• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Billionaires Blast off

The bottom line is that wealth and power is being highly concentrated into the hands of a small percentage of the population, the so called elite.

And that this is not beneficial for society as a whole. Not economically, ethically or morally.

It's obscene in any way you look at it. Those in positions of power, wealth and prestige have, of course, an interest in defending their position, spinning tales of perceived benefits and trickle down economics, yada, yada.....

Mostly true but there are those who do work to benefit others. Look at the companies Musk has started and tell me he his just “spinning tales of perceived benefits”.

Look at Jared Isaacman and his company Shift4 Payments, how he became wealthy and what he does with his wealth. Read about the relationship between Inspiration4 and St Jude’s.

As we go through life hating those who have achieved what we have not and lying to ourselves of how altruistic we would be if only we were in such a position, hit the brakes and read a bit before admonishing.

Should billionaires be made to share the wealth? Most definitely. Do I think government is the best steward for disbursement of this wealth? I’m not so sure anymore.

:thumbsup: Its always been a bit of a conundrum to me whereby everyone laughs/grumbles about government waste, fraud, inefficiency, $600 hammers for the military, etc, yet simulataneously insist that the very rich keep giving even more to Uncle Sam in the form of taxes. Wouldn't their excess wealth be better served by giving directly to reputable charities, or medical/technological research to make our lives safer and healthier? Fortunately, many of the wealthy do this on their own already but perhaps more incentives to do so are in order.

It's always been a mystery to me why Americans have such disdain for government, while simultaneously claiming that their nation is the best in the world because of its constitution and democratic freedoms.

Do you people even know what a government is, what it does, and why you have one?

You literally cannot separate a nation from its government. If you say that you like the USA, then by definition you are saying that you like the US Government.

It seems to me that you just want a nice nation, but don't want to pay for it. Sorry, but that's not how anything works.

:thumbsup: Its always been a bit of a conundrum to me whereby everyone laughs/grumbles about government waste, fraud, inefficiency, $600 hammers for the military, etc, yet simulataneously insist that the very rich keep giving even more to Uncle Sam in the form of taxes. Wouldn't their excess wealth be better served by giving directly to reputable charities, or medical/technological research to make our lives safer and healthier? Fortunately, many of the wealthy do this on their own already but perhaps more incentives to do so are in order.

It's always been a mystery to me why Americans have such disdain for government, while simultaneously claiming that their nation is the best in the world because of its constitution and democratic freedoms.

Do you people even know what a government is, what it does, and why you have one?

You literally cannot separate a nation from its government. If you say that you like the USA, then by definition you are saying that you like the US Government.

It seems to me that you just want a nice nation, but don't want to pay for it. Sorry, but that's not how anything works.

You can like the constitution but still feel that the current government is not living up to its ideals.

You can like the constitution but still feel that the current government is not living up to its ideals.

Sure. But that's a matter for the ballot box or the courts. And yet the people who both loudly proclaim their patriotism, and deride the whole concept of taxation, mostly don't vote, and don't file lawsuits against the government.

If you feel that the government is acting unconstitutionally, but that you cannot get redress from the courts, then you cannot love the country - by definition, you don't like the country, because it doesn't comply with the constitution that you define as necessary for a country to meet your standards.

The country is defined by its government. Not by some hypothetical ideal government that it might have one day, or might once have had; It is defined by the government it actually has. And in the case of the USA, that government requires that people pay taxes.

It would be really nice to see you phrase your comments a tad differently when it comes to your thoughts on America and Americans. I notice you never, or virtually never say "A lot of Americans", or "Some Americans", or even "Most Americans". You just say, "I know Americans this this and that..." or "Americans believe this..." or "Americans think that..."

I know you're not stupid enough to think all Americans are alike. And I know you're not stupid enough to realize that bigots and racists do the very same thing that you do. I know you are NOT a bigot or a racist. Just as I know you are certainly not stupid.

So why do you do that? By making broad generalizations you are diminishing the value of your comments. I can only wonder if you do what you do intentionally, with the full intention of being offensive to some people who do not deserve the offense?

I agree that America is choked with isolated, ignorant, spoiled, self-entitled silly people. If I had enough money to live somewhere else, I would. I would love to live in Italy, or Greece. And I wouldn't care in the least if I ever lost my American citizenship. I wouldn't mind at all if I were to become a citizen of another country. I don't own a flag, never have, and I wouldn't call myself patriotic, and I am certainly not nationalistic.

But I think that what you do so frequently is incredibly silly, and beneath you.

Re: Billionaires blasting off,

I think Elon Musk just reminded the upstarts who's the boss of space.

Does anyone else find themselves secretly hoping that one of them explodes?

That’s wrong I know, but what’s the point of these trips? They aren’t advancing science. They’re just going a multi million dollar thrill ride.

And orgasm.

I wouldn't mind it if the company in charge used this as a marketing thing for some charity or research work...like said they donate 50% of the proceeds to science foundations or charities or something useful. Then, also this would add some cred to the billionaires blasting off so they wouldn't be perceived as dicks. It might incentivize them to even market it more...maybe enough that they could get Kanye involved and send him home.

That said, I still don't understand why no one is talking about the lack of bathrooms.

Inspiration4 - Home - the mission's home page
The First All-Civilian Mission To Orbit
four Crew members representing the mission pillars of Leadership, Hope, Generosity, and Prosperity

Inspiration4 is the world’s first all-civilian mission to orbit. The mission will be commanded by Jared Isaacman, the 38-year-old founder and Chief Executive Officer of Shift4 Payments and an accomplished pilot and adventurer. Named in recognition of the four-person crew that will raise awareness and funds for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, this milestone represents a new era for human spaceflight and exploration.

SpaceX's private Inspiration4 crew returns to Earth with historic splashdown off Florida coast | Space
hey've also been treated to epic views of the planet below. Their spacecraft, Crew Dragon Resilience, received a unique modification after its last spaceflight. Engineers at SpaceX removed the craft's docking adapter and in its place, installed a giant dome window, called a cupola.

"We have been spending so much time in this cupola, and can see the entire perimeter of the Earth, which is such [an] incredible perspective," Arceneaux said during the broadcast. "And I have to say, the views are out of this world."

Proctor and Arceneaux demonstrated that multiple crew members can fit in the cupola at one time, and said the crew is spending as much time gazing upon the Earth as possible. Proctor showed off one of the drawings she's been working on in space, which is a depiction of their Dragon spacecraft launching into space and drawn with metallic markers.

Leadership - Inspiration4 commander Jared Isaacman places 1st-ever sports bets from space | Space
Jared Isaacman is the founder and CEO of Shift4 Payments (NYSE: FOUR) as well as an accomplished aviator and adventurer.

Hope - Inspiration4's Hayley Arceneaux will be youngest American to reach space and 1st spaceflyer with a prosthesis | Space - a metal rod in her leg after surgery for bone cancer at age 10
Hayley Arceneaux is a physician assistant at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and pediatric cancer survivor.

Generosity - From Space Camp to space, Inspiration4's Chris Sembroski readies for trip of a lifetime | Space
Chris Sembroski will represent generosity - an individual who has supported the St. Jude mission: Finding cures. Saving children.

Prosperity - Sian Proctor makes history with Inspiration4 as first-ever Black female spacecraft pilot | Space
Dr. Sian Proctor is an inspirational entrepreneur who has used the power of Shift4Shop to launch her dream business.

I wouldn't mind it if the company in charge used this as a marketing thing for some charity or research work...like said they donate 50% of the proceeds to science foundations or charities or something useful. Then, also this would add some cred to the billionaires blasting off so they wouldn't be perceived as dicks. It might incentivize them to even market it more...maybe enough that they could get Kanye involved and send him home.

That said, I still don't understand why no one is talking about the lack of bathrooms.

The SpaceX Inspiration4 flight is raising money for St Jude’s Children Hospital. One of the astronauts is an employee there and pediatric cancer survivor. I believe they’ve raised $150M out of a $200M goal so far. One of the other seats was awarded through a charity raffle.

There’s a Netflix documentary series about the flight that goes into all this detail. Including how they use the bathroom.

Inspiration4 - flight altitude 585 km / 364 mi, one of the highest altitudes ever achieved by human space travelers in orbit around our planet.

Full video of their return: Inspiration4 | Splashdown - YouTube (2 hours)
Feel free to skip through it to get to what's actually happening. It's very common to fill up time with lots of discussion of mission background and what happened previously.

But the spacecraft got back perfectly. It did a deorbit burn, then hit the atmosphere about 3/4 hour later (rough guess). It had a blackout for 4 1/2 minutes as it came through the upper atmosphere. It then released 2 drogue parachutes then 4 main parachutes, landing in the Atlantic Ocean near Florida. The capsule was picked up by a ship, and on board that ship, all four astronauts got our of their capsule and were able to walk.

More on AOC's big statement. She was invited there, so she decided to do what she's done several times in the past: modelling. But with the twist of adding "TAX THE RICH" to her very fancy dress.

The SpaceX Inspiration4 flight is raising money for St Jude’s Children Hospital. One of the astronauts is an employee there and pediatric cancer survivor. I believe they’ve raised $150M out of a $200M goal so far. One of the other seats was awarded through a charity raffle.

Cool. I don't have a problem with it, then.

Now playing

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/8wI4jMxveyI[/YOUTUBE]

In a Blue Origin Rocket, William Shatner Finally Goes to Space - The New York Times - "The actor who played Captain Kirk played the role of pitchman for Jeff Bezos’ spaceflight company at a time that it is facing a number of workplace and business difficulties."
Mr. Shatner, 90, became the world’s oldest space traveler on the flight, which was the latest excursion over the West Texas desert aboard a rocket built by Blue Origin for space tourists. The private space company is owned by Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon and one of the wealthiest men on the planet.

It was the sixth launch carrying private passengers this year, as billionaire-backed companies jockey to normalize launching humans to space. Carrying two paying passengers, the quick jaunt to space also checked off another revenue-generating flight for Blue Origin’s space tourism business, advancing competition with Richard Branson’s Virgin Galactic to attract more wealthy and adventure-seeking customers.

... His trip aboard the rocket might have been conceived as a publicity stunt, but brushing the edge of the sky left the actor full of wonder, mixed with unease.

“What you have given me is the most profound experience I can imagine,” Mr. Shatner told Mr. Bezos, waxing poetically about the “immeasurably small” line he witnessed between Earth and space, describing it as a fragile, underappreciated boundary between life and death.

“This air which is keeping us alive is thinner than your skin,” he continued, adding: “it would be so important for everybody to have that experience, through one means or another.”

Mr. Shatner shared the capsule on Wednesday with three other passengers: Audrey Powers, a Blue Origin vice president who oversees New Shepard operations, and two paying customers: Chris Boshuizen, a co-founder of the Earth-observation company Planet Labs, and Glen de Vries, a co-founder of a company that builds software for clinical researchers.

Mr. Shatner wasn’t thrilled about his new status as the oldest person to fly into space. “I wish I had broken the world record in the 10-yard dash, but unfortunately it was how old I was,” he said hours after the mission during a news conference on the landing pad. He beat the record recently clinched during Blue Origin’s first crewed flight in July by Wally Funk, an 82-year-old pilot and former candidate for NASA’s astronaut corps who was turned down from joining in the 60s because of her sex.

Back
Top Bottom