• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Come to the Holiday Party! Except for White People

To me the OP smells like hypocritical whataboutism nonsense.
Criticizing the "woke" left about their misguided racial policies is not "whataboutism" but is in fact justified.
Why should this discriminatory party not be criticized?
Rather like people who complain, "We straight white Christian males are the only people it's okay to discriminate against!"
It is pretty clear that it is considered ok to discriminate against whites (as well as men, although not in this case) and moreover that it some circles such discrimination is considered not only ok but also laudable and "progressive".
That's the part of this topic I find worth discussing.
Then do so. I for one think such discrimination is regressive and not ok. What do you think?

Without details of why this might be a problem, sounds a lot like people complaining about 'Black History Month', saying why isn't there a white history month, ignoring that pretty much all of history taught in the country centers around white people.
Maybe it did 100 years ago, but not today. BHM may have had some utility when it first appeared, and even then it was just a band aid, but these days it's just an exercise in segregating history. Same goes for so-called HBCUs. Necessary when they were founded, but these days they just feed racial separation.
Or maybe like a meme that I can't find now where group A is large and excludes group B, so group B creates a space for themselves, and group A complains that they are not included and forces their way into the new space.
What even are you babbling about? Non-white elected officials are not excluded anywhere in Boston. There is no justification for excluding white people.
Not only are they not excluded, they are thriving....everywhere. Look at the ethnic background of the mayors of some major, well known US cities:

San Francisco: black female
Los Angeles: black female
Chicago: black male
Boston: Asian female
New York City: black male
Atlanta: black male
Baltimore: black male
Seattle: black/asian male
Houston: black male
St. Louis: black female
New Orleans: black female

Translation: a non-binding sample curriculum suggested some ways math education might incorporate ethnic studies into the existing (and rigorous) standard for math outcomes in secondary education.
Why should "ethnic studies" be part of the math curriculum? Even if taught neutrally, they have nothing to do with math.
And it is quite certain "ethnic studies" will not be presented neutrally.

As to "rigorous standards", the Dems ruling California (and other fauxgressive places) do not even want to offer more advanced math classes (like algebra in middle school). Because one way to achieve "equity" is to bring down every student the lowest common denominator (so to speak).
California State Guidelines Discourage Schools From Offering Advanced Middle School Math

I probably heard about Mr. Beast on Bill Maher, who despite not personally liking these days, I still enjoy watching his show and listening to some of the diverse viewpoints which don't always agree with my own. I think it's important to listen and read the opinions of those who see things from a different perspective.
Why do you think I hang out here so much ...
NY Times said:
Sometimes Black students must be protected not only from words, but words that sound like other words. In 2020, Greg Patton was suspended from teaching a class in communications at the University of Southern California. The reason was that one of his lectures included noting that in Mandarin, a hesitation term is “nèi ge,” which means “that …” and has nothing to do, of course, with the N-word. Several Black students said they felt injured by experiencing this word in the class.
Reminds of Jonah Ryan (from Veep) referring to the "African-American nation of N-word" when talking about Niger.
But seriously, even worse than students complaining about these picoaggressions is that the universities are taking their complaints seriously.
I have no idea why the above showed up in large print. :oops:
You somehow put a heading tag on it.

No Asians?
Mexicans?
Irish?
e9nCSK.gif

I for one think such discrimination is regressive and not ok. What do you think?
Well, other posters like Politesse, have agreed with me, it's problematic. The optics are terrible.

But that's it. Otherwise, it's unimportant. It's a somewhat private party. It's got an exclusive guest list. If the mayor were hosting a "Christian Prayer Breakfast", like Presidents have been doing for ages, I wouldn't consider that important either.

It's the pearl clutching response.
Tom

I probably heard about Mr. Beast on Bill Maher, who despite not personally liking these days, I still enjoy watching his show and listening to some of the diverse viewpoints which don't always agree with my own. I think it's important to listen and read the opinions of those who see things from a different perspective.
NY Times said:
Sometimes Black students must be protected not only from words, but words that sound like other words. In 2020, Greg Patton was suspended from teaching a class in communications at the University of Southern California. The reason was that one of his lectures included noting that in Mandarin, a hesitation term is “nèi ge,” which means “that …” and has nothing to do, of course, with the N-word. Several Black students said they felt injured by experiencing this word in the class.
Reminds of Jonah Ryan (from Veep) referring to the "African-American nation of N-word" when talking about Niger.
I have no idea why the above showed up in large print. :oops:
You somehow put a heading tag on it.
Yeah. I probably did. I freely admit that I don't always know what I'm doing when I'm online, so I must have accidentally hit something without realizing it.

That's a good one Derec. And all this time, I thought you just enjoyed being annoying. ;)

Well, other posters like Politesse, have agreed with me, it's problematic. The optics are terrible.
I disagree it's just the optics that are terrible. The optics merely reflect the substance, which is equally as horrible.
But that's it. Otherwise, it's unimportant. It's a somewhat private party.
It's not a "private party". It's organized by the City of Boston.
And even if it was a "private party", it's not ok for a mayor to discriminate like that. Over a decade ago, people got in trouble not too far from here for organizing a private (i.e. not school sanctioned) whites only prom. If it's not ok for for some yokels in rural Georgia, it should not be ok for the mayor of Boston.
Btw, we need a parody of those "your cousin from Boston" Sam Adams ads about Wu and her woke idiocy.
It's got an exclusive guest list. If the mayor were hosting a "Christian Prayer Breakfast", like Presidents have been doing for ages, I wouldn't consider that important either.
And what if only whites were invited?
It is not. It's criticizing an elected official, one that pretends to be a progressive no less, for blatant racial discrimination. And that is justified. Speaking truth to power, holding elected officials accountable.
36184b27-8a85-4560-8069-36a009a5c111_text.gif

A lot of people make fun of Quanza and other "non-white" holidays of the season.
Quanza is not being ridiculed for being "non-white". It is ridiculed for being a synthetic holiday made up as part of black radicalism of the 60s/70s.

That's a ridiculously dumb distinction. All holidays are made up.

The inventor was a black separatist named Ronald McKinley Everett (alias Maulana Karenga) who spent time in prison for false imprisonment and torture.
Also, wtf, holidays like Christmas are not "white holidays". They are celebrated all over the world.

Of course, but the have origins in whiteness and being forced on Americans. Regardless, people like you might make fun of Quanza.

So, I wonder if the original reason was to create a safe space.
You can come up with any excuse you wish, it is still segregation and racial discrimination.

When you choose your friends at a party, that is "discrimination," but it's not legally defined as discrimination. This is a private party. I go to a holiday party every year with all white people. It's my wife's extended family. It isn't legally discrimination that no POC are invited.

So it sounds like a very counter-productive idea.
We agree there. The whole racial politics of the last 50 years is very counterproductive. From "minority only" holiday parties to the very idea of identity politics, racial reparations or discriminating by race in admissions and hiring under the guise of "affirmative action". US took the wrong turn at Albuquerque in the 70s and we will not find the right way until we stop electing people like Wu who are stuck in that mindset.

I am not willing to throw Wu under the bus over one incident she hasn't explained. I said it's counter-productive. It brings white victimhood to the fore. We can observe this because already you are inaccurately calling it discrimination. That's certainly not a way to make all the participants to the private party safe. And will make tons of drama.

I found this on the City of Boston website. What a fucking joke.

CITY OF BOSTON EQUITY STATEMENT

The City of Boston has played a role in causing and perpetuating the inequities in our society. To break down these barriers, we are embedding equity and inclusion into everything we do.

We define equity as ensuring every community has the resources it needs to thrive in Boston. This requires the active process of meeting individuals where they are. Inclusion is engaging every resident to build a more welcoming and supportive city. We are building a city for everyone, where diversity makes us a more empowered collective.

They claim to care about inclusion and diversity, but purposely disinvite people who have the wrong skin color to a city government party. (n)

A lot of people make fun of Quanza and other "non-white" holidays of the season.
Quanza is not being ridiculed for being "non-white". It is ridiculed for being a synthetic holiday made up as part of black radicalism of the 60s/70s. The inventor was a black separatist named Ronald McKinley Everett (alias Maulana Karenga) who spent time in prison for false imprisonment and torture.
Also, wtf, holidays like Christmas are not "white holidays". They are celebrated all over the world.
Christmas is a synthetic holiday - Jesus was not born around this time. It simply has the advantage of 2000 years of tradition.

While you can speak to your motivations for ridicule, you cannot speak with authority about the motivations of others.

I for one think such discrimination is regressive and not ok. What do you think?

But that's it. Otherwise, it's unimportant. It's a somewhat private party. It's got an exclusive guest list. If the mayor were hosting a "Christian Prayer Breakfast", like Presidents have been doing for ages, I wouldn't consider that important either.

Tom
I agree that the party itself is insignificant, but it did get me thinking about John McWhorter and how he perceives the way that some organizations infantilize young Black people, instead of encouraging young Black students to not allow minor things to upset them, especially when those things or words had a different historical significance. I guess the question is would the minority group had felt they were being discriminated against if the little party was only open to their white coworkers and their invitations were revoked. It seems it would have been smarter not to revoke the invitations that were sent out by mistake, and just put up with the white coworkers this year. No, it's not a big thing, but it gets people thinking.

And, at the same time, we white people shouldn't be so easily offended if a bunch of our Black coworkers or associates want to get together for a dinner party without us. So, imo, it's not so much about the party as it is about how people of different shades of skin perceive each other. Unless it's outright racist and mean, all of us need to stop being so easily insulted by things like this.

Btw, for Derec, I've never met a single Black person who celebrates Quanza. I sort of think it's going the way of Freaknik. Remember that one Derec? And, who the fuck cares if a particular group of people make up a holiday. Columbus Day is a big thing in NJ, and we all know now that Columbus didn't discover America, but he did do a lot of horrible things, yet the holiday lingers on. St. Patricks Day is a pretty silly holiday, but my late Irish grandfather loved it so much, that when he was young, he always marched in the New York City St. Patrick's Day parade. Who cares!

And, at the same time, we white people shouldn't be so easily offended if a bunch of our Black coworkers or associates want to get together for a dinner party without us. So, imo, it's not so much about the party as it is about how people of different shades of skin perceive each other. Unless it's outright racist and mean, all of us need to stop being so easily insulted by things like this.
If a groups of workers wish to use their own money to have a party that excludes certain other people then fine. But if public money is being used that is a different situation. The perception of neutrality and non-discrimination is very important.
Btw, for Derec, I've never met a single Black person who celebrates Quanza. I sort of think it's going the way of Freaknik. Remember that one Derec? And, who the fuck cares if a particular group of people make up a holiday. Columbus Day is a big thing in NJ, and we all know now that Columbus didn't discover America, but he did do a lot of horrible things, yet the holiday lingers on. St. Patricks Day is a pretty silly holiday, but my late Irish grandfather loved it so much, that when he was young, he always marched in the New York City St. Patrick's Day parade. Who cares!
Yes we do need more tolerance and less attacks of the vapours.

Yeah. I probably did. I freely admit that I don't always know what I'm doing when I'm online, so I must have accidentally hit something without realizing it.
The format carried over from the website you got it from. "Paste as plain text" removes that formatting.

If a groups of workers wish to use their own money to have a party that excludes certain other people then fine. But if public money is being used that is a different situation. The perception of neutrality and non-discrimination is very important.
Yes we do need more tolerance and less attacks of the vapours.
The article said that government money wasn't being used for the party. Just sayin'. :) I just thought it was a bit rude to revoke people's invitations after they were received.

The format carried over from the website you got it from. "Paste as plain text" removes that formatting.
I guess so, but the format in the article I used wasn't in large print, which is why I didn't understand it. No biggie.

No Asians?
Mexicans?
Irish?
e9nCSK.gif

As 60ish, I'm too young to remember before Irish people were white. But my parents, from the mid-1920s, weren't. They remember signs in shop windows:
No niggers
No Jews
No Irish
No dogs
From the 30s and early 40s. Apparently, WWII made Irish people officially white.
Tom

Back
Top Bottom