• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

California May Have a Random Celebrity Republican as Governor Soon

This result will just embolden the insufferable prick Newsom and his incompetence and crap policies will continue. His campaign never addressed any of the problems California is experiencing, just banged on about Trump as did the dummies from out of state that flew in to support him.

Looks like you may have to move.

:rub:

Idaho's getting a bit booked up, but I hear Texas has room.

This result will just embolden the insufferable prick Newsom and his incompetence and crap policies will continue. His campaign never addressed any of the problems California is experiencing, just banged on about Trump as did the dummies from out of state that flew in to support him.

Looks like you may have to move.

:rub:

Idaho's getting a bit booked up, but I hear Texas has room.

.. or "a" room...

Fox News is certainly more reliable than some of the other sources posted regularly on here like Mother Jones, Truthout, Intercept or Daily Kos.

Oh really @Derec?
Which of them has defended their inaccuracies (lies) in court, by asserting that nobody in their right mind would ever believe what they say?

While Larry Elder told Republicans from elsewhere to just plain stay out of California, right?

When the recall election was only about GN, he didn't do well, but when it became evident who his replacement was likely to be, that was a big boost for him.

California Recall Election Results: Live Map - The New York Times
Jennifer Medina, Reporting from Los Angeles Sept. 14, 2021
Gov. Gavin Newsom is speaking now. “No is not the only thing that was expressed tonight,” he says. “We said yes to science, yes to vaccines, yes to ending this pandemic.”

Jeremy W. Peters, Reporting from Orange County 1:01 AM ET
A lot of Republicans said they would have done better without a polemicist like Larry Elder, the conservative radio host, as their leading candidate. But given the state of the GOP today, that might not be true. Even in California.

Jennifer Medina, Reporting from Los Angeles 1:14 AM ET
Both the California GOP and leading Republican candidate Larry Elder have conceded the race, a notable development given how much they did to sow distrust, without evidence, in the results before Election Day.

Conor Dougherty, Reporting from Oakland 1:38 AM ET
Some California Democrats are (optimistically) suggesting that the recall may end up paying dividends in 2022, laying the foundation for a get-out-the-vote effort that will help the party retake the House seats they lost in 2020.

When will we know the results of the election?
Counties have 30 days after the election to complete the official canvass. Complete results will not be available immediately after the polls close. Under an extension of pandemic voting rules, mail-in ballots were sent weeks ago to all 22 million or so voters in California, and election workers have been readying them for counting as voters return them. But many voters plan to cast their ballots in person, and there will be a wait for provisional ballots and those that are not mailed until the Sept. 14 election deadline.
The main "No" voters were in the big cities on the coast, and in the southeast, while the main "Yes" voters were in the Central Valley and in the northeast.

Larry Elder was preferred in every county in California but one, and in most counties by double digits. That exception was San Francisco County, 21% Kevin Paffrath, 20% LE, and some single-digit counties were Alameda County (East Bay), LE - KP = 6%, and in Marin County (North Bay), LE - KP = 9%.

When the recall election was only about GN, he didn't do well, but when it became evident who his replacement was likely to be, that was a big boost for him.

Which is why I said earlier;

It is unfortunate that Elder is constantly touted as being ahead in the polls as he is quite a turn off to potential "yes" voters which works in Newsom's favor.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one who thought this.

Can't t assume Newsom has won. It would be a easy victory for him in a regular election simply because of a big partisan advantage, but in this special election the Republicans are much more energized to vote, so it's going to depend on turnout.

There are plenty democrats (and independents) dissatisfied with Newsom's incompetence. Whether they are unhappy enough to remove him remains to be seen.

I guess Newsom's incompetence is preferable to Larry Elder. I understand that. It's a pity the arrogant asshole Newsom sees this result as him doing a good job.

Fox News is certainly more reliable than some of the other sources posted regularly on here like Mother Jones, Truthout, Intercept or Daily Kos.

Oh really @Derec?
Which of them has defended their inaccuracies (lies) in court, by asserting that nobody in their right mind would ever believe what they say?

*Successfully* defended, if I recall correctly.

I guess Newsom's incompetence is preferable to Larry Elder.
How is this different from "Californians consider, by a wide margin, Newsom more competent than the best Republican candidate?"

You might think that Newsom is incompetent, but a large majority of Californians have now voted for him.
Twice.
Tom

I guess Newsom's incompetence is preferable to Larry Elder.
How is this different from "Californians consider, by a wide margin, Newsom more competent than the best Republican candidate?"

You might think that Newsom is incompetent, but a large majority of Californians have now voted for him.
Twice.
Tom

Twice in three years, thanks to the thoughtful efforts of Republican Party.

It's clear to most of us that "When they go low, we go high" isn't working/never worked/won't work. The GOP is a dirty, hypocritical, power-mad party at its core, bent on running the country from a minority status and doing a damned effective job of it.

The latest numbers from the NYT: No 63.8%, Yes 36.2%, with 74% counted.

Remaining ballots:
For a recall: No 7.7%, Yes 92.3%
To get No 58%, Yes 42%: No 29.8%, Yes 70.2%.

Fox News TOO EMBARRASSED To React - YouTube - The Damage Report - Francesca Fiorentini, Jayar Jackson
Noting
Brian Stelter on Twitter: "One America News Network's handling of the GOP defeat ..." / Twitter
One America News Network's handling of the GOP defeat in California has been so, so weird that I have to tell you about it. (1/7)

OAN is low-rated and cheaply-produced, but it's on the channel lineup right next to legit news in millions of homes. It is a refuge for those who think Fox is too liberal. Its hosts pushed voter fraud propaganda before the polls closed in California. (2/7)

The polls closed more than 10 hours ago. The recall failed. It wasn't close. But OAN *has not reported the results of the recall a single time* that I can find. I have scoured the transcripts and watched the morning coverage – zero mentions. But it's weirder than that... (3/7)

OAN keeps talking ABOUT the recall. "Officials are finishing up the ballot count," different anchors reading the same script said at both 5 and 7am ET. But they're not admitting what AP, CNN, and everyone else reported last night: The recall failed. Newsom prevailed. (4/7)

OAN keeps rerunning a generic news package that describe why the recall happened and, followed by recaps of Kevin Faulconer and Larry Elder's concession speeches, without explaining that they lost! Leaving viewers with the impression that... ?!?!? (5/7)

Elder is even quoted saying "we may have lost the battle, but we are going to win the war." The on-screen tab says "RECALL NEWSOM;" the banner says "ELDER: WE'VE GOT A STATE TO SAVE." It's just strange – OAN is not alleging fraud but is totally ignoring the news. (6/7)

Kicker: Here's Elder, in an interview that OAN re-aired at 3 in the morning after he conceded defeat, claiming "I think so many people are going to vote yes on this recall, there won't be any question about it." If I were the host, I'd be embarrassed to see this re-air. (7/7)

Update to my thread: 12 hours after newsrooms projected Newsom's win and nearly 2 hours after I tweeted about OAN's ignorance, the channel briefly mentioned that the recall "secured Gavin Newsom's role as California's governor." Then OAN ran an old package of Elder soundbites.
So OAN barely mentioned their side's defeat in CA. Mostly showing Larry Elder's concession speech without mentioning what it was about.

Twice.
Tom

Well, Californians sure know what they want, and they are getting it good and hard. I guess that's what democracy is. :tonguea:

Oh really @Derec?

Instead of continuing to play these silly games you love to play, which parts of the Newsom/Abdullah article do you contend are factually incorrect and why?

Someone in Newsmax said that Gov. Newsom was going to win because of his hair. FF snickered about his hair, saying that that makes him look like some game-show host with too much pomade.

Aaron Rupar on Twitter: "As noted by @brianstelter, OAN's coverage of the California recall result is extremely bizarre. They're refusing to admit that Elder lost and Newsom won, and are instead pretending the result isn't yet known.
This clip gives you the flavor. (vid link)" / Twitter

Elder: "we've got a state to save." "We may have lost a battle, but we are going to win the war."

Aaron Rupar on Twitter: "Gov. Gavin Newsom: "Just in the last few days, the former president put out, saying this election was rigged. Democracy is not a football. You don't throw it around ... we may have defeated Trump, but Trumpism is not dead in this country." (vid link)" / Twitter

Aaron Rupar on Twitter: "Fox News hasn’t tweeted about the California recall result yet. Instead:" / Twitter
noting
Fox News on Twitter: "Chrissy Teigen says she had fat removed from her cheeks: 'No shame in my game' (link)" / Twitter
noting
Chrissy Teigen says she had fat removed from her cheeks: 'No shame in my game' | Fox News

Aaron Rupar on Twitter: "Nearly 8 hours later and Fox News still hasn’t tweeted about the California recall result. Instead:" / Twitter
noting
Fox News on Twitter: "Jana Kramer and Jay Cutler photographed together for first time during night out (link)" / Twitter
noting
Jana Kramer and Jay Cutler photographed together for first time during night out | Fox News

So you assert. But what is evidenced right here in your forum posts, is that you parrot the talking points of Cheato and his cabal of racist traitors.
Utter nonsense. I will, however, criticize the Democratic Party, which has slid leftward quite a bit in recent years, whenever I see fit. As to the "cabal of racist traitors", that is exactly what the terrorists Melina Aabdullah supports are.

"Oh, spare me the handwringing over the four airliners crashed on 9/11! You are ignoring the Piper cub, piloted - not "taken over", but piloted !!!1111! by an extremist who tried to violate federal airspace! REPEATEDLY! And the EPIDEMIC of shoplifters!"

That makes no sense even if you put it in a larger font.

Your complaining would be downright comical - pure Saturday Night Live gold- if it were not for your tragic inability to differentiate an attack on democratic process, interrupting Constitutional procedure at the highest level,

I am not saying that 1/6 riot should not be condemned or that the perps should not be prosecuted. But it has become ridiculous how much the left (including MSM like CNN) are talking about this. Enough already! I brought up BLA terrorists because a Newsom campaign event speaker supports them and your retort is "but January 6th". That's ridiculous!

causing millions in property damage to the US CAPITOL,
#BLMers caused billions of property damage to businesses and government buildings - local, state and federal too.

and injuring or killing hundreds of law enforcement injuries,
Hundreds of law enforcement officers (I presume you meant to write?) were not injured or killed during 6/1.
And a lot more people - civilians and law enforcement alike - were injured and killed during #BLM rioting. Including an 8 year old girl in Atlanta.

from the free exercise of democracy. That such exercise is usually tainted by a few individuals tagging walls, starting bonfires and causing damage to police stations, federal LE outposts etc., as has always been the case with protests, does not place them in the same category as a bloody coup attempt.
Again you are trying to dismiss left-wing violence - even though it was far more destructive - and pretend that only January 6th matters.

This is what your #BLM buddies did in Kenosha.
kenosha-burning.jpg
They did similar things in dozens of US cities!

Anyone who remains blind to and fails to acknowledge that distinction, qualifies as a trumpsucker in my book.

Then your book is not worth the paper it is printed on. I am not a "Trumpsucker" nor do I dismiss the January 6th riots, I am just acknowledging that the #BLM riots of 2020/21 have been far more destructive. Why do you have such a need to downplay it or pretend that it doesn't matter?

Thank you for doubling down and proving my point.
What point? Again, show me where the Fox News article I posted was factually wrong.

The fact is that Abdullah spoke at a Newsom rally and it is fact that she is a BLA terrorist supporter.

The conservonazis complain about homelessness, then spend 269 million on their frivolous attempt to undermine democracy.
How is a constitutional democratic process "undermining democracy"? We may debate how recall should work, but it is not debatable that currently valid democratic procedures were followed.

They could have given 269,000 homeless people $1000.00 each to better effect. (If they actually gave a damn.)
What do you think these urban outdoorsmen would spend that dough on?
funny-begger-no-bullshit.jpg

The only one who would have inherited the office if the Republitard shenanigans succeeded.

Only because Dems effectively boycotted the 2nd question. They could have put forward a competent candidate for Dems to rally around, but they chose not to. Now California is stuck with empty suit Newsom.

Pretending otherwise doesn’t shield youfrom the abject stupidity of voting to oust the guy who actually believes science.
Does he though? What about public health implications of widespread public defecation while he was mayor of SF?

He is also anti nuclear energy.
Governor Newsom’s Move to Shut Down the Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant Reverses Environmental Progress

Derec wants to pretend that this recall was a rational response to Newson's governing failures.
Not to mention his rank hypocrisy.
There have been two recall attempts in California in the last 20 years. Gray Davis and Gavin Newsom. So recalls are not done at the drop of a hat. Both these governors have been abject failures. The differences in 2003 are twofold - one, Republicans rallied around a candidate, Arnold Schwarzenegger, who had a lot of crossover appeal and two, Dems put up their own candidate should the recall succeed.

Not just a temper tantrum about not being able to get haircuts.
Well, if you are in the political elite you were always able to skirt shutdowns.
maxresdefault.jpg
Newsom himself also doesn't look like he missed a single hair appointment in his entire life.

Back
Top Bottom