• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

CA Reparations Task Force

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Insufferable prick governor of California Gavin Newsom set up "Reparations Task Force" to advance "racial justice". The meetings have begun;

A black California businessman demanded $600,000 from California taxpayers during the first meeting of the state's reparations task force on Wednesday.
Deliberations began on how to quantify how financial compensation might be calculated and what might be required to prove eligibility. One of those who spoke at the public hearing was 35-year-old entrepreneur and the first black professional tri-athlete, Max Fennell who said that every person should get $350,000 in compensation to close the racial wealth gap and Black-owned businesses should receive $250,000, which would help them to flourish. Fennell added: 'It's a debt that's owed, we worked for free,' he said. 'We're not asking; we're telling you. The tangibles of what I'm asking for is $350,000 per black American in California that's tangible, small business grant $250,000 and land 15-20 acres.' California senate candidate Deon Jenkins spoke at the hearing and said that any money designed to counter-act housing discrimination should be in line with the average price of a home in the state, around $800,000.

Daily Mail

Some mostly black folks are going to be very disappointed as this charade continues.

You’re only angry because you refuse to acknowledge your guilt and complacency for all those years black slavery existed in California. Pay your taxes and get used to your lower caste status.

$150 billion to Israel for a crime the USA and it's current living and breathing citizens didn't commit. Crickets.

Pennies from one US state to a fraction of black folks for a crime the USA actually did commit and its OMG THIS NEEDS TO STOP BECAUSE US LIVING AND BREATHING CITIZENS DIDN'T COMMIT THE CRIMES!

I think the concept of reparations for slavery is valid and should be pursued. Before any money is disbursed, I want to see the plan of who is entitled to reparations and how much. When arguing about money, it's important to know how much money.

I think the concept of reparations for slavery is valid and should be pursued. Before any money is disbursed, I want to see the plan of who is entitled to reparations and how much. When arguing about money, it's important to know how much money.
I don't disagree with you or Gospel on this at all. (I would say from experience that just giving people money dosn't correct issues, and sometimes makes it worse.) However, the vast majority of the voters in one party will not get these reparations. And you can't educate it away that they will not feel that it is fair. And they will be incredibly motivated to vote. This issue will be a huge huge motivator for republicans.

An activist has warned California's reparations task force that there will be 'a serious backlash' if they do not comply with his demands for more than $800,000 to be handed out black residents. Deon Jenkins told the first meeting of the Task Force to Study and Develop Reparation Proposals for African Americans that money given to black people in the California should be in-line with the average price of a home in the state, around $800,000. Following that appearance at the public hearing in Oakland's City Hall on Wednesday, Jenkins, who refers to himself as a 'hip hop organizer' said in an interview: 'Either they're going to comply or it's going to be a serious backlash.'
Jenkins ran for president in 2016 and 2020 and ran for the US Senate in California in 2022, gaining less than 7,000 votes.

Daily Mail

I wonder if Jenkins has ever held down an actual job.

Yeah. Reparations is something that needs an expansive and deep investigation followed with the most careful and precise execution. The clowns screaming "why should my tax money pay for something I didn't do" need to grow up and realize that it's fanciful hope to think tax money will always be spent how you want it to be. At least in this case (if done properly) the money has the potential to address some problems people complain about seeing coming from the black community.

I think this effort is a bit late since many of those directly impacted by discrimination are dead now. What's left behind are angry YBM raised if not abandoned by previously angry YBM who's parents tried to get our shit together but was stopped around every turn by racist white pricks.

Now we have some white people today saying "oh well, get over it, It's not my fault, stop blaming me" having the same effects on any attempts to address America's issue.

Which is, in fact, the primary purpose of the task force in question, along with making recommendations as to the distribution of reparations. California refuses to formally acknowledge its participation in the slave trade, though; these reparations are for other forms of legal discrimination the state has levied against its Black residents.

I think there could be some unintended consequences with this. I can see serious tension in black neighborhoods where there is a mix of those who received reparations and those who didn't. Basically, a conflict between the "haves" and "have nots". Seems like it could destroy friendships and otherwise cohesive neighborhoods, not to mention spikes in crime, etc.

One other thing I haven't seen mentioned is length of residency in California. Can someone from out of state move in to California a few months beforehand, get their money and then move back?

I think there could be some unintended consequences with this. I can see serious tension in black neighborhoods where there is a mix of those who received reparations and those who didn't. Basically, a conflict between the "haves" and "have nots". Seems like it could destroy friendships and otherwise cohesive neighborhoods, not to mention spikes in crime, etc.

One other thing I haven't seen mentioned is length of residency in California. Can someone from out of state move in to California a few months beforehand, get their money and then move back?

Did that happen with the Japanese, Native Americans or Israel? Surely you have some source for those concerns other than lifting your head off your pillow this morning.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

This will be bad for Black people.

Did that happen with the Japanese, Native Americans or Israel? Surely you have some source for those concerns other than lifting your head off your pillow this morning.
It tends to happen with all people, regardless of race, when big money suddenly shows up to those who were previously lacking. Like lotterys, inheritances, etc. Its happening now in my family, regarding an inheritance. My sister has burned bridges with her once close cousin because my mom gave her grand piano to her niece instead of her. A lot of lottery winners have talked about how their life is worse after having won big money. This is not news. It's human nature.

Last edited:
This is a common but not universal dynamic that attended distribution of the compensation monies awarded to Native nations via the Indian Claims Commission. Personally, this does not to me obviate one's legal right to compensation for injury, whether or not some outsider thinks it was handled well or not. It's not as though the people who absconded with the wealth in the first place used it especially well, but for some reason we only treat their victims as though they should have to "earn" their own money back through good moral conduct.

This is a common dynamic that attended distribution of the compensation monies awarded to Native nations via the Indian Claims Commission. Personally, this does not to me obviate one's legal right to compensation for injury. It's not as though the people who absconded with the wealth in the first place used it especially well, but for some reason we only treat their victims as though they should have to "earn" their own money back through good moral conduct.
Add in that the "unintended consequences" argument is usually a smokescreen because it can be used for any proposed policy action. Every policy has unintended consequences. While those should be anticipated and considered in every case, usually those who bring it up with proposals with which they disagree, they fail to bring them up with proposal that they support.

It tends to happen with all people, regardless of race, when big money suddenly shows up to those who were previously. Like lotterys, inheritances, etc. Its happening now in my family, regarding an inheritance. My sister has burned bridges with her once close cousin because my mom gave her grand piano to her niece instead of her. A lot of lottery winners have talked about how their life is worse after having won big money. This is not news. It's human nature.

Yeah it happens. I just don't see the black community vaporizing as a result. You do know we are talking about a people that survived the trans Atlantic slave trade, I'm certain we can survive reparations.

Did that happen with the Japanese, Native Americans or Israel?
The only Japanese people who received reparations were those who were actually detained. Native Americans don't get reparations; some have reservations. And Israel. We don't pay reparations to Israel. Creating a racial spoils system is the road to ruin.

Back
Top Bottom