishment.

In practice we do not effectively deal with unlicensed drivers, whether they are citizens or not.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
So US citizens are still leaving unimpeded. What makes you think "There are still people there who want to leave and they can't."?

If you're not on the Taliban's wanted list you can leave. If you are you won't be going anywhere near the any border officials and there are no friendly borders to slip over. Thus the wanted ones are hiding out.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
And the car accident happened to me. An ilegal immigrant hit my car from behind at a traffic light. Cop showed up. He didn't have a license or insurance and didn't speak English so the cop told him to go. Cop made me wait and file a report and talk to my insurance company. Cop didn't even write down the immigrants license plate.

Huh? The report would need at least the plate.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
So mainland China - a country which is run by a self-identified "communist" party - is in fact a dirt poor nation which lives in the dark and totally does not have Walmart, Buick, and gleaming cities filled with banks and billionaires.

Got it.

When China was actually communist it was a dirt poor nation. My wife lived through the Cultural Revolution and the Great Leap Forward. She has told me enough about that time that I do not ask for more because I do not want to stir up memories.

Modern China is communist pretty much in name only. There are vestiges of the old system that would be too economically disruptive to kill off, but they are being replaced by capitalism. A simple measure of the shift--the generation that grew up after the shift is noticeably taller than the previous generation. When I was first in China I could see over the heads of crowds--but as more and more of the new generation came of age I'm still taller than almost all the locals but not by enough to see over their heads.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

Oh you guys have fear, too. It's just on stuff that isn't as threatening. For example, you guys are scared to death of COVID. Republicans are not. Even the people who tell you guys, "Yeah we don't care if we get it. Let's take a risk and not get the vaccine. We're only infecting people who are OK with taking the risk," you still yell at them. You guys are scared to death of white supremacists.

You're not scared of Covid because your side keeps pretending it's not a big deal. And keeping on being plague rats is a risk to everybody, not just yourselves.

Is it reasonable to be fearful of COVID? Yes, but not to the extreme that liberals take it. They become unhinged lunatics about it the way they listen to Saint Fauci.

Is it reasonable to be fearful of white supremacists? Sure, but not to the extreme that liberals take it. They also become unhinged lunatics about it. It's reasonable to become fearful of black supremacists, too. But liberals don't care about that type of racism. I don't mess around. I hate all types of racism. but since I'm not a coward, I can say that.

The bigger threat is the communist being appointed by Biden and his minions.

You think that "communist" will kill half a million people?

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
What you say does make sense. This is why I think people should get the vaccine. But if they don't want to, we can't abduct them and jab them in the arm against their will. This isn't China or North Korea. I think people are just fed up that they were being lied to by the media about it non-stop since it started. First Fauci said that covid is no big deal and we shouldn;'t worry. Then he said we need to worry. Then he said no masks, then he said 1 mask then he said 2 masks then no mask then mask then no mask. It really has gotten ridiculous and you can see why people would get fed up at the "experts."

"Just give us 2 weeks to slow the spread" - Media and doctors, March 2020.

Get some better news. Fauci never said it was no big deal.

At first he said no masks because we didn't know about the presymptomatic transmission and masks were in short supply--better used for the sick and those treating the sick. Then we discovered it can spread from apparently healthy people and the advice changed--it's not the holy word of god, it can be updated as we learn new information.

The only error I have seen the experts making is downplaying it when things are looking up.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

You missed the point. It's been almost 2 years of "just 2 weeks to slow the spread." We went into lockdown. Didn't work.

Lockdown worked against the original version. Just look at China. Look at New Zealand. Look at Australia.

The half-assed handwave of a lockdown we did that was flaunted by many on the right was basically completely ineffective because it was so half-assed.

(Now, Delta is another matter--the precautions that were in place proved inadequate.)

SigmatheZeta

Basic Beliefs
Generally, I am rooted in both ancient Epicurean and ancient Pyrrhonist sentiments, although I am somewhat sympathetic toward the intentions behind ancient Cynicism.
So now we're talking about lockdowns...

Seriously, we'd already have this pandemic licked if everybody would get their vaccine.

Anti-vaxxers are just perpetuating the process of natural selection.

But they're going to drag a lot of other people down with them.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
There are a lot of people who think postal banking is the way forward. The issue is, of course, that the banks are doing a cockup of the financial sector.

Postal banking is a joke. It could be used for deposit accounts, but when you introduce all the rest of it it's going to be a total failure.

Is it any surprise that when people make a business of operating other people's money, they take almost all the extra money? I mean fuck, that was the whole point.

When someone else leverages my money, I should be entitled to more than half of the profits of them holding it. That doesn't make the bank rich? I don't give a shit.

They do not take almost all the extra money. However, if you actually want to make money you don't want a bank, you want an investment firm. I suggest things like index funds--you keep most of what you make there.

The primary service a bank provides is allowing you to move money around, it's not about simply keeping it. The profit they make goes to fund those services. If they were making excessive profit they would be eaten by competition who paid better interest. That doesn't happen--because there isn't excessive profit. In the long run a competitive industry will never have excessive profit because competition will drive it out. Only in restricted markets can you see lasting excessive profit. (For example, Apple--because people like what they make and nobody else can make the same thing.)

And note that an awful lot of the unbanked are that way because they stiffed a bank. Either they'll also get expelled from postal banks or postal banks will take huge losses, or postal banks won't do the sort of things that can get them stiffed.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

Seriously, we'd already have this pandemic licked if everybody would get their vaccine.

No--the vaccine doesn't appear to be good enough to stop Delta. We still need masks.

However, vaccine plus proper mask use would stop it. I see more misuse than proper use, though.

barbos

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
I am reading her wiki. She is no communist, in the later USSR there were almost no communists among higher ranks, they were all conformists, they turned into capitalists instantly when it no longer suited them. Pretty much all billionaires who are older than 50 in Russia today are former ranking communist operatives. She is no exception. Her thesis is obviously a garbage, but she had to do it.

Reminded me a guy whom I mentioned earlier. A teacher of History of Comunist Party of USSR, mandatory in university. I ignored that shit completely, got zero grade in that class and was formally expelled.
When I came back from the Army service, USSR was near dissolution the fucker was teaching....... history of monarchy. Go figure.

SigmatheZeta

Basic Beliefs
Generally, I am rooted in both ancient Epicurean and ancient Pyrrhonist sentiments, although I am somewhat sympathetic toward the intentions behind ancient Cynicism.

No--the vaccine doesn't appear to be good enough to stop Delta. We still need masks.

However, vaccine plus proper mask use would stop it. I see more misuse than proper use, though.
I think the vaccine alone WOULD HAVE been enough if everyone had just gotten it. Yes, I understand that, under current conditions, we need the mask, but a city NEAR me has already been able to relax the mask mandate whereas my own city's numbers are still too high. I think that people's refusal to get the vaccine is at least a contributor to the fact that we still have to wear the damn masks.

Fortunately, we have very few anti-maskers in the area, thank Frith.

Bomb#20

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Rationalism
An anarcho-communist does not necessarily call for overthrowing the government as long as the government is able to do something as simple and elementary as staying out of some people's way. Anarcho-communism is not a form of government, but it is a method of organizing people in spite of the government, in absence of the government, or with the tacit support of the government. ...
But when I talk about any philosophy whatsoever, never forget that I am a dragon. We are not even orthodox about being unorthodox. ...
Dragons eat farmers' cows, so farmers acquire a king who offers his daughter in marriage to whichever knight slays the dragon. You can't really expect the dragon to like that. Dragons aren't as unorthodox as they think they are -- as long as there've been farmers working long hours to raise calves into cows so their children can have milk, there've been folks who live by suddenly swooping down on farmers and carrying off full-grown cows, and who tell themselves pretty stories explaining how the farmers deserve it because property is theft, and who miss the old king who stayed out of their way.

Bomb#20

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Rationalism
This is so silly. Look at world growth up to 1800. It's almost a straight line of nothing. Then the Enlightenment thinkers gave us the ideas behind capitalism: property rights, intellectual property rights, patents, free market trade, profit motive and then the line on the graph starts skyrocketing upwards from 1800 to the present.
That's mythology, not history. Property rights have been around since before we split off from chimpanzees. People have been organizing profit-making businesses since ancient times. "Intellectual property" is what Enlightenment thinkers renamed already-existing patents and copyrights in order to keep those mercantilist concepts respectable in the dawning age of capitalism. Patents go back to the middle ages, when the first thing any businessman with an idea for making money did was offer to split his profits with the King in exchange for the King prohibiting anyone from competing with him. Copyrights were invented by Tudor-era bureaucrats for the purpose of censorship and co-opted by publishers to push competing publishers out of business; only hundreds of years later did anyone think of using copyrights to promote authorship. And the skyrocketing growth began back when mercantilism was still in vogue, decades before free trade policies were enacted.

SigmatheZeta

Basic Beliefs
An anarcho-communist does not necessarily call for overthrowing the government as long as the government is able to do something as simple and elementary as staying out of some people's way. Anarcho-communism is not a form of government, but it is a method of organizing people in spite of the government, in absence of the government, or with the tacit support of the government. ...
But when I talk about any philosophy whatsoever, never forget that I am a dragon. We are not even orthodox about being unorthodox. ...
Dragons eat farmers' cows, so farmers acquire a king who offers his daughter in marriage to whichever knight slays the dragon. You can't really expect the dragon to like that. Dragons aren't as unorthodox as they think they are -- as long as there've been farmers working long hours to raise calves into cows so their children can have milk, there've been folks who live by suddenly swooping down on farmers and carrying off full-grown cows, and who tell themselves pretty stories explaining how the farmers deserve it because property is theft, and who miss the old king who stayed out of their way.
A: I am pescetarian.

B: The common interpretation of that quote is a mischaracterization of Proudhon. I think that the open source community is actually a reasonably not terrible example of Proudhon's concept of mutualism, refined and put into actual practice. He was not advancing the argument that we should go around stealing from people, but he was really advancing a more revolutionary idea. Another good example would be a workers coop, such as the Mondragon Corporation. I honestly wish that Proudhon had not used that kind of language, but in spite of the fact that I love some of his ideas, he could be a bit of a richard.

You have all learned something today. Being an anarcho-communist just means you like worker coops. Cut off the alarms, people.

Bomb#20

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Rationalism

B: The common interpretation of that quote is a mischaracterization of Proudhon. I think that the open source community is actually a reasonably not terrible example of Proudhon's concept of mutualism, refined and put into actual practice. He was not advancing the argument that we should go around stealing from people, but he was really advancing a more revolutionary idea. Another good example would be a workers coop, such as the Mondragon Corporation. I honestly wish that Proudhon had not used that kind of language, but in spite of the fact that I love some of his ideas, he could be a bit of a richard.

You have all learned something today. Being an anarcho-communist just means you like worker coops. Cut off the alarms, people.

I.e., you're using the component words of "anarcho-communist" for their penumbras, not for their meanings. The Mondragon Corporation is private property from top to bottom; and the open source community would not exist without the for-profit personal computers they write all that open source source code on. Non-profit computer manufacture would never have made computers so cheap ordinary people could buy them for their own amusement.

SigmatheZeta

Basic Beliefs

I.e., you're using the component words of "anarcho-communist" for their penumbras, not for their meanings. The Mondragon Corporation is private property from top to bottom; and the open source community would not exist without the for-profit personal computers they write all that open source source code on. Non-profit computer manufacture would never have made computers so cheap ordinary people could buy them for their own amusement.
The open source community is a perfectly valid use of the concept of mutualism as Proudhon envisioned it, and it constitutes proof that, at least in certain applications, the concept of mutualism is actually applicable. I like the kind of creative community that surrounds open source, and I believe that the concept could eventually be expanded into broader applications. Jimmy Wales implemented a similar theory for Wikipedia, and Wikipedia has been exceedingly popular.

I find those types of creative communities to be intrinsically rewarding. I like them for reasons beyond just the product. It makes me feel very happy and positive about human nature. It gives me a sense of optimism and warmth. I think that I would enjoy feeling that way more often.

If you don't want to acknowledge that Proudhon's ideas were a historical influence on the development of the open source community and of wikis, then I will not pressure you to do so, even though you would be objectively in denial of well-established fact.

Swammerdami

Squadron Leader
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
pseudo-deism
This debate might lead in several directions, and in this post I turn along a tangent which may have little bearing on the rest of the "debate." Still, when I read this ...
If someone has to go back to a person's college days to find something bad to say about a political opponent, it's a sure indicator they couldn't find anything in their following professional career.

It helps that in this particular instance, Omarova is opposed by people who don't know the definitions of the words they use. They expect the rest of us to cringe at the mention of Karl Marx and communism. After all, if Capitalism is so great, why are they so scared of someone who turned in a college assignment 40 years ago.

This is so silly. Look at world growth up to 1800. It's almost a straight line of nothing. Then the Enlightenment thinkers gave us the ideas behind capitalism: property rights, intellectual property rights, patents, free market trade, profit motive and then the line on the graph starts skyrocketing upwards from 1800 to the present.
I was slightly flabbergasted. @Generation55 — Where in tarnation did you get your ideas about "the Enlightenment"? Sincere question: Do you have a link or definition you would share? Note that I am NOT asking here how these ideas relate to Karl Marx and/or Saule Omarova and/or Lauren Boebert or whoever rings your chimes. I am simply bemused with what seems to be a non-standard view of "the Enlightenment."

The idea of property rights preceded the Enlightenment ... by thousands of years. Jean-Jacques Rousseau viewed property rights as “adroit usurpation” and argued that rights only come into existence when people consent to them through the social contract. The Enlightenment of Rousseau et al is cited as leading directly to the French Revolution. I'm a little fuzzy on that event: Was affirming the ownership rights of the landed gentry one of that Revolution's key goals?

Wikipedia's article on the  History of patent law certainly doesn't link patents' origin to the Enlightenment. England's King Edward III granted a patent to John Kempe and company in 1331, even before 15th-century patents issued in France and Italy. The Greek city of Sybaris issued patents to encourage invention as early as 500 BC. Yes that's 'BC' with a 'B.'

It would be an interesting topic for another thread, but I am also interested in the "straight line of nothing [which] starts skyrocketing upwards from 1800 ..." What are we graphing, and where are our cites? And do you really think the Industrial Revolution owes more to David Hume than to science and technology?

I realize that you are assigning great impact to the writings of Adam Smith, but the right-wing caricature of that thinker is almost as flawed as their caricatures of "communism":
Adam Smith said:
Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.

In regards to the price of commodities, the rise of wages operates as simple interest does, the rise of profit operates like compound interest. Our merchants and masters complain much of the bad effects of high wages in raising the price and lessening the sale of goods. They say nothing concerning the bad effects of high profits. They are silent with regard to the pernicious effects of their own gains. They complain only of those of other people.

Wherever there is great property there is great inequality. For one very rich man there must be at least five hundred poor, and the affluence of the few supposes the indigence of the many. The affluence of the rich excites the indignation of the poor, who are often both driven by want, and prompted by envy, to invade his possessions.

Wherever there is great property, there is great inequality.

The interest of [businessmen] is always in some respects different from, and even opposite to, that of the public ... The proposal of any new law or regulation of commerce which comes from this order ... ought never to be adopted, till after having been long and carefully examined ... with the most suspicious attention. It comes from an order of men ... who have generally an interest to deceive and even oppress the public

Gasp! This great thinker, foe of Karl Marx, Saule Omarova and Lex Luthor, even supported a progressive income tax! Will the Boebert-Hannity ilk desert him?
Adam Smith said:
It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

SigmatheZeta

Basic Beliefs

Richard Stallman is one of the forefathers of the open source community. Here, he explains how the thinking behind it constitutes a synthesis of anarchism, communism, and capitalism.

I mean it might be true that open source software now dominates the mobile market and is present in every aspect of our lives, but if it is a successful idea, are we allowed to call it communism?

People get triggered by the word "communism," and it is stupid that they get triggered. Most people, when they say "communism," what they really mean is something more like "de jure state monopoly" or something similar. That is not what I am thinking when I say "communism."

Communism is really just acting as a community. Let's pretend that Julia, Brianna, and Abby were all growing vegetable gardens. When their crops came to fruition, they simply gave away most of their crops to their friends. Now, let's say that they were all to get together for a potluck dinner, and they were to use Julia's chili peppers, Brianna's potatoes, and Abby's string beans to make three unique dishes, and they all sat around a table and drank a wine that Brianna made out of Abby's grapes from ceramic cups that Julia had made herself.

Now, you do not have to call that communism, but it is communism.

Whenever you point out a successful real world example of communism, you get a "no true Scotsman" argument, but I think that the time has come that we stop avoiding the word "communism" when we are talking about ideas that are quite obviously communist.

In my ideals, though, I am not just an anarcho-communist, but I am really closer to Richard Stallman's way of thinking. I am not just an anarcho-communist, but I also like to sell things I have made. Some people would say that I was more of an "anarcho-capitalist." Well, sometimes, I am. So what? I don't give a damn.

Some people that say they are "anarcho-capitalists" are really implying that they adhere to the mutualistic ideas of Proudhon and Pyotr Kropotkin, which are really "anarcho-communist" but which are considered to be a subset of "anarchism." The "anarchist" component of "anarcho-capitalism" is really collectivist, but people that identify with the philosophy avoid openly acknowledging it because they just get tired of being trolled by people that want to try to make every conversation a so-called debate to try to hold them personally to blame for every sin of Joseph Stalin and Leon Trotsky.

However, Pierre-Joseph Proudhon's "mutualism" is undeniably a left-leaning principle for the organization of society, and even though it is officially "anarchist" and not "anarcho-communist," I believe that Peter Kropotkin's efforts to revive Proudhon's ideas were an important reason behind the continued survival of anarchist philosophy in the 21st Century.

And there is something very queer about anarcho-communism. I mean literally. Thanks to a conversation between Pyotr Kropotkin and Oscar Wilde, Wilde produced a historic essay called "The Heart of Man Under Socialism," which inspired the LGBTQIAA community, in generations that followed, to embrace those ideals as part of their philosophy. Harry Hay, co-founder of the Mattachine Society and founder of the Radical Faeries, was both a socialist and an anarchist, and his interest in paleontology further insinuates that he may have been influenced by the writings of Pyotr Kropotkin, who was also interested in evolution.

If you own an Android device, then you are holding in your hand physical evidence that anarcho-communism is good for something, even though I am not sure it proves that anarcho-communism can necessarily cure all of the ills of this world or provide all solutions to its problems. Even so, if you bought an Android device of any kind, then you must have believed that anarcho-communism was worth something to you, even though you did not know that that was what you were buying.

I am not to blame for the ignorance of others. Communist philosophy is much more broad than just the writings of Karl Marx, and besides, Karl Marx did not even invent the political left. He merely ruined it. Furthermore, the Marxists actually persecuted the followers of Pyotr Kropotkin. The last time, in Russian history, when the followers of Pyotr Kropotkin were allowed to speak openly, it was at Pyotr Kropotkin's state funeral. Before the dirt had even cooled over Kropotkin's grave, the Marxists stabbed them right in the back. They were brutally suppressed thereafter.

There is a world of communist philosophy outside of Marxism, and I believe that Marxism is really the weakest example of communism. I detest authoritarian philosophy. It is repellent to me on an instinctive level.

If there is anybody in the world that sees Richard Stallman as somebody to be afraid of, then they are a fool. He is one of the most caring and decent individuals currently living, and he has helped to change our very way of life in a way that I think most people would see as benevolent. When I say that anarchism and communism are a part of my philosophy, I mean it in the same way that Richard Stallman does. Rather than thinking anarchism and communism in terms of excluding other ideas, I see anarchism and communism as concepts that can enrich other ideas. We cannot enrich our heart by spiting out our liver.

Synthesis ideas are inherently attractive to me. After all, a dragon is nothing more than a synthesis.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Wondering if G55 has ever read any of her writings. I'd bet not. He's happier having propaganda spoon-fed to him.

I see you didn't watch the videos I posted. They confront her over her writings. I was reading what people on th eleft were saying about this and they weren't even mentioning her writings. They just had the standard "The communist boogeyman! LOL!" No critical thought whatsoever. Just bumper sticker politics from the that side of the spectrum.
Republicans had the facts and are grilling her. But of course, communists have to downplay communism taking over. If they were upfront about it, it would be too hard to infiltrate.

Just please use your logic here. Democrats have been wanting a Marxist agenda for a while now. Republicans said that the people behind Biden who want communism will be perfect to take over clueless Joe. Now all of a sudden Biden nominates a known communist to lead banking. If this isn't deliberate, then it's just one big coincidence that Biden is falling right into what the Republicans said was gonna happen. Weird, right?
It's like a right-wing clickbait article generator became sentient.

funinspace

Don't Panic
Basic Beliefs
functional atheist; theoretical agnostic
It would be an interesting topic for another thread, but I am also interested in the "straight line of nothing [which] starts skyrocketing upwards from 1800 ..." What are we graphing, and where are our cites? And do you really think the Industrial Revolution owes more to David Hume than to science and technology?
Without expanding in a detailed argument, I'd say the invention of the printing press, and its follow on improvements ramped up the exchange of knowledge and ideas, which eventually became the industrial revolution. And the steam engine took center stage. Additionally, if one looks at GDP per capita, the rapid growth of GDP doesn't really start screaming higher until mid part of the 20th century in the US. Now parts of Europe, started ramping up fast in the mid 19th century, which makes sense considering that they were more developed than the US at the time.

gdp-eu.png

US GDP per capita:
USgdp.png

Canard DuJour

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
dunno
The paper in question sounds a lot like the Chicago Plan advocated by Irving Fisher, Henry Simons and Milton Friedman (extreme free-market liberals). Private financial institutions would be perfectly free to intermediate between savers, borrowers and investors and would still have access to Fed funds. But the power to create money on Main St would be insulated from the casino banking of Wall St:

"The ability to transfer such benefits from federally backed banks to affiliated securities firms, derivatives dealers, and asset managers is the source of so-called “implicit” public subsidy that (financial holding companies) currently enjoy. While notoriously difficult to quantify, this implicit subsidy has been a crucial driver of the unprecedented consolidation and concentration in the U.S. financial industry since the 1990s. It is also at the very core of the “too big to fail” (“TBTF”) phenomenon that came to symbolize a recurring pattern of privatizing gains and socializing losses of large financial institutions.

Again, none of this means that private finance would be forced to disappear or “shrink into irrelevance.” The proposed reform would simply redefine or restore its proper social function. In effect, it would force private finance to conform to its own self-narrative as the realm of pure “intermediation” between private suppliers and users of “scarce” capital.245 In this sense, the restructuring of the Fed’s balance sheet, envisioned here, would allow for a more transparent, fair, and socially beneficial delineation between the properly “private” and the legitimately “public” spheres in modern finance."

Or as Henry Simons (another the commie rat) put it,

"“in the very nature of the system, banks will flood the economy with money substitutes during booms and perpetuate futile efforts at general liquidation thereafter”

The only losers would be the old boy network of politically connected Wall St banksters - as exemplified by Senator Toomey.

laughing dog

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Dogs rule
The paper does advocate moving all transactions accounts from private banks to the Federal Reserve. Regardless of the wisdom of such a policy, the Comptroller of the Currency does not have the authority nor the power to accomplish that goal. It would require federal legislation in the case of federally chartered banks. I am not a constitutional expert, but I doubt that Congress could constitutionally intrude on state chartered banks or other state chartered financial institutions.]

So, it would appear to this observer, that Senator Toomey's concerns are driven by kneejerk ignorance.

Patooka

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
aaa
You can't win this one. You look foolish arguing against the evidence.
Anyone else appreciate the irony the person most likely to mistake shadow debate arguments and whataboutisms whilst being incredibly thin on facts is the one harping about the virtues of evidence?
Everyone who says they love communism is not banging on the door to Cuba or North Korea. Let me know when you guys put your money where your mouths are and go to your utopian communist paradises.
Sure. The instant you go and live in a free market paradise like Albania or Somalia. Not a lot of socialist programs in those safe spaces of capitalism.

Bomb#20

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Rationalism
The idea of property rights preceded the Enlightenment ... by thousands of years. Jean-Jacques Rousseau viewed property rights as “adroit usurpation” and argued that rights only come into existence when people consent to them through the social contract. The Enlightenment of Rousseau et al is cited as leading directly to the French Revolution. I'm a little fuzzy on that event: Was affirming the ownership rights of the landed gentry one of that Revolution's key goals?
:consternation2:
Voltaire was the Enlightenment. "That madman Rousseau" was the grand prophet of the Endarkenment. ;)

TomC

Celestial Highness
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic deist
Everyone who says they love communism is not banging on the door to Cuba or North Korea. Let me know when you guys put your money where your mouths are and go to your utopian communist paradises.

Sure. The instant you go and live in a free market paradise like Albania or Somalia. Not a lot of socialist programs in those safe spaces of capitalism.

Pretty much this.

I prefer a blend of approaches to different social issues. I'm not interested in an ideological "one size fits all" approach.

As an example,
I want a government run health care system. Health care needs are too complex and changing for the majority of people to sort out on their own.

Luxury cars are completely different. Let Mercedes-Benz and Cadillac duke it out for market share with innovative styling and amenities and whatever.

Health care should not be a competitive market. Cars should be a competitive market.
Tom

Ford

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Godless Heathen
So mainland China - a country which is run by a self-identified "communist" party - is in fact a dirt poor nation which lives in the dark and totally does not have Walmart, Buick, and gleaming cities filled with banks and billionaires.

Got it.

When China was actually communist it was a dirt poor nation. My wife lived through the Cultural Revolution and the Great Leap Forward. She has told me enough about that time that I do not ask for more because I do not want to stir up memories.

Modern China is communist pretty much in name only.
Oh, I know. That was just for the benefit of our new buddy who doesn't seem to grasp that the Cold War is over. China is communist like North Korea is a democratic republic, but Gen 55 seems like one of those people who will argue the Nazis were socialist because it was in the name.

China is every bit as authoritarian as ever, and what they're doing in Hong Kong (and what they might do to Taiwan) is very, very worrisome. Maybe if our new member would spend some time reading up on current events instead of trying to relive the Red Scare, we'd get some productive discussions, but that seems unlikely.

funinspace

Don't Panic
Basic Beliefs
China is every bit as authoritarian as ever, and what they're doing in Hong Kong (and what they might do to Taiwan) is very, very worrisome. Maybe if our new member would spend some time reading up on current events instead of trying to relive the Red Scare, we'd get some productive discussions, but that seems unlikely.
Is that before or after he recommends sending a Naval hospital ship to the Taiwan straight, instead of an antiquated Battleship? Too much reading of the Hasbro Guide to Military History? Guess that's better than saying that the Continental Army took over the airports during our revolution...

Ford

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Godless Heathen

Pretty much this.

I prefer a blend of approaches to different social issues. I'm not interested in an ideological "one size fits all" approach.

As an example,
I want a government run health care system. Health care needs are too complex and changing for the majority of people to sort out on their own.

Luxury cars are completely different. Let Mercedes-Benz and Cadillac duke it out for market share with innovative styling and amenities and whatever.

Health care should not be a competitive market. Cars should be a competitive market.
Tom

Ah, but no doubt someone will be along shortly to wail about how inefficient and ineffective government-run programs are (while fully supporting throwing as much money at the military as possible and using said military to overthrow nations) and how "the free market" is the only way to go!

Never mind that the solution to "government is bad" would be to...I dunno...fix government, but that's not the right wing way, is it? Starve the beast, bemoan the state of the government, then when you fool enough people to get put in charge, run things even worse than your opponents! Of course the real plan is to divert the trillions the government spends into the coffers of the wealthy who paid for those election victories, so if that means millions suffer due to inadequate (government) or wildly overpriced (private) healthcare, so be it. The "invisible hand" must be given precedence. Ideology over public good. Profits over people.

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs
Natural Philosophy, Game Theoretic Ethicist

Pretty much this.

As an example,

Tom

Ah, but no doubt someone will be along shortly to wail about how inefficient and ineffective government-run programs are (while fully supporting throwing as much money at the military as possible and using said military to overthrow nations) and how "the free market" is the only way to go!

Never mind that the solution to "government is bad" would be to...I dunno...fix government, but that's not the right wing way, is it? Starve the beast, bemoan the state of the government, then when you fool enough people to get put in charge, run things even worse than your opponents! Of course the real plan is to divert the trillions the government spends into the coffers of the wealthy who paid for those election victories, so if that means millions suffer due to inadequate (government) or wildly overpriced (private) healthcare, so be it. The "invisible hand" must be given precedence. Ideology over public good. Profits over people.
All hail mammon, may we be delicious in his mouth.

Generation55

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic

Got it.

Oh, I know. That was just for the benefit of our new buddy who doesn't seem to grasp that the Cold War is over. China is communist like North Korea is a democratic republic, but Gen 55 seems like one of those people who will argue the Nazis were socialist because it was in the name.

And you think Biden wil get tough on the Chinese? He's in bed with them. Trump called them out to the whole world for releasing the virus and said they will pay for doing that. Biden is now letting China run amok.

Joe Biden was involved in a deal with a Chinese giant — and was expecting a 10 percent cut​

"As Jim talked, Bobulinski marveled at the political risk to Joe’s career if his family’s flagrant influence peddling during his vice presidency came to light.
“How are you guys getting away with this?” he finally asked. “Aren’t you concerned that you’re going to put your brother’s [2020] presidential campaign at risk? You know, the Chinese, the stuff that you guys have been doing already in 2015 and 2016, around the world?”
Jim chuckled and looked knowingly at Bobulinski.
“Plausible deniability,” he said, using a term coined by the CIA during the Kennedy administration to describe the practice of keeping the president uninformed about illegal or unsavory activity so he can plausibly deny knowing anything if it becomes public knowledge. "

Yet the media doesn't blow this up calling Biden a traitor and a disgrace like they did every day about anti-establishment Trump. Why do you think people are fed up with the mainstream media? On a funny note, I saw a guy at the supermarket today wearing a shirt that said, "CNN is fake news" on it. I chuckled and told him I liked the shirt.

Patooka

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
aaa
And you think Biden wil get tough on the Chinese? He's in bed with them. Trump called them out to the whole world for releasing the virus and said they will pay for doing that. Biden is now letting China run amok.
Ford and Loren were talking about how you don't have the slightest fucking idea about the modern day Chinese government. That you failed to address this and instead deflect like the shittiest Jedi around is pretty telling.
blah blah, Joe Biden, blah blah blah, Hunter Biden here's some shit from the NYPost.
Again, not willing to address that know jack fucking shit about China or the fact that you think "communist" means either anyone who disagrees with you or whoever the right is currently fucking terrified towards.

Generation55

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic
Ford and Loren were talking about how you don't have the slightest fucking idea about the modern day Chinese government. That you failed to address this and instead deflect like the shittiest Jedi around is pretty telling.
blah blah, Joe Biden, blah blah blah, Hunter Biden here's some shit from the NYPost.
Again, not willing to address that know jack fucking shit about China or the fact that you think "communist" means either anyone who disagrees with you or whoever the right is currently fucking terrified towards.
You realize I made a post in this thread about how China didn't get lifted out of poverty until they embraced capitalism? But, their government is still very authoritarian overall.

I like how you ignore all bad news against Biden. Why is that? Establishment media treated Trump like dirt. Why is that? How can a guy who you guys claim is "pure establishment" be hated so much by the establishment media? There are still a bunch of people who actually believe Trump was status-quo establishment. If that was the case, the media would've loved him! Remember when Trump enacted the travel ban when coronavirus started and everyone screamed he was racist and xenophobic? Biden bans travel due to the new variant and the media isn't calling him a racist xenophobe. Funny, right?

Patooka

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
aaa
You realize I made a post in this thread about how China didn't get lifted out of poverty until they embraced capitalism? But, their government is still very authoritarian overall.

I like how you ignore all bad news against Biden. Why is that? Establishment media treated Trump like dirt. Why is that? How can a guy who you guys claim is "pure establishment" be hated so much by the establishment media? There are still a bunch of people who actually believe Trump was status-quo establishment. If that was the case, the media would've loved him! Remember when Trump enacted the travel ban when coronavirus started and everyone screamed he was racist and xenophobic? Biden bans travel due to the new variant and the media isn't calling him a racist xenophobe. Funny, right?
I've gotta say I'm kinda impressed. You certainly dance and jump from issue to issue with the grace and agility of Baryshnikov.

Generation55

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic

I've gotta say I'm kinda impressed. You certainly dance and jump from issue to issue with the grace and agility of Baryshnikov.

I just go by the facts. You don't like it because you can't answer it. You know Trump was an anti-establishment rebel and that thought makes you have cognitive dissonance.

Imagine if my post #163 had the name "Trump" in the headline getting a 10% cut from the Chinese. You guys would be screaming about it. But since it's Biden's name...not a peep. Very partisan.

Patooka

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
aaa
I just go by the facts. You don't like it because you can't answer it. You know Trump was an anti-establishment rebel and that thought makes you have cognitive dissonance.

Imagine if my post #163 had the name "Trump" in the headline getting a 10% cut from the Chinese. You guys would be screaming about it. But since it's Biden's name...not a peep. Very partisan.

*sigh*

Generation55, please put the crayons down and listen to what uncle Patooka has to say. You comfy? Okay matie...

This whole exchange began when you addressed Ford and Loren's comments about your lack of knowledge with regards to China here. Your reply was some rambling about Biden which was not pertinent in any way. That is what grown ups call a "non sequitur" or more commonly "idiotic bullshit". You didn't even bother to address Ford's or Loren's points until I called you out in it. That is known as a "bad faith argument" or more commonly "idiotic bullshit". It raises two questions:

1) Why didn't you address Loren's and Ford's posts in the first place instead of going on a rant about Biden?

2) What the fuck does Biden have to do with your apparent ignorance on modern day China?

And when I say your posts raises a few questions, I meant that rhetorically. I'm asking you to see if you are capable of awareness through self reflection. It's a very important skill and one that will come in quite handy for you when you grow up. But whilst I have you, Gerneration55, I would like to point out a worrying habit you appear to be developing and that's your tendency to make unwarranted assumptions about people you are having a conversation with. I've avoided mentioning Biden because he is not relevant to your ignorance about China. It would be like me saying I think you are a pedophile because while discussing the latest Dune movie you never once mentioned the evils of child sex trafficking. You see how silly that is, right? Making unverifiable assumptions about someone's belief system in order win an imaginary argument is sometimes called "strawmanning", but more commonly, "idiotic bullshit". If you keep practicing idiotic bullshit, how do you think people are going to view you?

That was a rhetorical question also, son. Now pick up your crayons and run along and play.

Finally, and this is a minor issue, I think you were referring to post 183 when you were yet again deflecting. You didn't write post #163 in this thread. Like I said, a minor issue, but man you are giving me some De Ja Vu.

funinspace

Don't Panic
Basic Beliefs
If only all the dozens of dozens of claims by just one person against Clownstick were taken as seriously as the NY Post takes this one guy...
So far, much of what Bobulinski has said remains unverified. What Trump allies were trying to sell as a smoking gun in the run-up to the election has produced little smoke thus far. It’s the latest chapter in the push for dirt on Hunter Biden that led to Trump’s impeachment in 2019.
<snip>
Bobulinski provided some of his records to outlets like Fox News and the Wall Street Journal. Both reported that they do not show Joe Biden had business dealings with SinoHawk Holdings or took money from the Chinese company.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

I think the vaccine alone WOULD HAVE been enough if everyone had just gotten it. Yes, I understand that, under current conditions, we need the mask, but a city NEAR me has already been able to relax the mask mandate whereas my own city's numbers are still too high. I think that people's refusal to get the vaccine is at least a contributor to the fact that we still have to wear the damn masks.

Fortunately, we have very few anti-maskers in the area, thank Frith.

Before Delta a quick look would say the vaccine alone would have been enough, but it wouldn't have worked because it wasn't approved for children yet. Children associate with other children, providing a pool that would support the virus.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
The paper in question sounds a lot like the Chicago Plan advocated by Irving Fisher, Henry Simons and Milton Friedman (extreme free-market liberals). Private financial institutions would be perfectly free to intermediate between savers, borrowers and investors and would still have access to Fed funds. But the power to create money on Main St would be insulated from the casino banking of Wall St:

If Main Street can't "create money" then banks can't loan, they have no way to make money and they will close.

And note that giving banks access to Wall Street was done to keep the whole banking system from crashing due to holding a bunch of fixed-rate mortgages in times of rising interest. It's not an ideal system--but an ideal system can't exist.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

You were saying they were communist.

Yes, they are ruled by the "communist" party--but at this point that's just a name. I have two relatives that are members of the "communist" party--both very capitalistic.

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
The fact that she wants to nationalize banking is how you can tell she hates capitalism.
That was an idea that she once put out to provoke discussion - someone said about it that she was spitballing.
Bernie Sanders even called for nationalizing the banks. Well, he called for nationalizing basically everything and making everyone a slave to the government forever, but that's neither here nor there.
Where did he do that?
What I love is freedom. And since I love freedom so much, I want the government to do as less as possible and stay out of everyone's lives.
I love it when right-wingers sound like anarchists.
The only time the government should interfere is to protect life and liberty.
And protect people who are too lazy to protect themselves?

Ford

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Godless Heathen

Got it.

Jesus H. Tap-dancing Christ...really?

Trump sucked up to Xi so hard I'm surprised that Xi didn't pay HIM hush money. (That's a Stormy Daniels reference, in case you missed it). And then there's the fact that Trump's daughter used her position at the White House to secure some very lucrative deals with the country you claim Trump "got tough" with. Have you looked at the "made in" label for whatever Trump ties you might have in your closet? Hmm...

But honestly, it is a little unfair to call out Trump (both Donald and Ivanka) for being "in bed" with the Chinese, because American businesses have been doing it for fucking decades. Again...Buick. Walmart. Where was that smartphone you struggle to use made? Your television that broadcasts whatever angry cable news you watch?

You've got this idea in your head that Trump stood strong against "Chyynna" and that Biden is "in bed" with them, all the while ignoring that you - as a consumer - are up to your neck in products made there. How did this happen? Was it Biden? Hunter and his laptop? No. Simply put (and this is a gross oversimplification), the Chinese "communist" government looked at what was happening in the collapsing Soviet Union back when George H.W. Bush was President and said "we need to do something different or we'll collapse, too."

So they essentially made a deal...both with their own people and the "decadent west" that they often criticized. To wit: "We'll transition to a market economy, let your corporations in, make you a shit-ton of products at a discount price, let our people earn money in said market economy, and y'all let us keep our authoritarian regime. Deal?"

The west said "that sounds like a pretty good deal," and that's what's been going on since before Trump was reduced to doing Pizza Hut ads with Ivana in the crumbling Trump Tower. (You might need to look that one up). You've got this imaginary narrative where it was communism vs capitalism in the fight of the century, with only Trump stepping up and tilting the scales back to free markets, but that's not even close to the reality. What color is the sky in your world?

Oh, and the idea that China developed and "released" the virus is delusional. They're pretty good at making iPhones, but the notion that they can genetically engineer viruses? That's on the level of "Bill Gates is putting 5G chips in the vaccine."

Get some help.

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Oh you guys have fear, too. It's just on stuff that isn't as threatening. For example, you guys are scared to death of COVID. Republicans are not. ...
Which is why people in pro-Republican areas are now dying of the disease much faster than people in pro-Democratic areas.

Should one stop fearing being hit by a car? Becoming a crime victim? ...

Generation55

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic

Got it.

Jesus H. Tap-dancing Christ...really?

Trump sucked up to Xi so hard I'm surprised that Xi didn't pay HIM hush money. (That's a Stormy Daniels reference, in case you missed it). And then there's the fact that Trump's daughter used her position at the White House to secure some very lucrative deals with the country you claim Trump "got tough" with. Have you looked at the "made in" label for whatever Trump ties you might have in your closet? Hmm...

But honestly, it is a little unfair to call out Trump (both Donald and Ivanka) for being "in bed" with the Chinese, because American businesses have been doing it for fucking decades. Again...Buick. Walmart. Where was that smartphone you struggle to use made? Your television that broadcasts whatever angry cable news you watch?

You've got this idea in your head that Trump stood strong against "Chyynna" and that Biden is "in bed" with them, all the while ignoring that you - as a consumer - are up to your neck in products made there. How did this happen? Was it Biden? Hunter and his laptop? No. Simply put (and this is a gross oversimplification), the Chinese "communist" government looked at what was happening in the collapsing Soviet Union back when George H.W. Bush was President and said "we need to do something different or we'll collapse, too."

So they essentially made a deal...both with their own people and the "decadent west" that they often criticized. To wit: "We'll transition to a market economy, let your corporations in, make you a shit-ton of products at a discount price, let our people earn money in said market economy, and y'all let us keep our authoritarian regime. Deal?"

The west said "that sounds like a pretty good deal," and that's what's been going on since before Trump was reduced to doing Pizza Hut ads with Ivana in the crumbling Trump Tower. (You might need to look that one up). You've got this imaginary narrative where it was communism vs capitalism in the fight of the century, with only Trump stepping up and tilting the scales back to free markets, but that's not even close to the reality. What color is the sky in your world?

Oh, and the idea that China developed and "released" the virus is delusional. They're pretty good at making iPhones, but the notion that they can genetically engineer viruses? That's on the level of "Bill Gates is putting 5G chips in the vaccine."

Get some help.

They didn't create the virus out of thin air. They were experimenting with viruses and Fauci admitted to funding gain of function research. He should he charged with treason. He's no Saint the way the liberal media makes him out to be. He's one of the most crooked people out there.

In Major Shift, NIH Admits Funding Risky Virus Research in Wuhan​

"A spokesman for Dr. Fauci says he has been “entirely truthful,” but a new letter belatedly acknowledging the National Institutes of Health’s support for virus-enhancing research adds more heat to the ongoing debate over whether a lab leak could have sparked the pandemic."

Generation55

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic
Oh you guys have fear, too. It's just on stuff that isn't as threatening. For example, you guys are scared to death of COVID. Republicans are not. ...
Which is why people in pro-Republican areas are now dying of the disease much faster than people in pro-Democratic areas.

Should one stop fearing being hit by a car? Becoming a crime victim? ...

Funny you bring up being a crime victim because in liberal cities like San Francisco, crime is basically legal now. Organized gangs are randomly running into stores and emptying shelves because they know it's a slap on the wrist. Why is this happening? Because if you view an entie race of people as oppressed, then all of a sudden personal responsibility goes out the window because they are just seen as victims of the system. How can you punish them when they are all oppressed? And if you do punsih them, you are admitting to personal responibility. It's quite the conundrum. Progressives are getting so open minded that their brains are falling out.

Generation55

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic
The fact that she wants to nationalize banking is how you can tell she hates capitalism.
That was an idea that she once put out to provoke discussion - someone said about it that she was spitballing.
Bernie Sanders even called for nationalizing the banks. Well, he called for nationalizing basically everything and making everyone a slave to the government forever, but that's neither here nor there.
Where did he do that?
What I love is freedom. And since I love freedom so much, I want the government to do as less as possible and stay out of everyone's lives.
I love it when right-wingers sound like anarchists.
The only time the government should interfere is to protect life and liberty.
And protect people who are too lazy to protect themselves?
Small government does not mean no government. It reminds me of those memes "You want the government to stay out of our lives but you want the government to outlaw abortion!" The response is yes, because aboriton is about protecting life and the basic function of the government is to protect life: to protect the baby's life and liberty.

Ford

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Godless Heathen

They didn't create the virus out of thin air. They were experimenting with viruses and Fauci admitted to funding gain of function research. He should he charged with treason. He's no Saint the way the liberal media makes him out to be. He's one of the most crooked people out there.
Leaving aside for a moment that you've quoted a Vanity Fair article, do you know who appointed Fauci to lead the response to the pandemic?

Take all the time you need.

Top Bottom