• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Climate Change(d)?

So? Why do you even care what Al Gore thinks of himself?

Al Gore is dangerously ignorant and a hypocrite and for some odd reason he carries a lot of weight in this "climate apocalypse" bullshit. He even opened the COP27 meeting. He stands there wagging his finger and scolding people about their sins against the climate.

It’s clear you brought up his name for a reason. And that reason is not relevant to actual climate science. So, it would seem you are more interested in political arguments than scientific ones.

A bit of both really.

So? Why do you even care what Al Gore thinks of himself?

Al Gore is dangerously ignorant and a hypocrite and for some odd reason he carries a lot of weight in this "climate apocalypse" bullshit.
He helped save us from those nudists that took over the planet.
He even opened the COP27 meeting. He stands there wagging his finger and scolding people about their sins against the climate.
Do you need a hug? Or are you just angry that he uses energy for his large home?
It’s clear you brought up his name for a reason. And that reason is not relevant to actual climate science. So, it would seem you are more interested in political arguments than scientific ones.
A bit of both really.
You aren't really making an argument politically or scientifically, so please don't fool yourself. You are just whining. And constantly telling us the weather in your portion of California.

I can't.

Almost 8,000 shootings in US cities in recent years were attributable to unseasonably warm temperatures, according to a new study. The researchers said the work suggested the climate crisis could be contributing to increased gun violence by pushing temperatures beyond the normal ranges. The scientists said the knowledge that unusually warm temperatures were linked to an increase in shooting incidents could enable community prevention measures to be targeted towards hotter days. “We saw a really consistent overall relationship between temperature and a higher risk of shootings,” said Dr Vivian Lyons, at the University of Washington, Seattle, who led the research. “There is a concern I have, after the study, that firearm-related violence will rise as climate change continues.”

Teh Gruaniad

Stubbed my big toe on the bedside table, fucking climate crisis.

A rapture like cult.

It is a catastrophic 66 degrees today.

I think behavior in Ca is more linked to the phase of the moon and alignment of the planets than weather.

In Detroit and NYC violent crime probably goes up in hot weather.

In the 60s a firenan uncle swore thngs got crazier during a full moon.

I can't.

Almost 8,000 shootings in US cities in recent years were attributable to unseasonably warm temperatures, according to a new study. The researchers said the work suggested the climate crisis could be contributing to increased gun violence by pushing temperatures beyond the normal ranges. The scientists said the knowledge that unusually warm temperatures were linked to an increase in shooting incidents could enable community prevention measures to be targeted towards hotter days. “We saw a really consistent overall relationship between temperature and a higher risk of shootings,” said Dr Vivian Lyons, at the University of Washington, Seattle, who led the research. “There is a concern I have, after the study, that firearm-related violence will rise as climate change continues.”

Teh Gruaniad

Stubbed my big toe on the bedside table, fucking climate crisis.

A rapture like cult.

It is a catastrophic 66 degrees today.
Warmer weather = people out more = more shootings.

W are having an ice storm and daytime temperatures in the teens, very unusal for us. I guess global warming is over.

W are having an ice storm and daytime temperatures in the teens, very unusual for us. I guess global warming is over.

It might seem that way. But fortunately IIDB has the precious climatologist T. Swizzle PhD who has assured us repeatedly that Santa Monica has special status as the climate bellwether. The bellwether is 62°F today and was 74°F last Sunday. In December! Thus we know, thanks to Dr. Swizzle, that the storm to the East is just an aberration.

It’s was a catastrophic 80f in the SFV yesterday. Had Christmas brunch out by the pool.

Oh the humanity.

It’s was a catastrophic 80f in the SFV yesterday. Had Christmas brunch out by the pool.

Oh the humanity.
Sometime back you falsely stated that all climate changes predictions stretching back decades were false. I provided the documentation that they were all true, and in fact somewhat understated. Were you planning to retract and apologize for your egregiously false claim?

I ma have spoken too soon. Now we are above average temperature and I am wearing a T shirt without the heat on.

I guess global warmiming is back.

I have TSwizzle on ignore.

Don't remember if I posted this before. A rely to an email I sent to UW climate science center.

Thanks for reaching out! Are you wondering about the heat released from human uses of energy, like power plants, industry, etc? If so, here’s a quick calculation of the effect of that compared wit h the increase in CO2 and other greenhouse gases.

The current primary energy usage worldwide is around 600 EJ/yr, which is a little less than 20 TW. All of this is eventually dissipated into heat.

The increased heat trapping from CO2 currently amounts to around 2.16 W/m2, which is around 1100 TW (over the 510 trillion square meters of Earth’s surface).

So, the heat generated by all energy usage worldwide is only about 2% of the current greenhouse effect due to the extra CO2 in the atmosphere.

Don't remember if I posted this before. A rely to an email I sent to UW climate science center.

You did post it; I confirmed the result with a back-of-the-envelope calculation.
(It is NOT that I mistrusted you or your professor. I just had an extra envelope and a few minutes' time.)

It does seem remarkable that when we get 3 Joules by burning gas, with only 1 Joule spent usefully in my electric heater, the Earth warms by another 100+ Joules due to the CO2 injected into the atmosphere.

Here's an excerpt from the earlier discussion.

What a waste of time. TSwizzle doesn't do facts. They'd destroy his mantra consisting of the word "cult".

Obviously I didn't do it for Mr. Swizzle. I did it for my own amusement — Maybe I was in a funny mood.

I was rather startled that the answer worked out to 5 Hiroshima bombs per second, exactly as in the headline.
If the use of "Hiroshimas" as an energy unit is politically incorrect, the power of the ocean's heat rise can also be expressed as 2.3·1039 electron-Volts per fortnight. I don't know how to calculate the power of right-wing ignorance. Is it in about the same ballpark?

Thanks for reaching out! Are you wondering about the heat released from human uses of energy, like power plants, industry, etc? If so, here’s a quick calculation of the effect of that compared wit h the increase in CO2 and other greenhouse gases.

The current primary energy usage worldwide is around 600 EJ/yr, which is a little less than 20 TW. All of this is eventually dissipated into heat.

The increased heat trapping from CO2 currently amounts to around 2.16 W/m2, which is around 1100 TW (over the 510 trillion square meters of Earth’s surface).

So, the heat generated by all energy usage worldwide is only about 2% of the current greenhouse effect due to the extra CO2 in the atmosphere.
Currently the amount of heat in the Venetian atmosphere caused by lifeforms is 0. That huge fusion reaction at the center of our solar system is the main power source in the area.

Damn speller checker. It didn't go all squiggly line on me... so I thought I was safe. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom