• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Black Icons Against BLM

I have consistently posted against groups like #BLM. I do not deny it. They are a utterly despicable (not to say deplorable) movement.
It is intellectually dishonest to quote mine. Your response failed to address the actual content of my post which was
The long and consistent posting history of any single poster is certainly more telling than the actions of an amorphous group. So, it is intellectually dishonest for you to simultaneously claim that unter (or anyone else) can know nothing about you and your "ilk" while expecting to be taken seriously about knowing about #BLM and its "ilk".

Nothing dishonest about what I posted. I never claimed that DuBois and Washington referred to #BLM in these quotes. That would be dishonest. What they were referring to are conditions in their own day, and these are obviously not "completely different" matters to the conditions of today. While there are significant differences, there are also fundamental similarities, and what's more the developments since they were alive make what they said in these quotes much more applicable, not less.
If they were frustrated by the racial grievance industry and whining in their own day, how much more would they be frustrated in today's America, where a biracial man just completed two terms as president for example?

And transparent idiocy.
Speak for yourself!

P.S.: I hope that you have at least learned something about apostrophes.

You don't have the slightest clue what they were talking about in those quotes.

It is a dishonest ignorant rhetorical tactic.

Those people are not on your side.

They condemned people like you when they got the chance.

How much power does rap REEEALY have over young minds? I think it creates problems. I think rap is evil. Not all rap. I feel like I agree with a lot of underground rap, but key word being underground.

Rap and caustic Hip Hop culture could be bent in any way, to serve anything. What will "they" use it for next? What will you let them use black people for next? I'd like to see more people like Neil Degrasse. I do him the favor and drop the Tyson out of his name, because Tyson is a black psychopath, and not the greatest role model. There is no relation of course but words are what they are when you read them.

It isn't just rap, what bothers me, it is this irritating way people think on Twitter and places like that. I say rap or lazy words like icon because I'm trying to get a blunt point across. I can't afford to look up an expensive word but the point got across.

Black Twitter strolling experience? Mention something rational sometime and enjoy 400 attempts at a response. You'll understand a third of them as the English Language. Lots of rap references in responses - as if people think in these bad rhymes. Chilling when I think about just how many people are like this. Are they just messing around? Are they really this threatening? Well, rap could be (is) used at key times to help things like BLM reach critical mass, and that is bad. Rap is a problem. I'd say the same thing about rock, if as many people molded their lives around it. Or is it supposed to be the other way around? I see less distinction everyday and it sickens me.

No it wasn't! You know nothing about me and my "ilk".
The long and consistent posting history of any single poster is certainly more telling than the actions of an amorphous group. So, it is intellectually dishonest for you to simultaneously claim that unter (or anyone else) can know nothing about you and your "ilk" while expecting to be taken seriously about knowing about #BLM and its "ilk".

It doesn't help that groups like black like BLM, for example, are often more effective at preventing riots than the police, who if anything sometimes outright instigate them by overacting wildly to next to nothing (as in Ferguson and Baltimore). If people are just marching or standing around (or leaving high school, as occured in Baltimore), and they come in wearing riot gear or military gear, yes, they're going to piss people off., particularly in they start firing rubber bullets or tear gas wildly. You're attacking them em masse for no reason.

A little. What do you know about them that would lead you to believe that they would be approving of the #BLM movement?

First of all, the issue is not "unarmed". I am sure both of them are intelligent enough to realize that merely being unarmed does not make one not a threat, or the shooting unjustified.
Second, I think we can all agree that unjustified police killings are unacceptable, regardless of race. That is the chief problem with #BLM:
- they conflate justified and unjustified police killings, often calling perfectly justified killings "murder' and have protested against police killings even where the decedent was arfmed, such as Sylville Smith, Quanice Hayes or Keith L. Scott.
- they are susceptible to ridiculous conspiracy theories. For example when Sandra Bland, who had a history of mental health issues, took her own life in jail, #BLMers were quick claiming she was murdered and that the suicide was staged. When a black gay man committed suicide at Atlanta's Piedmont Park, #BLM claimed he was "lynched" by the KKK and they even invented stories that KKK was holding a rally at Piedmont Park that week. Similar claims were made when 18 year old Ben Keita was found hanged in Washington State, even though there is no evidence of foul play.
- they focus solely on blacks who have been killed by police, forgetting that people of all races have been killed by police under questionable circumstances. This is not uniquely a black issue.
- on the other hand, they ignore the much larger problem of blacks being killed by criminals, most of them black.
- many #BLM protests have degenerated into violent riots characterized by arson, looting etc. Others have led to blocking highways.

For example, #BLM movement pretty much ignored the killing of an elderly man on Facebook live because the killer was neither a police officer nor a white (or off-white like Z) civilian.

All of this is ignored when you simplistically reduce #BLM to "not approve the killing of unarmed black men". And all of these would provide plenty of reasons to reject the movement as harmful.

Derec, here's some advice.

Don't quote people you don't know or know little about

Makes you look ignorant.

Nice job of avoiding addressing his point.

Derec, here's some advice.

Don't quote people you don't know or know little about

Makes you look ignorant.

Nice job of avoiding addressing his point.

He didn't really have a point beyond "I found some quotes from black people, and I think they would have not liked Black Lives Matter."

This is basically the point of the very flawed OP...assuming that since you found a black person critical of BLM, that somehow invalidates BLM as a whole. Derec - like the OP - assigned an out-sized level of credibility to the worlds of select black people taken out of context. This is not terribly new. Remember Sister Souljah in the 90s? You'd have thought she was the voice of black America by the media coverage, but she wasn't. In this thread a rapper who has had some successful mixtapes and an album that charted is suddenly a "black icon."

Is he? No, but what he's said has apparently resonated with people who have apparently never heard his music, and probably don't know much about him beyond this one interview. It doesn't matter, though, because they're able to hold him up as an example. "See, even this rapper with prison tattoos and a criminal record thinks BLM is bad!"

Then Derec jumps in with his "every black person is a thug" routine and it all goes to shit.

He didn't really have a point beyond "I found some quotes from black people, and I think they would have not liked Black Lives Matter."
No, I really do have a point, and if you'd actually bothered to read my posts, you might have gotten it.

This is basically the point of the very flawed OP...assuming that since you found a black person critical of BLM, that somehow invalidates BLM as a whole.
Wrong. There is plenty of things that invalidate #BLM as a whole without it.

Derec - like the OP - assigned an out-sized level of credibility to the worlds of select black people taken out of context.
The "select black people" are two of the most prominent black intellectuals in history. Also, I do not see how I have taken what they have said "out of context". What context do you think there is that makes their words mean something different? Or are you just throwing "out of context" allegation out haphazardly?

This is not terribly new. Remember Sister Souljah in the 90s? You'd have thought she was the voice of black America by the media coverage, but she wasn't.
She still called for black people to start killing white people. Clinton was right to call her out in it. And since when does somebody have to be "voice of x America" for them to be criticized for saying something outrageous?

In this thread a rapper who has had some successful mixtapes and an album that charted is suddenly a "black icon."
Ok, so the rapper was misiconed. Big deal.

"See, even this rapper with prison tattoos and a criminal record thinks BLM is bad!"
Makes him more discerning than the #BLM fanboys and girls.

Then Derec jumps in with his "every black person is a thug" routine and it all goes to shit.
I never said anything even remotely approaching that. Your statement is really libelous.
All I said is that #BLM glorifies thugs, which is objectively true.

It doesn't help that groups like black like BLM, for example, are often more effective at preventing riots than the police, who if anything sometimes outright instigate them by overacting wildly to next to nothing (as in Ferguson and Baltimore).
LMAO!
2014-11-28-2380279D000005780image10_1416955333642.jpg

baltimore-riot-police-car-AFP-640x480.jpg

If people are just marching or standing around (or leaving high school, as occured in Baltimore), and they come in wearing riot gear or military gear, yes, they're going to piss people off., particularly in they start firing rubber bullets or tear gas wildly.
You are pretending that these were "peaceful protests" that only became violent riots because police somehow provoked them into becoming looters, arsonists etc. That is as much a lie as that Michael Brown was a "gentle giant" who "had his hands up" in surrender.

You're attacking them em masse for no reason.
They engaged in riots, looting and arson from the very beginning.

the OP - assigned an out-sized level of credibility to the worlds of select black people taken out of context.

Ford I've kept a tablet next to the toilet for years. Guess where I hang out while defecating? BLACK TWITTER. I've done it for a while. I see the problem clearly. I watched and learned from millions of people. The problem is in attitude. Attitudes caused by Hip Hop and all that comes with it. Hop Hop must be stopped.

This isn't the best way to bring forth my concerns, because I'm not a good thread maker. I rarely do this, but you'd rather me do this, than invade your thread? Nobody was complaining about BLM yesterday so I took action and made sure that people got to complain about black people. You agree that we should be complaining about black people? Yes, so do I. They are totally scary right now. I don't know how to debate but I'm TELLING you there is something here. Eventually I will put it in a way that you can understand. It is my own fault that you don't get it yet, but I hope you stick with me. I really do care.

Not trying to be a dick rider here, but most of your (racial subject) whipping boy's points are valid. I haven't seen Derec say anything racist and I usually agree with whatever Derec has to say about black matters. I may be missing some history, but from up close he seems legit, and "intellectually honest", whatever the hell that means.

Bottom Line: The biggest threat to you and your family is Hip Hop, which doesn't belong to blacks. Hip Hop is an entity that is molded by evil people who are NOT black. It is sad that black people do not understand this. It worries me that you don't understand. You should understand. Why don't you understand, Ford? Is it because I'm not good at debating, or is it that you have to make things more complicated than they need to be?

Some rap stars against BLM, anyone? I'd jump to the next artist but a lot of them are in a stage of ambivalence. When more speak out, the movement will die. Then we can sleep soundly.

"I wasn't a victim of police brutality, I got my ass whooped because I was conducting myself like a nigger with no respect for authority - so I deserved what I got. Now I no longer have those problems because I changed the way I conduct myself". -Kevin Gates.

A few more Kevin Gates is all it will take, so I think it is important to find these people and support them. His music ROCKS btw. Not a gangsta rap fan, but he is NICE!

They engaged in riots, looting and arson from the very beginning.
You focus on riots that evolve out of protests while ignoring the examples of peaceful BLM protests such as

https://nccnews.expressions.syr.edu/2016/08/10/chief-fowler-syracuse-blm-protest-was-peaceful-because-we-said-out-of-the-way/

http://www.teenvogue.com/story/teen-activists-shut-down-chicago-streets-peaceful-blm-protest. The BLM Dallas protest was peaceful until someone who was not part of the protest decided to kill a police officer.

Such examples should not be difficult at all to find for unbiased individual who is intellectually honest about finding out about the BLM movement. Nor should it be difficult for unbiased individual who is intellectually honest to avoid sweeping generalizations about a loose movement of people from the actions of a small portion of alleged activists. So, what exactly is your excuse?

Ford I've kept a tablet next to the toilet for years. Guess where I hang out while defecating? BLACK TWITTER. I've done it for a while. I see the problem clearly. I watched and learned from millions of people. The problem is in attitude. Attitudes caused by Hip Hop and all that comes with it. Hop Hop must be stopped.

This isn't the best way to bring forth my concerns, because I'm not a good thread maker. I rarely do this, but you'd rather me do this, than invade your thread? Nobody was complaining about BLM yesterday so I took action and made sure that people got to complain about black people. You agree that we should be complaining about black people? Yes, so do I. They are totally scary right now. I don't know how to debate but I'm TELLING you there is something here. Eventually I will put it in a way that you can understand. It is my own fault that you don't get it yet, but I hope you stick with me. I really do care.

Not trying to be a dick rider here, but most of your (racial subject) whipping boy's points are valid. I haven't seen Derec say anything racist and I usually agree with whatever Derec has to say about black matters. I may be missing some history, but from up close he seems legit, and "intellectually honest", whatever the hell that means.

Bottom Line: The biggest threat to you and your family is Hip Hop, which doesn't belong to blacks. Hip Hop is an entity that is molded by evil people who are NOT black. It is sad that black people do not understand this. It worries me that you don't understand. You should understand. Why don't you understand, Ford? Is it because I'm not good at debating, or is it that you have to make things more complicated than they need to be?

Some rap stars against BLM, anyone? I'd jump to the next artist but a lot of them are in a stage of ambivalence. When more speak out, the movement will die. Then we can sleep soundly.

"I wasn't a victim of police brutality, I got my ass whooped because I was conducting myself like a nigger with no respect for authority - so I deserved what I got. Now I no longer have those problems because I changed the way I conduct myself". -Kevin Gates.

A few more Kevin Gates is all it will take, so I think it is important to find these people and support them. His music ROCKS btw. Not a gangsta rap fan, but he is NICE!

Wow. I don't even know where to begin.

Maybe where you began...BLACK TWITTER. I'm not on Twitter, but I'm fairly well certain there's no such thing as "BLACK TWITTER," just Twitter. The fact that you spend your time in the bathroom reading Tweets from black people and getting all worked up about it is a bit odd. Perhaps you should switch to magazines?

As for complaining about black people and being scared of them...um...no. While I don't follow BLACK TWITTER like you, I have co-workers, friends, and family members who are black. Never been afraid of any of them. With regards to hip hop, I'd say it is you who don't understand. I've actually had the opportunity to meet a few hip hop icons. I've emceed hip hop shows. Interviewed artists and helped promote records. I am not the least bit afraid of hip hop.

"Black twitter" is a real thing, especially for black activists.

Back
Top Bottom