• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Breakdown In Civil Order

It could also be that a lot of people have jobs now that they didn't have before.
Not having a job has little to do with it.

Pretty much murder amounts to:
Domestics
Would not having a job and being cramped for money be a cause for domestic disputes?
A small effect at most.
How do you know this?

Money Problems​

Disagreements about money are one of the most common marriage problems couples face. Almost a third of adults with partners in the United States reported money as a source of conflict in their relationships.2

The following may become money problems in a marriage:

• Disagreements over financial decisions (i.e., investments, household spending, etc.)
  • Having different beliefs about money (how much to spend vs. save)
  • Not talking about finances before getting married
  • One person in the marriage makes more money
  • One person in the marriage spends more money
Generally speaking, when couples engage in conflicts about money, their dispute is really symbolic of something different—such as power struggles, or different values and needs.
When one partner is extremely stressed about money, they may be less patient or more irritable; they may then pick fights with the other partner about unrelated things without even realizing it.
You've got to be kidding. Are you seriously extrapolating "disagreements about money" to "murdered their spouse"? Are you fucking kidding? Somehow domestic abuse and intimate partner murder is about MONEY? Dude, what the actual fuck?
Holy fuck?!? I didn't say it was the only reason. I didn't say anything about murder. I said "domestic disputes". Get ahold of yourself.

A focus on China versus the United States but the different areas touched on speaks to our changing society and the current stresses on it.
Maybe you felt it watching a mob smash its way into the U.S. Capitol, or watching American military planes leave Afghanistan with people clinging to the sides. Maybe it was the angry parents jabbing fingers at each other over school vaccine requirements. Or the drug crisis. The homelessness crisis. The border crisis.
A New Medieval Age

Trends That Define Neomedievalism

RAND's report is not the first to describe the modern world as neomedieval. Its contribution is in assessing how neomedieval conditions will shape the rivalry between China and the United States. Its authors identify five trends that will define the era:

1. Weakening states: Governments will struggle to maintain legitimacy; ensure domestic security; and provide levels of goods, services, and opportunities their people expect.
2. Fragmenting societies: National spirit will erode as competing group identities, such as sub- and transnational communities, gain traction.
3. Imbalanced economies: Growth will be concentrated in a few sectors. Problems of entrenched inequality, stagnant social mobility, and illicit economies will worsen.
4. Pervasive threats: The proliferation of dangers, such as natural disasters, infectious disease, and violent nonstate actors, will create a sense of permeating risk, even as the possibility of conflict with rival states persists.
5. Informalization of warfare: Military forces will increasingly consist of professional troops augmented by contractors, mercenaries, and sympathetic armed groups such as militias. Older methods of fighting, such as intrastate conflicts, sieges, and irregular conflict, will be revived.

It could also be that a lot of people have jobs now that they didn't have before.

Domestics
Would not having a job and being cramped for money be a cause for domestic disputes?
A small effect at most.
How do you know this?

Money Problems​

Disagreements about money are one of the most common marriage problems couples face. Almost a third of adults with partners in the United States reported money as a source of conflict in their relationships.2

• Disagreements over financial decisions (i.e., investments, household spending, etc.)
Generally speaking, when couples engage in conflicts about money, their dispute is really symbolic of something different—such as power struggles, or different values and needs.
When one partner is extremely stressed about money, they may be less patient or more irritable; they may then pick fights with the other partner about unrelated things without even realizing it.
You've got to be kidding. Are you seriously extrapolating "disagreements about money" to "murdered their spouse"? Are you fucking kidding? Somehow domestic abuse and intimate partner murder is about MONEY? Dude, what the actual fuck?
Wow. So you're going to ignore that money is the problem that many couples argue about?

Obviously, a lot of domestic partners abuse and murder is over money.

What motivation do you even have such that you would deny this obvious and glaring fact?

About half of the troubles I have with my husband (and we don't have many) come down to disputes over the fact that he occasionally does manic spending, and somehow there's never money available for me to spend when I want to.

Disagreements over money are WAY more impactful than say, disagreements over who had the right of way on the road. One is about who gets to work a minute earlier, and the other is about whether someone has the basic means to fulfill their dreams (or to just keep eating and living in a house), and yet people still murder each other over not signaling or whatever.

But sure. Go on pretending money doesn't have something to do with it.

Wow. So you're going to ignore that money is the problem that many couples argue about?

What motivation do you even have such that you would deny this obvious and glaring fact?

About half of the troubles I have with my husband (and we don't have many) come down to disputes over the fact that he occasionally does manic spending, and somehow there's never money available for me to spend when I want to.

Disagreements over money are WAY more impactful than say, disagreements over who had the right of way on the road. One is about who gets to work a minute earlier, and the other is about whether someone has the basic means to fulfill their dreams (or to just keep eating and living in a house), and yet people still murder each other over not signaling or whatever.

Thanks for the backup.

Domestics
A small effect at most.
How do you know this?

Money Problems​

Holy fuck?!? I didn't say it was the only reason. I didn't say anything about murder. I said "domestic disputes". Get ahold of yourself.
You posted this in response to LOREN claiming that domestic disputes are a cause of murder, but that not having a job isn't the driver. Perhaps it wasn't your intention, but your response suggests that you think that not having a job leads to money problems, which leads to domestic disputes, which leads to murdering one's partner.

That it is neither obvious nor glaring nor fact. You've made a strange assumption that relationship stress over money is a causal driver of domestic abuse and murder.
Do those troubles result in abuse or murder?

You and Loren are both acting like arguments and divorce are totally the same as intimate partner violence and murder. EVERYBODY argues about money sometimes, but very few people abuse their partners. Similarly, EVERYBODY gets angry at other drivers sometimes, but very few people murder other drivers.

That it is neither obvious nor glaring nor fact

I do really wish you would get tired of being wrong so often.

Do you really think the things people argue over don't end up being the same things people worse-than-argue over?

I saw similar statistics when discussing direct abuse, too... So do you need me to Google those for you or are you Ok doing that yourself and posting the result to apologize for being so confidently wrong?

That it is neither obvious nor glaring nor fact

I do really wish you would get tired of being wrong so often.

Do you really think the things people argue over don't end up being the same things people worse-than-argue over?

I saw similar statistics when discussing direct abuse, too... So do you need me to Google those for you or are you Ok doing that yourself and posting the result to apologize for being so confidently wrong?
Correlation is not causation.

You're extrapolating that because people argue about money a lot, and because couples with financial stress are more likely to experience domestic violence than those who are financially stable... then money is a causal factor for domestic violence. I think you're wrong. I think that having a predisposition toward domestic violence is more likely to result in financial instability - a person who is prone to violence is less likely to attain a high-paying job. To me, money problems are the effect of violent tendencies, not the other way around.

Ok, so now we're at "the problem isn't the problem because I don't want it to be the problem".

In other news, I strongly suspect that those who deny the nature of martial conflicts and abuse vectors are actively engaging in such a use vectors themselves.

Did you even read what you linked to?

How to identify financial abuse – Financial abuse is a subtler form of abuse. It can be more difficult to identify and observe than emotional abuse or overt violence. Some examples of this include:

• Taking your money or stealing from you.
  • Sabotaging your job – calling constantly or making you miss work.
  • Preventing you from choosing your own career or working.
  • Withholding necessities, such as shelter, medications, clothes, and food.
  • Withholding credit cards or using yours without permission.
  • Rigidly controlling your finances.
This does not support your argument that domestic abuse is caused by disagreements over money.

Did you even read what you linked to?

How to identify financial abuse – Financial abuse is a subtler form of abuse. It can be more difficult to identify and observe than emotional abuse or overt violence. Some examples of this include:

• Taking your money or stealing from you.
  • Sabotaging your job – calling constantly or making you miss work.
  • Preventing you from choosing your own career or working.
  • Withholding necessities, such as shelter, medications, clothes, and food.
  • Withholding credit cards or using yours without permission.
  • Rigidly controlling your finances.
This does not support your argument that domestic abuse is caused by disagreements over money.
Financial abuse is the most pervasive form of domestic abuse, affecting nearly 99% of total domestic violence cases.

A ubiquitous element of abuse is going to be pretty prominent in terms of its relationship to motivations in abuse-related violence.

It's a weird position, Jarhyn. You're essentially arguing that men beat their partners because of financial stress. But the link you provided says that controlling someone's access to finances can be a form of abuse. Those aren't the same things.

Me and my husband having an argument because he engaged in retail therapy without checking on whether or not we could afford iit does not even remotely qualify as financial abuse, nor is it in any fashion a precursor to any sort of abuse. It can be stress, definitely.

It's a weird position, Jarhyn. You're essentially arguing that men beat their partners because of financial stress. But the link you provided says that controlling someone's access to finances can be a form of abuse. Those aren't the same things.

Me and my husband having an argument because he engaged in retail therapy without checking on whether or not we could afford iit does not even remotely qualify as financial abuse, nor is it in any fashion a precursor to any sort of abuse. It can be stress, definitely.
No, I'm arguing that financial stress, either causing it or being under it, often contributed to the cluster of issues that are involved in domestic abuse situations, and heavily so.

"nor is it in any fashion a precursor to any sort of abuse"

This is the unfounded statement here. It could absolutely be a precursor to abuse. That, and I think that gatekeeping therapy on your approval, under pain of argument, is itself a form of abusive behavior.

Have you asked yourself why your husband may be seeking therapy outside your immediate control or awareness?

No, I'm arguing that financial stress, either causing it or being under it, often contributed to the cluster of issues that are involved in domestic abuse situations, and heavily so.
I would agree that it can contribute in situations where domestic abuse already exists. But that does not appear to be what you originally argued.

I would agree that it can contribute in situations where domestic abuse already exists. But that does not appear to be what you originally argued.
No what was originally argued was that it was significant to many abuse situations full stop.

Edit: seriously, you find the dumbest fuckin hills to die on

No what was originally argued was that it was significant to many abuse situations full stop.
That doesn't appear to be what you said:

Maybe that's what you were TRYING to say, but if so, you were unsuccessful in effectively communicating that idea.

a lot of domestic partners abuse and murder is over money

[Money] was significant to many abuse situations full stop

you were unsuccessful in effectively communicating that idea

I will hold my position that I said what I said and you had an issue, rather, with comprehension.

I will hold my position that I said what I said and you had an issue, rather, with comprehension.
Sure, sure. And a lot of rapes happen because someone is horny and just really really wants sex.

Sure, sure. And a lot of rapes happen because someone is horny and just really really wants sex.
Some do, but we weren't talking about rape we are talking about abuse and murder.

The motives are very different.

Back
Top Bottom