• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

"Coronavirus and the US" or "We are all going to die!!!!"

In Seattle school bus drivers and delivery drivers are in short supply. The reporting is that in part it is due to people getting expanded te unemployment benefits.

Business owners in general are unable to find applicants.

Except the states that stopped it earlier saw no change--it's not the unemployment benefits that are the issue.

In Seattle school bus drivers and delivery drivers are in short supply. The reporting is that in part it is due to people getting expanded te unemployment benefits.

Business owners in general are unable to find applicants.

Except the states that stopped it earlier saw no change--it's not the unemployment benefits that are the issue.

Ya I posted a link to a study showing that here somewhere months ago.

I recall it was a combination of fear of covid and tired of being paid shit and treated like crap.

And that is the conservative mantra against too much social service. We tend to take the path of least résistance.
That's a problem with means testing, especially means testing with eligibility cliffs.

So one should avoid it, even if it means that some undeserving people end up benefiting. We don't do that with military and police protection, even if some people are too lazy to protect themselves. It's fun to direct conservative rhetorical tropes against the military and the police.

And that is the conservative mantra against too much social service. We tend to take the path of least résistance.
That's a problem with means testing, especially means testing with eligibility cliffs.

So one should avoid it, even if it means that some undeserving people end up benefiting. We don't do that with military and police protection, even if some people are too lazy to protect themselves. It's fun to direct conservative rhetorical tropes against the military and the police.

I am always both amazed and disgusted that so many Americans get upset over some poor slob receiving a pittance in benefits that they may or may not be eligible to receive, but so few Americans seem bothered much by the ultra wealthy who sometimes literally get away with murder, including the large percentage who cheat on their taxes. Why do people hate "the little people" so much?

But, we are off topic...so....

I heard on the news that the number of children who are needing hospitalization due to COVID is rising substantially. Yet, we still have many parents who refuse to be vaccinated. That seems like a form of child abuse or neglect to me. Will these parents deny their children the vaccine once it's approved in the near future?

Can someone tell me I'm reading this wrong?

Based on the numbers by region, it looks like the people that were vaccinated and those that weren't kind of match up for the Northeast and generally in the South. What appears to be interesting is that about 1 in 7.5 in the NE were unvaccinated and got sick. In the South it was greater 1 in 2.5.

We humans are hopeless.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/18/us/miami-private-school-students-covid-vaccine/index.html

(CNN)A Miami private school, which previously asked teachers not to get the Covid-19 vaccine or they wouldn't be allowed to return this school year, has now asked parents to keep their children home for 30 days if their child has received a vaccine dose, citing false and disproved claims about the impact of the inoculation, according to a letter sent to parents and obtained by CNN affiliate WSVN.

The letter from Centner Academy, read in part, "...if you are considering the vaccine for your Centner Academy student(s), we ask that you hold off until the Summer when there will be time for the potential transmission or shedding onto others to decrease," WSVN reported.
"Because of the potential impact on other students and our school community, vaccinated students will need to stay at home for 30 days post-vaccination for each dose and booster they receive and may return to school after 30 days as long as the student is healthy and symptom-free," the letter added, according to WSVN's reporting.
The school had previously made unsubstantiated claims about adverse reactions non-vaccinated people could have by "interacting with people who have been vaccinated" that have not been identified in or supported by research by the Centers for Disease Control, Food and Drug Administration, National Institutes of Health or World Health Organization.

We humans are hopeless.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/18/us/miami-private-school-students-covid-vaccine/index.html

(CNN)A Miami private school, which previously asked teachers not to get the Covid-19 vaccine or they wouldn't be allowed to return this school year, has now asked parents to keep their children home for 30 days if their child has received a vaccine dose, citing false and disproved claims about the impact of the inoculation, according to a letter sent to parents and obtained by CNN affiliate WSVN.

The letter from Centner Academy, read in part, "...if you are considering the vaccine for your Centner Academy student(s), we ask that you hold off until the Summer when there will be time for the potential transmission or shedding onto others to decrease," WSVN reported.
"Because of the potential impact on other students and our school community, vaccinated students will need to stay at home for 30 days post-vaccination for each dose and booster they receive and may return to school after 30 days as long as the student is healthy and symptom-free," the letter added, according to WSVN's reporting.
The school had previously made unsubstantiated claims about adverse reactions non-vaccinated people could have by "interacting with people who have been vaccinated" that have not been identified in or supported by research by the Centers for Disease Control, Food and Drug Administration, National Institutes of Health or World Health Organization.

It's amazing how stupid these people are.

This anti-vax and anti-mask crackpottery reminds me of this from Martin Gardner's Fads and Fallacies in the Name of Science (1950's) He noted that a common kind of crackpottery is inversion:
He has strong compulsions to focus his attacks on the greatest scientists and the best-established theories. When Newton was the outstanding name in physics, eccentric works in that science were violently anti-Newton. Today, with Einstein the father-symbol of authority, a crank theory of physics is likely to attack Einstein in the name of Newton. This same defiance can be seen in a tendency to assert the diametrical opposite of well-established beliefs. Mathematicians prove the angle cannot be trisected. So the crank trisects it. A perpetual motion machine cannot be built. He builds one. There are many eccentric theories in which the "pull" of gravity is replaced by a "push." Germs do not cause disease, some modern cranks insist. Disease produces the germs. Glasses do not help the eyes, said Dr. Bates. They make them worse. In our next chapter we shall learn how Cyrus Teed literally turned the entire cosmos inside-out, compressing it within the confines of a hollow earth, inhabited only on the inside.

We humans are hopeless.

It's amazing how stupid these people are.

And it is from a school I assume is run by educated people. There was news story about people claiming masks actually increase risk.

The Strongest Evidence Yet That an Animal Started the Pandemic

an infected animal, with no third-party contamination, still seems by far the most plausible explanation for the samples’ genetic contents, several experts told me; other scenarios require contortions of logic and, more important, additional proof. Even prior to the reveal of the new data, Gronvall told me, “I think the evidence is actually more sturdy for COVID than it is for many others.” The strength of the data might even, in at least one way, best what’s available for SARS-CoV-1: Although scientists have isolated SARS-CoV-1-like viruses from a wet-market-traded mammal host, the palm civet, those samples were taken months after the outbreak began—and the viral variants found weren’t exactly identical to the ones in human patients. The versions of SARS-CoV-2 tugged out of several Huanan-market samples, meanwhile, are a dead ringer for the ones that sickened humans with COVID early on.

Scientists were able to download data coming from China, information that is no longer available thanks to human stupidity. But it's definitely a reinforcer that the origins of the virus were animal, and not the phony lab leak claims.

Good article.

China does not appear to have the ethics and moral principles the west at least tries to adhere to

The Chibese leaders woud rtather let thier people suffer than release information that mayhave helped fight COVID and admit a failure.

The Chibese leaders woud rtather let thier people suffer than release information that mayhave helped fight COVID and admit a failure.
That’s easy to understand. If you’ve been oppressing more than a billion people for decades, it would be a grave mistake to admit ANY failure or any weakness. Control them at any price, or pay with your life.

China does not appear to have the ethics and moral principles the west at least tries to adhere to

Knowing it's origins might be useful for understanding potential future outbreaks but it's not going to help with the current one.

The question which is now irrelevant is when China knew there was a problem.

My guess is they could have given an early warning, at least that there may be a problem.

But again that is not in the CCP ideology, to

Saving face over saving people.

It is not in the CCP ideology to cooperate as partners. I don't think they used outside vaccines and theirs was not as effective.

Saving face instead of people.

Wat has bohered me is recent reporting. An impression was given by many news shwos that it was proven that it was a lab leak. Few added the caveat that there was no cross agency consensus.

Wat has bohered me is recent reporting. An impression was given by many news shwos that it was proven that it was a lab leak. Few added the caveat that there was no cross agency consensus.

That's not how I remember it. The scientific consensus seemed to be that it was not a lab leak, but it was always accurately reported that there was no cross-agency consensus. At present, the majority opinion still seems to be that it was not a lab leak, but there is more pushback from the agencies that dissented in the past or were less sure that it was not a lab leak. Nobody really knows, but the preponderance of evidence seems to be that an animal origin is more likely than a lab leak. The Chinese don't have solid evidence one way or the other, but they sure don't want any evidence to emerge that it was a lab leak. Hence, the secrecy makes better strategic sense to them, since, in the absence of conclusive proof one way or the other, China bashers will never stop pursuing the lab leak theory. What they don't get is that their secrecy and stonewalling makes them look guilty. It hurts more than it helps.

I am referring to reporting over the last week. Somebody at DOE published a report indicating it may have been a lab leak.

The media ran with it, some added a d caveat that there is no conscious among all agencies. There is no cnclusive evidence either way..

My guess is they could have given an early warning, at least that there may be a problem.

I dunno.
One of the big problems is that C19 isn't much of a problem for the large majority of patients. It could easily be overlooked for quite some time.

Somebody gets a "bit of a cold". They don't even bother with a doctor, because they've got a plane to catch. By the time anyone identifies this novel virus it's being spread in airports around the globe.
Tom

But again that is not in the CCP ideology, to

Saving face over saving people.

It is not in the CCP ideology to cooperate as partners. I don't think they used outside vaccines and theirs was not as effective.

Saving face instead of people.

Trump was bragging about knowing how bad it was before it had gripped the US, so we knew enough, early enough. He was the asshole who politicized it and a million America died.

The origin is forensics and that takes time. China has secrets it wants to keep, hence why they don't want to be open about their lab.

There is an interesting study that looks at the numbers from an outside perspective. As a forewarning, this isn't dissecting the numbers, just looking big picture. Trends before and during the pandemic, including post vaccination availability.

article said:
  • The study examined the deaths of 538,139 people 25 years and older in Florida and Ohio, between January 2018 and December 2021, with researchers linking them to party registration records. Researchers found the excess death rate for Republicans and Democrats was about the same at the start of the pandemic in March 2020.
  • Both parties experienced a sharp but similar increase in excess deaths the following winter. But after April 2021, the gap in excess death rates emerged, with the rate for Republicans 7.7 percentage points higher than the rate for Democrats. For Republicans, that translated into a 43 percent increase in excess deaths.

Back
Top Bottom