• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

California May Have a Random Celebrity Republican as Governor Soon

I'm sure this is a grand Democratic conspiracy to suppress all those juicy Republican votes Lawndale/Compton is so well known for, as opposed to the seemingly way more obvious answer that this is just some dude who steals mail to pay for drugs.

He’s paying for drugs with Newsom recall ballots? Why, who’d want the ballots in exchange for drugs? We’ve got a mystery to solve.

This sounds like job for Mystery Inc.

Newsom and the Dems are crapping their pants.

You know, we've got a second Andrew Jackson on our hands; some of that Whig energy might not go amiss right now. The National Bank, federal protection of critical infrastructure, Congressional control over new lawmaking... there are some ideas that shouldn't have been allowed to die with them.

I'm not talking history either. What I wrote describes current events.

If we weren't talking about this particular governor's race, and I describe these two candidates, which do you think is the Democrat?
* A poor black kid from the inner city, goes to mediocre inner city schools, works hard, goes to college, becomes a lawyer at a prestigious law firm. He then moved on to social commentary.
* A rich white kid who went to elite private schools because his dad is a lawyer that represents oil companies. He used his business contacts to start his own business before going into politics.

Could easily be either. I don't know why anyone would think otherwise, aside from the relative rarity of Black Republican politicians in the post-Obama period.

If Elder does win this race, I will be happy that my actually-way-more-racist-than-most-people-realize home state has finally broken the ceiling that has kept the Governor's mansion White until now. But that doesn't mean I'm going to be happy that it's Elder, or that I support anything he's proposed so far politically. This bullshit about any criticism of Elder being racist is a real fat load, and no one is buying it.

He’s paying for drugs with Newsom recall ballots? Why, who’d want the ballots in exchange for drugs? We’ve got a mystery to solve.

How secure are such ballots? Will the signatures be checked to find this fraud?

Assuming that these ballots really are the thieves' target, it's safe to conclude they're just doing it for money. But who's providing the money? Based on which party has been most intent on cheating in recent years, it's pretty clear how the smart money would bet.

How secure are such ballots? Will the signatures be checked to find this fraud?

Assuming that these ballots really are the thieves' target, it's safe to conclude they're just doing it for money. But who's providing the money? Based on which party has been most intent on cheating in recent years, it's pretty clear how the smart money would bet.

There's no reason to think the ballots are anything but bycatch.

One thing we know absolutely for sure is that this one guy was a singular incident and not indicative of any trends or plots of any sort by any politician or political party. Absolutely not, that's conspiracy theory territory.

One thing we know absolutely for sure is that this one guy was a singular incident and not indicative of any trends or plots of any sort by any politician or political party. Absolutely not, that's conspiracy theory territory.

Too bad there's a political party in the United States whose policies and actions are very frequently based on conspiracy theories of various sorts. Are you forgetting what got the Trump train out of the station to begin with?

If this recall fails, Trump will be telling all his followers that this was solely because Newsom used his sinister deep-state powers to destroy "hundreds of thousands" of pro-recall votes, and they will believe him with their whole hearts.

What we really need is a candidate who would pledge to step aside and have a committee do the executive functions, and the members of the committee would be chosen by lot.

Why? Isn’t “design by committee” the proverbial worst approach to decision making?

No. There's only one argument against committees making decisions.

And that's the cliché: A camel is a horse designed by a committee. (or proverb)

And except for that, no one has ever given an argument why a committee wouldn't do a better job of decision-making than a "president" or "CEO" or "governor" etc.

E.g., just look at Trump and Biden. How could a committee do worse?

Thomas Sowell: “I cannot understand people who say that minorities should be represented everywhere and yet are upset when there are blacks represented in the conservative movement.”

No one is complaining that they identify as black. The problem is that conservatism is a broken and dangerous ideology regardless of who is promoting it.

Dude, the left promotes diversity as the panacea for all social ills; but only if that non-White person espouses the leftist diktat.

Diversity isn't a leftist diktat nor liberal policy, it is a fact. Where the right and the left differ is the left accepts the fact that we have to work with diversity and the right ignores the fact and says that we can go back to the way things used to be, i.e. with white males still running the country. The exact same problem we have, facts versus fantasies, with many life and death problems like COVID-19 and climate change.

Thus you expose the limitations of your political philosophy and the reason that you seem to be so confused and out of touch with reality.

Most of the blacks that I know are socially and politically conservative. The only reason that they vote consistently democratic is that the Republicans have based most of their political philosophy on fear-mongering white males that the economy is a zero-sum game and blacks are going to take their jobs and marry their children. And that the government should game the economy to direct as much income to the already rich as possible primarily by suppressing the wages of the 99% which increases profits.

Too bad there's a political party in the United States whose policies and actions are very frequently based on conspiracy theories of various sorts. Are you forgetting what got the Trump train out of the station to begin with?

If this recall fails, Trump will be telling all his followers that this was solely because Newsom used his sinister deep-state powers to destroy "hundreds of thousands" of pro-recall votes, and they will believe him with their whole hearts.

Exactly. This absolutely cannot be a conspiracy because only Republicans do conspiracies. This guy was just a single rouge actor, nothing more.

Exactly. This absolutely cannot be a conspiracy because only Republicans do conspiracies. This guy was just a single rouge actor, nothing more.

What conspiracies? :confused:

Only Republicans are stupid enough to fall for attention-grabbing headlines like this one.

Starting to see some less-bad news over the last 48 hours, with a few polls indicating that more Democrats are aware of and planning to participate in the vote:

Newsom has strong support in latest California recall survey

Latest Polls Of The California Recall Election

I voted this morning, for what that's worth. I had considered for security reasons waiting and handing it in at the polling place on the day, but decided I trust the post office to deliver mail more than I trust a bunch of Republican voters not to be super-spreading the 'Rona at our polling place.

I don't agree with the logic of leaving side 2 blank, so I held my nose and gave my vote to that shitless weasel-muncher Paffrath. Man, California never comes out looking good from these clown car affairs.

This guy is such a schmuck. Why would anyone vote to keep him?
This post contined a link to an old interview. And the very next post linked to a YouTube from 2013?

Google a GOP star and there's no need to cherry-pick. Close your eyes and click at random and almost any GOP star will show up far worse than Newsom.

And, if you're so anxious to get rid of Newsom, who should replace him? The main choices seem to be Larry Elder (talk show ranter) and Kevin Paffrath (professional YouTuber). Which do you advise for Californians who want to get rid of the "schmuck"?

Yet another reason to recall the incompetent boob Newsom.

California and Los Angeles County have agreed to pay a church that repeatedly defied Governor Gavin Newsom's public health restrictions amid the COVID-19 pandemic $800,000 in a legal settlement. The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors voted in favor of the settlement on Tuesday. The county and the state will each pay $400,000 to Sun Valley's Grace Community Church to settle a prolonged legal battle that began when the church refused to follow Newsom's COVID-19 restrictions last year. The church was sued by the county for not following restrictions including a since-rescinded ban on indoor worship, while the church also sued the county and the state over the restrictions. County officials said that Tuesday's settlement was "responsible and appropriate" in light of a February Supreme Court ruling that found California could not enforce many of its pandemic restrictions on churches.

News

California and Los Angeles County have agreed to pay a church that repeatedly defied Governor Gavin Newsom's public health restrictions amid the COVID-19 pandemic $800,000 in a legal settlement. The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors voted in favor of the settlement on Tuesday. The county and the state will each pay $400,000 to Sun Valley's Grace Community Church to settle a prolonged legal battle that began when the church refused to follow Newsom's COVID-19 restrictions last year. The church was sued by the county for not following restrictions including a since-rescinded ban on indoor worship, while the church also sued the county and the state over the restrictions. County officials said that Tuesday's settlement was "responsible and appropriate" in light of a February Supreme Court ruling that found California could not enforce many of its pandemic restrictions on churches.

News

So we need to recall any governor who upsets an affluent megachurch? Can I hold you to that?

News

So we need to recall any governor who upsets an affluent megachurch? Can I hold you to that?

By "upset" do you mean trample on constitutional rights ?

And then squander millions of dollars of tax payers money chasing a lost cause.

The recall is not about "upsetting" one particular group either. This incident is just another example of his arrogance.

And then squander millions of dollars of tax payers money chasing a lost cause.
Like straight up wasting 276 million taxpayer dollars because you think your elected leader is "arrogant" and can't wait a year and a half to vote him out democratically?

Back
Top Bottom