• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Comic book movie news & discussion

I don't know if we should be excited. It looks like the first thing he did was push the Wonder Woman movie back a year to rewrite half of it in order to have it flashpoint the DCEU and reboot things. The studio sticking their noses into the movies and making them focus on being advertisements for the next movies as opposed to quality films in and of themselves has been the main problem they need to be getting away from, even more than the poor choice of tone.

I don't know if we should be excited. It looks like the first thing he did was push the Wonder Woman movie back a year to rewrite half of it in order to have it flashpoint the DCEU and reboot things. The studio sticking their noses into the movies and making them focus on being advertisements for the next movies as opposed to quality films in and of themselves has been the main problem they need to be getting away from, even more than the poor choice of tone.

Eeep. That doesn't sound promising at all.

I've been checking out other movie reviews from "nerd" reviewers, and the response to the new Spider-Man movie is overwhelmingly positive.

I've been checking out other movie reviews from "nerd" reviewers, and the response to the new Spider-Man movie is overwhelmingly positive.
I saw a preview for that and was a bit intrigued. Think it can wait for the HTS, but I will be interested in it.

BTW, Avengers trailer out tomorrow

Is it? Everyone's being saying December, but nothing has been said. Or has it?

my apologies. I saw a post from a gaming website that said it was coming out, and it turns out it was wrong. Sorry to get everyone's hopes up. :(

Yeah, right now they're trying to hype up Captain Marvel. They won't drop any trailers for anything after Captain Marvel until just before Captain Marvel hits theaters so that we can see the trailer in the theaters with the movie.

Marvel is making a Shang Chi movie:

https://deadline.com/2018/12/shang-...allaham-kevin-feige-black-panther-1202512660/

Marvel-Comics-Shang-Chi.jpg

It should surprise no one that the first Marvel movie to headline an Asian protagonist is Shang Chi. Most of Marvel's more recognizable Asian characters are Asian-Americans (e.g. Jubilee is Chinese-American), but Shang Chi is Chinese. Given that Marvel movies tend to make a lot of money in China, it makes sense that they would dig deeper into their bench to find a Chinese superhero instead of a more recognizable Asian-American hero.

I won't lie: I thought Shang Chi was more impressive before he got superpowers. Batman impresses because he mixes it up with superheroes despite not having any superpowers, but Shang Chi doesn't have Batman's wealth, science expertise, etc. He managed to go toe-toe with superpowered villains using just martial arts skills.

But I have to admit that the self-duplication power will probably look pretty cool in a live action movie.

Trigger Warning
This movie will star a non-white protagonist, so it automatically sucks. After all, it is a well-established fact that movies starring Asian people always sucks. Nobody liked Bruce Lee movies nor Jackie Chan movies because they know that only movies starring white males can be any good. Also, having a movie star a non-white person counts as a form of White Genocide, which is prejudiced against white people. Someone call FOX News and tell them about how Marvel is persecuting white people!!!!!!!​

Eh, this is more a comic book thing than a comic book movie thing, but it just didn't seem like something that needed its own separate thread.

[YOUTUBE]BSofuDnQd4U[/YOUTUBE]

Anyway, there were already two iterations of the Teen Titans, they flopped both times, and DC gave up on them. So why give it a third try?

Because Marv Wolfman, the former editor in chief of Marvel quit Marvel in a huff because of some utterly insane office politics that were going on in the 70s. Marvel went through a large number of editors in chief over a 4 year period, which finally resulted in an editor in chief who was able to keep the job for a long time, but was someone who pissed off the writers and artists, many of whom fled to DC, including Wolfman.

Before leaving Marvel, Wolfman was writing an odd comic book title that paired the Thing from Fantastic Four with a different hero every month. When Wolfman got to DC, he was sick of doing team-up stories, so of course DC immediately put him on a Batman team-up comic, and after that a Superman team-up comic.

Wolfman was sick to death of writing team-up stories in which someone else was picking which two characters would be in any given issue, so he wrote his own team-story involving a whole team: the New Teen Titans.

Most of the incarnations of the Teen Titans you see today in TV cartoons, direct-to-video animated movies, or the new live action show on DC Unlimited are based on Wolfman and Perez's version of the teen team.

I only just found out today Legends of Tomorrow won't be part of the DC crossover-fest this year. Disappointing.

I only just found out today Legends of Tomorrow won't be part of the DC crossover-fest this year. Disappointing.

The CW DC universe is amazing, but unfortunately, I'm losing interest in TV in general lately. No idea why. If I was still watching TV, Black Lightning is my favorite CW show. Great music, great characters, and they aren't afraid to tackle controversial themes.

Black Panther gets best picture nomination for Golden Globes. Infinity War gets snubbed.

Black Panther was the most serious of the Marvel comic film series (by far) that dates back around a decade, with a stoic hero and a serious underlying theme. Controversy surrounded the film due to it not only having a lot of black people in it, but no magical white people saved the black people from the big bad. Therefore, the movie was clearly made to appease non-whites. Also, it had a lot of hype. It was the Hamilton of the Silver Screen.

But despite the "appeasement" and massive hype, the film (like the musical), lived up to it.

Does it deserve an Oscar or Golden Globe for best picture? I don't know. I've rarely watched a film and thought "This is the best picture that'll be made this year". But getting the nod with a nomination certainly seems reasonable... as would have been at least a screenplay nod for Infinity War *cough Part One cough*.

The CW DC universe is amazing, but unfortunately, I'm losing interest in TV in general lately. No idea why. If I was still watching TV, Black Lightning is my favorite CW show. Great music, great characters, and they aren't afraid to tackle controversial themes.

They need more Superman, though. He wanders onscreen every couple of years and everybody loses their shit about the fact that Superman is there and it's the most hyped up and reported on thing that they do. The people who own the character rights should loosen up whatever is it that they've gone and shoved up their asses and just give him a damn show instead of trying to get people excited by saying "Look, now we're adding Batman ... 's cousin".

Black Panther gets best picture nomination for Golden Globes. Infinity War gets snubbed.

Black Panther was the most serious of the Marvel comic film series (by far) that dates back around a decade, with a stoic hero and a serious underlying theme. Controversy surrounded the film due to it not only having a lot of black people in it, but no magical white people saved the black people from the big bad. Therefore, the movie was clearly made to appease non-whites. Also, it had a lot of hype. It was the Hamilton of the Silver Screen.

But despite the "appeasement" and massive hype, the film (like the musical), lived up to it.

Does it deserve an Oscar or Golden Globe for best picture? I don't know. I've rarely watched a film and thought "This is the best picture that'll be made this year". But getting the nod with a nomination certainly seems reasonable... as would have been at least a screenplay nod for Infinity War *cough Part One cough*.

I just re-watched Infinity War. It's a fun, fun movie with amazing action sequences, and the Russo brothers deserve kudos for making a movie with so many moving parts without letting any one part get lost in the shuffle, but it just doesn't demand repeat viewings like Black Panther does.

- - - Updated - - -

They need more Superman, though. He wanders onscreen every couple of years and everybody loses their shit about the fact that Superman is there and it's the most hyped up and reported on thing that they do. The people who own the character rights should loosen up whatever is it that they've gone and shoved up their asses and just give him a damn show instead of trying to get people excited by saying "Look, now we're adding Batman ... 's cousin".

But a lot of what makes this version of Supergirl so interesting is that they've borrowed an awful lot of classic Superman stories and re-adapted it to her. If they add too much Superman, the lack of good available stories to tell becomes apparent.

[YOUTUBE]7pg8l0NyjKQ[/YOUTUBE]

You don't have to watch the above video if you don't want to. I'm just posting it as a source. I suppose I could have just as easily looked up the planned release dates for Spider-Man: Far From Home and Avengers 4, but my warped brain doesn't work in straight lines.

Apparently, the Spider-Man Far From Home movie comes out shortly after Avengers 4 will.

We all know that in Avengers 4, something will happen that will[ent]hellip[/ent]

[ent]hellip[/ent]bring back various characters who died in Avengers 3. Mind you, we all knew that something would happen to bring back Spider-Man, T'Challa, and Dr. Strange because at the time Avengers 3 came out, movies starring all 3 of those characters were already in the works.

Because of the way marketing works, we're going to be getting trailers for the Spider-Man movie before the Avengers movie comes out, which means the trailers inherently "spoil" the fact that Peter Parker will be brought back.

Does this count as a spoiler? I mean, we all know that it's going to happen anyway. It's something we all expect to happen just based on the fact that Marvel is making lots of money from these characters, but isn't the release of a trailer kind of an "official" spoiler that undercuts[ent]hellip[/ent]

[ent]hellip[/ent]the Avengers movie?

Hmm. They show cut-scenes during the closing credits, which has effectively kept people in their seats during the credits, and provide fodder for speculation for future movies.

Why not show the Spider-Man trailer during the credits?

Hmm. They show cut-scenes during the closing credits, which has effectively kept people in their seats during the credits, and provide fodder for speculation for future movies.

Why not show the Spider-Man trailer during the credits?

That would be an interesting solution, but the Spider-Man trailer is coming out one day after the Avengers 4 trailer comes out.

Back
Top Bottom