• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

So, it now transpires that everyone who was at my house on Christmas Day has contracted some form of covid, another two positive this afternoon. And every person in attendance was vaccinated twice and most had a recent booster. So this obsession with vaccine passports and masks should stop. It does hee-haw to “stop or slow the spread”. Time for the control freaks to do one.
You logic is flawed. And toward what end? To make things worse for everyone.

My logic(?) is fine, someone who was vaccinated had the covid and I contracted it from them.

We’ve seen the vaccine and booster decreases the chance of spread.

Are you not following in the news? Vaccinated people are catching the covid all over the place and vaccinated people can and do spread it.

Your comments on masks, as noted by Angra, is completely misleading because you didn’t use masks, so you can’t demonstrate anything about them.

There is no evidence to show that masks work so you can stop going on about it.

You don’t mention whether you asked everyone to be tested before arriving which is recommended, available and very useful.

I did not ask everyone to be tested. And getting tested 'aint that easy where I am. There is a severe shortage of self tests and getting booked in for a test takes a few days.

You could have stopped that spread, but instead you are posting misleading information to attempt to make other people less vigilant, calling the measures useless.

What's misleading about: Out of my party of 11, 11 are covid positive? And who here is going to read what I post and decide to to be less vigilant? Who?

What we do know is that every spread of the virus, and every ongoing case, is a chance for the next variant to emerge, just like Delta did, just like Omicron did. And the next variant could be better, or it could be much much worse. And you gleefully promote that unnecessary game of chance.

Life is a game of chance and I will not live my life jumping at my own shadow. You stay home if you like.

You are sitting there preaching that if they are not 100% effective, you should not have to do any of them. Which is absolutely achingly stupid logic. Your Christmas party story is a demonstration on how to spread covid by ignoring recommended measures. How to increase risk for your family and your community.

I'm not preaching anything. I'm informing you what happened to me and how I react to these circumstances. If anyone is preaching it is you and I can't think why because you know my record. I do what I know is right for me. And it appears plenty of people agree with me, not on here of course but did you see the New Years celebrations? Vegas was rammed. And I plan on going to Vegas this month too.

Right now I have been home isolating since my first positive test on the 29th. I took another test today and I was positive so I will have to stay home a bit longer. Symptoms are very mild, slight coughing occasionally. Feel pretty ok actually.

Looks like India is about to have a spike in infections.
Meanwhile numbers are dropping suspiciously fast in Russia. I wonder how low it will drop before omicron starts spreading.

At this point I think there are only a few countries in the world that have a good picture of where they stand on Covid & Omicron.

Vaccines help.
Boosters help.
Masks help.
Testing helps.
Social distancing helps.
Cleaning hands and surfaces helps.
Isolation when positive helps.

None of those is 100% effective. But together they are much more effective.

This. Add one more to your list: Lockdown.

The last 6 of this combined list is enough to stop anything less than Delta cold--we've seen it in China. There were repeated oopses, the government would swoop in and stop it before it spread. The Rt was well below 1, it would die out. Whether this will work against Omicron remains to be seen, though--they have no meaningful vaccination over there.

Vaccines help.
Boosters help.
Masks help.
Testing helps.
Social distancing helps.
Cleaning hands and surfaces helps.
Isolation when positive helps.

None of those is 100% effective. But together they are much more effective.

This. Add one more to your list: Lockdown.

The last 6 of this combined list is enough to stop anything less than Delta cold--we've seen it in China. There were repeated oopses, the government would swoop in and stop it before it spread. The Rt was well below 1, it would die out. Whether this will work against Omicron remains to be seen, though--they have no meaningful vaccination over there.
What do you mean no meaningful vaccination?

Over 83.6% of the population have been fully vaccinated according to Our World in Data.

I'm not sure how many got boosters, or whether full vaccination involves 2 or 3 doses in the case of the least effective vaccines, but still, that looks like a considerable amount of vaccines.

Russia isn’t known as the gold standard for transparency, but they reported the delta wave. I’d be more likely to believe Russia lacked the infrastructure to accurately report an omicron spike.
Still better than Florida :)

Meanwhile drop of almost 2000 in one day. It drops faster than exponentially.
Could be counting fluke related to the New Year celebration somehow.
Regardless, It would be nice to have it dropped to almost zero before omicron.

Looks like India is about to have a spike in infections.
Meanwhile numbers are dropping suspiciously fast in Russia. I wonder how low it will drop before omicron starts spreading.

How would you know if omicron was spreading? Is there a rigorous testing program in Russia?
Omicron expands exponentially. So Russia will know when it is there. Germany and Russia are seeing drops in Delta waves.
Germany have something which looks like a beginning of a spike.
Omicron cases in Russia were in people, I mean idiots, returning from France and other omicron cesspool countries. Neighboring countries with large hard to control traffic are OK for now,

Omicron cases in Russia were in people, I mean idiots, returning from France and other omicron cesspool countries.

Ah yes, as usual. Pure and clean Russia, contaminated by plague rats from The West.
As always.

Pandemic? What pandemic?

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who has long been an advocate for mask-wearing during the pandemic was spotted partying in Miami on Sunday without a face covering altogether as she socialized with actor Billy Porter. The New York congresswoman who has been in Miami since before the new year, appeared to be continuing her vacation in the Sunshine State at a packed drag bar event in the city.

Daily Mail

Pandemic? What pandemic?
That thing that will spike around 1 million cases in a day and hospitalization rates past or approaching previous peak.
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who has long been an advocate for mask-wearing during the pandemic was spotted partying in Miami on Sunday without a face covering altogether as she socialized with actor Billy Porter. The New York congresswoman who has been in Miami since before the new year, appeared to be continuing her vacation in the Sunshine State at a packed drag bar event in the city.

Daily Mail
Sounds like a stupid thing to do. Weren't you bitching about wearing masks anyway? You two should hang out.

Pandemic? What pandemic?

Daily Mail

Meh, still nothing she couldn't do in NYC, which is the argument, that she had to travel to FL to be able to do these activities maskless. But I would say it's not a safe practice even if allowed, not good leadership.

Yes, the antivaxxer others are plague rats. It's not complicated.

When AOC does it, it’s not a safe practice. When the “other” do it, plague rats.
You are under the delusion that we worship at the alter of AOC. That is a right-wing fantasy.

Personally, I've yet to go to AOC's Twitter account to figure out best practices for the Covid-19 pandemic.

It should be noted is a short defense, that she does support vaccination. Instead of the vaccinated right-wing media personalities that publicly encourage people not to get vaccinated.

One of the things here is that conservatives are screaming that AOC is a hypocrite that she has "rules for thee not for me," etc. But interestingly, if you look closely at the words, they keep saying she was "at" a bar. Note the word "at" is not the word "in." She was outside with her boyfriend/husband and later on outside at a drag bar. There was a tent-like roof with tables and chairs but no walls. So there was open air flow. In NYC, there is no mandate stating people have to mask up when outside, but moreover, this is exactly what conservatives have been screaming about in other instances: that crazy liberals are masking up when outside. So, she's actually being kind of reasonably moderate--for wearing masks inside but not wearing them outside. But, conservatives are screaming she is for "mask mandates" but is not wearing a mask missing the exact nuance they scream about in other instances. Isn't that weird??

So here is some context, from back in May:
"Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez says she will continue to wear a face mask despite being fully vaccinated because 'NYC got hit so hard that I think some of us are going to take time adjusting as we feel comfortable.'​
Ocasio-Cortez, a progressive Democrat from New York, told her followers on Instagram that 'if you want to keep wearing your mask then do it.'​
'Personally I'm going to keep wearing my mask in shared indoor public spaces like elevators, subway, grocery store, etc.,' she said."​

One of the things here is that conservatives are screaming that AOC is a hypocrite that she has "rules for thee not for me," etc. But interestingly, if you look closely at the words, they keep saying she was "at" a bar. Note the word "at" is not the word "in." She was outside with her boyfriend/husband and later on outside at a drag bar. There was a tent-like roof with tables and chairs but no walls. So there was open air flow. In NYC, there is no mandate stating people have to mask up when outside, but moreover, this is exactly what conservatives have been screaming about in other instances: that crazy liberals are masking up when outside. So, she's actually being kind of reasonably moderate--for wearing masks inside but not wearing them outside. But, conservatives are screaming she is for "mask mandates" but is not wearing a mask missing the exact nuance they scream about in other instances. Isn't that weird??

So here is some context, from back in May:
"Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez says she will continue to wear a face mask despite being fully vaccinated because 'NYC got hit so hard that I think some of us are going to take time adjusting as we feel comfortable.'​
Ocasio-Cortez, a progressive Democrat from New York, told her followers on Instagram that 'if you want to keep wearing your mask then do it.'​
'Personally I'm going to keep wearing my mask in shared indoor public spaces like elevators, subway, grocery store, etc.,' she said."​
Wait... are you insinuating that the British tabloid The Daily Mail was in error?!

*pauses to catch breath*

When AOC does it, it’s not a safe practice. When the “other” do it, plague rats.
You are under the delusion that we worship at the alter of AOC. That is a right-wing fantasy.
who is this “we” you speak of. I am under no such delusions. AOC has a few admirers on here and perhaps one or two do actually worship her but I don’t consider you to be one of them.

Personally, I've yet to go to AOC's Twitter account to figure out best practices for the Covid-19 pandemic.
You don’t have to go to AOC Twitter account since there is a thread dedicated to her account in this very forum for our convenience.

It should be noted is a short defense, that she does support vaccination. Instead of the vaccinated right-wing media personalities that publicly encourage people not to get vaccinated.

Some plague rats are better than others I guess.

who is this “we” you speak of. I am under no such delusions. AOC has a few admirers on here and perhaps one or two do actually worship her but I don’t consider you to be one of them.
Wow... a whole "few".
You don’t have to go to AOC Twitter account since there is a thread dedicated to her account in this very forum for our convenience.
So down from a "few" to "one"?
Some plague rats are better than others I guess.
Yeah, I suppose there are things such context to keep in mind. I mean it isn't like a positive tested Trump went to the Presidential debate without informing Biden.

Back
Top Bottom