• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Blowout White Sale at the Corrupt Republicans store

I didn't make it all about race, Einstein. That this level of political criminality is white man's privilege land. It's a side note, but of course you would come and make it about race, forget the rest of the picture.

You put it right in the threat title.

Yes, because it's funny, not because it's the point of the thread. Hint: it's not.

Wait.... Derec saw "white sale" and thought YOU meant only white people were getting the pardons?
That's what she wrote. Unless "white sale" is some obscure expression down her way I am not familiar with.

No, you're right, I totally meant old white men, but again, just a funny mention of a relevant aspect of white collar and political crime, Trump's political criminality, to be precise, which is the point of the thread, and that being an old white man's territory is just a related afterthought. And it's funny. "White sale," hehe. Die mad about it, snowflake. :)

I didn't make it all about race, Einstein. That this level of political criminality is white man's privilege land. It's a side note, but of course you would come and make it about race, forget the rest of the picture.

You put it right in the threat title.

Derec here is the wiki bit on white sale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_sale

Please connect your racist interpretation on anything in that article and you be admitted to the next white sale I give.

Don't hold your beath.

sheesh

Why does Jarhyn only get three words?
i would guess that
Modern political dialogue only counts if it fits on a bumpersticker.
BLM, All lives Matter, Blue Lives Matter,
Eat The Rich, Fuck the Poor, Tax the Churches,
MAGA, Resist!

No one has the attention span for nuance behind the actual discussion!

Short!
Pithy!
Snappy!!

I disagree. People can speak and operate under many different levels of complexity and focus. On one hand, you're capable of writing out paragraph after paragraph of well thought out, luminous commentary, and on the other you're also able to distill it into a tiny blip that can be yelled out to the void of media packed with meaning power of all kinds, inflammatory or virtue signalling, whatever. Then it's a big conversation either way. Nobody thinks or reacts just one way all the time (although trump cultists are pushing the envelope there). Add to that the fact that we all operate in a hive mind mode all the time on some level without being conscious of it, yelling out sound bites looks like more of an adaptation to our tech/info tribe of seven billion than a fault.

TL: DR.

For the record, personally, I oppose prisons because they don't work.
Well, sometimes there are prison breaks, but they work pretty well overall at keeping the criminals in. :)

I don't oppose custody, I oppose slave labor and poor conditions, abuse, a lack of compassionate oversight, and a racially motivated drug war targeted at punishment rather than treatment.

So you don't really oppose jails and prisons. That's what's so infuriating about discussing these topics. It's all too often ...
wellyes..gif

I would actually agree with you on a lot of these points, but none of them amount to abolishing prisons.

Prison labor: disagree that it is "slave labor". Prisoners get room and board and it's only fair that they contribute, and besides they do get paid for working prison jobs. And having a job contributes to reforming the prisoner I think. Now of course their freedoms are restricted, that's the whole point of a custodial sentence.

Poor conditions: Where they exist, they should be addressed.

War on drugs: I disagree that it is "racially motivated", but I agree that our approach has been wrong. US is locking up too many people for crimes that should not carry a custodial sentence and in some cases, for crimes that should not be crimes at all. Example being sex work. But the "war on commercial sex" is championed by many on the feminist Left, including many posters here. However, many people in prison belong there for things like robberies, assaults, murders. And sometimes they get let out too soon. #BLM hero Mario Woods (he who inspired Kaep to "take the knee") was in prison for armed robbery, managed to fool the parole board and was released early on parole3. He went on to stab a man shortly after being released from prison. Abolish the prisons crowd thinks that people who rob or stab others should not be locked up in prisons.

This is what it means to "end prisons".
No, it doesn't.

It does not mean to cease legal consequences. It doesn't mean that we should just do nothing. It means we should do something that isn't still just fucking slavery.

Locking up dangerous people is not "fucking slavery".

People can speak and operate under many different levels of complexity and focus.

But some people are better than others. Generally speaking, most people can. Extremists aren't very good at nuanced views. Left or right or other, political extremists don't understand or accept nuances. Three word messages are, unfortunately, the rule in modern USA media.

Go beyond that, and some extremist will get a bunch of media attention by riling up their extremist social media following.

OK OK!

"Make America Great Again" is four words. Sue me
Tom

Wait.... Derec saw "white sale" and thought YOU meant only white people were getting the pardons?
That's what she wrote. Unless "white sale" is some obscure expression down her way I am not familiar with.
Your disfamiliarity with a term about 140 years old does not make it obscure.
I read the title and did not once think about white people.

I did kind of think that it was inappropriate, but that's because i associate white sales with being out of season. Moving merchandise, not because anyone needs it, but to clear the shelves for new merchandise. And this is DEFINITELY the proper season for bullshit pardons. Time is funning out, no deal too scuzzy, no friendship too distant! All pardons final! Everyone must go!

Why does Jarhyn only get three words?
i would guess that
Modern political dialogue only counts if it fits on a bumpersticker.
BLM, All lives Matter, Blue Lives Matter,
Eat The Rich, Fuck the Poor, Tax the Churches,
MAGA, Resist!

No one has the attention span for nuance behind the actual discussion!

Short!
Pithy!
Snappy!!

I disagree. People can speak and operate under many different levels of complexity and focus. On one hand, you're capable of writing out paragraph after paragraph of well thought out, luminous commentary, and on the other you're also able to distill it into a tiny blip that can be yelled out to the void of media packed with meaning power of all kinds, inflammatory or virtue signalling, whatever. Then it's a big conversation either way. Nobody thinks or reacts just one way all the time (although trump cultists are pushing the envelope there). Add to that the fact that we all operate in a hive mind mode all the time on some level without being conscious of it, yelling out sound bites looks like more of an adaptation to our tech/info tribe of seven billion than a fault.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47x9pqo8sg48c3stbbj0m6l4twupf7z2boageacxwh&rid=giphy.gif

I did kind of think that it was inappropriate, but that's because i associate white sales with being out of season. Moving merchandise, not because anyone needs it, but to clear the shelves for new merchandise. And this is DEFINITELY the proper season for bullshit pardons. Time is funning out, no deal too scuzzy, no friendship too distant! All pardons final! Everyone must go!

Point taken. :thumbsup: But I did mean it to mean white people, too. Abusing presidential power for four years without recourse amid a constellation of (mostly white) accomplices and connected criminals of all kinds? Unless you're a country that has few or no white people, that's white as all get out. It's white privilege on steroids.

But the thread is not about that. It's about Trump's snapping up all the best corrupt Republicans he can while he can and paying for them in pardons. You might say the meta story here is "What are supernaturally privileged old white dinosaurs doing to fuck up the world today?" (a.k.a., US Presidential Politics) But the thread is just about Trump's pardoning spree whether Derec likes it or not.

The connection to white people is a given. It's not even controversial, not even to Derec. But his Republican reflex is always going to be, "No, YOU'RE teh racistses!!!!11!!"

View attachment 30973

No, I got the joke and rep'd an lol. I just wanted to talk about that.

Anyhow, "Schweitzerlinen" still has a creepy feel to it.

THis is hilarious to me. I totally thought of clearance sale and not of racism.

Point taken. :thumbsup: But I did mean it to mean white people, too.

Now it is more funny.

How kind of you to point out that my position is not my position :rolleyes:.

"Keeping people in"...[a state of abject suffering]...

I oppose slave labor and poor conditions, abuse, a lack of compassionate oversight, and a racially motivated drug war targeted at punishment rather than treatment. I'll repeat: THIS IS WHAT JAILS AND PRISONS ARE. This is the shape of what someone says when they say 'jail': cheap warehousing for humans.

You can disagree whether it is slave labor all you want and all that will make you is more wrong.

Slave labor is any labor wherein the worker gets no choice other than "work or be punished". No it is not "reasonable" to expect someone to work for "room and board" if they have no free choice over the work and board.

Being forced to work with no ability to negotiate for what you get for working, no ability to do other work, no ability to choose how you spend the "money" you get, that's fucking slavery. Congratulations, DEREC, YOU are a slaver, supporting slavery.

And you can argue all you want, but the architects of the drug war have already spoken, it was entirely racially motivated.

Does make you wonder if democracy is that great.

It isn't that great. It's just the best form of governance that we have come up with so far. Let us know when you come up with something better.
Not best, worst:
"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others"

" Let us know when you come up with something better."

The big weakness of democracy is the assumption that the electorate is informed and concerned and active. This was a reasonable assumption back when the electorate consisted almost entirely of wealthy WASP males. That was over 200 years ago and the USA was pretty immoral at the time.
Things have changed since then. For better or worse, the USA isn't the oligarchy it was in the late 18th century.

Not quite.

Tom

The big weakness of democracy is the assumption that the electorate is informed and concerned and active. This was a reasonable assumption back when the electorate consisted almost entirely of wealthy WASP males. That was over 200 years ago and the USA was pretty immoral at the time.
Things have changed since then. For better or worse, the USA isn't the oligarchy it was in the late 18th century.

Not quite.

Tom

Au contraire — or is this the same point you make? — the U.S.A. is still largely ruled by wealthy white males (often not Anglo-Saxon or Protestant but that was always an oversimplification). White elites have their way on tax policies, regulatory policies, etc., have great influence on legislation, and hand-design programs like the 2008-2009 bailout for the enrichment of their ilk.

And (partially) disenfranchising the lower class is still one of their techniques to maintain political control.

Back
Top Bottom