• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Brazil 2014--The FIFA World Cup Thread

Looking ahead to the quarterfinals:

1) France-Germany. I would give France the tiniest edge in this one; they seem to be in somewhat better form, and Germany played a grueling 120 minutes against Algeria in the 2nd round. The wild card element in this one is the news that's going around about something like a third of the German squad reportedly suffering from some sort of flu-like bug.

2) Brazil-Colombia. Colombia have definitely been in better form up to this point, while Brazil has struggled some, and Neymar, their only reliable offensive threat, is banged up, while Luis Gustavo, the likely candidate to try to contain James Rodriguez, is suspended. In Brazil's favor, it's a home match for them, and in their 20 previous competitive meetings, Colombia have won exactly one (with 13 wins for Brazil and 6 draws).

3) Argentina-Belgium. I would lean a little towards Belgium in this one. Like Brazil, co-favorite Argentina has sputtered offensively, relying almost entirely on Lionel Messi. Higuain has been invisible, di Maria has bustled about with lots of energy but little quality, and Aguero is injured. Switzerland used a strategy of containing Messi and daring Argentina's other attackers to beat them, and it worked for nearly 120 minutes. The Red Devils have a lot more talent than the Swiss, so I like their chances.

4) Costa Rica-Netherlands. Without any disrespect to Los Ticos, I strongly suspect that Costa Rica's great run will end here. Without Oscar Duarte, their best defender, they will struggle to contain the potent Dutch attack, by far the best they've seen in the Cup.

1) France-Germany. I would give France the tiniest edge in this one; they seem to be in somewhat better form, and Germany played a grueling 120 minutes against Algeria in the 2nd round.
Unfortunately, I will not be able to watch the game live as I will be at work. Jimmy mentioned Giroud earlier while leaving out key players who are definite assets to Les Bleus : Benzema starting to profile himself as a "rising Star" whom I suspect will give the German defense more "grueling" moments than what they experienced with Algeria. Varane, Valbuena and Pogba. Add the ultimate asset of their manager, Didier Deschamps. He has restored a spirit of conquest and achievements into Les Bleus. Which was profoundly lacking in 2010. Les Bleus are not just playing for la France. They are motivated to achieve to match Deschamps' "national hero" image. He is a strong motivator and known to be fearless.

Today seems to be a good time to recall the words of Gary Lineker, probably the most effective striker England has ever produced:

"Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win."

So Germany beats France and Brazil wins a phyric victory against Colombia losing both Silva (to yellow cards) and Neymar (to a cracked vertebrae apparently) in the process. That game did produce some exciting football in the last stages though.

It looks good for Germany in Belo Horizonte on Tuesday. Note that never has a European team won a World Cup in the Americas, including USA in 94 (Brazil) and Mexico 86 (Argentina) and 70 (Brazil) and now Germany and Netherlands have a great chance to change that. Before Spain won in South Africa a European side never won outside Europe either.

I went with my girlfriend to a local cafe along-side a busy street right after Colombia played in the round of 16. We got our drinks and desserts and headed out onto a patio out front. Right then a train started crossing nearby, which would last for about 5-10 minutes. Shortly after the honking, oh God the honking. Colombia had just won the game, and as it turns out my city has a fuck-load of Colombians (never knew this before that day). So as the train passed by there happened to be about 2-3 cars filled with screaming Colombians honking their horns. Not just a bit, they wouldn't stop honking for the entire time the train was passing. Combine that with the noise of the train, and a bus that was waiting right next to us, and well.. welcome to hell.

So back before that day I would have wished for a Colombian upset today, but no, not any more. My girlfriend and I went to a bar to watch the game and there was nothing I wanted more than a Colombian loss and to see the tears of the Colombian people.

Success.

I was not able to watch France/Germany. From the post game commentaries, I gathered it was not the most exciting game. Got home by the 34 minutes in the first half of Brazil/Colombia and it did not take me long to exclaim "ca, c'est du vrai foot" (now, that is real soccer). Warfare with a ball. It brought me back to my youth when I was a fan of the Corsican soccer teams.

I was not able to watch France/Germany. From the post game commentaries, I gathered it was not the most exciting game.

Yep, it was a rather pedestrian display of German efficiency; hence the Lineker quote I posted earlier.

Brazil-Colombia had quite a bit of excitement, but also some ugliness. There were a total of 54 fouls called, not to mention the very big uncalled foul on Zuniga when he smashed into Neymar and ended his World Cup. Looked to me as if the referee really lost control of things.

Brazil's foremost shooter Neymar is off the World Cup. HE received a knee-blow from a Colombian player during the game and injured his 4 vertebra.

Brazil-Colombia had quite a bit of excitement, but also some ugliness. There were a total of 54 fouls called, not to mention the very big uncalled foul on Zuniga when he smashed into Neymar and ended his World Cup. Looked to me as if the referee really lost control of things.
The ref really could have been a bit more loose with the yellows earlier on. As far as Zuniga's knee to the spine foul, the ref seems not to have seen it at all since the play wasn't stopped for it. Of course, it doesn't help that Neymar is a bit of a flopper. How many times have we seen him writhing on the ground this World Cup?

Anyway, it seems his injury will not require surgery, just immobilization for a few weeks which is good. His career should not be affected by this in the long term.

The ref really could have been a bit more loose with the yellows earlier on. As far as Zuniga's knee to the spine foul, the ref seems not to have seen it at all since the play wasn't stopped for it.

As I recall, the referee initially invoked the advantage rule on that play, as Brazil retained possession of the ball and had a break going. However, my understanding of the laws of the game is that when the foul involves a yellow or red card (as Zuniga's surely did), the referee can book or send off the offending player at the next stoppage in play.

The ref really could have been a bit more loose with the yellows earlier on. As far as Zuniga's knee to the spine foul, the ref seems not to have seen it at all since the play wasn't stopped for it.

As I recall, the referee initially invoked the advantage rule on that play, as Brazil retained possession of the ball and had a break going. However, my understanding of the laws of the game is that when the foul involves a yellow or red card (as Zuniga's surely did), the referee can book or send off the offending player at the next stoppage in play.

I have tried hard to understand this referee and my only explanation left is that this poor man was just not able enough to handle a game like this. Not just out of his depth but snorkeling straight down the Mariana trench.

He was not allowing tough play nor was he trying to control a violent match and certainly he was not favoring one side he was just utterly random. With no logic, no plan and no heuristic they might as well have used one of those wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube men with a randomized whistle.

If it's a red card, the ref has to stop the play and send him off immediately. For a yellow, he can play the advantage and book the player once play has stopped.

In the Neymar incident, I was astonished that the offender wasn't at least booked. Then again, the officials in that match were rank rotten, all three of them. The ref should have booked more players early on, and established his authority on the game; instead, he let things go that he shouldn't have - James Rodriguez had at east 3 fouls comitted on him that should hav eled to yellows for his assailant - and only produced cards when it was unnecessary - James Rodriguez again, booked for a foul that was worth a warning at most. Very poor refereeing.

- - - Updated - - -

I was not able to watch France/Germany. From the post game commentaries, I gathered it was not the most exciting game.

Trust me, Sabine, you didn't miss much. A tactical masterclass from the Germans, but that kind of football doesn't make good viewing. I was surprised that France went out with such a whimper.

As I recall, the referee initially invoked the advantage rule on that play, as Brazil retained possession of the ball and had a break going.
I may be mistaken but I thought the play was only stopped at the next foul (and there were a lot of them.)
However, my understanding of the laws of the game is that when the foul involves a yellow or red card (as Zuniga's surely did), the referee can book or send off the offending player at the next stoppage in play.
A bit academic since Zuniga wasn't booked.

- - - Updated - - -

FiveThirtyEight's new odds:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/interactives/world-cup/

You have to wonder if they didn't take Brazil's losses into account yet.

Almost certainly not. 73% against Germany is a bit optimistic even without these losses.

Trust me, Sabine, you didn't miss much. A tactical masterclass from the Germans, but that kind of football doesn't make good viewing. I was surprised that France went out with such a whimper.

Substitute Argentina for Germany, and Belgium for France, and that would probably sum up my basic reaction to the Argentina-Belgium quarterfinal earlier today.

Next up, Oranjes against the Great North American Hope. Oranjes heavy favorites.

Half-time. I'd pray, but I'm afraid football isn't bloody enough for the biblical god to be interested :p

Game almost over, zero to zero. No one has given Netherlands such a hard time as los Ticos! Give 'em hell!

Back
Top Bottom