• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Black Icons Against BLM

He's the one whose aunt murdered a cop in the 70s and is currently being harbored by the Cubans, right?
I am sure he would have loved the #BLM movement. You know, if he wasn't shot dead, probably by a fellow thug cum rapper.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for providing evidence to support Tom Sawyer's observation.
It's not evidence for Sawyer's observation. It's evidence that his characterization of #BLM and of those opposed to it is as flawed as your attempts at reasoning.

He's the one whose aunt murdered a cop in the 70s and is currently being harbored by the Cubans, right?
I am sure he would have loved the #BLM movement. You know, if he wasn't shot dead, probably by a fellow thug cum rapper.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for providing evidence to support Tom Sawyer's observation.
It's not evidence for Sawyer's observation. It's evidence that his characterization of #BLM and of those opposed to it is as flawed as your attempts at reasoning.
Thanks for providing additional evidence to support Tom Sawyer's observation.

Yep. Kevin Gates is a hip hop icon in the same way that Chainsmokers are pop icons. If he were at icon status, he probably wouldn't be doing an in person interview with a radio station.
Well if he was literally an  icon, he'd have trouble giving interviews at all, because he'd be a religious artwork.
View attachment 10733

I agree that rapper is not much of an icon.

But I wonder what icons like Booker T. Washington or WEB DuBois would think of the #BLM movement.
quote-there-is-another-class-of-colored-people-who-make-a-business-of-keeping-the-troubles-the-wrongs-booker-t-washington-354862.jpg

w-e-b-du-bois-quotes-quotesgram-113316.jpg

I doubt they would have too high an opinion of it.

How much do you actually know about the writings and ideologies of Washington or Dubois that aren't mined quotes?

And I am absolutely certain they would not approve the killing of unarmed black men.

Well if he was literally an  icon, he'd have trouble giving interviews at all, because he'd be a religious artwork.

Wow. How did you think to look to Wiki for a definition, rather than a dictionary? Yes, he might literally be a conventional religious image typically painted on a small wooden panel and used in the devotions of Eastern Christians

Unless he was literally an object of uncritical devotion
Unless he was literally an emblem, symbol
Unless he was literally a sign (as a word or graphic symbol) whose form suggests its meaning
Unless he was literally a graphic symbol on a computer display screen that represents an object (as a file) or function (as the command to delete)

I agree that rapper is not much of an icon.

But I wonder what intellectual icons like Booker T. Washington or WEB DuBois would think of the #BLM movement.
quote-there-is-another-class-of-colored-people-who-make-a-business-of-keeping-the-troubles-the-wrongs-booker-t-washington-354862.jpg

w-e-b-du-bois-quotes-quotesgram-113316.jpg

I doubt they would have too high an opinion of it.
Neither would MLK Jr. or, for all his faults, Malcolm the 10th.

It is amazing that you somehow speak for all the greatest African American's in history.

It is your ilk that condemned MLK and called him a traitor.

How much do you actually know about the writings and ideologies of Washington or Dubois that aren't mined quotes?
A little. What do you know about them that would lead you to believe that they would be approving of the #BLM movement?
And I am absolutely certain they would not approve the killing of unarmed black men.
First of all, the issue is not "unarmed". I am sure both of them are intelligent enough to realize that merely being unarmed does not make one not a threat, or the shooting unjustified.
Second, I think we can all agree that unjustified police killings are unacceptable, regardless of race. That is the chief problem with #BLM:
- they conflate justified and unjustified police killings, often calling perfectly justified killings "murder' and have protested against police killings even where the decedent was arfmed, such as Sylville Smith, Quanice Hayes or Keith L. Scott.
- they are susceptible to ridiculous conspiracy theories. For example when Sandra Bland, who had a history of mental health issues, took her own life in jail, #BLMers were quick claiming she was murdered and that the suicide was staged. When a black gay man committed suicide at Atlanta's Piedmont Park, #BLM claimed he was "lynched" by the KKK and they even invented stories that KKK was holding a rally at Piedmont Park that week. Similar claims were made when 18 year old Ben Keita was found hanged in Washington State, even though there is no evidence of foul play.
- they focus solely on blacks who have been killed by police, forgetting that people of all races have been killed by police under questionable circumstances. This is not uniquely a black issue.
- on the other hand, they ignore the much larger problem of blacks being killed by criminals, most of them black.
- many #BLM protests have degenerated into violent riots characterized by arson, looting etc. Others have led to blocking highways.

For example, #BLM movement pretty much ignored the killing of an elderly man on Facebook live because the killer was neither a police officer nor a white (or off-white like Z) civilian.

All of this is ignored when you simplistically reduce #BLM to "not approve the killing of unarmed black men". And all of these would provide plenty of reasons to reject the movement as harmful.

It is amazing that you somehow speak for all the greatest African American's in history.
No I am not speaking for anybody, I am merely quoting them.
Also, African American's what? (we do not use apostrophes for plurals, e.g. see me not using the apostrophe when forming the the plural of "apostrophe")
Angry-Flower-Apostrophe.jpg

No it wasn't! You know nothing about me and my "ilk".

No I am not speaking for anybody, I am merely quoting them.
Also, African American's what? (we do not use apostrophes for plurals, e.g. see me not using the apostrophe when forming the the plural of "apostrophe")
Angry-Flower-Apostrophe.jpg

Bullshit.

You are quoting them on completely different matters and CLAIMING the words also apply to your ignorant grievances.

It is dishonest.

And transparent idiocy.

You forgot Paul Mooney

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl_YXYbtksk[/YOUTUBE]

No, I didn't

PM is great. I love Paul Mooney. He makes me laugh, he makes me think, and at some point in time in his stand up, he's gonna make me uncomfortable, and I will have to think even more.

But PM can be something of an inside-baseball treasure. People know him, but ...

PM spent many of his most creative years standing beside his best friend so a lot of people didn't get to see his shine. Not his fault, not his best friend's fault, Some people just burst forth, and his best friend burst forth.

His best friend was Richard Pryor. Pryor is the Icon.

Will you settle for 'Folk Hero' then? :p

A little. What do you know about them that would lead you to believe that they would be approving of the #BLM movement?
First of all, the issue is not "unarmed". I am sure both of them are intelligent enough to realize that merely being unarmed does not make one not a threat, or the shooting unjustified.
Second, I think we can all agree that unjustified police killings are unacceptable, regardless of race. That is the chief problem with #BLM:
- they conflate justified and unjustified police killings, often calling perfectly justified killings "murder' and have protested against police killings even where the decedent was arfmed, such as Sylville Smith, Quanice Hayes or Keith L. Scott.
- they are susceptible to ridiculous conspiracy theories. For example when Sandra Bland, who had a history of mental health issues, took her own life in jail, #BLMers were quick claiming she was murdered and that the suicide was staged. When a black gay man committed suicide at Atlanta's Piedmont Park, #BLM claimed he was "lynched" by the KKK and they even invented stories that KKK was holding a rally at Piedmont Park that week. Similar claims were made when 18 year old Ben Keita was found hanged in Washington State, even though there is no evidence of foul play.
- they focus solely on blacks who have been killed by police, forgetting that people of all races have been killed by police under questionable circumstances. This is not uniquely a black issue.
- on the other hand, they ignore the much larger problem of blacks being killed by criminals, most of them black.
- many #BLM protests have degenerated into violent riots characterized by arson, looting etc. Others have led to blocking highways.

For example, #BLM movement pretty much ignored the killing of an elderly man on Facebook live because the killer was neither a police officer nor a white (or off-white like Z) civilian.

All of this is ignored when you simplistically reduce #BLM to "not approve the killing of unarmed black men". And all of these would provide plenty of reasons to reject the movement as harmful.

Derec, here's some advice.

Don't quote people you don't know or know little about

Makes you look ignorant.

The long and consistent posting history of any single poster is certainly more telling than the actions of an amorphous group. So, it is intellectually dishonest for you to simultaneously claim that unter (or anyone else) can know nothing about you and your "ilk" while expecting to be taken seriously about knowing about #BLM and its "ilk".

Derec, here's some advice.
Oh, can't wait!

Don't quote people you don't know or know little about
Little is a relative term. Also, these quotes speak for themselves, and indicate that neither one of these gentlemen would have much time for #BLM.
Now if you think these quotes are taken out of context, please let me know why you think that.
If you think that either or both of them would have a positive opinion of #BLM, please let me know why you think that.
That's how one engages in a discussion. Not with condescendingly dismissive responses.

Makes you look ignorant.
Actually, what makes you look ignorant is completely ignoring my comments. Again, please tell me how I am supposedly wrong and why you think I am wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

The long and consistent posting history of any single poster
I have consistently posted against groups like #BLM. I do not deny it. They are a utterly despicable (not to say deplorable) movement.

You are quoting them on completely different matters and CLAIMING the words also apply to your ignorant grievances.
It is dishonest.
Nothing dishonest about what I posted. I never claimed that DuBois and Washington referred to #BLM in these quotes. That would be dishonest. What they were referring to are conditions in their own day, and these are obviously not "completely different" matters to the conditions of today. While there are significant differences, there are also fundamental similarities, and what's more the developments since they were alive make what they said in these quotes much more applicable, not less.
If they were frustrated by the racial grievance industry and whining in their own day, how much more would they be frustrated in today's America, where a biracial man just completed two terms as president for example?

And transparent idiocy.
Speak for yourself!

P.S.: I hope that you have at least learned something about apostrophes.

Wow. How did you think to look to Wiki for a definition, rather than a dictionary?
I was deliberately missing the point to make another one.
People are arguing as to who qualifies as an "icon", but the truth is that whether or not an entertainer is an "icon" or not, entertainers' opinions about political issues are not any more relevant than that of any random person off the street.

Back
Top Bottom