• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Sure. Tell that to the 500-900 people who died of burns. BTW, one of the most unpleasant, painful, horrific ways to die.

The Pinto was a good car, for the money. As a result, it was very popular and Ford sold millions of them. It was built for about 8 years. Any idea how many people died ugly deaths during those 8 years driving other models?

Do you ever wonder how different American fuel consumption patterns might have been if people like Ralph Nader hadn't scared American buyers away from small, fuel efficient, cars?
Tom

Nah, I wonder why Ford couldn’t be assed to design a small,fuel efficient car that didn’t explode into flames.

They did.

Were you aware of what was going on in America in the 70s? Or the automotive market?

Nevermind. Let's go back to the topic.
Tom

The constitution says the government's job is to protect life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. If some plague rat interferes with that and spreads deadly disease throughout the community, that's a failure of government.

The constitution says the government's job is to protect life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. If some plague rat interferes with that and spreads deadly disease throughout the community, that's a failure of government.

That's the Declaration of Independence.

The preamble to the US Constitution says.

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

The DOI is a statement about human rights from the same group of people who wrote it then won their independence and then ratified the Constitution.

Did they abandon their ideals after they won the war?

Or are the principles universal and eternal in the new nation?

The DOI is a statement about human rights from the same group of people who wrote it then won their independence and then ratified the Constitution.

I fail to see the conflict?

Nah, I wonder why Ford couldn’t be assed to design a small,fuel efficient car that didn’t explode into flames.

They did.

Were you aware of what was going on in America in the 70s? Or the automotive market?

Nevermind. Let's go back to the topic.
Tom

I confess to not being much of a car person but sure, I’m aware. I’m not sure what your complaint is then? You’re upset that the pinto was recalled/discontinued because it wasn’t a problem for you personally that hundreds of people died horrible deaths because of a flaw in the design?

Well, I mean, while enslaving other humans…

A good question. I mean, “all men are created equal” except the 3/5ths ones? I feel like a case could be made for, “yeah”?

They were clearly NOT universal.

Notwithstanding above, “promote the general welfare” is the main point here.

It sounds like u are trying to start an argument with me. I corrected a statement. Nothing more.

Left field question:

Is it possible to supply the whole planet with roughly 4,000 IUs of vitamin D a day, less for kids of course?

From Wikipedia:

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) is produced industrially by exposing 7-dehydrocholesterol to UVB light, followed by purification. The 7-dehydrocholesterol is a natural substance in fish organs, especially the liver, or in wool grease (lanolin) from sheep. Vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol) is produced in a similar way using ergosterol from yeast or mushrooms as a starting material.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D#Use_of_supplements

Also seeing lichens as a source of D2 and D3.

Left field question:

Is it possible to supply the whole planet with roughly 4,000 IUs of vitamin D a day, less for kids of course?

From Wikipedia:

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) is produced industrially by exposing 7-dehydrocholesterol to UVB light, followed by purification. The 7-dehydrocholesterol is a natural substance in fish organs, especially the liver, or in wool grease (lanolin) from sheep. Vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol) is produced in a similar way using ergosterol from yeast or mushrooms as a starting material.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D#Use_of_supplements

Also seeing lichens as a source of D2 and D3.

This is the Covid-19 miscellany thread, not the random vitamins thread.

I fail to see the conflict?

Some say citizens don't have a right to life. Because it is not in the Constitution.

A universal healthcare system is the only kind of system that recognizes that all humans have the equal right to life.

It sounds like u are trying to start an argument with me. I corrected a statement. Nothing more.

I am asking questions.

That is not the same thing as starting an argument.

Accusing me, from thin air, of trying to start an argument is how you start an argument.

We aren't seeing breakthrough infections of Delta with people that did have Covid-19, are we? This in no way supports a 'lets infect everyone to save everyone from getting infected', but the primary concern to me a few months ago was how long the vaccine would work... how long the natural immunity would hold. And right now, the vaccine appears to be fading, while there doesn't appear to be evidence that this is happening with natural immunity, at least yet.

Certainly, the vaccine is working on preventing serious illness extraordinarily well, so even though there are breakthroughs, the vaccine is working. But if natural immunity were not as good, I would expect breakthroughs for Covid-19 people, and that might show up soon or down the road, but it isn't here yet.

I honestly don't know the answer to that question. I did find this:

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/can-you-get-delta-variant-if-you-already-had-covid-19

It seems that some studies have shown that infection rates from Delta seem to be similar between people who have been previously vaccinated and those who have previously been ill with COVID19.

The recommendation remains that if you've had COVID, you should get vaccinated with 2 doses of an mRNA vaccine such as Pfizer or Moderna because different people mount and maintain different levels of antibodies from infection and it is unknown how long those antibodies will persist.

I wish there were better information.

Nasal vaccines hopefully coming soon and also very powerful treatment of (longer lasting immune response) covid infection. Treatment with off-label, generic medicines without threatening to pull medical licenses unless an RCT is done on said cheap generic drugs which no one will fund. So nothing gets done in a time frame that matters.

Wanna try colchicine on your patients? Fuck you, and we will hold your medical license under threat.

This is from the NIH

https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/therapies/immunomodulators/colchicine/

Colchicine is an anti-inflammatory drug that is used to treat a variety of conditions, including gout, recurrent pericarditis, and familial Mediterranean fever.1 Recently, the drug has been shown to potentially reduce the risk of cardiovascular events in those with coronary artery disease.2 Colchicine has several potential mechanisms of action, including mechanisms that reduce the chemotaxis of neutrophils, inhibit inflammasome signaling, and decrease the production of cytokines such as interleukin-1 beta.3 When colchicine is administered early in the course of COVID-19, these mechanisms may mitigate or prevent inflammation-associated manifestations of the disease. These anti-inflammatory properties (as well as the drug’s limited immunosuppressive potential, widespread availability, and favorable safety profile) have prompted investigation of colchicine for the treatment of COVID-19.

However:

Recommendations

There is insufficient evidence for the COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines Panel (the Panel) to recommend either for or against the use of colchicine for the treatment of nonhospitalized patients with COVID-19.
The Panel recommends against the use of colchicine for the treatment of hospitalized patients with COVID-19 (AI).

So, a treatment that even has a mechanism of action is verboten? Maybe some similar new shiny expensive drug that is half as effective will be approved in 6 months after its clinical trial sliced and diced the data like for remdemsivir.

Who here if they had extra colchicine laying about for a gout flareup would NOT even consider taking it in the case where they were sure they had covid?

Okay, so white-supremos can take a multi-vitamin and be in the control group.

I'm not sure you're familiar with their ideals, or who you think that they considered humans.

The famous line "All men are created equal" was written by a hugely wealthy slave owner. He scrubbed abolitionism from the Declaration of Independence(that he'd written) because pragmatic Traitors to the Crown knew that their Secession would fail without the southern slave owners.

What do you think that the ideals of the Founding Fathers actually were?
Tom

Catholic Cardinal Raymond Leo Burke, who spread anti-Covid vaccine and misinformation like control chips being planted under the skin, is now on a ventilator after being diagnosed with Covid. He's asking for prayers.

He worships a fickle god.

link to Cardinal story.

article said:
In May 2020, Burke spoke at the Rome Life Forum and said "Vaccination itself cannot be imposed in a totalitarian manner on citizens. When the state takes on such a practice, it violates the integrity of its citizens. While the state can provide reasonable regulations for the safeguarding of health, it is not the ultimate one, it is not the ultimate provider of health, God is. Whatever the state proposes must respect God and His law."
Odd, God is the ultimate provider of health, yet he went to a hospital instead of a church.

Okay, so white-supremos can take a multi-vitamin and be in the control group.

Yep. They can take their zinc, Vitamin D, malaria drugs, and de-wormer and hang out with Phil Valentine.

Should the following two groups of people consider taking off labels drugs with a modicum of evidence of effectiveness and a mechanism of action?

People who have not been able to get a vaccine yet in their area and people who have been vaccinated and still got covid.

Treatments for covid not linked to the same people who think that the vaccine is a 5g antenna are not all crazy. I was linking the NIH for fucks sake, not Infowars.

Also, I have been vaccinated myself.

Back
Top Bottom