• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Andy Murray has tested positive for coronavirus before his flight to Melbourne to compete at the Australian Open, putting his presence at the tournament in doubt. Murray is isolating at home, in good health and still hopeful of travelling to Australia when it is safe and possible. There had been a small coronavirus outbreak at the National Tennis Centre in Roehampton.

Teh Gruaniad

So, the most lethal virus every discovered has stricken tennis player Andy Murray but the patient hopes to be fit enough to compete in the Australian Open in a couple of weeks.

Tennis player Tennys Sandgren has boarded a plane to the Australian Open in Melbourne despite saying he tested positive for Covid-19 on Monday. The American, a quarterfinalist at last year's tournament, had been ill and tested positive for the virus in November but returned another positive test earlier this week while feeling "totally healthy." In a series of posts on Twitter, Sandgren initially conceded that he may not be able to fly to the first tennis grand slam of the year but later wrote: "Wow I'm on the plane. Maybe I just held my breath too long. Craig Tiley [Tennis Australia CEO] is a wizard."

CNN

A virus so deadly that, wait.

Andy Murray has tested positive for coronavirus before his flight to Melbourne to compete at the Australian Open, putting his presence at the tournament in doubt. Murray is isolating at home, in good health and still hopeful of travelling to Australia when it is safe and possible. There had been a small coronavirus outbreak at the National Tennis Centre in Roehampton.

Teh Gruaniad

So, the most lethal virus every discovered has stricken tennis player Andy Murray but the patient hopes to be fit enough to compete in the Australian Open in a couple of weeks.

Tennis player Tennys Sandgren has boarded a plane to the Australian Open in Melbourne despite saying he tested positive for Covid-19 on Monday. The American, a quarterfinalist at last year's tournament, had been ill and tested positive for the virus in November but returned another positive test earlier this week while feeling "totally healthy." In a series of posts on Twitter, Sandgren initially conceded that he may not be able to fly to the first tennis grand slam of the year but later wrote: "Wow I'm on the plane. Maybe I just held my breath too long. Craig Tiley [Tennis Australia CEO] is a wizard."

CNN

ITT: someone fails to understand whaf people mean when they say "this virus is more deadly": not that is a more guaranteed death for catch it, but because in a holistic view of its behavior, it kills more people because it infects more people.

Teh Gruaniad

CNN

ITT: someone fails to understand whaf people mean when they say "this virus is more deadly": not that is a more guaranteed death for catch it, but because in a holistic view of its behavior, it kills more people because it infects more people.
Really, there hasn't been anything said to this poster, that hasn't been said several times already, to help them with their willfully ridiculous take on the virus.

Teh Gruaniad

CNN

Really, there hasn't been anything said to this poster, that hasn't been said several times already, to help them with their willfully ridiculous take on the virus.

I understand this. But it helps to point out the conflations and other fallacious elements of their logic so that the guests and lurkers have a chance to see it

Teh Gruaniad

CNN

A year into this and he still has no clue how any of it works. It's impressive in a way.

What ridiculous take would that be Higgins ? Is it not true that the vast, VAST majority of people who contract this virus (a virus so lethal you need to test for it) recover unharmed and that the majority of people never knew they had it ? Or that roughly 40% of deaths occurred in long care facilities i.e. the very elderly ?

What ridiculous take would that be Higgins ? Is it not true that the vast, VAST majority of people who contract this virus (a virus so lethal you need to test for it) recover unharmed and that the majority of people never knew they had it ? Or that roughly 40% of deaths occurred in long care facilities i.e. the very elderly ?

The vast majority of people who enter a car get out alive, yet we have laws about speed limits, seat belts, driving under influence or without a license etc.

Oh what the hell. By your own stat above, SIXTY percent of deaths were not in long care. We are now far past the number of combat deaths we (the U.S.) suffered in World War II. I know a married couple who both had covid. He had the milder case that you must be thinking about. She had a month-long siege of the worst flu symptoms she'd ever undergone. I also object to your phrase 'recover unharmed', as even this early in our knowledge of covid, we know about many patients who recover but face (at this point) months of after-effects, some serious enough to compromise long term health. They include fatigue, constricted breath, joint pain, chest pain; they include damage to the heart muscle, which may develop into heart disease; scar tissue on the lungs' alveoli; and in the brain, covid can cause stroke. What other disease has hit us in the past century that has filled hospitals to the limit and subjected our health care workers to a grueling and seemingly endless work detail, that threatens them and their families? Bloody hell. This is a catastrophe that involves all of us, and what the health care professionals are asking us to do is so minor as to be objectionable only to extremely immature adults.

{snip} By your own stat above, SIXTY percent of deaths were not in long care.{snip irrelevancies}

Roughly, the average age of people that die is 82+ and suffering from other health problems.

Oh what the hell. By your own stat above, SIXTY percent of deaths were not in long care. We are now far past the number of combat deaths we (the U.S.) suffered in World War II. I know a married couple who both had covid. He had the milder case that you must be thinking about. She had a month-long siege of the worst flu symptoms she'd ever undergone. I also object to your phrase 'recover unharmed', as even this early in our knowledge of covid, we know about many patients who recover but face (at this point) months of after-effects, some serious enough to compromise long term health. They include fatigue, constricted breath, joint pain, chest pain; they include damage to the heart muscle, which may develop into heart disease; scar tissue on the lungs' alveoli; and in the brain, covid can cause stroke. What other disease has hit us in the past century that has filled hospitals to the limit and subjected our health care workers to a grueling and seemingly endless work detail, that threatens them and their families? Bloody hell. This is a catastrophe that involves all of us, and what the health care professionals are asking us to do is so minor as to be objectionable only to extremely immature adults.
Agreed. I mentioned a friend of mine in this thread here.

We are now 6 months out since he came down with this. He is now on permanent disability due to heart and lung damage from this. And he is completely depressed. He didn't think he would even catch this, much less suffer like he is.

I also have a young cousin who worked in a hospital admitting department - and she has changed jobs. She said she just couldn't take any more of the stress caused by people who didn't care how their actions impacted others.

Ruth

{snip} By your own stat above, SIXTY percent of deaths were not in long care.{snip irrelevancies}

Roughly, the average age of people that die is 82+ and suffering from other health problems.

Again, in 9 months, 386,000 Americans dead, and counting.

Roughly 40% of those deaths are down to the boneheaded local authorities putting infected patients back into care homes. And that number contains plenty of cases of people that died "with" covid and not "of" covid.

Roughly 40% of those deaths are down to the boneheaded local authorities putting infected patients back into care homes. And that number contains plenty of cases of people that died "with" covid and not "of" covid.

TSwizzle doesn't care if granny dies.

Got sources?

Would sources make it any less awful that TSwizzle is OK with the remaining 60% of deaths? That they are OK with a single preventable death? That they eschew mask wearing because MUH FREEDUMB when mask wearing effectively cuts transmissivity and ultimately cuts deaths resulting from infection? I mean shit, if I had grandparents at home rather than in a home, and I got infected, I'm not like a care home worker who can be given sick leave. Now Grannie is invariably going to die.

You are right! But that "roughly 40%" sounds blithe and cavalier to me.

Also, have you noticed over the past few months that TSwizz's cavalier 40% is down from what they were claiming earlier? Like, how do they not see the ground shrinking under their position, just admit they are wrong, and quit acting cavalier with the lives of others?

Would sources make it any less awful that TSwizzle is OK with the remaining 60% of deaths?

Never said that. Are you ok with the countless lives lost because they didn't get their operations, cancer screenings, the suicides, drug overdoses etc. etc. Are you ok with the hundreds of thousands consigned to grinding poverty for the rest of their lives because they employers were forced out of business ?

That they are OK with a single preventable death?

You just make shit up.

That they eschew mask wearing because MUH FREEDUMB {snip}
Link to one post of mine that states that position or shut the fuck up.*

I mean shit, if I had grandparents at home rather than in a home, and I got infected, I'm not like a care home worker who can be given sick leave. Now Grannie is invariably going to die.

You're grandparents are your responsibility not mine.

*shut the fuck up I guess but I know you won't. You'll continue to whine and and waste bandwidth.

Never said that. Are you ok with the countless lives lost because they didn't get their operations, cancer screenings, the suicides, drug overdoses etc. etc. Are you ok with the hundreds of thousands consigned to grinding poverty for the rest of their lives because they employers were forced out of business ?
no. That's why I supported quarantine and masking and contact tracing and all those measures that would have stopped this thing in 2 months rather than the "do nothing and just let it happen" approach you took. It's why I supported stimulus through the lot of this, and why I have always supported the idea of UBI, pretty much since I started posting here. I called it a "stipend" back then.
You just make shit up.
Ah yes, the "I know you are but what am I?" Defense. I think it's quite popular with 12 year olds, and weak-minded idiots all around the world. Are you sure you can't deign to move past it?
That they eschew mask wearing because MUH FREEDUMB {snip}
Link to one post of mine that states that position or shut the fuck up.*
Seriously? You accuse people of being fascists and hypocrites for mask mandates. This whole thread is smattered with your whinges about every little thing done to attempt to stop the spread, liberally peppered with you not caring who dies from it.
I mean shit, if I had grandparents at home rather than in a home, and I got infected, I'm not like a care home worker who can be given sick leave. Now Grannie is invariably going to die.

You're grandparents are your responsibility not mine.
Everyone's grandparents are everyone's responsibility because we live in a society and have debts we owe to one another for the benefits we reap for each other's company and contributions to all that we are. This is what it means to live in a society.
*shut the fuck up I guess but I know you won't. You'll continue to whine and and waste bandwidth.
Oh, the irony.

Back
Top Bottom