• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Brazil 2014--The FIFA World Cup Thread

Eh, I dunno if that was a flop. Robben might have dramaticized it, but the Mexican player clearly had his foot in the wrong spot at the wrong time, and clearly made contact. The ref has to call that.
No, he doesn't. Robben made a meal out of it, and he had already lost the ball. On the other hand, at this level, every defender should know Robben is a flopper and should not put themselves into that position.
Well whatever you think of the penalty a clearer one wasn't given in the first half (also a foul on Robben) so it's either karmic payback or the ref making amends. :)
Either way, go Oranjes.

Eh, I dunno if that was a flop. Robben might have dramaticized it, but the Mexican player clearly had his foot in the wrong spot at the wrong time, and clearly made contact. The ref has to call that.
No, he doesn't. Robben made a meal out of it, and he had already lost the ball. On the other hand, at this level, every defender should know Robben is a flopper and should not put themselves into that position.
Well whatever you think of the penalty a clearer one wasn't given in the first half (also a foul on Robben) so it's either karmic payback or the ref making amends. :)
Robben had clearly lost control of the ball in the first half, so most referees would not have called that a penalty kick. The idea that referees (especially at that level) make amends is laughable. In this case, the referee did not hesitate and he was in good position to sell the call.

GOOOOOOOAL!!!!!

Costa Rica beat the Hellenes!!!!

The whole country is partying in the streets. I'm outta here! Wooooohoo!

Hope it's a good party. Outstanding effort by Los Ticos today to earn a quarterfinal spot.
Indeed. Well deserved victory. Held off the Greek for an hour with a man down and should have had that penalty on account of the handball anyway.

Watch for yourself.

1. Robben was still moving towards the ball he himself played last. He was still in control of the ball in the box
2. He clearly tripped over a foot
3. The foot he tripped over was not moving towards the ball so there was no intent to play that ball. You clearly see Mexico's #4 planting his foot on or just before Robben's foot. This is the foul.

That my dear people makes it a foul worthy of a penalty. All the rest is detail. The penalty was baited but entrapment is allowed in sports. This is a common tactics in many sports (eg. playing the ball on an opponents foot in field hockey). Tactics is using the rules.

Robben might have tried to stay on his feet a bit harder but he had no obligation to. It was not in his interest to damage-control, the victim has no interest in downplaying the effects of the crime.

Some of you might also want to read up on what a dive is. Since there was a true foul and Robben did not feint injury it was not a dive.

Hope it's a good party. Outstanding effort by Los Ticos today to earn a quarterfinal spot.
Indeed. Well deserved victory. Held off the Greek for an hour with a man down and should have had that penalty on account of the handball anyway.

It may be our last victory celebration, because next time the rival is... Nederland. :sadyes:

Anyway, whatever comes of that, C.R. still made it to the select eight. Arguably CR is one of the eight best teams in the world right now.

It may be our last victory celebration, because next time the rival is... Nederland. :sadyes:

Anyway, whatever comes of that, C.R. still made it to the select eight. Arguably CR is one of the eight best teams in the world right now.

I don't recall ever seeing 5 penalties as good as the one Costa Rica scored in the shootout - there's normally one or two (or more) fairly feeble efforts.

3 for 4 over the weekend for picks. Wrong on the penalties. Predicted only the Columbia v Uruguay game would go to penalties.

Major props to Costa Rica. Huge hill to climb up to take on the Dutch. Costa Rica deserves their spot in the quarterfinals. They alone represent CONCACAF right now. Shows the major importance of winning your group instead of finishing second. Mexico gets Brazil, Costa Rica got a relatively weak Greece.

The Brazil-Chile game was so intense, I read somewhere that Ann Coulter died of a heart attack at the end of it. Brazil's defense has been making completely insane choices at times. They are lucky to still be in it.

Maybe the most underappreciated team would be Columbia. They are without their version of Suarez, ie Falcao (sp?). And they are cruising. Uruguay kept it interesting, but they just couldn't make it work in the end. Brazil v Columbia will be scorcher. The intensity and passion in the crowd, both teams South American, both wanting it terribly so, Brazil because they feel it belongs to them, Columbia because they've never made it this far.
Watch for yourself.

1. Robben was still moving towards the ball he himself played last. He was still in control of the ball in the box
3. The foot he tripped over was not moving towards the ball so there was no intent to play that ball. You clearly see Mexico's #4 planting his foot on or just before Robben's foot. This is the foul.

Point 3 is critical! That foot has no other reason to be there than to trip Robben. I'm not exactly certain what the announcer was talking about, other than likely from a bias. It hurts a bunch that Mexico had to exit that way, but Robben had possession and was tripped right near the goal. It is a penalty.

Robben might have tried to stay on his feet a bit harder but he had no obligation to. It was not in his interest to damage-control, the victim has no interest in downplaying the effects of the crime.

Some of you might also want to read up on what a dive is. Since there was a true foul and Robben did not feint injury it was not a dive.
That may be splitting hairs. Injury is not a prerequisite for a "dive" I think. Unless there is a "dive" and a "flop". Regardless, Robben had managed to keep possession which is a major player in whether this gets called or not. Usually a striker will have lost possession and then try to fall and get a call. Robben was still in control and the Mexican player didn't have to put the foot there to stop his advance.

And oh my lumps! What a shot for the first goal by the Netherlands. Ochoa couldn't have stopped that if he was standing right in front of the trajectory, as he'd been blown to pieces. An absolute missile!

Watch for yourself.

No he wasn't.
He clearly flopped over the foot.
That my dear people makes it a foul worthy of a penalty. All the rest is detail. The penalty was baited but entrapment is allowed in sports. This is a common tactics in many sports (eg. playing the ball on an opponents foot in field hockey). Tactics is using the rules.....
You should read the Laws of the Game. And a dive does not require intent to feign an injury.

I think it was a flop. The referee did not.

I don't recall ever seeing 5 penalties as good as the one Costa Rica scored in the shootout - there's normally one or two (or more) fairly feeble efforts.

It's even more impressive considering that all five of the penalty-takers for Costa Rica had been on the field the entire game and had to be flat-out exhausted.

HettnYq.png

Wild finish to Germany-Algeria today. The upcoming Germany-France quarterfinal this Friday could be a good one, although you have to wonder how much mental and physical energy Germany will have left after today's marathon effort.

One thing I have always wondered is why Mexico don't do better. Football is their most popular sport and they have a big population

This article offers a few suggestions. One that I find plausible, as at least part of the reason, is that relatively few Mexican players play professionally in Europe, either now or in the past. Of their current 23-man roster, fewer than half are currently playing in Europe, and several of those play for second division clubs or in second-tier leagues like Portugal. Only Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez and Hector Moreno, and maybe Andres Guardado and/or Giovani dos Santos, appear to be established regulars for first division clubs in top-tier leagues (the top tier being defined as England, Germany, Italy and Spain, with France and Holland as borderline cases). That means that when they go the World Cup, relatively few of their players have substantial experience playing at the highest level professionally.

One thing I have always wondered is why Mexico don't do better. Football is their most popular sport and they have a big population

This article offers a few suggestions. One that I find plausible, as at least part of the reason, is that relatively few Mexican players play professionally in Europe, either now or in the past. Of their current 23-man roster, fewer than half are currently playing in Europe, and several of those play for second division clubs or in second-tier leagues like Portugal. Only Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez and Hector Moreno, and maybe Andres Guardado and/or Giovani dos Santos, appear to be established regulars for first division clubs in top-tier leagues (the top tier being defined as England, Germany, Italy and Spain, with France and Holland as borderline cases). That means that when they go the World Cup, relatively few of their players have substantial experience playing at the highest level professionally.

Which raises the question of why their players aren't making it to a professional level.

Football is big enough in Europe that top tier teams are poaching players and developing them from a young age. If I recall correctly Cristiano Ronaldo, for instance, was brought up in some elite soccer academies from a very young age. This would tend to go for players who are not quite as skilled as well.

In a country like Canada we don't have the infrastructure in place to develop top tier players, so very few of us ever make it past the MLS. I would imagine a similar (but slightly better) situation exists in Mexico.

A chicken or the egg issue.

Compare the situation where no Costa Rican footballer played in Europe prior to the first Costa Rican surprise in Italy '90. After that several have. And after this Cup, you can bet more will play. First you have to play with huevos, then you get your chance.

Today is the big day. Belgium v USA. Belgium are the better team on paper, but the US have played pretty well in this cup. More importantly, they seem to have just a bit left in the tank in the late stages of the game. They will be better rested. So the question becomes, can they beat a very good European team? The US almost never beats the Europeans. And Belgium is a tall order. But Belgium, while winning, haven't been dominant. I give the US a 1 in 4 shot. 1 in 3 if Bradley stops doing silly things.

The winner takes on the winner between the Swiss and Argentina. The Swiss are the dark horses. A team that always outperforms. Argentina does otherwise. Great talent, but not advancing as far as they'd like. Messi will fight for this though. I think the Swiss have a better shot at winning than the US. Gosh, imagine a Swiss v USA quarterfinal. That probably means it'll be a Belgium v Argentina quarterfinal then.

Here's the predictions of the day from fivethirtyeight:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/world-cup-crib-notes-day-19/

They give Belgium a slightly better than slight edge, and Argentina is a runaway.

I don't hate the idea of an Argentina - US final, I always find it interesting when the US play, but on the other hand as a Canadian I love seeing the hopes and dreams of my neighbours to the south crushed with an iron fist.

Back
Top Bottom