• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Split City Vs Country Politics

To notify a split thread.
This whole conversation is incredibly ironic. It is also demonstrative of how I am regarded.

AFTER I made a post answering Toni's question, post #194 of this thread, there is a repeated barrage of people saying I never answer questions.

Oh, since "scroll up" is considered not answering a question, would it be the case that saying "post #194" is also considered not answering a question? Probably. You don't want to see me answering a question because doing so means you can no longer say I don't.

Aha! So the reason you NEVER answer questions, especially when sincere, and why you make OUTRAGEOUS claims without ever posting the slightest citation, explanation or corroboration . . . is becuase . . .
. . . of some slight you experienced some years ago that most of us never noticed or have long forgotten.

Got it. This was very helpful. I've been wondering why your posts all seem like vacuous prattle.
Noo.....

The reason I'm accused of doing it is because Zipr actually does it.

I'd say "if you look you will notice that I did answer Toni's question" but as long as you refuse to look you won't find out that I already answered the question. Then you won't be able to say I do what Zipr actually does.

Jill Biden thinks I'm a breakfast taco.
No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA
The word "know" has one silent k.
The word "knuckle" has two silent k's.
The word "Democrat" has three silent k's.

Two points.
(1) If you really wanted to defend this claim with evidence you would link to the relevant posts.
(2) I wasn't reacting to your interactions with Toni or Zipr. I am reacting to your interactions with ME.
Yup. He should be charging me rent for that space I'm taking up in his noggin.

This whole conversation is incredibly ironic. It is also demonstrative of how I am regarded.

AFTER I made a post answering Toni's question, post #194 of this thread, there is a repeated barrage of people saying I never answer questions.

Oh, since "scroll up" is considered not answering a question, would it be the case that saying "post #194" is also considered not answering a question? Probably. You don't want to see me answering a question because doing so means you can no longer say I don't.
Stopped clock.

echo chambers are something you have to enter, and bubbles are something you form around yourself.
These are not things being done to you
I agree in general, but do have to say this sounds a bit like TomC railing against people, who, unlike him, indulge in sexual behavior that could result in pregnancy.
You might have some increment of additional self awareness that has kept you from forming rigid bubbles around yourself and succumbing to the allure of echo chambers, but it is naive to expect that from your average bear, let alone from all or most - or even many of them.

I agree in general, but do have to say this sounds a bit like TomC railing against people, who, unlike him, indulge in sexual behavior that could result in pregnancy.

FYI, I'm a nondescrimitatory prude.

It's not just breeders, although they do run a risk that we queers do not.
Tom

FYI, I'm a nondescrimitatory prude.

It's not just breeders, although they do run a risk that we queers do not.
Tom
… and P&F doesn’t indulge in echo chambers.
Most people do, and most people run the risk of pregnancy. Proclaiming your innocence doesn’t mitigate either problem, but kudos and congrats to you both - even though both of you are just following your preferences like everyone else.

Proclaiming your innocence doesn’t mitigate either problem,
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I'm no innocent. Quite the contrary, my prudishness is the voice of experience.
Tom

echo chambers are something you have to enter, and bubbles are something you form around yourself.
These are not things being done to you
You might have some increment of additional self awareness that has kept you from forming rigid bubbles around yourself and succumbing to the allure of echo chambers, but it is naive to expect that from your average bear, let alone from all or most - or even many of them.
Well, to be fair, the difference is that I don't judge people for it or expect them not to do it. There's a difference between "I acknowledge the reality of the mechanics of this situation" and "I have an unreasonable insistence on how other people behave".

My only rhetorical point on that subject is to reject the idea that "the people" are innocent victims of a mass propaganda conspiracy that is inflicting bigotry on them against their will.
I'm not saying that an attempt to slant people doesn't exist or that the noise machine for the right isn't notably louder, just that to listen to that siren call in the first place is something you have to be predisposed towards.

Yeah yeah we’re all sinners. I still wanna wop trumpsuckers upside the head.

So, one thing I mentioned in a split that will probably shortly be being joined back into this thread is the consideration of language such as "flyover country" and "the ivory tower".

I would ask @Toni to perhaps treat "The Ivory Tower", from the empathized perspective of "City folks", but from the mind of one of those "country folks" in the same way that was rendered perhaps inappropriately in the impending split/merge.

So, one thing I mentioned in a split that will probably shortly be being joined back into this thread is the consideration of language such as "flyover country" and "the ivory tower".

I would ask @Toni to perhaps treat "The Ivory Tower", from the empathized perspective of "City folks", but from the mind of one of those "country folks" in the same way that was rendered perhaps inappropriately in the impending split/merge.
I tend to think as The Ivory Tower as meaning to legend and able to deal only with ideals and ideas, not the messy realities of The Real World.

Being so academia-adjacent, I hear it with reference to…academia.

Not for nuthin’ but I know some big city Trumpsuckers. And a bunch of old people ( like, old enough to be my parents old!) who are pretty darn liberal.
How are you still not getting this, except for some kind of intentional obtuse dullard performance art?

Nobody has ever, in the history of the human species, said nobody out in the sticks is a liberal.
Likewise, nobody has ever said that people in the cities aren't regressive fascists.

But, the regressive fascists in cities are outvoted by liberals, and so populated counties have Democrat representatives.
In rural counties, it's the other way around, and so less populated counties have Republican representatives.

This is so consistent, that Republican counties vastly out number Democrat counties, despite the population metric of Democrat counties being much higher.
If you *still* can't wrap your head around this, look at Colorado - it's a magnificent example of this principle at work, and also a brilliant contrast in city vs rural politics.
Every single rural county in the state votes Republican, and every single county and district in the state is republican... except for 3 cities, and between those three cities there are more people than in the rest of the state *combined*, and those three cities and the related districts and counties are always solidly Democrat to the point where the state assembly is Democrat controlled the Gov. is a Democrat and right now Colorado is doing fairly decently in terms of progressiveness.

If it weren't for Denver and Boulder, Colorado would be another Arizona.
City voters in Colorado gave us a progressive gay Gov. who just removed the tax on diapers and tampons, and who made it a law that businesses have to publicly disclose the salary of a position in the job listing. City voters gave Colorado affirmed abortion access, and a commitment to assist people fleeing other states to get an abortion.
Rural voters in Colorado gave us Lauren Boebert.

This is how it works everywhere in this country, this isn't a difficult concept to grasp.

Again, zero evidence. You're keeping up your perfect record!!
Oh, I disagree. Generally speaking, everything JH says is overflowing with evidence.

[goes back to watching Fox News]

Fox News doesn't call out Joe Biden as a racist. People like me are "the help" to him.
What makes you say that?

He said that Latinx Americans are afraid to get the vaccine because they will get deported. I guess Biden thinks all Latins are illegals, plus he is colonizing our language.
Of course he shows some respect for my people by saying we are so diverse with incredibly different attitudes about different thing, unlike African Americans.
Speaking of African Americans, he has delegated to himself the authority to decide who is black and who isn't based on how they vote.
In the eulogy for Sen Byrd (D-KKK) he said that Byrd was a mentor to him and the senate is a lesser place without him.
He doesn't look down on all African Americans though, he said that Obama was the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean. Even Jessie Jackson called that one out, and he seldom calls out Democrats.
Talking to a black audience he said that black parents welcome government social workers into their homes because they want to properly raise their kids but don't know how.
Those kids can get ahead given the right opportunity, because poor kids can have as much success as white kids. The problem is black business owners don't know how to hire lawyers the way white business owners do and that is why their businesses fail.
I guess that's why Biden thinks African Americans are more likely to be Super Predators as he said in support of the 1994 crime bill.
He has opinions on other races as well. Apparently you need an Indian accent to go into a 7-11.
I've been traveling and did not see this post until you referred to it later, which is why I did not respond.

My personal thoughts re: Joe Biden: He's a man of his generation and he is extremely gaff prone. Does he harbor racist ideas and ideology? Probably. Do I like that about him? Absolutely not. I do differentiate between someone who says some very non-PC things that may belie some racist attitudes and someone who wants to keep not-white people in their place, preferably behind a broom or behind bars. I think he is willing to work with people with whom he deeply disagrees and whose ideology he abhors---because that's been his job for decades. He's good at it.

One of the reasons I did not particularly want Biden to be POTUS was because of his age and also because of the attitudes that were somewhat ingrained in much of that generation. It's hard to put behind 100% you the mindset you grew up surrounded by.

I'm thrilled with a lot of what Biden has done. I wish he were less gaffe prone. Despite some of the things he has said, he chose a woman and a woman of color as his VP and has appointed a far more diverse cabinet and other appointed office holders than any other previous POTUS. His agenda is remarkably progressive, given expectations. I wish he were 20 years younger, for sure.

Not for nuthin’ but I know some big city Trumpsuckers. And a bunch of old people ( like, old enough to be my parents old!) who are pretty darn liberal.
How are you still not getting this, except for some kind of intentional obtuse dullard performance art?

Nobody has ever, in the history of the human species, said nobody out in the sticks is a liberal.
Likewise, nobody has ever said that people in the cities aren't regressive fascists.

But, the regressive fascists in cities are outvoted by liberals, and so populated counties have Democrat representatives.
In rural counties, it's the other way around, and so less populated counties have Republican representatives.

This is so consistent, that Republican counties vastly out number Democrat counties, despite the population metric of Democrat counties being much higher.
If you *still* can't wrap your head around this, look at Colorado - it's a magnificent example of this principle at work, and also a brilliant contrast in city vs rural politics.
Every single rural county in the state votes Republican, and every single county and district in the state is republican... except for 3 cities, and between those three cities there are more people than in the rest of the state *combined*, and those three cities and the related districts and counties are always solidly Democrat to the point where the state assembly is Democrat controlled the Gov. is a Democrat and right now Colorado is doing fairly decently in terms of progressiveness.

City voters in Colorado gave us a progressive gay Gov. who just removed the tax on diapers and tampons, and who made it a law that businesses have to publicly disclose the salary of a position in the job listing. City voters gave Colorado affirmed abortion access, and a commitment to assist people fleeing other states to get an abortion.

This is how it works everywhere in this country, this isn't a difficult concept to grasp.
I guess I'm just not as smart as you are.

It doesn't change how clear this situation is and how bizarre it is that you keep harping on something that doesn't even exist rather than acknowledge reality.

It doesn't change how clear this situation is and how bizarre it is that you keep harping on something that doesn't even exist rather than acknowledge reality.
I'm sure you know best.

I'm keeping my thoughts regarding your reading comprehension to myself.

look at Colorado - it's a magnificent example of this principle at work, and also a brilliant contrast in city vs rural politics.
Every single rural county in the state votes Republican, and every single county and district in the state is republican...

Wut?
Nope. My county (pop 12-18k) went for Obama twice, Hillary and Sleepy Joe. County Commissioner is a Dem, though the board is split. Anyhow, Colorado hasn’t been the example you claim for decades.

look at Colorado - it's a magnificent example of this principle at work, and also a brilliant contrast in city vs rural politics.
Every single rural county in the state votes Republican, and every single county and district in the state is republican...

Wut?
Nope. My county (pop 12-18k) went for Obama twice, Hillary and Sleepy Joe. County Commissioner is a Dem, though the board is split. Anyhow, Colorado hasn’t been the example you claim for decades.
Ok, "every" was inaccurate. But look at an election map of the state, what I said is broadly correct.

Back
Top Bottom