• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Consulting a shaman.

Philos

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic
Folks,

For some time I have been considering consulting a shaman to reconnect me with my animal spirit. Is this a wise move and what could go wrong?

Alex.

Folks,

For some time I have been considering consulting a shaman to reconnect me with my animal spirit. Is this a wise move and what could go wrong?

Alex.

By all means, go for it. A lot of people worry that an incompetent shaman(there is no professional shaman organization to regulate the trade) might hook them up with the wrong spirit animal, but that's not really a problem. If you get the wrong spirit animal, the spirit just leaves. There's nothing to hold it.

The worst that could happen is to be paired with a disappointing spirit animal. People have the impression that spirit animals are these Yoda type mentors in the body of a predatory mammal. It could happen, but it's rare. There's no reason your spirit animal can't be a hermit crab or a wood tick. I hate to be a downer, but a spirit wood tick is useless.

LOL@YODA

What type of Shaman were you thinking about seeing, Philos?

I ask because I read about future Shamans and jungle Shamans and all that. People struck by lightning and people who meditate to cure themselves are by some definitions Shamans. You probably mean an Indian Shaman who uses eggs, tobacco and chicken bones or whatever. I don't think they're supposed to get paid by you. Like idk they may trade for something nice. Predatory Shamans in poor places will tell you whatever they think you want to hear. I think that is a jungle Shamanism problem. Basement Shamans who use pills and other drugs are the best ones I know of. They will have you seeing ducks and snakes real quick, but yeah, nah.Diagnosing spiritual illnesses and curing them I guess is any Shaman specialty but basement Shamans do it best, from what I've read and seen.

As for a power animal, I think any Shaman will do. I wouldn't pay them with money and I would ask them a lot of questions. I know a pretty Romanian Gypsy who does spirit animals. Guess anybody can. If I were a Shaman, I'd say you're a snow leopard cat. Maybe just simplify it to cat. That would be an awesome one to have. I don't know what mine is, or if I even have one. A Jack o lantern would be wicked.

Why bother consulting a shaman? Why not just relax into a trance state and invite an animal spirit to show up in your imagination? Or go seek a totem in the neighborhood park? Or in your backyard? Or under your porch?

It doesn’t have to be done lying down with eyes closed. It doesn’t even have to be anything “disembodied”. You could meander in a city or state park until something shows up and see if you feel a connect and would like to befriend the species that it’s a representative of. You might then read up on the species and how it fairs in your bioregion and see if there’s help you can offer in exchange for whatever strength or wisdom you seek from it. It could be the start of “rewilding” yourself a bit and thereby undoing some of the domestic disconnect and reconnecting with your nonhuman kin.

This sort of thing is native to your body/imagination. Children do it with no instruction. It doesn’t have to be brokered by an “expert” but it can be if that’s your preference.

Why bother consulting a shaman? Why not just relax into a trance state and invite an animal spirit to show up in your imagination? Or go seek a totem in the neighborhood park? Or in your backyard? Or under your porch?

It doesn’t have to be done lying down with eyes closed. It doesn’t even have to be anything “disembodied”. You could meander in a city or state park until something shows up and see if you feel a connect and would like to befriend the species that it’s a representative of. You might then read up on the species and how it fairs in your bioregion and see if there’s help you can offer in exchange for whatever strength or wisdom you seek from it. It could be the start of “rewilding” yourself a bit and thereby undoing some of the domestic disconnect and reconnecting with your nonhuman kin.

This sort of thing is native to your body/imagination. Children do it with no instruction. It doesn’t have to be brokered by an “expert” but it can be if that’s your preference.

This would be my advice. You usually get signs.

Do people really get sings for an animal spirit guide? If you're going to go far enough to let an animal spirit come to you without Shamanic guidance, why not move out of the animal kingdom and use elements or music notes? Planets even, but that is some whole other astrological bs that smells too much like patchouli. Hey go to Mexico. You stand a good chance of getting a good animal there. I want a rad one. A mythical beast that roars hi I'm virile, come lay beside me and share my musk. Like hey I'm Damon, I'm a Cancer and my totem spirit is a fire breathing Sphinx that plays electric guitar.

guided ayahuasca journey, accept no less. my guide is Dreaming Jaguar- also tatt'd on my calf

Jaguar_Dresden_Codex_p8.10334937_std.gif

guided ayahuasca journey, accept no less. my guide is Dreaming Jaguar- also tatt'd on my calf

View attachment 6335

tantric and folks,

It was a documentary about ayahuasca that gave me the idea, but it is a hell of a drug, with much vomiting. The shaman I'm thinking of is a local woman who advertised on the internet. She says there is singing, dancing, shouting and an unspecified drug.

BTW, I am doing this because I've been stuck about something for the longest time (15 years) and nothing has worked. But re-watching 'Insidious', 'Poltergeist 2' and the above documentary has reaffirmed a notion that I am haunted in some way. Some part of me seems to have wandered off and been replaced by an unwelcome visitor. The only thing that shifts it for a couple of days is half a bottle of Jack Daniels, but it always comes back.

Alex.

It was a documentary about ayahuasca that gave me the idea, but it is a hell of a drug, with much vomiting. The shaman I'm thinking of is a local woman who advertised on the internet. She says there is singing, dancing, shouting and an unspecified drug.

BTW, I am doing this because I've been stuck about something for the longest time (15 years) and nothing has worked. But re-watching 'Insidious', 'Poltergeist 2' and the above documentary has reaffirmed a notion that I am haunted in some way. Some part of me seems to have wandered off and been replaced by an unwelcome visitor. The only thing that shifts it for a couple of days is half a bottle of Jack Daniels, but it always comes back.
I am certain that there is no such thing as animal spirits and I am certain that your description of your ailment is a figment of your imagination. On that basis alone I don't think that it's wise to consult a shaman.

That said, on off-chance that this experience relieves your feeling of being haunted, you should give it a try. It has to be better than relying on alcohol.

If she advertises, she is using a legal drug. There are legal vision drugs that will surely have you seeing random animals. Using hallucinogens when you're feeling down can be bad so I'd hope you would research her and find out what cocktail she uses.

This isn't a joke so please don't think it is... You could handcuff yourself to a chair and smoke Salvia. I suggest the handcuffs because it tends to make people want to wander into the street and laugh uncontrollably. Doing it by yourself may actually be a better idea than with a Shaman because she may have some bad energy. I've gone on quests and could feel my energy being sucked out by some asshole who wanted to explain to me where to go on my trip. I'm like damn chill Don Juan.

Salvia is legal and I'm not suggesting you do anything illegal. The Aya kits you can order are sometimes too strong and they make you sick but Salvia is straight up and straight down in ten minutes. The chem will leave your body forever. Don't do it, I'm just saying you could do it. I've given terrible drug advice in my life but I felt I should mention Salvia because it is powerful, legal and safe (with handcuffs).

I've been keeping a journal about what she shows me and she has a lot to show people. I've been seeing a windmill lately and it kinda feels like it is turning me, pulling me, repelling me and showing me random faces in the fans. It is hard to distinctly remember every detail so I keep the book handy to jot down discoveries while I'm coming down. God I love that drug. It is a true blessing in my life.

Last edited:
Folks,

Alex.
Oh hell yeah. Go for it. And you must report your experiences here! :D

It was a documentary about ayahuasca that gave me the idea, but it is a hell of a drug, with much vomiting.

And with much trauma for you to try to survive. Some people come out more wounded than "healed".

Don't get me wrong in anything I'm about to say, because fantasy's an important part of us. But it happens in the body and the body's the guide to help find your way in it. If you dim your contact with your own body, whether with booze to numb yourself or using hallucinogens to smash to pieces your ability to sort things while a deluge of psychic content goes berserk, then you really have no guide to help. The shaman will say that's her, but she is not your own bodily awareness which is the ultimate authority in a matter of this sort (so don't bludgeon it).

Just strikes me in what you've said that more dissociation is not what you need. All your experience is your body-in-environment. Notice that even getting this fantasy of spirit invasion ("haunted") that you draped over your bodily feelings ("some part of me") came from your environment (you immerse in much screen-time while also otherwise artificially sustaining unawareness of the bodily self). There's no "bad spirit" to cast out here; too much life has been cast out already.

In place of my prior suggestion of lying down and setting up an imaginary scene to invite your “power animal” to, why not set up two chairs across from one another and sit in one and invite the conflicted bit of your self into the other chair and talk it out and reach a mutually respectful understanding?

Or do it lying down with eyes closed if that makes it feel more real. Though I think it doesn't really make anything feel more real. I’m a skilled visualizer but I don’t feel deep trance states make things “more real”. I think that lends to an increased disembodied feeling which is why you get pagans, shamans, et al, going on about OBE’s and possessions and similar, though we experience nothing outside of our own bodily selves, ever. I'm not limiting "self" to "brain" because if you pay attention to both your joys and sorrows and missing bits you find where the phenomena really are... in the tensions and releases of the muscles and viscera of the body.

Thinking it through and trying to use only reason to solve things isn't going to help either. That's dissociation too.

A therapist who uses the imagination (without ever losing sight of the body’s significance in everything) would be the guide you probably should be seeking. Gestalt therapy is where I learned about dialoguing of self to self to resolve inner conflicts. Here’s a sample of the chair technique in Gestalt Therapy: http://www.cetuesday.com/empty-chair-gestalt-technique/

Last edited:
I assumed this thread was a joke, but psychedelic drugs are typically something young (or young in mind) people use for fun, who then sometimes accidentally get a shift in perspective, and then consequently don't really need them any more because they 'own' the perspective.

Alternatively to drugs there's just 'figuring it out'. My girlfriend is a prime example. Never really touched drugs but she just gets it.

If you're a self-aware elderly gentlemen such as Philos drugs won't do anything but throw you out of balance. The only thing to improve your psyche at that point are healthy behaviours.

View attachment 6335

tantric and folks,

Alex.

What happened 15 years ago?...How did you get that "visitor"?...

What happened 15 years ago?...How did you get that "visitor"?...

Thomas II,

It was at the death of my father. I was alone with him when he died, and the experience changed me from that moment. No graphic details here, but my father had an elemental anger which stayed with him to the last breath, even under heavy doses of morphine and sedative. I have been with other dying people and they were different, calm and accepting. He was another thing.

I subsequently entered a severe illness myself, both physical and psychological and nothing helped. There were many doctors, counselors and various therapies. No good. Time has dimmed the harshness of memory, but I have never recovered my previous health and peace of mind.

I now know that something died in me at that time, and in the space another thing seems to be here. It comes in dreams but it is not him. Recently a Shiatsu practitioner told me that there was something going on and (amazingly) brought out some grief. It was so hard that I didn't go back to her. Now I am wondering if this might be the time to face the demon, before it is too late.

Alex.

abaddon,

Thank you for a thoughtful and helpful reply. I take from your words that an emotional crisis (or chronic condition) can take away our sense of our own bodies, of just being here in the physical world and happy with it.

I have not recovered that natural state, but remain to a large extent elsewhere. It is very difficult to just 'be in my skin'. At my age a long period of psychotherapy is not on the cards, and in any case I couldn't afford it. Also, I know several people for whom such treatment has not worked.

Anyway, I'll read your post again and have a look at the link. I have an open mind, such as it is.

Alex.

Back
Top Bottom