• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

California Doing California Things

So you believe we should go easy on people who break the law?
Well, he plans to vote for a twice impeached, 91x criminally indicted, 34x criminally convicted felon for PRESIDENT.

Talk about easy on criminals … right wingers fucking elevate them. Their boy brings gangsters on stage with him, just to show what great guy criminals are.

The authoritarians in California just keep hammering away at us;

Speeding-related traffic deaths are on the rise in California. State Senator Scott Wiener hopes his bill will change that. "When we have the level of death on our roads - more than 4,000 people in California and escalating, it's gone up in the last five years, that's a policy choice," Wiener said. Senate Bill 961 is heading to Governor Gavin Newsom's desk. San Francisco Senator Scott Wiener authored the bill. It would mandate speed warning technology in cars. "It requires that for new cars starting in 2030 to have to be equipped with existing technology that exist now, that alerts people just one alert if they are going more than 10 miles an hour over the speed limit," Wiener said. If this bill is signed by the Governor, California will be the first state in the country to enact this kind of safety equipment.

News

They just sit around thinking up news ways to torment us.
My wife's car can already do that.

Confession; if I had to have a car with that chime, I would create a team cheer for my husband and I to shout out, and then put scorekeeping magnets on our fridge when we get home to compare at the end of every day. We could even re-use the little wood-chuck magnets and score sheet we had for a long time to compete on who could shoot the most varmints in a week.
Make the car chime again, daddy! Again! Again!

My partner's Mini already has a high speed chime, and I can testify to the fact that this has not prevented his car from ever speeding. We're criminals, though, so what do you expect? Authoritarian criminals, of course.

Ah, so would you advise most students, "Don't do your homework, just pass the exams and con your teachers"? Would that, in general, work for most of them, you think?
No, I would advise them "Don't do homework, it's a technique used to normalise the idea of overworking in adult life, and leads to stress, burnout, and the erosion of your happiness".

I work in order to live. I refuse to live in order to work, and I am vehemently opposed to teaching children that to do so is normal, reasonable, and sensible.

As I said earlier, schoolwork is for school. If more schoolwork is required than fits in the current hours, extend school hours.

I don't drive a bus outside work hours. If more driving is required, I expect them to negotiate that with me, extend the work hours if I choose to participate, and to pay me (including at least an additional 50% for the inconvenience, and more on weekends, nights, and public holidays) for the imposition.

Homework is training kids that it's OK for the boss to impose on their personal time; Indeed, that they do not have personal time, should the boss choose to deny it.

There oughta be a law.

Oh, wait, there is a law.
I think we are unlikely to find agreeement on this point. Ultimately, I see the long term wellbeing of my students as my primary duty as an educator. We train them for the future they're actually facing, not an idealized portrait of the one we wish for. As things stand and for the foreseable future, the vast majority of both professional work and academic instruction in the US is online, self-scheduled, and self-assessed. If we don't bother to teach our kids anything about how to work without an adult looking over their shoulder, they will be entirely cut out of the economy they need to build careers in, unless they manage to self-educate themselves in all the skills their schooling ought to have taught them. They aren't going to be working shift labor in concrete time blocks, with a parental supervisor wiping their ass and explaining how to do everything. Unless we utterly fail them, and they get stuck in non-management retail or warehouse jobs for their whole lives.

Ah, so would you advise most students, "Don't do your homework, just pass the exams and con your teachers"? Would that, in general, work for most of them, you think?
No, I would advise them "Don't do homework, it's a technique used to normalise the idea of overworking in adult life, and leads to stress, burnout, and the erosion of your happiness".

I work in order to live. I refuse to live in order to work, and I am vehemently opposed to teaching children that to do so is normal, reasonable, and sensible.

As I said earlier, schoolwork is for school. If more schoolwork is required than fits in the current hours, extend school hours.
Homework would be cheaper than more hours at school. Regardless, homework becomes a less crazy thing as one gets further in school, high school and then college. Heck, in engineering one problem could take hours to do.

Whatever happened to those breathalyzer ignition interlocks? Presumably, those are just as, if not more, insufferable than speeding chimes.
Biden's infrastructure bill is mandating it for all new cars, not just for drunk drivers (like the future vice president).

Biden administration's infrastructure bill includes anti-drunk driving system mandate for new cars

Unsurprisingly, the insufferable busybodies from MADD are behind the lobbying for this nonsense that will increase the price of all new cars and add another system that can break down (and probably brick the car until expensively fixed).

Whatever happened to those breathalyzer ignition interlocks? Presumably, those are just as, if not more, insufferable than speeding chimes.
Biden's infrastructure bill is mandating it for all new cars, not just for drunk drivers (like the future vice president).

Biden administration's infrastructure bill includes anti-drunk driving system mandate for new cars

Unsurprisingly, the insufferable busybodies from MADD are behind the lobbying for this nonsense that will increase the price of all new cars and add another system that can break down (and probably brick the car until expensively fixed).
That article is three years old now. What came of this? Anything?

According to the article
Nevertheless, the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration will have three years to decide what technology will be mandated to automakers.
Which is now.
d8b456cdda74e0f2448359edd7d88fa92f266c57.gif

I found this newer article. It says NHTSA is supposed to issue a final rule by 11/15. Still a dumb idea, or as the Germans would say, a schnapsidee. It's Californication of a national level.

According to the article
Nevertheless, the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration will have three years to decide what technology will be mandated to automakers.
Which is now.

I found this newer article. It says NHTSA is supposed to issue a final rule by 11/15. Still a dumb idea, or as the Germans would say, a schnapsidee. It's Californication of a national level.
from the article you linked:

But NHTSA may require vehicle manufacturers to install systems capable of monitoring alcohol-impaired drivers in the future, which some experts say is more practical than breathalyzers.

The agency, however, is considering three regulatory options: alcohol content detection, driver monitoring or a combination of the two. NHTSA will not address drug-impaired driving due to the technology’s immaturity and a lack of testing protocols.

Unfortunately, the language is so poorly written it’s not exactly clear to me what they are trying to say. It seems that they are more likely to try some kind of driving monitoring software akin to some systems already in place, like lane assist, rather than breathalyzer technology, which they claim is still immature.

I do not like the idea of breathalyzers so I hope that is not the case.

How many times did you call the Covid hotline to snitch on people that weren't wearing a mask?
What hotline?

Also answer the question, if you do not wish to appear a coward. If your stance is that we should go easier on people who break minor laws, say so.

answer the question, if you do not wish to appear a coward

Big “if”.
Most RW extremist don’t seem to care about that one whit. They hide among the throngs of dimwitted Trumpsuckers, where those with better than a third grade vocabulary are royalty.

How many times did you call the Covid hotline to snitch on people that weren't wearing a mask?
What hotline?

I'm sure you are the type to rat out a neighbor for having people over during covid.

Also answer the question, if you do not wish to appear a coward. If your stance is that we should go easier on people who break minor laws, say so.

Just admit you are an authoritarian control freak that wants oversight on every aspect of people's lives.

I'm sure you are the type to rat out a neighbor for having people over during covid.
On the COVID hotline that you just invented out of whole cloth? How would I call them, on my invisible telephone?

But no, I wouldn't do anything of the sort.

Just admit you are an authoritarian control freak that wants oversight on every aspect of people's lives.
No, I am not an authoritarian control freak thats oversight on every aspect of people's lives.

See how easy it is to answer a simple question?

Now your turn: Do you believe that the legal system should go easier than it does on minor crimes?

Do you believe that the legal system should go easier than it does on minor crimes?

I believe the government (anyone in fact) installing monitoring equipment in people's vehicles in order to punish them for minor infractions is Orwellian.

Do you believe that the legal system should go easier than it does on minor crimes?

I believe the government (anyone in fact) installing monitoring equipment in people's vehicles in order to punish them for minor infractions is Orwellian.
And every bit as imaginary as your non-existent COVID hotline.

But you are stil struggling to just... answer the question. It it is neither complicated nor nuanced. Do you believe that we need to back off on law enforcement, or not?

And every bit as imaginary as your non-existent COVID hotline.

I'm sure we had one here in Los Angeles, mayor Garcetti had something going about "snitches getting rewards" I'm pretty sure you'd be all over that.

But you are stil struggling to just... answer the question. It it is neither complicated nor nuanced. Do you believe that we need to back off on law enforcement, or not?

I am reasonably satisfied with the existing traffic speeding law enforcement as they stand and do not want or need the government monitoring me every time I take a trip in my car.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom