• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Climate Change(d)?

Of course, China's emissions are really just First World emissions because we all out sourced our production there. The idea China is polluting too much and that isn't fair has got to be one of the least honest arguments out there.

It's very relevant.

1) Pollution controls in the US will be nowhere near as effective as they would appear to be because much of it gets displaced rather than eliminated. (There's some pretty nasty issues with Freon from China these days.)

2) They generally emit more per product than if it were made here.

Combine these and you could actually have a situation where US pollution controls increase emissions.

A climate agreement that doesn't have the whole world signing in on is basically worthless. Likewise, an agreement without a meaningful enforcement mechanism is basically worthless. What we have seen so far are useless agreements to quiet the rabble, not to take meaningful action.

For 2000 yars Chrtians have been preaching end times and the world will end next week. Chrtians are an end time cult.
Very similar to your climate apocalypse religion.
God destroyed the wicked hamans with a flood.

I have it on good authority wildfires in Ca are god's punishment for homosexuals.

Nancy said Mother Earth was angry.

Hilarious Steve.
You are unable to tell science from pseudo science, and the difference between metaphor and literal. Pelosi was undoubtedly making metaphor.

The earth is a living interactive ecosystem of which we are a part. We take in oxygen from plants and plants take in our carbon dioxide. This is high school biology. Wee not independent and separate from the ecosystem. bvious examples droughts, floods, and high heat.

It is the Christian nonsense from Genesis where their alleged god says the Earth is there for humans to consume ,that is part o the problem. Christian conservatives think they are above all other things and can do what they want without consequnces.

I knew a Chrtian who thought when the Erath is consumed god will trasport the fiathfill to a new panet.

I knew a Christian who burned waste motor oil for heat and did not pay attention to diet because god would take care of him.

It is the Christian cult that hinders dealing with environmental issues.

You are unable to tell science from pseudo science, and the difference between metaphor and literal. Pelosi was undoubtedly making metaphor.
That’s the point Steve, your apocalyptic proclamations are riddled with religious imagery and terminology. “Climate crisis” truly is a religion. I’ve pointed out the similarities many times.

The earth is a living interactive ecosystem of which we are a part. We take in oxygen from plants and plants take in our carbon dioxide. This is high school biology. Wee not independent and separate from the ecosystem. bvious examples droughts, floods, and high heat.
Even these snippets are sermons from the pulpit. You really are all in aren’t you?

It is the Christian nonsense from Genesis where their alleged god says the Earth is there for humans to consume ,that is part o the problem. Christian conservatives think they are above all other things and can do what they want without consequnces.

I knew a Chrtian who thought when the Erath is consumed god will trasport the fiathfill to a new panet.

I knew a Christian who burned waste motor oil for heat and did not pay attention to diet because god would take care of him.

Yes, the out group are heretics, they don’t believe in the one true religion, the correct religion.

Honestly, what a load of claptrap you come out with.

Those who do not accept well founded facts on widely observable verifiable data that is collected in parallel from all over the world and yielding the same conclusions are not "heretics" they are "irresponsible, destructive idiots".

I'm not going to do things JUST to make them cry, but I'm not going to be upset when they do, when they lose access to their destructive irresponsible behaviors. Nor should anyone be so upset that their feeders are hurt over not being allowed to continue to hang on to that book of matches as they walk into the library with a t-shirt with a burning book pictured upon it.

Rather, even they should be upset at themselves for walking into a library with a book of matches and the desire to put torch to things.

There's simply no justification for being an asshole, and while we all know assholes will howl with the fury of a foul tornado over being told "no", it is a lesson they must either learn, or be put into a position where they are unable to effectively rebel against this negation of their will.

Let's Go Brandon!
That’s the point Steve, your apocalyptic proclamations are riddled with religious imagery and terminology. “Climate crisis” truly is a religion. I’ve pointed out the similarities many times.
Have you? Cite? I do recall your incessant repetition of some phrase ("Ruptured Psych-dolt"?) but the only substantive posts on climate change I recall from you are occasional weather reports from Santa Monica.

Yes, the out group are heretics, they don’t believe in the one true religion, the correct religion.

Your God's bigger than Steve's God? Steve goes with Science. Who rocks your socks? Yahweh? Błędnica? Beelzebub? Donald Trump?

*sigh* Dude, I was never claiming to be mathematically accurate regarding Calfornia's population decline to S. Dakota level! It was intended to be an exaggeration all along (see bolded above)! When you were a kid and your mom said, "Politesse, I must have told you a thousand times to clean your room" did you give her a mathematical analysis of why she was wrong? And I don't know why you are going on about Texas and Florida. We were tallking about California.

Its not just cars that are experiencing electric mandates. The process of making housing all electric is on a roll, at least in the South Bay:

Los Altos council votes to mandate all-electric ordinance for new buildings

Mountain View City Council backs natural gas ban for all new homes

San Jose adopts historic natural gas ban — but with a controversial exemption San Jose joins San Francisco, Berkeley and now Oakland with similar bans

I'm sure more city bans are coming...
And this isn't bad. The problem is that we are lagging in the alternate to fossil fuel for the electricity. Granted, it makes sense to go electric pump for heating and cooling in California in lieu of natural gas.
What's going to happen in the winter? Only electric available for heating, but solar kind of sucks in the winter.
Sucks more at night regardless the time of year.
WTF? This is going to be an epic fail of biblical proportions.
Yes and no? Propping up nuclear plants isn't exactly cheap and there needs to be a demand for them before they'll get built. Reducing natural gas usage (and piping that to Europe for sale) would help increase the demand for large scale alternatives for electricity, which at the moment is limited to exclusively nuclear.

In theory, all of this would be better via a comprehensive national energy plan, where our demand for electricity needs to be dealt with via efficiency and green energy sources, primarily water and nuclear. And we aren't building out dams these days. Of course, people would just shit on that too and say it should all be local decisions.

And then of course, America will choke on the price of going nuclear... and some will campaign on global warming being less expensive way to go.
Yeah, I got no particular love for natural gas. Its not like I have stock options in gas companies. My main beef with eliminating it cold turkey is that it seems they are ignoring the need to beef up the electric grid to compensate for the lack of gas. As it is, California's electric grid is being managed largely by PG&E who recently filed for bankruptcy and has been held legally responsible for many of the wildfires and subsequent lives lost. And yet, we will be putting considerably more demand on these incompetent ninnies going forward.

One other thing to note is that many people in California are installing natural gas powered electric generators to keep the power going during summer blackouts. With natural gas getting phased out, this is not an option for a mandated all electric home. I guess you have to buy a little smoky gasoline powered portable generator, if you want to keep your food cold, water heated, the lights on and your EV charged. And when you run out of gasoline, I guess you strap a few gas cans on your bicycle and head to the gas station. And what do you do if you live in an all electric multistory apartment or condo? Put the generator out on the balcony, I guess. Pathetic. Or move in with friends or relatives who live in older "less green" houses with NG. Or move out of the state like lots are doing.

Even these snippets are sermons from the pulpit. You really are all in aren’t you?

There have been many apocalypses. Some big some small. St Helens was small. The Indian Ocean Tsunami caused by an ocean earthquake was bigger. The Yucatan asteroid strike was extinction level. The Tunguska event was bigger still.

Human civilization has exhausted resources in the past. The difference is today it is global with bilious of people. Today there is no place else to go.

Again no one is saying it is the 'end of the world'. Except maybe the extremists' hyperbole. The flip side of the apocalyptic hyperbole is the conservative nothing is wrong business as usual attitude. This in the face of rising environment catastrophe. Conservatives painted themselves onto a corner, they can't just do a 180 politically and acknowledge what is obvious.

BTH your imersonation of Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity is very good, but I wouldn't quit my day job f I were you.

For the record I am not what you would call a tree hugger. I am conditioned by my work to look at reality pragmattcly and as a system of mass and energy. Contrary to the Christian Genesis view that we are above or separate from the ecosystem we are part of reality.. Like I said you take in O2 from plants and plants take in CO2 from you. It is that simple. We screw up the ecosystem and eventually we screw ourselves. You might call it a Shakespearean tragedy. In the midst of great triumph a fatal self destructive flaw. Us humans posses a fatal tendency to self destructive behavior. Drugs, alcohol, tobacco, overeating, and excessive material consumption.

The Tswzzler wpuld make a great Batman arch villian.

The point is most of the surface isn't soil in the first place, it's rock. Rocks don't absorb water whether they are baked or not.
They do if they are fractured. And if you are at all familiar with the geology of the western US, you would know that the surficial rocks are extremely fractured even at shallow depth.

I realize at one point it probably was just rock, but what I'm saying is that the stuff that could absorb water usually departs unless sufficiently shielded by surface rock. It eroded from soil to cobblestone, not from rock to cobblestone.
Depends on whether the cobbles originated from sedimentary or igneous rock, i.e. whether the cobbles (which is technical description for soils having a certain range of grain sizes) resulted from the erosion of sedimetary rocks like sandstone (rocks which are formed from the application of sustained pressure on layers of buried soils), or from massive igneous rock (rocks formed from the cooling of magma). And, the rate at which loose soils are deposited is a function of their grain size - the larger the particle size, the more quickly it settles to the bottom.

Have you? Cite? I do recall your incessant repetition of some phrase ("Ruptured Psych-dolt"?) but the only substantive posts on climate change I recall from you are occasional weather reports from Santa Monica.
The strongly faithful are incapable of comprehending blasphemy.

Depends on whether the cobbles originated from sedimentary or igneous rock, i.e. whether the cobbles (which is technical description for soils having a certain range of grain sizes) resulted from the erosion of sedimetary rocks like sandstone (rocks which are formed from the application of sustained pressure on layers of buried soils), or from massive igneous rock (rocks formed from the cooling of magma). And, the rate at which loose soils are deposited is a function of their grain size - the larger the particle size, the more quickly it settles to the bottom.
There's very little igneous rock around here, the lowlands are mostly sandstone, the mountains are mostly limestone.

No. They are saying the climate is changing(be it man made or not)and we must change the way we live to adapt to that change.
They (MSM, celebrities, folks on here) are hysterically screaming that the world is ending, the planet is unsustainable blah blah blah “we” only have six months to avoid the end of times rapture if we don’t mend our ways.

No. They are saying the climate is changing(be it man made or not)and we must change the way we live to adapt to that change.
They (MSM, celebrities, folks on here) are hysterically screaming that the world is ending, the planet is unsustainable blah blah blah “we” only have six months to avoid the end of times rapture if we don’t mend our ways.
Pure bovine scat!

Pure bovine scat!

I'd like cites please. BOTH for the hysterical screaming about rapture* and for the species of scat origin. (From where I smell it could be equine or even hominine scat.)

* - It's the Ilk that believes in the Rapture that doesn't care about climate change: Catastrophe is all part of Jesus' (or Trump's?) schedule for the Rapture.

Back
Top Bottom