• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Classified documents and their location

Tigers!

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Bible believing revelational redemptionist (Baptist)
Being following with a tiny bit of interest the issue of classified documents appearing in private homes and offices.
Is this rather cavalier attitude to classified documents widespread in the US?

James Comey said it's not that unusual and probably all presidents have done it inadvertently.

It's probably widespread everywhere if you don't care about context. I know there is classified material stored in a study of a 74 year olds house in the the suburbs of Sydney, and he stopped working for the government in 2003. The classified material is an Outlook Express manual.

In terms of the Trump situation - no. Those documents shouldn't have even left the room they were stored in and people need to be fired at the very least. In terms of the Biden situation - it not good but we don't know how bad. Until it's disclosed whether the documents were confidential, secret, top secret or top secret - sensitive compartment information we really can't say one way or the other.

To put it another way, I wouldn't be surprised if there are confidential and secret documents being stored in a cavalier fashion. I'd be amazed if that were the case with top secret and TS/SCI documents.

It’s unlikely that either Trump or Biden did it. They don’t pack their boxes. Aides do that. They just weren’t being careful.

I wonder if they need to search Obama’s house? Wouldn’t surprise me if there were some.

In terms of the Trump situation - no. Those documents shouldn't have even left the room they were stored in and people need to be fired at the very least. In terms of the Biden situation - it not good but we don't know how bad. Until it's disclosed whether the documents were confidential, secret, top secret or top secret - sensitive compartment information we really can't say one way or the other.

It is worth pointing out that when it comes to the infamous "Biden documents," the relevant agencies responsible for securing said documents had no idea that they were missing...for quite a long time.

Biden vacated the Vice President's office in January of 2017, and not a soul knew the material was missing until (according to accounts) November of 2022.

By comparison, the relevant agencies responsible for securing the documents in the Trump case realized something was terribly wrong shortly after he'd set up the "Office of the 45th President" at Mar A Lago and began asking after the material in short order.

Now,if I have it right, national secrets have a short "shelf life." Maybe the stuff in Biden's garage was critical six years ago. It's probably not so now.

The feds had quite a bit more sense of urgency about recovering the stuff in Trump's storage room.

Being following with a tiny bit of interest the issue of classified documents appearing in private homes and offices.
Well... yes. We're very sloppy, in comparison to many other nations, and I've heard some pretty astounding tales about the fate of classified information, documents, and technologies over the years.

It seems to be the case that there is too much "trust" in the system for classified info. The difference with Trump is that the records people said he had documents and he refused to give them up. The other documents were apparently lost in the system and no one appeared to noticed it, which is an issue in itself.

I worked for a major defense contractor from the mid 80's to mid 90's and had multiple level security clearances, with access to nuclear weapons design info. Classified document security was taken extremely seriously (and not in the way Biden says he takes it seriously :rolleyes: ). Classified documents were locked in a special file cabinet, secured by a special combination padlock. You did not even leave your desk for 10 seconds to get a cup of coffee if you had classified documents on it. The idea of anyone taking a classified document home was completely outrageous and grounds for firing and a little visit from Uncle Sam. What both Trump and Biden did was insane. Perhaps if there was a special classified courier and home safe, and security guards at their respective homes and a special need for having these documents at home (say, a potential national emergency), it could be justified. But, sitting in a garage for many years next to a Corvette and some old dried up paint cans and whatever? Or in a posh resort? WTF?! There should be some sort of in depth investigation and subsequent reprimand for these two knuckleheads.

I worked for a major defense contractor from the mid 80's to mid 90's and had multiple level security clearances, with access to nuclear weapons design info. Classified document security was taken extremely seriously (and not in the way Biden says he takes it seriously :rolleyes: ). Classified documents were locked in a special file cabinet, secured by a special combination padlock. You did not even leave your desk for 10 seconds to get a cup of coffee if you had classified documents on it. The idea of anyone taking a classified document home was completely outrageous and grounds for firing and a little visit from Uncle Sam. What both Trump and Biden did was insane. Perhaps if there was a special classified courier and home safe, and security guards at their respective homes and a special need for having these documents at home (say, a potential national emergency), it could be justified. But, sitting in a garage for many years next to a Corvette and some old dried up paint cans and whatever? Or in a posh resort? WTF?! There should be some sort of in depth investigation and subsequent reprimand for these two knuckleheads.
You're making the common error of thinking that the boss is expected to work under the same rules as his underlings.

Who, exactly, do you expect to rap the President's knuckles if he leaves a classified document on his desk while he nips out for a quick piss? (Obviously he has a lackey to fetch him a cup of coffee).

Assuming that anything at all is said, it's going to be less "You blithering idiot! Don't you dare do that ever again or you will be breaking rocks in Leavenworth for the next decade!!", and more, "Excuse me sir, but the Joint Chiefs would be most grateful if you could try to remember to lock those papers away before leaving the room".

One minor nitpick, I'm assuming Biden's garage was under Secret Service protection, having been his house and all.

That is shouldn't have been there is definitely an issue, but people assessing his garage isn't quite the same as people assessing Trump's personal office at his golf course.

There are a couple of things to consider.

1) Trump, good news is they knew stuff was missing. They wanted the docs back. Trump refused to return a number of them that he had to of known he had.
2) Biden, bad news, no one seemed to know this stuff was missing. No idea why he had them. No idea why they were uncovered at his home. They found the others because they were packing, so probably inventorying led to their discovery. Did they decide to check elsewhere after these were found?

You're making the common error of thinking that the boss is expected to work under the same rules as his underlings.

Who, exactly, do you expect to rap the President's knuckles if he leaves a classified document on his desk while he nips out for a quick piss? (Obviously he has a lackey to fetch him a cup of coffee).

Assuming that anything at all is said, it's going to be less "You blithering idiot! Don't you dare do that ever again or you will be breaking rocks in Leavenworth for the next decade!!", and more, "Excuse me sir, but the Joint Chiefs would be most grateful if you could try to remember to lock those papers away before leaving the room".
What about the American Vice President?

It suggests to me that the US, at the very least, needs to get higher quality candidates for president than the last couple of inhabitants have been.

If their mum is still alive then a quick talk to mum is required.

As usual we really don't know anything more than what is being told to us. So that means we really don't know anything at all. It does seem very curious to me that in all my long life all of a sudden POTUS keeping sensitive documents has suddenly become a pressing problem. I could speculate all sorts of possiblilities:

1) The documents really aren't that sensitive or any more important than Hillary's emails, but the feds have now discovered they want more respect from their elected officials. So the dems played their card with Trump and now the Republicans are following suit with Biden.

2) Maybe Trump had super evil Spector intentions but Biden was only losing his mind.

3) Maybe both Trump and Biden were clean and honest, but there were other dirty players planting evidence with the exact purpose to get either of them in trouble.

4) Maybe (and this is most likely) the corruption in our elected officials has reached the point where the feds can no longer let this slide any longer.

I also find it extremely troubling our federal government has slowly and steadily become so paranoid about sensitive documents that it still refuses to share 60 year old documents from the Kennedy assassination. What the hell are they so afraid of not to let any of us know what they are doing?

As usual we really don't know anything more than what is being told to us. So that means we really don't know anything at all. It does seem very curious to me that in all my long life all of a sudden POTUS keeping sensitive documents has suddenly become a pressing problem. I could speculate all sorts of possiblilities:

1) The documents really aren't that sensitive or any more important than Hillary's emails, but the feds have now discovered they want more respect from their elected officials
Right off the bat, yes...this is absolutely speculation. The first part is also demonstrably false.

We have a photo (redacted, of course) of some of the documents/folders that were recovered from Trump's office/store room. Some were marked top secret, and some indicated they were highly classified and marked with TS/SCI - Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information.

It's daft of you to suggest "maybe they weren't that sensitive" when documents in the Trump case are literally marked "sensitive," and if to be believed (you obviously don't) are some of the most sensitive materials out there. I know you wanna "both sides" this, but you're really reaching here.

It seems to be the case that there is too much "trust" in the system for classified info. The difference with Trump is that the records people said he had documents and he refused to give them up. The other documents were apparently lost in the system and no one appeared to noticed it, which is an issue in itself.
I know from first hand experience how cavalier some civilian employees can be about printing classified gov documents, just to have a hardcopy on their desk because they prefer reading paper and making notes instead of having to look things up and check documents out for the secure server.

When I worked for the USAF as a contractor, I would see this all over the place. We were located on a military facility, so it was reasonably secure, but still violated protocol.

Lots of contractors took their laptops home regularly and worked from home too, even before COVID. Some of that is legit, and we used a secure government VPN to connect, but it's still a higher risk.

the corruption in our elected officials has reached the point where the feds can no longer let this slide any longer.
This.

Before Trump, the assumption was that whoever was POTUS would have the national interest in mind. They might have been feathering their own nests too, but when push came to shove, even the most crooked President was expected to put the country first.

Trump took that unwritten rule and shat all over it from a great height. Trump didn't care one iota about the USA; He cared about DJT, and only if the national interest happened to coincide with his personal interest did he act in the way that any previous President, of any party, would have been naturally and casually expected to behave.

It's no longer reasonable for federal agencies to assume that the President will act in good faith. It's no longer a given that, even if the President does something that is incidentally risky to national security (such as taking home documents that he really should not have taken home), he will not maliciously or negligently act in ways that risk putting that material into the hands of foreign agents.

1) The documents really aren't that sensitive or any more important than Hillary's emails, but the feds have now discovered they want more respect from their elected officials
Right off the bat, yes...this is absolutely speculation. The first part is also demonstrably false.

We have a photo (redacted, of course) of some of the documents/folders that were recovered from Trump's office/store room. Some were marked top secret, and some indicated they were highly classified and marked with TS/SCI - Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information.

It's daft of you to suggest "maybe they weren't that sensitive" when documents in the Trump case are literally marked "sensitive," and if to be believed (you obviously don't) are some of the most sensitive materials out there. I know you wanna "both sides" this, but you're really reaching here.
Not to mention this:

• Trump was warned in late 2021 by his former White House lawyer that it was unlawful to retain the documents, especially classified information;
  • Trump personally sorted through the documents in late 2021;
  • Trump’s personal knowledge and possession, access, and control of the documents is indicated by the quantity, content, and location of documents with classified markings (including intermingled with personal belongings) and by his admissions on Truth Social;
  • Trump repeatedly stated privately that the documents were his to possess and he was not willing to deliver them to the government;
  • Trump aides repeatedly tried to get him to return the documents to the government;
  • Trump was repeatedly put on notice by Archives and Justice Department that his retention of the documents was unlawful and a potential threat to national security;
  • Trump was apparently involved in obstructive acts of trying to conceal documents from the government after receiving a subpoena.

Curious article about US Government Classified Documents:

* Nobody knows how many millions of pages of government documents are classified

* 1,494 officials in 16 agencies have the authority to classify documents; of those, 671 officials have the power to stamp them Top Secret.

* historical documents that were long ago declassified by one agency are still declared classified—even Top Secret—by another agency.

* Documents marked Confidential are so innocuous that the National Archives’ ISOO report recommends abolishing the label altogether.

* Officials—especially those doing analysis of military policy, foreign affairs, and intelligence—feel a need to over-classify papers that they’ve written. Otherwise, their colleagues and superiors won’t read it.

The equivalent of grade inflation.

Officials—especially those doing analysis of military policy, foreign affairs, and intelligence—feel a need to over-classify papers that they’ve written. Otherwise, their colleagues and superiors won’t read it.
Dr R V Jones, who was Churchill's scientific advisor, says in his autobiography that if he sent anything to a senior officer that he felt was both important and urgent, he would follow up a day later with a message saying that the information had been shared in error, and that his department requested that it be immediately returned unread.

This technique almost invariably ensured that the document would be carefully scrutinised before being returned.

Back
Top Bottom