• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Wait. So, reading a paper’s title isn’t enough these days?? We have to read the abstract, too??? You people are never satisfied.

Reports are that this video has convinced some to get the shots.

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/ThOyyQjC0aY[/YOUTUBE]

When will the medical community learn to quiet their machines??

Yes, they need the ability to alert their operators to a problem, but those operators also need to have the ability to tell the machine "yes, you were heard. Shut up." Too many alarms mean additional alarms will be lost in the noise.

I'm thinking back 30 years ago, she was coming out of anesthesia and the monitor was having a hard time reading her heartbeat. Normally you have the soft beeping, but sometimes the beep didn't beep--clearly the machine failing to read it, not any actual medical issue. One missing beep, no issue. I'm not sure how many missing beeps it took before it started that high squeal we've all encountered on TV. Then it would find a beep and go back to soft beeping. Again and again and again. And there were others in the recovery room that had the same issue. How easy would it be for a real problem to go missed amongst those noises?

The aeronautical engineers have learned--airplanes won't keep on miking obnoxious noise unless they're falling out of the sky. The systems screaming interfere with the pilot trying to get their crippled bird down in one piece.

Louisiana, required testing????

Who said required? It wasn't me.
Tom

If it wasn't required why would there be a bunch of tests of asymptomatic schoolkids in Louisiana?

There are ways of manipulating school children other than force.

For awhile, here, requiring children to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, at the beginning of the school day, was under the gun. A simple compromise was worked out.
Children who didn't want to be good citizens were given the option of sitting on the floor facing the wall just outside the classroom during the Pledge.

Freedom for all.
Tom

If it wasn't required why would there be a bunch of tests of asymptomatic schoolkids in Louisiana?

For awhile, here, requiring children to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, at the beginning of the school day, was under the gun. A simple compromise was worked out.
Children who didn't want to be good citizens were given the option of sitting on the floor facing the wall just outside the classroom during the Pledge.

Freedom for all.
Tom

Risking a derail, saying the PoA or NOT saying the PoA has nothing to do with being a good citizen. There are many things wrong with the PoA. For one there is not liberty and justice for all. We know that there are a great many systemic issues that make unequal liberty and justice. That part of the PoA is a lie. For second, where does the government get off claiming a god exists? I'd claim that refusing the ritual of indoctrination says more about being a good citizen than repeating it without even thinking. The PoA is largely a lie.

Can you think of any other country but perhaps North Korea where kids would be expected to make a loyalty pledge every day?

If anybody thinks doctors would put aside any drug that would help with this they are crazy.

But no single study proves the safety and efficacy of anything.

To get a drug approved you need to go through three phases which usually means many studies and many years of work.

The FDA typically requires Phase I, II, and III trials to be conducted to determine if the drug can be approved for use.

https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/what-are-clinical-trials-and-studies

this wasn't quite what happened with the Covid-19 vaccines. . . .

Freedom for all.
Tom
I bet those people storming the Capitol on Jan 6 said the pledge of allegiance as schoolchildren.

Freedom for all.
Tom
I bet those people storming the Capitol on Jan 6 said the pledge of allegiance as schoolchildren.

And would force others to in the process

[TWEET]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Woman starts following girl through a grocery store coughing on her. <a href="https://t.co/OV4U67a85t">pic.twitter.com/OV4U67a85t</a></p>— Dallas (@59dallas) <a href="https://twitter.com/59dallas/status/1435171334611423233?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 7, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/TWEET]..

Being kind, she's a selfish ignorant piece of shit.

I believe her employer fired her once this video got out.

"They forced me to look after my health because I was too stupid to do it for myself! The fascists!"

"They forced me to behave in a way that helped protect many other individuals' lives and health--the fascists!"

(ivermectin for scabies...)
scabies is caused by a parasitic mite--and ivermectin, I believe, is used for other parasites besides intestinal worms.
I researched this issue, and ivermectin attacks arthropods and nematodes, though not tapeworms.

Arthropods are "insects" in a broad sense, as opposed to the strict six-legged sense.

A taxonomy of what ivermectin is recommended for attacking:

The nematodes:
  • Rhabditida: (Strongylidae: (Strongylus spp., Strongyloides spp., Oesophagostomum spp.), Trichostrongylidae: (Trichostrongylus spp., Haemonchus spp., Nematodirus spp., Ostertagia ostertagi), Oxyuridae: Oxyuris spp., Habronematidae: Habronema muscae, Dictyocaulidae: Dictyocaulus spp., Cooperiidae: Cooperia spp., Chabertiidae: Chabertia ovina, Onchocercidae: (Dirofilaria immitis, Onchocerca volvulus), Syngamidae: Syngamus trachea, Filarioidea)
  • Ascaridida: Ascarididae
  • Chromadorea: (Rhabditida, Ascaridida)
  • Enoplea: (Trichocephalida: Trichuridae: Trichuris ovis, Enoplida: Capillariidae: (Capillaria spp., Pseudocapillaria tomentosa))
Checking on  Nematode, Chromadorea and Enoplea are two of the three immediate subtaxa of Nematoda.

The arthropods:
  • Diptera: (Oestridae -- botflies, Muscidae: Haematobia irritans -- horn fly)
  • Insecta: (Phthiraptera -- lice, Diptera)
  • Copepoda: Caligidae -- sea lice
  • Mandibulata: Pancrustacea: (Insecta, Copepoda)
  • Chelicerata: Arachnida: Acari -- ticks, mites
Checking in  Arthropod, Mandibulata and Chelicerata are the two immediate subtaxa of Arthropoda.

Turning to species that can safely accept ivermectin for attacking their unwanted arthropods and nematodes, they span Osteichthyes, bony fish and tetrapods. I couldn't find much about sharks and rays (Chondrichthyes), however. Avoiding overdoses is a problem for many of them, however.

Some more research: Experience in the Ivermectin Treatment of Internal Parasites in Zoo and Captive Wild Animals: A Review - ScienceDirect

Being a dictator is being an asshole.

Not letting deluded dangerous children harm others is not being a dictator.

Stopping your child from walking into traffic is not being a dictator.

So if the dictator makes decrees you agree with he's not a dictator. That's another part of your pro-government totalitarian anarchism.

So the man who stops his child from walking into traffic is a dictator?

You are clueless.

Poor analogy, since an adult is not a child.

If anybody thinks doctors would put aside any drug that would help with this they are crazy.

But no single study proves the safety and efficacy of anything.

To get a drug approved you need to go through three phases which usually means many studies and many years of work.

The FDA typically requires Phase I, II, and III trials to be conducted to determine if the drug can be approved for use.

https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/what-are-clinical-trials-and-studies

this wasn't quite what happened with the Covid-19 vaccines. . . .

It's called 'emergency use' and it does require safety studies.

And now that isn't an excuse anymore.

You are clueless.

Poor analogy, since an adult is not a child.

In the analogy I am saying we have a bunch of adults acting like children.

When that is the case the real adults have to take their hand and help them cross the street.

Your response,
Very much this. I do see young people as different from adults. Artificially tweaking their developing bodies isn't the same as doing so to a fully developed adult. They have so much life ahead of them. Using extra care before giving them such a shot makes very good sense to me. We have decades of experience with other immunizations, like polio and rubella and tetanus and such. That's just not true of this one. I'm fine with CDC recommendations on the subject.
however, left that inference open. That is, your sloppy thought provided the straw.

Nah.
Your lack of reading comprehension and sloppy thinking led you to post a demonstrably false strawman.
Tom

More straw from you.

Why am I getting "George Floyd" vibes from LPs position on this? "He would have died anyways", as if the thing that apparently killed him wasn't entirely preventable and the product of continuing human decisions

I think this is a case of the news going for an angle whether it's relevant or not.

The fact that they had to look at so many hospitals to find an ICU bed is relevant. However, I doubt it caused his death. I have seen actual doctors express the same opinion elsewhere.

sources please?

I'll quote the Republican-Congress part in full:

Seems very familiar, doesn't it?

That's just a parody right? Like, reframing the behavior of today in the vein of WW2's context instead of the pandemic?

I'm vibrating at Poe's Law frequencies right now.
It is a parody.

Before Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor, there was a sizable America First movement. But a few days after that attack, that movement disbanded. There was only one person who voted against declaring war on Japan: Rep. Jeannette Rankin of Montana. She did so out of pacifist principle. She had earlier voted against entering WWI, and near the end of her life, she wanted to run for Congress so she could vote against the Vietnam War.

I'm really glad I looked up Jeannette Rankin, and smacked myself for going nearly six decades without knowing who she was. What a class act. I note that she ran as a progressive in 1916:

[7] She ran as a progressive, emphasizing her support of suffrage, social welfare, and prohibition.[3][18]
- Wikipedia.

Also noted she was a Republican. My how that party has changed.

While I do not agree with her position on pacifism (or prohibition, for that matter), I do admire it. And I admire her courage, in having made up her mind and in sticking to it, despite a ton of rebuke.

While her action was widely ridiculed in the press, Progressive leader William Allen White, writing in the Kansas Emporia Gazette, acknowledged her courage in taking it:

Probably a hundred men in Congress would have liked to do what she did. Not one of them had the courage to do it. The Gazette entirely disagrees with the wisdom of her position. But Lord, it was a brave thing! And its bravery someway discounted its folly. When, in a hundred years from now, courage, sheer courage based upon moral indignation is celebrated in this country, the name of Jeannette Rankin, who stood firm in folly for her faith, will be written in monumental bronze, not for what she did, but for the way she did it.[43]
- Wikipedia

*Didn't realize the pic was so large; didn't want to slow down the scrollage.

Last edited:

False analogy is false.

Quite a reasoned comeback.

We take these little children and make getting the vaccine in their interest because they are too stupid to do it for themselves.

We protect society from these deluded children at the same time.

Let us assume that your analogy holds.

In your relationship with other adults, you see yourself as the adult and them as children who desperately need you to protect them from themselves.

That is the viewpoint of a dictator.

Quite a reasoned comeback.

We take these little children and make getting the vaccine in their interest because they are too stupid to do it for themselves.

We protect society from these deluded children at the same time.

Let us assume that your analogy holds.

In your relationship with other adults, you see yourself as the adult and them as children who desperately need you to protect them from themselves.

That is the viewpoint of a dictator.

Yes.

You see helping some blind old man cross the road safely as being a dictator.

You are not rational.

Schools have mandated vaccines for a long time.

It is only in the crazy age of Trumpism where doing everything to protect society from insane overgrown and dangerous children is seen as a problem.

Back
Top Bottom