• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

California Doing California Things

Even some Republican-leaning states, like parts of South Carolina and North Carolina,
Parts of states are not states. I strongly suspect jurisdictions with plastic bag ban are Dem-run cities and counties.
have put similar plastic bag bans in place to protect their environments. It’s not just a California thing—this is about tackling a real environmental issue.
What is the total mass of all single-use plastic bags?
Its mass doesn't change over a long period of time, it is so light, it is easily lost in the environment. We have a plastic problem on this planet. We are seeing plastics in our blood. That is a bad thing!
I doubt it amounts to that much, so the environmental benefit will be small, just like with banning plastic straws.
It's more about virtue signaling and nanny statism.
Jesus fucking Christ. Why is trying to do something that is more sustainable or humane now called "virtue signaling"?! That and woke are today's version of PC! I don't give a fuck what people think about me using bulky cloth bags. I bet most people don't. It is more efficient, easier to haul to the groceries, and certainly ones made to hold in the cold... better at insulating frozen groceries.
But hey, if that bothers you, you can always move to Texas, where apparently, according to their Supreme Court, single-use plastic bags are part of their waste management strategy! :ROFLMAO:
They are useful for lining small garbage cans.
They have uses, they all don't have uses. There is a reason we have a grocery plastic bag issue.

Texas Republicans are being hypocritical. They oppose federal interference in state affairs, yet when local ranchers push for plastic bag bans to protect their livestock, the state government won’t let municipalities manage their own issues. It’s a clear contradiction: they champion states' rights but deny local control when it suits them.

Another one of these "it's too small a problem to be worth solving" kind of things, right? Even if solving a small problem can make some things better. Too bad there's no Constitutional Amendment guaranteeing the rights of people to plastic bags.

It’s too small a problem that an arbitrary, ill thought out ban will achieve nothing.

Here’s how many times you need to reuse your reusable grocery bags

The answer to what's the greenest replacement for a single-use plastic bag isn't straightforward, but the advice boils down to this: Reuse whatever bags you have at home, as many times as you can.

Campaigners say these bag hoards are creating fresh environmental problems, with reusable bags having a much higher carbon footprint than thin plastic bags. According to one eye-popping estimate, a cotton bag should be used at least 7,100 times to make it a truly environmentally friendly alternative to a conventional plastic bag.

The answer to what’s the greenest replacement for a single-use plastic bag isn’t straightforward, but the advice boils down to this: Reuse whatever bags you have at home, as many times as you can.

It’s too small a problem that an arbitrary, ill thought out ban will achieve nothing.
It has dramatically reduced the number of white plastic bags I have to remove from the vegetation on my property. That’s “nothing” to you but it’s highly significant to me.
Santa Monica doesn’t have that problem; the wind is usually onshore, and if it turns offshore and bags blow in, they’ll just blow right on out to sea, where they can choke some sea turtles well out of sight of happy Santa Monicans.
It’s kinda like weather, Swiz. Your weather can be stable for decades or centuries, but that says exactly nothing about climate change or the absence thereof.

It seems to me that whole plastic/cloth bag dilemma is small potatoes compared to other needless waste. For example, my pet peeve...the fashion industry. Tons and tons of valuable resources wasted and environmental damage just to look trendy, rich and be popular. Perfectly good clothes end up in the trash bin just because "it was soooo last year". :rolleyes: Flying to European fashion shows in smoky, private jets just to look at ridiculous outfits. I mean, WTF? I could go on for days about all the stupid, wasteful shit that goes on in that industry. Yet, the subject is rarely broached for some reason.

Another one of these "it's too small a problem to be worth solving" kind of things, right? Even if solving a small problem can make some things better. Too bad there's no Constitutional Amendment guaranteeing the rights of people to plastic bags.

Yeah, such a 'small' problem that over 500 cities and towns across 28 states have implemented local plastic bag bans—12 of them in Texas alone, until their own state government stepped in and reversed the decisions.

I believe you're suggesting that the bans aren't the most comprehensive solution and I agree. I believe significant improvements in waste management systems, especially through investments by wealthier nations in global infrastructure, would be more impactful than relying solely on local plastic bag bans. That said, plastic bag bans still play a role in reducing plastic pollution, particularly at the local level where municipalities find them necessary.

Texas Republicans are being hypocritical. They oppose federal interference in state affairs, yet when local ranchers push for plastic bag bans to protect their livestock, the state government won’t let municipalities manage their own issues. It’s a clear contradiction: they champion states' rights but deny local control when it suits them.
Whenever a school wanted to pass a funding bill, these anti-tax groups would pop up. Local control? The GOP isn't funding it at the Federal or State, and when locals try to manage it... the GOP steps in to stop it too.

The GOP isn't about local or state or federal control, it is all about GOP control.

Here’s how many times you need to reuse your reusable grocery bags

The answer to what's the greenest replacement for a single-use plastic bag isn't straightforward, but the advice boils down to this: Reuse whatever bags you have at home, as many times as you can.

Campaigners say these bag hoards are creating fresh environmental problems, with reusable bags having a much higher carbon footprint than thin plastic bags. According to one eye-popping estimate, a cotton bag should be used at least 7,100 times to make it a truly environmentally friendly alternative to a conventional plastic bag.

The answer to what’s the greenest replacement for a single-use plastic bag isn’t straightforward, but the advice boils down to this: Reuse whatever bags you have at home, as many times as you can.
Yes, you need to use real bags for a long period of time. Heftier bags can be mended which allows for that to happen, plastic bags can not. Grocery stores sell cheap reusable bags which I think are likely very bad, as the handles can rip and their footprint ends up being larger than a plastic bag. But in the end, the plastic bag's bigger issue is the non-biodegradable nature of it. It'll eventually break apart if discarded in the environment, but it just falls apart and enters the ecosystems, ingested by animals, then us. Cloth bags degrade, they also don't blow around in the wind.
It seems to me that whole plastic/cloth bag dilemma is small potatoes compared to other needless waste.
Yeah, except it is a problem that we can rather easily address. What is with people trying to suggest we shouldn't solve problems that are relatively solvable, instead saying we've got bigger fish to fry.
For example, my pet peeve...the fashion industry. Tons and tons of valuable resources wasted and environmental damage just to look trendy, rich and be popular. Perfectly good clothes end up in the trash bin just because "it was soooo last year". :rolleyes: Flying to European fashion shows in smoky, private jets just to look at ridiculous outfits. I mean, WTF? I could go on for days about all the stupid, wasteful shit that goes on in that industry. Yet, the subject is rarely broached for some reason.
That really a concern of yours?

What is with people trying to suggest we shouldn't solve problems that are relatively solvable, instead saying we've got bigger fish to fry.
it is one of the great wisdoms I have learned from certain luminaries of this board in my many years frequenting it.
The Whatboutist Movement of the 21st Century.

What is with people trying to suggest we shouldn't solve problems that are relatively solvable, instead saying we've got bigger fish to fry.
it is one of the great wisdoms I have learned from certain luminaries of this board in my many years frequenting it.
Except that I never said we shouldn't solve the plastic shopping bag problem. You put words in my mouth. And I would hesitate to call it "relatively solvable". As has been pointed out, every so-called alternative has its own issues and unintended consequences. There does not seem to be a no-brainer solution, just some not as bad (maybe) alternatives. We can work on the bag problem, but we should also not lose sight of the issues that really make a difference. Especially the low hanging fruit, like the fashion industry.

And one of the great disappointments I have learned from certain luminaries of this board is misrepresenting what I say and putting words in my mouth.

And one of the great disappointments I have learned from certain luminaries of this board is misrepresenting what I say and putting words in my mouth.
Perhaps, but 'twas not I who did so.

Except that I never said we shouldn't solve the plastic shopping bag problem. You put words in my mouth.
That is odd. You think we should solve it... but for whatever reason, want to change the subject to some other environmental/ecology issue. The better question is, how many people already have these types of bags at home and they don't even need to get new ones, they just need to repurpose what they have. Ultimately, none of these things individually will stop the hordes of trash we create or stop the planet from warming.

But I'm glad you agree we should do something ... SQUIRREL!!!! Clothing industry that supplies all that shit people wear (like globally) contributes 10% to carbon footprint... just like our agricultural industries who develop all the food we need. If we get rid of essentials like food and clothing, we could reduce our footprint enough so we can keep replacing out HDTVs in our homes every 3 or 4 years. I know, if you say "Fashion" it makes it seem more frivolous than clothing.

Last edited:
When I do the grocery pickup at Kroger (they do the shopping for you) they pack the groceries in heavy huge plastic bags, about twice the size of a regular grocery bag. I don't know how many times I've picked up groceries and one of those huge bags had only one item in them, like a pepper or an onion.

The local Krogers/Fred Meyers deliver in paper bags, which I use for thrash.
At least paper will breaks down.
And, I don't think they use prime timber to make paper.

Back
Top Bottom