• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Colorado club shooter is non-binary, CNN repeatedly misgenders them.

DON'T ADAPT!! These people (or any people) have no right to take an established word, change it to their own definition. Why bend over to their wants when it is wrong. There is no such thing as "non-binary" and one cannot change their own sex. Those who say otherwise are liars and/or living in their own delusions. They (the correct plural meaning of the word) have no right to make the rest of us join in their delusions.

they​

(ðeɪ)

pron.pl. poss. their theirs, obj. them.
nominative plural of he, she, and it.
2. people in general: They say he's rich.
3. (used with an indefinite singular antecedent in place of the definite masculine he or the definite feminine she): Whoever is of voting age, whether they are interested in politics or not, should vote.
Nobody's changing the definition.

Consider the example I used a while back:

"Somebody broke into the store. They are stealing the apples."

One person. The correct pronoun is "they".

(Yeah, apples are a pretty stupid thing to steal from a store, but there were previous examples with apples.)

DON'T ADAPT!! These people (or any people) have no right to take an established word, change it to their own definition. Why bend over to their wants when it is wrong. There is no such thing as "non-binary" and one cannot change their own sex. Those who say otherwise are liars and/or living in their own delusions. They (the correct plural meaning of the word) have no right to make the rest of us join in their delusions.

they​

(ðeɪ)

3. (used with an indefinite singular antecedent in place of the definite masculine he or the definite feminine she): Whoever is of voting age, whether they are interested in politics or not, should vote.

(Yeah, apples are a pretty stupid thing to steal from a store, but there were previous examples with apples.)
"They" is only used when the sex of the person is unknown.

"Someone left their laptop in the meeting room"

"Jenny left her laptop in the meeting room"

they​

(ðeɪ)

No, they is also used when the gender is irrelevant.

When someone borrows the shovel, they should return it to the garage.

I don't really understand why there is this fixation on how English addresses gender. There are many, many languages, some of which assign gender to inanimate objects, some of which assign no gender at all.

they​

(ðeɪ)

That's simply another case of unknown sex. We don't know who is going to borrow the shovel.

I don't really understand why there is this fixation on how English addresses gender.
There'd be no 'fixation' at all if people were not using the force of the State to compel speech from others based around pronouns, which is something my own jurisdiction is doing.

There are many, many languages, some of which assign gender to inanimate objects, some of which assign no gender at all.
Correct. Most of English is not gendered.

they​

(ðeɪ)

No, "they" is used when the gender of the person is unknown OR when the gender of the person is not covered by "he" or "she", OR when the speaker does not wish to assume gender or anything to do with sexual differentiation.

To demand that "They" ONLY be used when the sex of the person is unknown is an unreasonable demand of speakers of a living language.

You are not the god of language.

they​

(ðeɪ)

No, "they" is used when the gender of the person is unknown OR when the gender of the person is not covered by "he" or "she", OR when the speaker does not wish to assume gender or anything to do with sexual differentiation.

To demand that "They" ONLY be used when the sex of the person is unknown is an unreasonable demand of speakers of a living language.

You dont have the right to make me learn a new definition of a word which does not need or should need a definition. If we submit to this, then we submit that this is natural and normal and should be accepted. This is the issue. Another issue is that in the past five years, there has been so many stupid, unneeded words added to the language. Everything has to have a "term".

You are also not the god of language either.

If there were a god of the English language then people wouldn’t be allowed to say “anxious” when they mean “eager”, “choice” when they mean “option”, “myself” when they mean “me”, and “me” when they mean “I”.

I don’t believe there are rules to the English language, only conventions. These semantic arguments don’t really have traction as I’m sure there are words you use the definitions of which have changed over the years and someone from a bygone generation would have just as much issue with your usage as you are having with this.

they​

(ðeɪ)

That's simply another case of unknown sex. We don't know who is going to borrow the shovel.

I don't really understand why there is this fixation on how English addresses gender.
There'd be no 'fixation' at all if people were not using the force of the State to compel speech from others based around pronouns, which is something my own jurisdiction is doing.

There are many, many languages, some of which assign gender to inanimate objects, some of which assign no gender at all.
Correct. Most of English is not gendered.
No: It simply does not matter WHO borrows the shovel; THEY should return it. Could be any gender and more than one person. Doesn't matter.

I see that you have an issue with how Australia handles such things. OK. But there is no reason that I can see to foist the same baggage on other countries.

they​

(ðeɪ)

You dont have the right to make me learn a new definition of a word which does not need or should need a definition.
You have offered no good reason to date why the "new" (really, quite old) usage is unneeded.

It offers a way to discuss those who wish to be identified, or who the speaker wishes to identify, as having ambiguous gender without respect to their genitals.

Whether others find need of that and avail themselves of it is not within your control.

If we submit to this, then we submit that this is natural and normal and should be accepted.
Is it not to be normal to socially address others, without respect to their genitals?

Another issue is that in the past five years, there has been so many stupid, unneeded words added to the language. Everything has to have a "term".
What? Would you rather the year be alternate 1984, and there total of terms be reduced as per newspeak, to prevent discussion of inconvenient facts?

Its still my right to determine how I use language, and my responsibility to accept how the rules of the places I go apply to that use.

Here, many accept that pronouns apply to gender, and the rules of this place expect the polity of that request to be honored if made. If you don't want to honor it, I suggest perhaps a thread in private feedback asking for an option that may be agnostic to gender, but that option, as it happens is...

they​

3. (used with an indefinite singular antecedent in place of the definite masculine he or the definite feminine she)

they​

(ðeɪ)

So if someone has disclosed their gender to you, use the appropriate pronoun. That includes "they", if that's what they prefer. There's no reason to act like a toddler here, you're more than capable of learning, and using, three pronouns.

they​

(ðeɪ)

You dont have the right to make me learn a new definition of a word which does not need or should need a definition. If we submit to this, then we submit that this is natural and normal and should be accepted. This is the issue. Another issue is that in the past five years, there has been so many stupid, unneeded words added to the language. Everything has to have a "term".

No one has "right" to "make you" learn anything, nor has anyone done so. You're ignorant by choice and free to be so, but I must confess I have never seen the appeal of chosen ignorance on any topic. Why are some people so keen to stop learning at age eight, and spend the rest of their life bitching that things are no longer like their nostalgia-fueled memories of childhood anymore? The world changes. There is no virtue at all in refusing to change with it.

they​

(ðeɪ)

No one has "right" to "make you" learn anything, nor has anyone done so. You're ignorant by choice and free to be so, but I must confess I have never seen the appeal of chosen ignorance on any topic. Why are some people so keen to stop learning at age eight, and spend the rest of their life bitching that things are no longer like their nostalgia-fueled memories of childhood anymore? The world changes. There is no virtue at all in refusing to change with it.
I am ignorant? Ignorance is thinking that gender and sex are somehow fluid. Thats ignorance. Arrogance is to change language and definitions to meet your narrow Worldview. The pretentiousness of the "woke" on this board to call the rest of us who dont bend over to your insane, unscientific ideology of nonsense, ignorant is beyond the pale.

Trust me, you wont be fine with it when your child comes home and wants a sex change operation. Then we will see hypocricy in full flower.

they​

(ðeɪ)

Jebus H. Christ. Calling others ignorant because they refuse to indulge your narcissism. Fuck that.

Trust me, you wont be fine with it when your child comes home and wants a sex change operation. Then we will see hypocricy in full flower.

I really won't care. Not everything is about you and your personal genetics. I've met a sea of people disappointingly similar to you.

Is the full extent of your interactions in this place going to be limited to whinges over how you don't want to be expected to use the anodyne they, despite recognizing the anodyne they as a valid use?

I am ignorant? Ignorance is thinking that gender and sex are somehow fluid. Thats ignorance. Arrogance is to change language and definitions to meet your narrow Worldview.
:D
The pretentiousness of the "woke" on this board to call the rest of us who dont bend over to your insane, unscientific ideology of nonsense, ignorant is beyond the pale.
I don't hear voices or sounds from no where. I don't see hallucinations nor suffer from delusions (en masse). Therefore there is no such thing as schizophrenia. Man, this is awesome! What else can I write off because I don't personally experience it? Pretty certain I can write off bipolar disorder as well.

Jebus H. Christ. Calling others ignorant because they refuse to indulge your narcissism. Fuck that.
You misspelled "accept" and "existence".

They're being called ignorant because they don't understand this basic fact. Language usage changes to fit changing society and circumstances. The rest of us don't feel constrained by their clinging to the language norms they're accustomed to from the olden days.
Tom

They're being called ignorant because they don't understand this basic fact. Language usage changes to fit changing society and circumstances. The rest of us don't feel constrained by their clinging to the language norms they're accustomed to from the olden days.
Tom
They don't like being called "they", they identify as "Let's Go Brandon".

Back
Top Bottom