• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Climate Change(d)?

Bangkok is called "Venice of the East" if that helps. Allegedly has Venuses also.

PS: Thanks for the like, bilby. I mostly post from my broken laptop. But the above was posted via Samsung while eating at a place supposedly[*] called Aussie Sports Bar. (I tried Fettucine with meat balls or something like that — should have stuck with the usual tuna sandwich.)

Newsom catches the ire of the eco loons;

Facing a budget shortfall, California’s Governor Gavin Newsom proposed billions of dollars in cuts to climate spending – slashing subsidies for electric vehicles, funding for clean energy, wildfire prevention and programs to help low income residents cope with extreme weather. Facing a potential $22.5bn budget deficit, Newsom has suggested pulling back $3bn to address inflation and $750m to pay down unemployment insurance debt. But the bulk of his spending cuts slash programs to address the climate crisis and transportation. The Democratic governor’s announcement drew sharp criticism from environmentalists.

Teh Gruaniad

This snippet is LOL hilarious;

And for communities dealing with legacies of environmental racism, being de-prioritized in the budget can feel “like an extra blow”, they added.

:hysterical:

What do you call sink holes swallowing cars, mud slides, and floods in California?

A good start

I spend a lot of time on-line, but little of that reading news. But I'm vaguely aware that the U.S. has been attacked by storms, most recently in California. What's the summary? Are these storms record-setting?

I read that the Capitola wharf was severely damaged. This made the storms personal for me! Decades ago I rented a home on a cliff near the Capitola Wharf and Village and made the short walk there often. (I usually visited Mr. Toot's Coffeehouse rather than the liquor-serving venues.) We were kicked out of the rental home when the owner got a buy offer in the high six figures. I wonder if the buyer knew that the cliff erodes an average of one foot per year. By now the front door may open onto the cliff's edge!

The west coast storms are the result of 'atmospheric rivers'. A river of warm mositure streming from around Hawaii.

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, “the Pineapple Express is a narrow region of atmospheric moisture that builds up in the tropical Pacific.” The atmospheric moisture is carried from the tropics, closer to the equator, up to northern latitudes by what is called an atmospheric river.6 days ago

Atmospheric rivers are large, narrow sections of the Earth’s atmosphere that carry moisture from the Earth’s tropics near the equator to the poles. On average, the Earth has four to five active atmospheric rivers at any time. They carry massive amounts of moisture. Each moves the equivalent of the liquid water that flows through the mouth of the Amazon River. When they reach land, atmospheric rivers release this moisture, producing heavy snow and rain.

The California rain has reduced regions in severe drought. Plus the added snow packs.

We ghad a lot of rain here from the same system.

Oh my goodness, Al Gore goes on an unhinged rant about "boiling oceans";

Former Vice President Al Gore gave an 'impassioned' and 'unhinged' speech about climate change while on stage at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. The eco-warrior warned the crowd of 'rain bombs' and boiling oceans while discussing the concerns facing Earth if drastic changes aren't made to address the environmental concerns. The video of his speech has ignited criticism online from those claiming the former politician has been 'wrong about everything' and calling him a 'shill.'

Daily Mail

The video is quite something.

The climate apocalypse really is a religion and Al Gore is the Billy Graham of this rapture like cult.

I don't think the Daily Mail has much room to talk, having themselves been both wrong about everything, and obvious shills.

But accusing the mirror is pretty much their schtick, so ultimately it's just the same old same old. Boring as well as stupid; Predictable as well as duplicitous.

Why anyone still bothers to look at their nonsensical rag is beyond me.

Al Gore is actually worse than a televangelist;

Warning the world that it is on the brink of disaster has been lucrative for Al Gore. His wild prediction at Davos that Earth faces 'rain bombs' and 'boiling oceans' is just his latest in decades of climate alarmism. At the same time, the former VP has been at the forefront of green technology investment that has seen his wealth balloon to an estimated $330 million.
the Tennessee-native was making millions while lecturing the world on how humanity was losing the war against climate change.
He told the World Economic Forum in 2020: 'This is Thermopylae. This is Agincourt. This is Dunkirk. This is the Battle of the Bulge. This is 9/11. We have to rise to the occasion.'

Daily Mail

A fucking charlatan.

He never said "boiling oceans", and even the Daily Mail didn't quote him saying "boiling oceans". They noted "boiling" oceans... specifically because he wasn't saying the oceans are boiling, it was a metaphor for events like the atmospheric "river".
Al Gore said:
That’s what’s boiling the oceans, creating these atmospheric rivers, and the rain bombs, and sucking the moisture out of the land, and creating the droughts, and melting the ice, and raising the sea level, and causing these waves of climate refugees!

The daughter of the nonce formerly known as prince is raising her kid to become a climate activist;

Princess Eugenie has said she wants her son to be a climate change activist from 'aged two' and has stopped using plastic at home. She said: 'My son's going to be an activist from two years old, which is in a couple of days. Everything is for them, right? Every decision we now make has to be about how August is going to be able to live his life.'

Daily Mail

Excellent, another royal freeloader to lecture and scold the plebs about climate. And she is knocked up again. Surely if she really believed the dire peril the planet is in she would not be popping out kids.

Maybe those in denial will face reality when they don't have access to water. I'm gifting a very concerning article about this issue. I encourage you all to read the entire linked article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/27/...mht99qtJD3V_vN7JBF-s67f_0QC1fw&smid=share-url

WASHINGTON — The seven states that rely on water from the shrinking Colorado River are unlikely to agree to voluntarily make deep reductions in their water use, negotiators say, which would force the federal government to impose cuts for the first time in the water supply for 40 million Americans.

The Interior Department had asked the states to voluntarily come up with a plan by Jan. 31 to collectively cut the amount of water they draw from the Colorado. The demand for those cuts, on a scale without parallel in American history, was prompted by precipitous declines in Lake Mead and Lake Powell, which provide water and electricity for Arizona, Nevada and Southern California. Drought, climate change and population growth have caused water levels in the lakes to plummet.

“Think of the Colorado River Basin as a slow-motion disaster,” said Kevin Moran, who directs state and federal water policy advocacy at the Environmental Defense Fund. “We’re really at a moment of reckoning.”

The crisis over the Colorado River is the latest example of how climate change is overwhelming the foundations of American life — not only physical infrastructure, like dams and reservoirs, but also the legal underpinnings that have made those systems work.

A century’s worth of laws, which assign different priorities to Colorado River users based on how long they’ve used the water, is facing off against a competing philosophy that says, as the climate changes, water cuts should be apportioned based on what’s practical.

The outcome of that dispute will shape the future of the southwestern United States.

“We’re using more water than nature is going to provide,” said Eric Kuhn, who worked on previous water agreements as general manager for the Colorado River Water Conservation District. “Someone is going to have to cut back very significantly.”

As a former County Commissioner (who also happens to be a rancher) told me long ago, "I'd rather be upstream with a shovel than downstream with a decree."

He never said "boiling oceans", and even the Daily Mail didn't quote him saying "boiling oceans". They noted "boiling" oceans... specifically because he wasn't saying the oceans are boiling, it was a metaphor for events like the atmospheric "river".
Al Gore said:
That’s what’s boiling the oceans, creating these atmospheric rivers, and the rain bombs, and sucking the moisture out of the land, and creating the droughts, and melting the ice, and raising the sea level, and causing these waves of climate refugees!

While some dictionaries require bubbles for "boiling", Google links to two dictionaries with definitions like "to boil: To change from a liquid to a vapor by the application of heat. Global warming is certainly causing some boiling in the oceans by this definition.

[removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Elixir said:
As a former County Commissioner (who also happens to be a rancher) told me long ago, "I'd rather be upstream with a shovel than downstream with a decree."

Maybe those in denial will face reality when they don't have access to water.
WASHINGTON — The seven states that rely on water from the shrinking Colorado River are unlikely to agree to voluntarily make deep reductions in their water use...
Historical note:
Here in the Kingdom we had the opposite problem during the Great Flood of 2011. Armed men were opening and closing various flood-gates to keep the water AWAY from their districts and provinces.

I think the Army sent several platoons of infantry to guard the Chao Phraya Dam itself. Had its flood-gate been opened some of the towns and rice fields in Central Thailand might have been saved but the Capital City itself would have become navigable only by boats.

How about the recent heavy rainfall in California? Will most of that water rush uselessly to the ocean, or will it offer a reprieve for California's drought problems?

Last edited:
Will most of that water rush uselessly to the ocean, or will it offer a reprieve for California's drought problems?
Usually drought-stricken soil can’t handle the moisture, so flooding does little to provide relief. 😐
But it can still replenish some reservoirs for at least some temporary reprieve.

Back
Top Bottom