• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

No, going through the loss of my father in March 2020, and the 24 month run-up to it was rough. Having to cope with his loss in a pandemic and not able to get out was rough. Having people be oblivious why I wouldn't want to put my surviving mother (or other people with family members with not great health or on medications that reduce their immune system) at risk is more frustrating than rough.

Stay home if the outside world is so dangerous for you. The world does not revolve around your mother.

It has repeatedly been pointing out that your advice to just stay home is analogous to a situation where drunk driving is legal and those who don't want to be killed by a drunk driver should just stay home. Do you think that drunk driving should be legal and that those who want to stay alive should just stay home? Or do you agree that drunk driving should remain illegal and punishable by law?

To purposely remain unvaccinated is analogous to drunk driving. Unvaccinated people are putting others at risk.

No, going through the loss of my father in March 2020, and the 24 month run-up to it was rough. Having to cope with his loss in a pandemic and not able to get out was rough. Having people be oblivious why I wouldn't want to put my surviving mother (or other people with family members with not great health or on medications that reduce their immune system) at risk is more frustrating than rough.
Stay home if the outside world is so dangerous for you. The world does not revolve around your mother.
No, it doesn't. But that is a pretty stupid observation. No one suggested the Earth revolved around anything but the sun, nor was anyone suggesting that one person should be the basis for America's response to the pandemic.

Your obtuse observation doesn't change the fact that immuno-suppressed people are being demanded by anti-vaxxers to just stop exposing themselves to risk, by not being able to do things like go grocery shopping. Forget movies, restaurants, etc...

Anti-vaxxer "liberty" trumps the liberty of all other Americans.

And of course, we have the impact anti-vaxxers are having on the economy because of their stupidity and how that impacts, well... the entire country.

No, it doesn't. But that is a pretty stupid observation. No one suggested the Earth revolved around anything but the sun, nor was anyone suggesting that one person should be the basis for America's response to the pandemic.

Your obtuse observation doesn't change the fact that immuno-suppressed people are being demanded by anti-vaxxers to just stop exposing themselves to risk, by not being able to do things like go grocery shopping. Forget movies, restaurants, etc...

I'm not worried by "anti-vaxxers", their threat to me is minimal so I get on with life as everyone else should. The immuno-suppressed can stay home and wait it out. The world does not revolve around your mother and the likes.

Anti-vaxxer "liberty" trumps the liberty of all other Americans.

I'm vaccinated, I don't care or worry about "anti-vaxxers" and neither should you, it is irrational. Stay home.

I'm vaccinated, I don't care or worry about "anti-vaxxers" and neither should you, it is irrational. Stay home.
There is 10% chance that your vaccination simply failed and does absolutely nothing for you

Not true. Vaccination confers dramatic benefits even in the case of subsequent infection.

Granted it does nothing for the people who can't be vaccinated at all, or the kids whose parents are depriving them of vaccination. Fuck those guys right, eh TSwizz?

Once again, it has repeatedly been pointed out that viruses mutate. We are now on Delta which it the 5th version.

1. There as the original out of China
  2. There was Alpha out of England
  3. There was Beta out of South Africa
  4. There was Gamma out of Brazil and Japan
  5. There is Delta out of India

There is no reason at all to think that there will not be an Epsilon and Zeta that evolve from the current strain and there is every reason to expect that vaccines that we currently have will have compromised effectiveness as new variants emerge. Already the vaccines made the old way by using dead viruses of earlier variants are significantly less effective against Delta.

There is every reason to believe that those who are vaccinated with Pfizer or Moderna will learn that those vaccines will not be as effective as they currently are against new variants. Even against Delta they are not as effective as they were against earlier variants.

With so many unvaccinated catching Delta which is far more transmissible that Alpha was, producing 1000 times the number of viruses in the body which escape to infect others, an Epsilon is almost guaranteed and no one can consider themselves safe from future variants.

Please try to remember this as your argument above does not account for these simple facts.

Once again, it has repeatedly been pointed out that viruses mutate. We are now on Delta which it the 5th version.

What, like I didn't know that virus change ? You are wasting bandwidth and time on this ?

Please try to remember this as your argument above does not account for these simple facts.

My memory is fine. Please take in to account there are all sorts of risks in life and covid is pretty far down the list for me so I don't worry about it and I'm not going to obsess about it. That's for you, not me.

There is 10% chance that your vaccination simply failed and does absolutely nothing for you

Not true. Vaccination confers dramatic benefits even in the case of subsequent infection.

Granted it does nothing for the people who can't be vaccinated at all, or the kids whose parents are depriving them of vaccination. Fuck those guys right, eh TSwizz?
Alpha yes, Delta much less so.

There is no reason at all to think that there will not be an Epsilon and Zeta that evolve from the current strain and there is every reason to expect that vaccines that we currently have will have compromised effectiveness as new variants emerge. Already the vaccines made the old way by using dead viruses of earlier variants are significantly less effective against Delta.
There are several others, but Delta is king of Covid-19 at the moment, until it mutates into something a bit different. It is too commutable.

There is every reason to believe that those who are vaccinated with Pfizer or Moderna will learn that those vaccines will not be as effective as they currently are against new variants. Even against Delta they are not as effective as they were against earlier variants.

With so many unvaccinated catching Delta which is far more transmissible that Alpha was, producing 1000 times the number of viruses in the body which escape to infect others, an Epsilon is almost guaranteed and no one can consider themselves safe from future variants.

TSwizzle's argument has hitched its cart exclusively to narcissism.

If one is vaccinated, they will contract Delta, they will spread Delta. It will make things worse. But narcissism and all.

I keep forgetting it is death or nothing. Why do you keep asking the same question that has been answered dozens of times.

Mutations, more spread, strain on the health care system. Is this so hard to remember? The CDC is saying this is chicken pox grade contractibility.

Why is your response always centered on narcissism? If Delta gets to the vaccinated, that means those in the health care fields (especially hospitals) are at risk.

I don't think that's true. When vaccinated people get any variant of Covid-19 it's just a common flu.

I'll reformulate the question, what's your arguments for the delta variant being dangerous to the vaccinated? I haven't seen any.

The CDC says that 98 to 99 percent of those dying are not vaccinated. That means that 1 to 2 percent of those dying have been vaccinated.

link
article said:
AdventHealth has elevated its Covid-19 status to "black" due to increased hospitalizations in the Central Florida network. This means that all non-emergency inpatient and outpatient surgeries and procedures will be rescheduled. Time-sensitive pediatric procedures will be carried out with the approval of AdventHealth's chief medical officer.
Unfortunately, this doesn't only affect the unvaccinated. Hopefully this last only a few days. I'm sure it'll sort itself out shortly. I've been assured by others that people should just get over it.

In a less sarcastic bit of info:
article said:
Finkler said that those vaccinated people who end up being hospitalized are there because they have comorbidities that would put them at risk because their immune system is not functioning normally.
But those people die all the time anyway. Pretty much just asking to die with their comorbidities and all. Fuck 'em!

Yup, it scored me pretty much as I expected it would.

They never responded when I pointed out a problem, though--one of the analogy questions had "Tile is to roof" as the first half--which is a perfectly good type-of to me as I live in a house with a concrete tile (commonly called "tile" here) roof.

I'm not sure what you think is a problem here; Most British houses have tiled roofs, and the test is aimed at and written for British people.

They probably couldn't care less about picky Americans who perceive a problem that is entirely due to their being outside the target audience.

Except it scored me wrong for treating it as a type-of analogy.

For immune compromised in areas with access to vaccine and others in areas where there is no vaccine yet, what about having a "covid pack" of medicine to use in case of infection?

Work out with your general practioner a schedule of medication to take and when as the virus goes through its paces.

You're assuming that the doctor has such in the pharmacy. This is an incorrect assumption.

Are you seriously still on this bullshit. It appears Delta is as transmissible as the Measles and the vaccinated can contract it as well. Your argument was bullshit to start with, and we are seeing exactly why people should have immediately been vaccinated to prevent this from occurring. At this point, it appears everyone in the US will now get Covid-19.

Again, so what? Delta isn't going to kill anybody vaccinated. It's spread is so great by now there's no lockdowns that can stop it. If we can't stop it, then why bother slowing it down? Why not let it rip? At this point, what's the benefit to anybody if we manage to slow it down? What's your end goal here?

Because we are once again saturating ICUs with Covid patients.

There have been a lot more variants than this. The letters are only given to the ones that are a substantial increase in the threat.

There have been a lot more variants than this. The letters are only given to the ones that are a substantial increase in the threat.

YES. Last time I read, which was like 3 weeks ago, they were up to Lambda. Lambda is also one of the dangerous ones.

YES. Last time I read, which was like 3 weeks ago, they were up to Lambda. Lambda is also one of the dangerous ones.
But Delta outperforms it, both in transmissibility and in stock options (Wall Street will let anything do an IPO). So the transmissibility can keep Delta the main player over Lambda.

You need to give Scott Morrison a call. Sell him some vaccines, or maybe just try to clue him in about the responsibilities of a national leader during a pandemic.

I've wondered about that. How come Australia sucks so much when it comes to getting their people vaccinated? It's hardly a question of money. Australia is not a poor country.

Our federal government is currently led by a bunch of right-wing religious nuts. Fortunately, the majority of the pandemic response is handled by the states, with the federal government having only two major areas of responsibility - quarantine of international arrivals, and procurement and distribution of vaccines. Unfortunately, they have fucked up both, leaving the states to clean up their mess.

Back
Top Bottom