• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

California Doing California Things

I like how the term "undocumented immigrant" is used like "leper". We're expected to recoil in horror to learn that an undocumented immigrant might be allowed to have nice things in America.

If the new bill is passed or signed into law, undocumented borrowers would be able to apply for the housing loan. However, they would be required to have a valid Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number in addition to meeting existing legal residency and documentation requirements.

Apparently an undocumented immigrant and a documentless immigrant are not the same thing.

Has anyone explained this? How can one be a "legal resident" with "required documentation" but also be "undocumented"? Is this due to some conflict between U.S. and California law?

Anyway, I'd probably oppose such a law: Let's work on immigration policy rather than encouraging outlaws. More importantly, why give the Trump-Putin axis yet another "excess wokeness" example to bamboozle the gullible ignorati?
It is possible to have a SS number without having permission to work. My wife's SS number predates her work authorization--her original SS card said "Not Valid for Employment". They will issue a number to anyone who needs one for interacting with the US financial system.

The problem is "undocumented" is used when "not having work permission" is actually meant.

Another beauty from California, a state with an appalling record in education;

California is close to passing a law that could cut homework and alleviate stress for pupils and parents. The Healthy Homework Act, which has passed both chambers of the state legislature but must still be signed off by the governor, asks teachers to consider whether any homework assigned requires parental support and access to technology. Pilar Schiavo, an assemblywoman, wrote the bill after a conversation with her nine-year-old daughter, who asked whether she could “ban homework”.

The Times
For the record, I oppose the Healthy Homework act. It passed almost unanimously, though, with broad support from Republicans and Democrats alike, so it is almost certain to be enacted.
I don't know the details of the act, but I strongly oppose the entire concept of homework. If you want children to do more hours of schoolwork than there are hours in the school day, you need to extend the school day.

School time is for schoolwork; Home time is not. Parents are not schoolteachers, and it is unreasonable to treat them as unpaid and unqualified teaching assistants, particularly given their very variable quality in the role.

Time to rest, and to play, are important. Stealing that time to make up for the inadequacies of the school system is not acceptable.

For the record, I never did homework. I wasn't aware that what I was doing was a protest; I didn't seek any kind of publicity, or make any fuss. I just didn't do it. Got lots of punishments. Still didn't do it.
Homework has a legitimate role in practicing the material. But it's gotten out of hand in many situations and for the most part getting an A should be sufficient evidence that you learned the material.

The authoritarians in California just keep hammering away at us;

Speeding-related traffic deaths are on the rise in California. State Senator Scott Wiener hopes his bill will change that. "When we have the level of death on our roads - more than 4,000 people in California and escalating, it's gone up in the last five years, that's a policy choice," Wiener said. Senate Bill 961 is heading to Governor Gavin Newsom's desk. San Francisco Senator Scott Wiener authored the bill. It would mandate speed warning technology in cars. "It requires that for new cars starting in 2030 to have to be equipped with existing technology that exist now, that alerts people just one alert if they are going more than 10 miles an hour over the speed limit," Wiener said. If this bill is signed by the Governor, California will be the first state in the country to enact this kind of safety equipment.

News

They just sit around thinking up news ways to torment us.
And your car alerting you if you're 10 over is a problem??

The only time it should be an issue is when you idiotic speed limits for some reason--and the real fix there is to prohibit the idiotic speed limits in the first place. The engineered speed of a road should be reasonably available to the public and deviation from that should have to be documented.

The engineered speed of a road should be reasonably available to the public and deviation from that should have to be documented.
Many local authorities in the UK are lowering speed limits, because the national rules to which they are bound sets engineering and maintenance standards according to the speed limit.

The idea was that a 60mph highway shouldn't have potholes, a 40mph feeder road should have few, and several are tolerable on a 20mph local street.

But what's actually happening is that the authorities have no cash, so rather than risk a fine for not fixing the holes, they lower the speed limit, so that the holes are now acceptable within the rules.

So rather than set the limit to match the engineered speed of the road, they let the engineered speed of the road fall to the newly reduced limit.

The engineered speed of a road should be reasonably available to the public and deviation from that should have to be documented.
Many local authorities in the UK are lowering speed limits, because the national rules to which they are bound sets engineering and maintenance standards according to the speed limit.

The idea was that a 60mph highway shouldn't have potholes, a 40mph feeder road should have few, and several are tolerable on a 20mph local street.

But what's actually happening is that the authorities have no cash, so rather than risk a fine for not fixing the holes, they lower the speed limit, so that the holes are now acceptable within the rules.

So rather than set the limit to match the engineered speed of the road, they let the engineered speed of the road fall to the newly reduced limit.
As the road quality deteriorates the maximum safe speed drops. Hitting a pothole at 60 is not a good thing! "Speed lowered due to potholes" would be an acceptable reason to lower the speed even though it's clearly not acceptable from a governmental standpoint.

Frankly, it sounded to me like they just wanted the wiring pre-installed to make installing the Breathalyzer easier.

BMW does that. The wiring for all options is installed at the factory. You want the alarm system. Okay. install the siren, the level sensor and the proximity sensor. All the wiring is there, just plug them in.

You want the Homelink garage door controller. Buy the module, pull out the wiring and plug it in. It's all yours.

"Paper or plastic" will no longer be a choice at grocery store checkout lines in California under a new law signed Sunday by Gov. Gavin Newsom that bans all plastic shopping bags. California had already banned thin plastic shopping bags at supermarkets and other stores, but shoppers could purchase bags made with a thicker plastic that purportedly made them reusable and recyclable. The new measure, approved by state legislators last month, bans all plastic shopping bags starting in 2026. As San Francisco's mayor in 2007, Newsom signed the nation's first plastic bag ban.

News

More virtue signaling from CA legislature.

"Paper or plastic" will no longer be a choice at grocery store checkout lines in California under a new law signed Sunday by Gov. Gavin Newsom that bans all plastic shopping bags. California had already banned thin plastic shopping bags at supermarkets and other stores, but shoppers could purchase bags made with a thicker plastic that purportedly made them reusable and recyclable. The new measure, approved by state legislators last month, bans all plastic shopping bags starting in 2026. As San Francisco's mayor in 2007, Newsom signed the nation's first plastic bag ban.

News

We don't have a use for these things after they are used once. We need to stop using them. Their cost post use is problematic. Cheap ass stores bags aren't good either. We need food luggage bags (durable, made to be used for over a decade, not actual luggage). They already exist. They are convenient as all heck. Three bags instead of 16, each on the verge of destruction. Plastic has its benefits (very light, inert, relatively cheap), but it is extremely costly (fucking inert!, environment issues regarding degradation and entering the ecosystem and then into our bodies, mostly impossible to repurpose/reuse).

News

Even some Republican-leaning states, like parts of South Carolina and North Carolina, have put similar plastic bag bans in place to protect their environments. It’s not just a California thing—this is about tackling a real environmental issue. But hey, if that bothers you, you can always move to Texas, where apparently, according to their Supreme Court, single-use plastic bags are part of their waste management strategy! :ROFLMAO:

We don't have a use for these things after they are used once.
What you mean, we?
I re-use them. Or rather did re-use them. I started hoarding them as soon as the start date for no mo bag was announced.
I lined a 5 gallon bucket, using upside down Command hooks on the outside of the bucket to hold the handles of the bag. I put about ten of them on there at once, and when it gets full of trash (it’s in the garage) I just grab the top one and drop it in the nearby garbage can. Lots of vile workshop type stuff and all … never a problem. I know they’re killing all the nice places, even Santa Monica, but I can’t help myself. I have maybe ten left, then I might have to buy 500 on Amazon (a fifty year supply).

Now I also own an impressive collection of reusable shopping bags … some of them are about ready for the landfill. Maybe I’ll throw them in the garage trash.

We don't have a use for these things after they are used once.
What you mean, we?
I re-use them. Or rather did re-use them. I started hoarding them as soon as the start date for no mo bag was announced.
I lined a 5 gallon bucket, using upside down Command hooks on the outside of the bucket to hold the handles of the bag. I put about ten of them on there at once, and when it gets full of trash (it’s in the garage) I just grab the top one and drop it in the nearby garbage can. Lots of vile workshop type stuff and all … never a problem. I know they’re killing all the nice places, even Santa Monica, but I can’t help myself. I have maybe ten left, then I might have to buy 500 on Amazon (a fifty year supply).

Now I also own an impressive collection of reusable shopping bags … some of them are about ready for the landfill. Maybe I’ll throw them in the garage trash.
Okay, America has found the solution to what to do with all those plastic bags. Send them to Elixir.

News

Even some Republican-leaning states, like parts of South Carolina and North Carolina, have put similar plastic bag bans in place to protect their environments. It’s not just a California thing—this is about tackling a real environmental issue. But hey, if that bothers you, you can always move to Texas, where apparently, according to their Supreme Court, single-use plastic bags are part of their waste management strategy! :ROFLMAO:
Don't bother. Dude gets a flu shot annually, but bitches about the Covid booster.

News

Don't bother. Dude gets a flu shot annually, but bitches about the Covid booster.
Has anyone told him that the flu shot evolved right along with the flu virus?
Has he checked for new ingredients?

News

This will protect the environment as much as the plastic straw ban did.

I don't use store provided plastic bags, I take my own reusable bags.
I don't even use the plastic bags for produce, I use my own cloth bags like these
shop

Even some Republican-leaning states, like parts of South Carolina and North Carolina,
Parts of states are not states. I strongly suspect jurisdictions with plastic bag ban are Dem-run cities and counties.
have put similar plastic bag bans in place to protect their environments. It’s not just a California thing—this is about tackling a real environmental issue.
What is the total mass of all single-use plastic bags? I doubt it amounts to that much, so the environmental benefit will be small, just like with banning plastic straws.
It's more about virtue signaling and nanny statism.
But hey, if that bothers you, you can always move to Texas, where apparently, according to their Supreme Court, single-use plastic bags are part of their waste management strategy! :ROFLMAO:
They are useful for lining small garbage cans.

News

Hey, those seas of plastic in the oceans aren't a big deal. We can harvest from them in the next decade. :rolleyes:

News

This will protect the environment as much as the plastic straw ban did.
That seems very naive.

I don't use store provided plastic bags, I take my own reusable bags.
I don't even use the plastic bags for produce, I use my own cloth bags like these
shop
Maybe you should start making reusable cloth bags for your friends and neighbors.

Even some Republican-leaning states, like parts of South Carolina and North Carolina,
Parts of states are not states. I strongly suspect jurisdictions with plastic bag ban are Dem-run cities and counties.
have put similar plastic bag bans in place to protect their environments. It’s not just a California thing—this is about tackling a real environmental issue.
What is the total mass of all single-use plastic bags? I doubt it amounts to that much, so the environmental benefit will be small, just like with banning plastic straws.
It's more about virtue signaling and nanny statism.
arsefacts.jpg

Lots of information on these two pages of PDF that shows that you have no idea about what you are talking about.

The alternatives to the plastic bags aren't exactly stellar examples of environmentalism. IIRC, paper bags are more energy intensive to make than the single use plastic bags, and require trees. The washable ones get nasty fast, and have to be washed pretty frequently. IIRC, the end result of that is they also require more energy overall than plastic.

Back
Top Bottom