• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Just one night before, Abbott the moron attended a packed GOP function, massive function at the Republican Club at Heritage Ranch with a bunch of GOP goobers,a packed room with few masks being worn. Go Covid-19 D, go! Teach these morons a lesson.

Just one night before, Abbott the moron attended a packed GOP function, massive function at the Republican Club at Heritage Ranch with a bunch of GOP goobers,a packed room with few masks being worn. Go Covid-19 D, go! Teach these morons a lesson.

Oh gawd how we’ve better so jaded. I’m not judging. Just relating.

I've heard those cards are selling for 450 bucks a piece. The vaccine is free. Morons.

Wouldn't it be funny if they secretly treated the cards so they would spell out "Fraudulent" if viewed under black light?

Especially if valid ones were checked with blacklight.

Distribute the booby-trapped ones for some time before they start checking. Then one day start checking them with the police there to haul off anyone with a fake one.

Yeah, the gas tank exploding into a ball of fire was only a minor flaw. No need to impose over-reaching governmental rules and regulations on something so minor...

It was minor.

I knew perfectly well, when I bought it, that it wasn't as safe as my Dad's massive Ford LTD station wagon. I chose it anyway.
Tom

Sure. Tell that to the 500-900 people who died of burns. BTW, one of the most unpleasant, painful, horrific ways to die.

The Pinto's overall safety record was average. They weren't actually that prone to exploding--the famous video is staged.

Left field question:

Is it possible to supply the whole planet with roughly 4,000 IUs of vitamin D a day, less for kids of course?

From Wikipedia:

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) is produced industrially by exposing 7-dehydrocholesterol to UVB light, followed by purification. The 7-dehydrocholesterol is a natural substance in fish organs, especially the liver, or in wool grease (lanolin) from sheep. Vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol) is produced in a similar way using ergosterol from yeast or mushrooms as a starting material.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D#Use_of_supplements

Also seeing lichens as a source of D2 and D3.

This is the Covid-19 miscellany thread, not the random vitamins thread.

Vitamin D deficiency seems to be associated with worse outcomes from Covid. His question was reasonable.

would the recipe for delta have to go through full testing?

I would get a delta booster but not a wild type booster.

I believe the Delta-specific stuff is still in phase 1. This is the same stuff as before, a second booster seems to increase the immune response.

Left field question:

Is it possible to supply the whole planet with roughly 4,000 IUs of vitamin D a day, less for kids of course?

From Wikipedia:

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) is produced industrially by exposing 7-dehydrocholesterol to UVB light, followed by purification. The 7-dehydrocholesterol is a natural substance in fish organs, especially the liver, or in wool grease (lanolin) from sheep. Vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol) is produced in a similar way using ergosterol from yeast or mushrooms as a starting material.

Vitamin D deficiency seems to be associated with worse outcomes from Covid. His question was reasonable.

No, it wasn't. It was yet more unfounded hint and innuendo, with nothing said explicitly in some kind of dumb effort at plausible deniability for the claims not quite being made.

It's a common disinformation strategy in recent years, and I am heartily sick of it.

Even if Vitamin D were indicated, who the fuck would think supplying supplemental cholecalciferol to the entire world population was a good strategy?

But fuck that question, where's the evidence that vitamin D is even helpful AT ALL?

Ignoring the entire question, as though it were so clearly settled that everyone already understands and agrees with the premise that it is effective, is a fucking weasel way of trying to prevent scrutiny of a half-baked position.

And it's coming from the same poster who uses the same underhand tactics to imply that Jews are behind all the world's financial and political woes, and that Hydroxychloroquine and Ivermectin are sensible mass treatments.

It's a shit question, that is intended to manipulate people into a position the asker cannot reasonably argue openly for, and I am not going to play along with that evil strategy.

Left field question:

From Wikipedia:

Well there is some chicken and egg issue with vitamin d as well, since it needs to be processed first in the liver and then in the kidneys. So being sick might crimp the production and use up what is on board,

What is needed is needed is to track lots of people's vitamin-d before during and after illness.

This is interesting about vitamin d

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fendo.2021.644298/full

Well there is some chicken and egg issue with vitamin d as well, since it needs to be processed first in the liver and then in the kidneys. So being sick might crimp the production and use up what is on board,

What is needed is needed is to track lots of people's vitamin-d before during and after illness.

You are not qualified to say what is or is not needed.

You are not qualified to say what is or is not needed.

That is why I linked a journal article.

And you are not qualified for your cornucopian environmental fantasies.

President Biden to announce that all Nursing Home staff have Vitamin D supplements with zinc.

Ok... not true.

President Biden to announce all Nursing Home staff to be vaccinated if said Nursing Homes want to be paid by Medicare and Medicaid. I imagine nursing homes take in a good deal of revenue from Medicaid. Curious if this would be challenged. A nursing home would be nuts to defy it and have someone die. And the nursing home workers might not be able to fight it as they aren't punished directly by the Government, that'd be the company being sued.

President Biden to announce that all Nursing Home staff have Vitamin D supplements with zinc.

Ok... not true.

President Biden to announce all Nursing Home staff to be vaccinated if said Nursing Homes want to be paid by Medicare and Medicaid. I imagine nursing homes take in a good deal of revenue from Medicaid. Curious if this would be challenged. A nursing home would be nuts to defy it and have someone die. And the nursing home workers might not be able to fight it as they aren't punished directly by the Government, that'd be the company being sued.

It could backfire. Generally when Medicaid is paying for an elderly person at a nursing home they pay only about 1/3 of what a elderly person with money would pay. Nursing homes will take a self-pay over a medicaid patent every time. I heard that there were issues last year where nursing homes were booting medicaid residents when a self-pay person was looking for a room. It should be criminal.

I learned this from my mom's geriatric psychiatrist. My mom may need nursing home soon and he urged me to say up from my mom would be self-pay. It would increase her chances of getting a room quickly by an order of magnitude.

Ok... not true.

It could backfire. Generally when Medicaid is paying for an elderly person at a nursing home they pay only about 1/3 of what a elderly person with money would pay. Nursing homes will take a self-pay over a medicaid patent every time. I heard that there were issues last year where nursing homes were booting medicaid residents when a self-pay person was looking for a room. It should be criminal.

I learned this from my mom's geriatric psychiatrist. My mom may need nursing home soon and he urged me to say up from my mom would be self-pay. It would increase her chances of getting a room quickly by an order of magnitude.
How many people can afford to pay for a nursing home though, for any sustained period of time?

Ok... not true.

How many people can afford to pay for a nursing home though, for any sustained period of time?

There are a number of insurance programs available, plus you sell off the house you won't be using, the car it's not safe to drive, etc. The kids don't inherit the estate, but they also don't inherit as much debt.

There are a number of insurance programs available, plus you sell off the house you won't be using, the car it's not safe to drive, etc. The kids don't inherit the estate, but they also don't inherit as much debt.
All I know if my Grandmother had money, and a pension... and there was nothing left after her several year stay at a nursing home after her accident. I know my parents couldn't afford it for more than a year maybe. I doubt they are alone.

No, it wasn't. It was yet more unfounded hint and innuendo, with nothing said explicitly in some kind of dumb effort at plausible deniability for the claims not quite being made.

It's a common disinformation strategy in recent years, and I am heartily sick of it.

Even if Vitamin D were indicated, who the fuck would think supplying supplemental cholecalciferol to the entire world population was a good strategy?

But fuck that question, where's the evidence that vitamin D is even helpful AT ALL?

Ignoring the entire question, as though it were so clearly settled that everyone already understands and agrees with the premise that it is effective, is a fucking weasel way of trying to prevent scrutiny of a half-baked position.

And it's coming from the same poster who uses the same underhand tactics to imply that Jews are behind all the world's financial and political woes, and that Hydroxychloroquine and Ivermectin are sensible mass treatments.

It's a shit question, that is intended to manipulate people into a position the asker cannot reasonably argue openly for, and I am not going to play along with that evil strategy.

Vitamin D isn't a treatment. If you have normal levels of D taking more isn't going to do squat against Covid. Vitamin D deficiency does appear to be a risk factor for worse outcomes.

However, a lot of people are deficient.

Reactions: jab

Ok... not true.

What should be criminal is Medicaid demanding nursing homes accept payment far below cost. And then saying that if the patient is there they can't be kicked out when the money runs out and now the nursing home takes a loss on them every month.

Back
Top Bottom