• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

"Coronavirus and the US" or "We are all going to die!!!!"

...This virus really likes old and sick people

True, but do you know of a virus that doesn't?

The 1918-20 "Spanish" influenza pandemic mostly killed young healthy people. Apparently it leveraged the immune system to destroy lung cells, so those with the strongest immune systems were most likely to die.

The "Spanish" flu was so called largely because Spain was neutral in WWI, so uniquely they had a free press that reported on the alarming new outbreak - the belligerent nations (including the USA) suppressed reports of mass deaths from the new disease, in an attempt to avoid lowering morale.

The likely origin of the 1918-20 pandemic was close to a US Army training camp in Kentucky, where it jumped to humans from local pig farms - the virus was brought to Europe when the troops were deployed to the Western Front, and flourished in the insanitary conditions of the trenches. As a result, the US decision to enter the Great War (once ot was clear which would be the winning side) likely killed more people than the war itself.

I gotta wonder if all these experts and politicians continually telling the public to not panic isn't having the opposite effect. Personally, when I hear a politician say, "don't panic", I generally wonder what they think they know that would panic the population if the population knew.

I gotta wonder if all these experts and politicians continually telling the public to not panic isn't having the opposite effect. Personally, when I hear a politician say, "don't panic", I generally wonder what they think they know that would panic the population if the population knew.

Right. It's like telling an unhinged person to "calm down."

I live in Seattle.

The clearing crew will be periodically dissecting common areas in my building and we are asked to limit visitors'.

Pike Place Market is said to be deserted, usually packed with tourists and locals.

We had a local news conference with state, local, and CDC officials.

The word is it will spread beyond capacity to trace infection paths. At that poit it will be isolation of people as they come into hospitals.

A local motel has been purchased to serve as an isolation facility.

The mortality rate I just heard is 2% versus 0.02% for a bad flu strain.

A vaccine even if it comes will not help the infected. Even with a vaccine it will take time to burn out.

On per capita basis Italy is almost as bad as China. That europian habit of kissing should be outlawed I think. And hand shaking as well.

I live in Seattle.

The clearing crew will be periodically dissecting common areas in my building and we are asked to limit visitors'.

Pike Place Market is said to be deserted, usually packed with tourists and locals.

We had a local news conference with state, local, and CDC officials.

The word is it will spread beyond capacity to trace infection paths. At that poit it will be isolation of people as they come into hospitals.

A local motel has been purchased to serve as an isolation facility.

The mortality rate I just heard is 2% versus 0.02% for a bad flu strain.

A vaccine even if it comes will not help the infected. Even with a vaccine it will take time to burn out.
It isn’t 2%. It is roughly 2% of known cases.

And in general, mostly those that die are elderly and suffering from complications, much like those that die of the flu.

Right. It's like telling an unhinged person to "calm down."

Or the Python skit where the pilot announces, "There is no cause for alarm."

A medical screener at LAX, who was testing incoming travelers for the coronavirus, has tested positive for the coronavirus.

Beautiful.

You gotta wonder, was the screener inadequately trained? Inadequately equipped? Or did they do everything right at their station, but some pilot or TSA worker transmit it around any boundaries?

Or did the virus just use a power tool, or a rope ladder?

Does anyone know if once you have/had the virus you can contract it again?

That hasn't been determined yet. It's difficult to know because for one thing, people seem to be testing positive long after their symptoms are gone. From what I've read, it can take weeks before an infected person tests negative. I think there are just too many things that we don't know about this virus yet.

Oh no! Not dogs too!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2020/03/05/coronavirus-dogs-cats/

A pet dog in Hong Kong has a “low-level” infection of the coronavirus that causes covid-19 in people, in what may be the first known human-to-animal transmission of the novel coronavirus that has sickened more than 90,000 people worldwide.
The case has raised the specter that dogs might be swept into the epidemic, which, even now, public health officials say does not appear to infect or be spread by pets. But experts say much remains unknown about the dog’s infection, including whether it causes disease in dogs, and they emphasized the lone case is not yet cause for alarm or reassessments about interactions with pets.
The dog is owned by a person who was hospitalized with covid-19, and it has been quarantined since Feb. 26, according to Hong Kong’s Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department. The department said last week that the dog’s “weak positive” test results, from nasal and oral swabs, might have been the result of “environmental contamination,” not infection. But positive tests since then suggest the dog does have a low-level of infection, the department said Wednesday. The animal has shown no symptoms, and a second dog under quarantine in the same facility has tested negative for the virus, the department said.

That's it. I'm making my dogs do a 20 second paw scrub whenever they go outside. ;)

On a more serious note, it's going to be impossible to do all the things that are suggested. I just went out for lunch. The restaurant is usually packed at 12, but today it was half as busy as usual. I washed my hands before and after I ate. I used a napkin when I needed to touch my face. I used a paper towel to open the rest room door and turn off the water faucet handles. I'd be happy to just hibernate inside, other than when we need groceries. I do feel bad for the local restaurant owners and staff if people are going to stop eating meals out.

Does anyone know if once you have/had the virus you can contract it again?
Chinese say you can, but i think they are wrong.

Agreed. Their cases appear to be patients that were discharged because they were getting better, not because they were actually cured. I also wonder if some of the relapses might be smoking-related.

Oh no! Not dogs too!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2020/03/05/coronavirus-dogs-cats/

A pet dog in Hong Kong has a “low-level” infection of the coronavirus that causes covid-19 in people, in what may be the first known human-to-animal transmission of the novel coronavirus that has sickened more than 90,000 people worldwide.
The case has raised the specter that dogs might be swept into the epidemic, which, even now, public health officials say does not appear to infect or be spread by pets. But experts say much remains unknown about the dog’s infection, including whether it causes disease in dogs, and they emphasized the lone case is not yet cause for alarm or reassessments about interactions with pets.
The dog is owned by a person who was hospitalized with covid-19, and it has been quarantined since Feb. 26, according to Hong Kong’s Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department. The department said last week that the dog’s “weak positive” test results, from nasal and oral swabs, might have been the result of “environmental contamination,” not infection. But positive tests since then suggest the dog does have a low-level of infection, the department said Wednesday. The animal has shown no symptoms, and a second dog under quarantine in the same facility has tested negative for the virus, the department said.

That's it. I'm making my dogs do a 20 second paw scrub whenever they go outside. ;)

On a more serious note, it's going to be impossible to do all the things that are suggested. I just went out for lunch. The restaurant is usually packed at 12, but today it was half as busy as usual. I washed my hands before and after I ate. I used a napkin when I needed to touch my face. I used a paper towel to open the rest room door and turn off the water faucet handles. I'd be happy to just hibernate inside, other than when we need groceries. I do feel bad for the local restaurant owners and staff if people are going to stop eating meals out.

I have long already used the paper towel technique at public restrooms, but now I'm considering not eating out at all anymore. Maybe I'm panicking, though I will still let my dog deep kiss me.

Back
Top Bottom