• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

"Coronavirus and the US" or "We are all going to die!!!!"

I don't give crap the first how little you trust governments. If you trust your 'own research' more than you trust theirs, you're a fucking idiot.

Well, I don't trust the CDC these days--because they've always been downplaying it! Of course they did so under His Flatulence but even with him gone they didn't acknowledge the threats variants posed until Delta blew up.

America has stopped caring. The CDC is trying but the partisanship and eventual fatigue of the general population has hurt America a lot. Had the US mandated vaccines or wearing a mask, things could be different: Of course the partisan climate, in part enflamed by Trump would have made that a nightmare.

Trump owns this excess death toll, well him and the anti-vaxxers.

Anybody noticeing empty shelves in the stores?

COIVD impact on transportation and supply.

I did hear this morning that more Republicans are beginning to face reality and opt for the vaccine. They still have a way to go, but at least it's going in the right direction. I'm still waiting to hear when I can take the booster. It's been over 6 months since I had my second vaccine, so I've been extremely careful again. I still work out with a small group of women. We are vaccinated, and stay at least 10 feet apart from each other while exercising, etc. We still go to the grocery store and I've noticed lately that a lot more shoppers are wearing masks.

Our grocery stores where I live are still very well stocked with few exceptions. The prices of a lot of things are rising quite a bit, which I assume is due to the supply chain problem, rising wages and the increase in the prices of things like cans and other types of packaging, as well as shipping costs.

Around here, not empty shelves, but sometimes individual items are empty, more often than not, some frozen foods. Hard to tell how much of that is shipping delays or the result of climate changes that have created harsher environments for growing frozen foods.

Around here, not empty shelves, but sometimes individual items are empty, more often than not, some frozen foods. Hard to tell how much of that is shipping delays or the result of climate changes that have created harsher environments for growing frozen foods.
I did notice that my frozen pizza tree produced almost no frozen pizzas this year.

I did notice that my frozen pizza tree produced almost no frozen pizzas this year.
You need to adjust your planting season.

Well, duh! If your pizza tree froze it's not going to produce anything!

In the news around here restaurants are having trouble because of both nobody wanting to work and lack of supplies. Full shipping containers are piling up at the ports.

There are some empty shelf spaces in grocery stores and drug stores.

Humor in the face of inescapable disaster, what a movie cliché....

The upside is you don't have to pay money to see a disaster movie with great special effects, just watch the news.

In the news around here restaurants are having trouble because of both nobody wanting to work and lack of supplies. Full shipping containers are piling up at the ports.

There are plenty of people wanting to work. There's a shortage of people wanting to pay them enough to do so.

There are plenty of people wanting to work. There's a shortage of people wanting to pay them enough to do so.

And the usual game of employers who don't think any candidate is good enough.

My daughter just quit her job. She was hired to work full time at Dunkin Donuts. Min wage of course. $13 something an hour. They never gave her more than 25 hours a week and more like 20 hours most weeks. They would post the schedule Sunday for the week. She'd go in on a day she was supposed to work to find that the big boss had taken her off the schedule that day, never told her, so she'd go home. Then on a day off and she'd have plans they would call her to work and threaten to fire her if she refused. On top of that dealing with all the Karen's and Kens who ignore the mask rules and make general jerks of themselves. She'd come home furious and crying all the abuse she got from the customers.

She gave her two week notice over two weeks ago. After the two weeks were up they still called her to work and when she refused they put a "FIRED" for absenteeism in her record.

IF this is normal for this kind of work it's no wonder not enough people want to do it.

She got a job offer doing factory work for way more than min wage and is waiting for the paperwork to process.

My daughter just quit her job. She was hired to work full time at Dunkin Donuts. Min wage of course. $13 something an hour. They never gave her more than 25 hours a week and more like 20 hours most weeks. They would post the schedule Sunday for the week. She'd go in on a day she was supposed to work to find that the big boss had taken her off the schedule that day, never told her, so she'd go home. Then on a day off and she'd have plans they would call her to work and threaten to fire her if she refused. On top of that dealing with all the Karen's and Kens who ignore the mask rules and make general jerks of themselves. She'd come home furious and crying all the abuse she got from the customers.

She gave her two week notice over two weeks ago. After the two weeks were up they still called her to work and when she refused they put a "FIRED" for absenteeism in her record.

IF this is normal for this kind of work it's no wonder not enough people want to do it.

She got a job offer doing factory work for way more than min wage and is waiting for the paperwork to process.

Check the laws where you are--those days they took her off the schedule and didn't tell her they probably owe her some minimum number of hours for.

The absent saying in business is to always document everything. If you quit put it in writing with the reasons why. Email of course. I'd make a complaint to the appropriate sate labor agencies, if she is young that record could haunt her in the future.

Places like Dunkin Doughnuts always have limited hours to get around requirements for benefits. Grocery stores as well. That often means part timers are not given fixed hours.

So, don't take anti-fever medication unless you get over 102 F / 39 C ?

Also, aspirin has good anti platelet activity and covid can cause clotting, but it also lowers fever. So what is the best to be done here?

Getting into a very hot bath (including stove boiled water to get temps up) is probably what I would do if I got a "breakthrough" covid infection despite being vaccinated.

I see the Guard is driving busses in Mass. Not enough drivers.

What does a member of the Guard make? What do school bus drivers make?

In Seattle school bus drivers and delivery drivers are in short supply. The reporting is that in part it is due to people getting expanded te unemployment benefits.

Business owners in general are unable to find applicants.

In Seattle school bus drivers and delivery drivers are in short supply. The reporting is that in part it is due to people getting expanded te unemployment benefits.

That sounds reasonable. Just personally, if I was paid more or even almost as much not to work than to work then I would spend a hell of a lot of time fishing and camping or just enjoy fucking-off.

That sounds reasonable. Just personally, if I was paid more or even almost as much not to work than to work then I would spend a hell of a lot of time fishing and camping or just enjoy fucking-off.

Exactly!! And who wouldn't? To criticize people for wanting to live a little for a very short time is ridiculous and selfish.

And that is the conservative mantra against too much social service. We tend to take the path of least résistance.

Back
Top Bottom