• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

The USA as a shit sandwich:

View attachment 34479

Sadly, for me, I live in the middle of that shit sandwich.

I've already lost people from C19. I expect more. Not a lot more, most of the vulnerable are already dead or vaccinated.

But here in southern Indiana, I don't expect great results. Given Trumpistas and main stream media, I'm pretty sure that most of us responsible people are now vaccinated. The other 55% of residents will keep spreading C19, and the variants, but now they can blame Biden.

And so they will.
Tom

I won't enclose yet another copy of that vaccination-by-state graphic; but is it not impressive how exactly the vaccination follows the D/R voting split?

Is there a logical ideological reason for this? It can't be as simple as Freedom™ since it is the D's who are pro-freedom on issues like gay rights. Nor can it be simply a reaction to perceived government intrusion, since it is the R's who most favor aggressive policing.

Trump supporters aren't ideological, so you won't find ideology behind it, just anti-establishment and anti-liberal childishness.

Then you have the anti-vax movement, which is more on the liberal side of things, but these people aren't that​ common.

Then religion. Oi! Religion.

Finally, underserved areas. This'll effect minorities both those that are weary of historical precedence and those that simply don't have easy access.

I wonder how many TV antivaxers are actually NOT vaccinated. Something tells me they are all vaccinated.

I won't enclose yet another copy of that vaccination-by-state graphic; but is it not impressive how exactly the vaccination follows the D/R voting split?

Is there a logical ideological reason for this? It can't be as simple as Freedom™ since it is the D's who are pro-freedom on issues like gay rights. Nor can it be simply a reaction to perceived government intrusion, since it is the R's who most favor aggressive policing.

Right now I think a large part is about Biden saying he wanted 70% of the country vaccinated by a certain date, so by not getting vaccinated they can yell "Biden failed!" They even applauded it at the CPAC.

I had this handy.

Vax vs Vote.jpg

I believe the source was a CNN story. Dated July 11

The ideological reason is that Trump voters don't give a flying fuck about getting Covid under control because it is either 1: a hoax or 2: They don't think that personal responsibility means avoiding endangering others.

Vermont counties are also interesting:
View attachment 34483
https://www.healthvermont.gov/covid-19/vaccine/covid-19-vaccine-dashboard

Essex county has the smallest vaccination rate out of the counties. They also seem to have the least population density and so there could be some partially legitimate cost-benefit people are doing in their heads if they have little human contact...but the population density isn't THAT small...and so there's also something else going on. Could it be less access to healthcare in this somewhat less dense area? I find it hard to believe in a state like Vermont.

Here's some other data:
VermontCountyElection2020.PNG
(a map of 2020 election results)
https://www.mynbc5.com/article/vermont-election-results-2020-county-map/34935700#

Within both links are some numbers. The first has vaccination rates. The second has counts of Biden and Trump voters per county. For that second data set, I estimated a percent voting for Biden by taking the voters who voted for Biden and dividing by the total of Trump and Biden voters per county. Then, I looked at the correlation between the Biden% and the Vaccination%. See below.

BidenVsVax.PNG

So I watched this whole discussion by doctors about Ivermectin related to treatment of Covid-19 and as a contrast the FDA ramming through a probably ineffective Alzheimers treatment of Aducanumab.

Both of these doctors DO NOT recommend Ivermectin at this point, but are not opposed to the current RCTs on it. They think the doctors touting it and using it on patients are in the middle of it and can't see clearly the confounders that are around them. In fact that it seems that they are saying that highly active doctors are helping patients a ton by being so involved and that is a huge confounder.

They also are highly against the censoring of this topic as it lends a persecution complex especially when paired with aducanumab debacle and will that drug be a sponsor of Youtube and Facebook ads soon?

From a month ago in NPR:

3 Experts Have Resigned From An FDA Committee Over Alzheimer's Drug Approval
https://www.npr.org/2021/06/11/1005567149/3-experts-have-resigned-from-an-fda-committee-over-alzheimers-drug-approval

The assertion the doctor on the right made is that when the FDA is so corrupt as to approve this Aducanumab that this gives Ivermectin supporters a target of ACTUAL corruption to say it is just part of that cycle.

But then he points out that dexamethasone and other similar cheap analogues are widely supported to have decent use for covid.

Those RCTs may not be as R or as C as you might imagine a T to be.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/jul/16/huge-study-supporting-ivermectin-as-covid-treatment-withdrawn-over-ethical-concerns

The authors claimed they conducted the study between the 8th of June and 20th of September 2020, however most of the patients who died were admitted into hospital and died before the 8th of June according to the raw data. The data was also terribly formatted, and includes one patient who left hospital on the non-existent date of 31/06/2020.

In their paper, the authors claim that four out of 100 patients died in their standard treatment group for mild and moderate Covid-19, [...] According to the original data, the number was 0, the same as the ivermectin treatment group. In their ivermectin treatment group for severe Covid-19, the authors claim two patients died, but the number in their raw data is four.

The main error is that at least 79 of the patient records are obvious clones of other records, [...] It’s certainly the hardest to explain away as innocent error, especially since the clones aren’t even pure copies. There are signs that they have tried to change one or two fields to make them look more natural.

FFS, LA County health department is mandating masks for everyone when indoors regardless of vaccination status. So much for “following the science”.

FFS, LA County health department is mandating masks for everyone when indoors regardless of vaccination status. So much for “following the science”.

This dosn't seem super difficult to understand to me! There's a huge surge in covid there. Just because someone is vaccinated, you aren't completely safe from covid. Second, obviously there are many who remain unvaccinated. So yea, if it's surging in your area, wear a mask inside. No brainer. Not sure where the conflict with science is here...

You can be vaxxed and asymptomatic and still spread the virus. It's probably not as common as the unvaxxed spreading it, but it's part of the picture. Almost all of what is happening to our society is and was preventable. What obstinate cusses we are. (I speak as someone who made some dumb choices just before the vaccines were rolled out, and went through the damn thing.)

Could someone tell me what the objection is to wearing a mask? They honestly don't bother me in the least. I don't like wearing one when I work out. But that's about it. I've been told that I look better with a mask on! What's the big deal?

This dosn't seem super difficult to understand to me! There's a huge surge in covid there. Just because someone is vaccinated, you aren't completely safe from covid.
In what way is someone who is vaccinated "not safe" from the virus ? Not safe from what exactly ? If you are vaccinated, the vaccine protects you from getting sick.

Second, obviously there are many who remain unvaccinated.
That sounds like a problem for someone else, not me.

So yea, if it's surging in your area, wear a mask inside. No brainer. Not sure where the conflict with science is here...

Male bovine excrement. Masks are not the answer, getting vaccinated is the answer. If people are still not getting vaccinated, too bad, they have to suffer the consequences of their choices.

Could someone tell me what the objection is to wearing a mask? They honestly don't bother me in the least. I don't like wearing one when I work out. But that's about it. I've been told that I look better with a mask on! What's the big deal?
Then wear your mask and stop with the scolding and shaming. You come across as control freak Karen. And besides, there is no real evidence wearing a mask makes one iota of a difference.

In what way is someone who is vaccinated "not safe" from the virus ? Not safe from what exactly ? If you are vaccinated, the vaccine protects you from getting sick.

I Googled just a few hours ago. The info was split up by vaccine brand but the typical numbers were:

Effectiveness after 1st jab: 70%
Effectiveness after 2nd jab: 85%

If you'd asked more politely, I might have repeated the Googling just for you!

Back
Top Bottom