• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Brazil 2014--The FIFA World Cup Thread

Final match of first phase is over, Russia x Algeria in the holy city of Curitiba

qdjfydx.png

The USA are through to the next round. Specific results hidden:

Germany beat the US 1-0, but Portugal beat Ghana 2-1 on a late Cristiano Ronaldo goal; Portugal ties the US in group standings but is way behind on goal differential. Ghana may have been distracted in today's match when the Ghana Football Association suspended two of the team's stars, Kevin-Prince Boateng and Sulley Muntari, from the team just hours before the Portugal match.

Meanwhile, in other news, Luis Suarez has been suspended for nine international matches and banned from any football activity for the next four months by FIFA, and fined 100,000 Swiss francs (about $112,000 at current exchange rates).

That's a joke. If you're going to punish someone, punish them. There's no place for what he did (and has done) on the pitch, and that punishment is not a deterrent.

What's troubling to me, at this point, is the defensive response of the Uruguayan Football Association to Suarez's behavior; I'm also waiting to see if Adidas, which sponsors Suarez, ends up taking a tough line on his behavior (early signs are not promising).

What's troubling to me, at this point, is the defensive response of the Uruguayan Football Association to Suarez's behavior; I'm also waiting to see if Adidas, which sponsors Suarez, ends up taking a tough line on his behavior (early signs are not promising).

I hear he's been offered the lead villain role in the next Sharknado movie (and ya, you know damn well there's going to be a next one).

I hear he's been offered the lead villain role in the next Sharknado movie (and ya, you know damn well there's going to be a next one).

Just when you thought it was safe to go back on the football field...

Suareznado. At cinemas near you from Thursday. Rated 18.

So if the Netherlands wins the world cup, Space Expedition Corporation (A Dutch private space company operating from Curacao and California) has promised to send the entire team into space. I kind of wish I was in the team now. Wonder if they'd send all the players who just warm the bench too.

So if the Netherlands wins the world cup, Space Expedition Corporation (A Dutch private space company operating from Curacao and California) has promised to send the entire team into space. I kind of wish I was in the team now. Wonder if they'd send all the players who just warm the bench too.

Nah, they just go to the upper stratosphere and wait there while the top line players go into space. They can see space about twenty feet away, but they don't quite make it.

Getting to the upper stratosphere us pretty good, though.

Has anybody been following the world cup coverage of 'FiveThirtyEight'? It's a statistics based news site started recently by Nate Silver that's laid down a mathematical model to make predictions about the various world cup games. I follow them both on Facebook and Twitter .. has been some interesting articles almost daily regarding the World Cup.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/

They've also had Brazil as the favourites to win the cup since day one. I'm a little leery about that prediction but I guess Brazil is always a contender:

silver-feature-wcpreview-1.png

Odds of U.S. winning against teams in the knock-out phase:

BrGHPHOCEAE6mYi.png:large

The USA are through to the next round. Specific results hidden:

Germany beat the US 1-0, but Portugal beat Ghana 2-1 on a late Cristiano Ronaldo goal; Portugal ties the US in group standings but is way behind on goal differential. Ghana may have been distracted in today's match when the Ghana Football Association suspended two of the team's stars, Kevin-Prince Boateng and Sulley Muntari, from the team just hours before the Portugal match.

Meanwhile, in other news, Luis Suarez has been suspended for nine international matches and banned from any football activity for the next four months by FIFA, and fined 100,000 Swiss francs (about $112,000 at current exchange rates).

That's a joke. If you're going to punish someone, punish them. There's no place for what he did (and has done) on the pitch, and that punishment is not a deterrent.
To be fair to FIFA, I think the only real deterrent would to ban Suarez from for life. You are right, the fine is ridiculous for someone who earns the sums Suarez does.

In Group E, France dominated possession against Ecuador but their finishing was lacking, while Ecuador's goalkeeper Alexander Dominguez was superb, producing a 0-0 scoreline. Ecuador are the only South American side not to advance to the round of 16. Switzerland, meanwhile, rode a hat trick from Xherdan Shaquiri to join France in the second round.
That account is quite nice with the French. I'd say they didn't play very well.
Playing 11vs10, for nearly one full half-time, it's quite normal at this level that they had more possession.
That they ended with no goals scored, and even a couple of scares, isn't reassuring at all. Unless it was just a "we're already qualified" slump in motivation, they're going to have to up their level seriously to hope advance in the second turn.
Deschamps brought in his "non veterans" in a game against a team he knew (IMO) would not be a threat. Giving a break to his veteran players, not putting as much pressure on them as he normally would.

To add that against Nigeria on Monday, Deschamps is not going to leave out Evra, Valbuena and Cabaye. Nigeria has the advantage of having a speed attack strategy. They have formidable athletes (as most African teams) with the disadvantage of not benefiting of top notch coaching (they cannot afford it). IMO we are going to see Les Bleus coming back full strength against Nigeria.

I will be cheering for both teams.

Again.FIFA SUCKS.
Lets keep things in perspective.

He bit someone... errr... again.
There appears to be little evidence he won't do it again.
Though he has "only" bitten someone three times over a long period of time.
He has not hurt anyone.
He has not performed a tackle that broke a leg or ended a career.

The suspension is notable. He won't play in the World Cup anymore. That is a pretty big deal. He is suspended for the first 10 or so games for Liverpool in the EPL, and a number of Champions League matches.

Though a different incident resulting in ending the career of a player, Zidane's headbutt against Materazzi got him a red card and a suspension from three games. He permanently retired from Les Bleus. It was a big blow for them. Zizou ranked as one of the best in the history of soccer.

Again.FIFA SUCKS.

He has not hurt anyone.

The suspension is notable. He won't play in the World Cup anymore. That is a pretty big deal. He is suspended for the first 10 or so games for Liverpool in the EPL, and a number of Champions League matches.

Although, biting someone, with the potential to break their skin could potentially be extremely dangerous to the person on the receiving end. The thing is, if you're not deterring him from doing it again, then what is the point of the punishment? If he's probably going to do it again don't let him back on the field.

This should be applicable to anyone who poses a threat of assault to other players in any way.

Though a different incident resulting in ending the career of a player, Zidane's headbutt against Materazzi got him a red card and a suspension from three games. He permanently retired from Les Bleus. It was a big blow for them. Zizou ranked as one of the best in the history of soccer.
He was closer to the end of his career at the time than Suarez, I believe.

It is really hard to gauge this. What Suarez is doing is ridiculous and should not happen, but I've seen some very very very very reckless tackles that resulted in far shorter suspensions.

This is a big deal. It harms Liverpool notably, unless Sturridge starts out like he did last season. Liverpool will most likely put Suarez on the transfer market. As awesome a player he is, he has yet to score a goal while on suspension.

Again.FIFA SUCKS.

He has not hurt anyone.

That's just not enough. They should have taken him up in a helicopter to 5,000 feet and pushed him out. Only then would justice be done.

Again.FIFA SUCKS.

He has not hurt anyone.

That's just not enough. They should have taken him up in a helicopter to 5,000 feet and pushed him out. Only then would justice be done.
That would probably be a bit extreme. The judgment seems in line with previous rulings. In 1974 FIFA gave a Columbian player a 20 game suspension for hacking off the leg of a Peruvian defender. A West German striker received a 15 game suspension in the 1960s for tripping a Bulgarian player into a vat of boiling oil. And of course, there was the notorious downing of an England plane by the Soviets in the the 1934 World Cup that led to the banning of USSR from the World Cup for one year.

Back
Top Bottom