• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Climate Change(d)?

Maybe those in denial will face reality when they don't have access to water.

if Southern California is short of water, why does the state not build dams/reservoirs but throw billions of dollars at a failed high speed rail project and install bike lanes? These things have absolutely no impact on the weather.

Incidentally, it’s a catastrophic 63 degrees today.

if Southern California is short of water, why does the state not build dams/reservoirs but throw billions of dollars at a failed high speed rail project and install bike lanes? These things have absolutely no impact on the weather.

Dams and reservoirs do not make water. They simply catch what nature delivers.

And note that both are terrain dependent, you can't make one at a sane price if the terrain does not cooperate.

And note that both are terrain dependent, you can't make one at a sane price if the terrain does not cooperate.
There are spots in the state that have more or less ideal terrain for another resevoir, but often do not go forward due to environmental regulations, activists tying the cases up in court, etc. With the current drought situation, people seem to be getting more amenable to them. There is fairly serious talk about building a major resevoir in Colusa country, which will help things (in a few years). Also, some resevoirs can be made bigger by modifying the dams (such as Shasta), but progress is slow getting these started as well.

There are spots in the state that have more or less ideal terrain for another resevoir, but often do not go forward due to environmental regulations, activists tying the cases up in court, etc. With the current drought situation, people seem to be getting more amenable to them. There is fairly serious talk about building a major resevoir in Colusa country, which will help things (in a few years). Also, some resevoirs can be made bigger by modifying the dams (such as Shasta), but progress is slow getting these started as well.
Which does not address my point of them not making water.

Which does not address my point of them not making water.
I guess I assumed everyone with an IQ over 65 knew that. I'll give you the point though, I guess.

While the weather in So. Cal is pleasant, professional skiers take notice of winter related issues regarding our changed climate.
article said:
Overall World Cup winners Mikaela Shiffrin, Federica Brignone and Aleksander Aamodt Kilde are among nearly 200 athletes from multiple disciplines who have signed a letter addressed to the International Ski and Snowboard Federation demanding action over climate change.

The letter was delivered during the skiing world championships after warm weather and a lack of snow wiped out nearly a month of racing at the start of this season, with preseason training on melting European glaciers heading toward extinction and the impact of climate change on the schedule being seen even in January.
A number of events have been cancelled this season due to the issue of it being warm.

Oh noes!!111!!! The white privileged will suffer because ski season has been shortened?!!! Oh the humanity!!!

It is a catastrophic 60 degrees in Santa Monica.

It really is a religion.

Huh? I always thought water came out of a faucet. Ca does not have a water shortage problem. S Ca just isn't where where there is any water.

The PNW will need to build a wall around the Ca border to keep out those thirsty climate refugees.

In this swath of mountain range in the Washington Cascades east of Seattle, the climate crisis dealt the final blow to the Hinman Glacier, the largest in the region, according to Mauri Pelto, a glaciologist with Nichols College. It’s not just the Northern Cascades that’s losing ice. Researchers recently found that up to half of the planet’s glaciers could be lost by the end of the century, even if the world’s ambitious global climate targets, including phasing out fossil fuels, are met.

I'd have to look up where, there was a report of a yearly ice skating race in Europe that had to be moved because the lake no longer froze solid.

Oh noes!!111!!! The white privileged will suffer because ski season has been shortened?!!! Oh the humanity!!!

It really is a religion.
Ski season shortened means the winter averaged warmer than normal. It most definitely is relevant.

The point of the OP was to discuss the reality that the climate has changed. The impact on winter weather is very notable in Europe, as it is here. I think Minnesota has had their lows be consistently 10 to 15 degrees above average. They've had cold spells but it has been a "warm" winter. NE Ohio, we've consistently been 10 to 15 degrees above normal. The issue with the FIS having to deal with warmer winters isn't that poor white people can't ski, it is another sign that the climate is shifting, a common denial by some folk during their cycled argument on climate change. This shift is more notable regarding snow because of the freezing point of water. When averages go from below 32 to above it, it is a lot more noticeable. This isn't armageddon, it is just more evidence that the climate has changed enough that it is altering our habits, laws, schedules. Jebus, drilling borings off road these days is a pain in the ass due to the warm winter that bounces above and below freezing. Winter used to be easier to drill.
And the weather was gorgeous in So. Cal in 1977 and 1978 too, so that means the rest of the nation didn't endure the worst winters on record.

The issue with the FIS having to deal with warmer winters isn't that poor white people can't ski, it is another sign that the climate is shifting, a common denial by some folk during their cycled argument on climate change.

Nobody denies that climate changes. The privileged white people can either travel to other ski resorts (private jets anyone?) or find another hobby.

A little bit gloomy and cool today. CLIMATE CHANGE!!!!11!!!!!1111!!!!

For more than a decade, signs at Glacier National Park warned visitors that the glaciers would be gone by the year 2020 - now those signs are being changed. They were originally added to the park to reflect climate change predictions by the U.S. Geological Survey. Glacier National Park spokeswoman Gina Kerzman explained that the latest research shows shrinking of some glaciers, but in ways much more complex than what was predicted. Because of this, the park must update all signs around the park which state that all glaciers will be melted by 2020.

News

This has been the warmest February that I remember. The normal high where I live, for this time of year, is about 59 F, but we are going to be in the low to high 70s starting on Tuesday and into next week. Other then the weekend, when that weird polar blast affected most of the country, the entire winter has been rather mild. Just sayin'.

And it was strange seeing daffodils, Japanese Cherry trees, forsythia and a few other things blooming in late January and February. Dogwood trees used to bloom in mid April, but over the past several years, they've been blooming in mid March. But, of course that's not evidence that the planet is warming. /s

It's people in poor countries that will suffer the most from the changing climate, largely due to the habits of those of us in the Western world. And, I hate to say it , but we Americans are the worst contributors to this mess, regardless if we want to admit it or not.

And what happened to our culture that so many Americans insist on driving huge pick up trucks and/or SUVs. The damn things, not only use a lot more gasoline, they cause a lot more damage when they are in an accident. I don't get it.

I'm not looking forward to this summer, if the spring was an indication of what the summer will be like.

The issue with the FIS having to deal with warmer winters isn't that poor white people can't ski, it is another sign that the climate is shifting, a common denial by some folk during their cycled argument on climate change.

Nobody denies that climate changes
Why do you believe that the climate changes?

Why do you believe the climate shouldn’t change?
You should answer first but I will answer that I don’t believe the climate shouldn’t change. I have never stated that so it’s a silly question for me.

So, you believe it changes because you have no reason to believe it doesn’t. Is that your answer? Just the basic idea that anything that can change likely does? I don’t want to put words in your mouth, I’d rather hear your answer. You said you don’t deny (and further that *nobody* denies) that climate changes. I’m simply interested in why you believe that.

Do you believe that human activity has not had an effect on climate change?

That becomes a trap. Their "argument" is cyclical.

No climate change.
Of course there is climate change but we aren't responsible.
Of course we have some limited responsibility, but there isn't much we can do and Al Gore is a fraud.
Then whip it back to No climate change.

That becomes a trap. Their "argument" is cyclical.

No climate change.
Of course there is climate change but we aren't responsible.
Of course we have some limited responsibility, but there isn't much we can do and Al Gore is a fraud.
Then whip it back to No climate change.
Ah, yes, the Orobouros of climate denial.

Spiro Agnew today might call climate activists "Nattering nabobs of negativity"

Back
Top Bottom