• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Texas Gov Abbott bans all vaccine mandates even for businesses in Texas. Is that the conservative thing to do? No. It's how to kill as many people as possible but also fire-up those unvaccinated who have not been killed to continue to vote for republicans, to ruin the economy and the lives of others all the while being able to blame Biden for not getting Covid under control which is required for the economy to get fixed.

I wonder how Biden's mandate for companies 100+ will mesh with this.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/11/politics/texas-vaccine-mandate-greg-abbott/index.html
https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/12/politics/greg-abbott-texas-law-vaccines-covid-19/index.html

See the supremacy clause of the constitution for the answer.

Ya that applies to laws. Don't know about executive orders. And then if Texas passes a law, will a Biden executive order still win?
It isn't an executive order as much as an OSHA requirement.

GOP, we believe that people have the right to make all the wrong decisions, and when anyone tries to make a right one, we'll block them any and every way we can.

A version of this story is on the Boston Globe. I won't link to it because it's pay-walled. But they allow comments and this one struck me

Texas, where a virus has more reproductive rights than a woman.

I apologize if this has already been posted. A nice article with links to studies regarding medications OTC and prescription and their links to aborted fetal cell lines. Including dewormer.

Texas Gov Abbott bans all vaccine mandates even for businesses in Texas. Is that the conservative thing to do? No. It's how to kill as many people as possible but also fire-up those unvaccinated who have not been killed to continue to vote for republicans, to ruin the economy and the lives of others all the while being able to blame Biden for not getting Covid under control which is required for the economy to get fixed.

I wonder how Biden's mandate for companies 100+ will mesh with this.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/11/politics/texas-vaccine-mandate-greg-abbott/index.html
https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/12/politics/greg-abbott-texas-law-vaccines-covid-19/index.html

See the supremacy clause of the constitution for the answer.

Ya that applies to laws. Don't know about executive orders. And then if Texas passes a law, will a Biden executive order still win?

Biden said vaccine mandate or test. Texas says no vaccine mandate. Thus companies can go with testing, there's no irresolvable conflict and thus I don't think it's a case of fed trumps state.

Florida fines county $3.5 million for enforcing vaccine passports

The Florida Health Department has levied a $3.5 million fine against Leon County for violating the state's ban on vaccine passports.

The county was in "blatant violation of the law," the state Health Department said in a statement, outlining a fine of $3,570,000 because the Leon County government had required employees to provide documentation of their Covid-19 vaccination and ultimately terminated 14 people for their refusal or failure to comply. The department noted "714 counts" in violation of the ban.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis had cited freedom and privacy concerns as the primary basis for his vaccine passport ban in April, and later vowed to fine counties and cities in the state in violation of it. The fines underscore the Republican governor's broad resistance to the public health measures and mandates that experts say are key to curbing the pandemic and preventing future outbreaks.

Florida fines county $3.5 million for enforcing vaccine passports

The Florida Health Department has levied a $3.5 million fine against Leon County for violating the state's ban on vaccine passports.

The county was in "blatant violation of the law," the state Health Department said in a statement, outlining a fine of $3,570,000 because the Leon County government had required employees to provide documentation of their Covid-19 vaccination and ultimately terminated 14 people for their refusal or failure to comply. The department noted "714 counts" in violation of the ban.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis had cited freedom and privacy concerns as the primary basis for his vaccine passport ban in April, and later vowed to fine counties and cities in the state in violation of it. The fines underscore the Republican governor's broad resistance to the public health measures and mandates that experts say are key to curbing the pandemic and preventing future outbreaks.

Health inspector at the rural Coffee shop where then guns are as cold as the coffee and the talk is frenetically semi-detached from urban colonialism and free: cough cough cough sneeze, spittle." yeah this soup is fine folks have some"

Looking at a Boston Globe story, in Massachusetts:

Seventy-five percent of adults in Massachusetts support a universal vaccine mandate, while 81 percent support a vaccine mandate for people getting on planes, 71 percent support one for kids going back to school, and 78 percent support one for students going to college, according to the research released last week by the COVID-19 Consortium for Understanding the Public’s Policy Preferences Across States.

Lots of breakdowns by all states and various demographics.

I conclude that college educated Asian American Democrats in Massachusetts are the least stupid people.

Data sourced from here: https://osf.io/9ac3d/ It looks strange but it's safe.

This link has that and other surveys https://covidstates.org/

The link immediately above opens to this map. Massachusetts is the clear winner in least stupid.

Vaccine Mandate approval.jpg

It looks like even the average Texan is less stupid than their Governor.

This is really getting me conspiratorially paranoid

They don't want you healthy. Otherwise the "experts" would promote proper diet and exercise. Anything that dissuades from the fascist government plan to force people to take a private product must be stopped.

Kyrie Irving picking an odd hill to fight for.
article said:
Speaking about the issue on Instagram Live on Wednesday, Irving said: "Do what's best for you, but I am not an advocate for either side.

"I am doing what's best for me.

"I know the consequences here, and if it means that I'm judged and demonised for that, that's just what it is, that's the role I play."
Actually, in not getting vaccinated, you are an advocate for Covid-19. That is the truth, not demonization.

Joe Rogan talked with Dr. Sanjay Gupta, here is what we learned.

Joe Rogan isn't a doctor.
Joe Rogan has no education in the field of medicine.
Joe Rogan isn't licensed to provide medical treatment.
Joe Rogan's comments are as valid as medical advice provided in a fortune cookie.

They don't want you healthy. Otherwise the "experts" would promote proper diet and exercise. Anything that dissuades from the fascist government plan to force people to take a private product must be stopped.

Yeah man. All the red staters that are refusing the covid vaccine are all about health and fitness. I'm sure some of them take their Alex Jones megaman vitamins though.

I find it very interesting how the alternative medicine (Joe Mercola, Mike Adams/NaturalNews, et al.) grifter snakeoil salesmen have taken such a hard right turn in the last decade.

"I am doing what's best for me."
I would love to see his list of pros and cons to determine the best in his interest.
Ah, well, it's not like his choices could possibly affect anyone else in a hopefully-sold-out venue.

The alt-right was shitting their pants when First Lady Michelle Obama suggested children having fruit for dessert. Don't give me this healthy lifestyle bullshit. That has to be one of the most disingenuous arguments the alt-right is providing now. If the Government punished people for being overweight, the alt-right would be up in arms... literally.

The paper about Aspirin and Covid was published in March 2021. Maybe you should ask why jpost is just now putting out that story to coincide with the new recommendation about daily aspirin therapy.

Oh, here's a relevant abstract from that paper.

Results: Four hundred twelve patients were included in the study. Three hundred fourteen patients (76.3%) did not receive aspirin, while 98 patients (23.7%) received aspirin within 24 hours of admission or 7 days before admission. Aspirin use had a crude association with less mechanical ventilation (35.7% aspirin versus 48.4% nonaspirin, P = .03) and ICU admission (38.8% aspirin versus 51.0% nonaspirin, P = .04), but no crude association with in-hospital mortality (26.5% aspirin versus 23.2% nonaspirin, P = .51). After adjusting for 8 confounding variables, aspirin use was independently associated with decreased risk of mechanical ventilation (adjusted HR, 0.56, 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.37-0.85, P = .007), ICU admission (adjusted HR, 0.57, 95% CI, 0.38-0.85, P = .005), and in-hospital mortality (adjusted HR, 0.53, 95% CI, 0.31-0.90, P = .02). There were no differences in major bleeding (P = .69) or overt thrombosis (P = .82) between aspirin users and nonaspirin users.

Conclusions: Aspirin use may be associated with improved outcomes in hospitalized COVID-19 patients. However, a sufficiently powered randomized controlled trial is needed to assess whether a causal relationship exists between aspirin use and reduced lung injury and mortality in COVID-19 patients.

It was in a journal called Anesthesia and Analgesia and not a journal dealing specifically with virology and epidemiology. So do you know of any followup studies that deal with the issue of sample size, control, and statistical power that this paper has? I think it is a great idea but where are the followup studies and why is jpost just now putting out something about this old preliminary review?

Joe Rogan talked with Dr. Sanjay Gupta, here is what we learned.

Joe Rogan isn't a doctor.
Joe Rogan has no education in the field of medicine.
Joe Rogan isn't licensed to provide medical treatment.
Joe Rogan's comments are as valid as medical advice provided in a fortune cookie.

Good thing Dr Gupta went on his show or we might never have learned these things about Joe!

The alt-right was shitting their pants when First Lady Michelle Obama suggested children having fruit for dessert. Don't give me this healthy lifestyle bullshit. That has to be one of the most disingenuous arguments the alt-right is providing now. If the Government punished people for being overweight, the alt-right would be up in arms... literally.

I once ate too many apricots as a kid and shit my pants, so its not an unfounded fear. :) As I recall, the people who shit their pants (figuratively, anyway) from Mrs. Obama's lunch edict were the kids themselves. They even wrote their own song and the video became a bit of a sensation back in the day.

Back
Top Bottom