• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Really, there hasn't been anything said to this poster, that hasn't been said several times already, to help them with their willfully ridiculous take on the virus.

What ridiculous take would that be Higgins ? Is it not true that the vast, VAST majority of people who contract this virus (a virus so lethal you need to test for it) recover unharmed and that the majority of people never knew they had it ? Or that roughly 40% of deaths occurred in long care facilities i.e. the very elderly ?

I was just reading something saying that most of the people who come down with it end up with lung damage--we are pretty good at compensating, this can easily cause no symptoms.

Roughly, the average age of people that die is 82+ and suffering from other health problems.

Again, in 9 months, 386,000 Americans dead, and counting.

Roughly 40% of those deaths are down to the boneheaded local authorities putting infected patients back into care homes. And that number contains plenty of cases of people that died "with" covid and not "of" covid.

Republican lies detected. When you keep repeating them you just damage your credibility.

It runs through care homes like wildfire. If someone was put back into a care home the home was almost certainly already infected (otherwise, how were they infected??), even if the patient were still infectious (and you don't remain infectious very long) it wouldn't have made a difference.

And pretending that people with pre-existing conditions died with Covid rather than from it is almost completely false. Most of the pre-existing conditions are things that are controlled or kill you slowly. There's no reason to blame them for a Covid death. And Covid messes with blood clotting--you will see all sorts of clot deaths (stroke, heart attack, pulmonary embolism, organ failure) directly attributable to Covid and plenty more bleed deaths (stroke, various other bleed problems) from the blood thinners used to try to prevent the clot deaths--and when you die of the side effects of treating a problem you are still considered to have died of the problem.

If those deaths were simply with Covid where do we get the 400k extra deaths we have seen this year?? Those aren't subject to weaseling, someone is either alive or dead.

You are right! But that "roughly 40%" sounds blithe and cavalier to me.

If he was right that it was a fuck-up then he's right, the solution is to avoid the fuck-up, not count them as a reason for locking down society.

However, it's akin to calling someone an arsonist because they went around tossing lit matches into burning campfires.

Roughly 40% of those deaths are down to the boneheaded local authorities putting infected patients back into care homes. And that number contains plenty of cases of people that died "with" covid and not "of" covid.

Republican lies detected. When you keep repeating them you just damage your credibility.

It runs through care homes like wildfire. If someone was put back into a care home the home was almost certainly already infected (otherwise, how were they infected??), even if the patient were still infectious (and you don't remain infectious very long) it wouldn't have made a difference.

And pretending that people with pre-existing conditions died with Covid rather than from it is almost completely false. Most of the pre-existing conditions are things that are controlled or kill you slowly. There's no reason to blame them for a Covid death. And Covid messes with blood clotting--you will see all sorts of clot deaths (stroke, heart attack, pulmonary embolism, organ failure) directly attributable to Covid and plenty more bleed deaths (stroke, various other bleed problems) from the blood thinners used to try to prevent the clot deaths--and when you die of the side effects of treating a problem you are still considered to have died of the problem.

If those deaths were simply with Covid where do we get the 400k extra deaths we have seen this year?? Those aren't subject to weaseling, someone is either alive or dead.

Agreed. Conservatives are continuously falling victim to conspiracy theories and nonsense. Many believe that the dems are just making up all the COVID damage in order to destroy the economy. Total deaths are up 13% in 2020 vs 2019. And that's with the death rate ticking up dramatically last Nov and December. The best way to combat conservative nonsense is to show them the data:

https://usafacts.org/articles/preli...deaths-in-2020-than-2019-coronavirus-age-flu/

Agreed. Conservatives are continuously falling victim to conspiracy theories and nonsense. Many believe that the dems are just making up all the COVID damage in order to destroy the economy. Total deaths are up 13% in 2020 vs 2019. And that's with the death rate ticking up dramatically last Nov and December. The best way to combat conservative nonsense is to show them the data:

https://usafacts.org/articles/preli...deaths-in-2020-than-2019-coronavirus-age-flu/
No... there is little to combat it. You can't fix apathy with data.

All they see is that in general, only about 1% of people are dying. So whether it is 3 million dead or 10,000 dead, it is only 1% to them. That health care is being rationed in places, that oxygen issues are complicating discharges or health care service, that hospitals have expanded well beyond their ICU capacity... it doesn't matter, because 1%. In good ole fashioned conservative thought, if it doesn't affect them, it just doesn't matter. So they care about the consequences of closures, but not the virus and the toll it has taken.

And many of those people also believed that we’d stop talking about COVID after the election. 🤔

And many of those people also believed that we’d stop talking about COVID after the election. ??????

Yep. And they also state without apology that the 2020 election was stolen, massive 2020 voter fraud, Hillary maintains a 5,000 harem of young children, Biden killed seal team six, and the earth is 6,000 years old. They have been radicalized.

And many of those people also believed that we’d stop talking about COVID after the election. ������
Apparently Covid is a big deal now.

Sen. Tuberville (R AL) said:
Well, we have the worst pandemic in my lifetime, and we’re worrying about impeaching a guy that only going to be there seven more days. Makes no sense to me.

Apparently Covid is a big deal now.

Sen. Tuberville (R AL) said:
Well, we have the worst pandemic in my lifetime, and we’re worrying about impeaching a guy that only going to be there seven more days. Makes no sense to me.
Did Tuberville wear a mask during the Riot, or did he scoff at 'the worst pandemic in (his) lifetime' when offered one in shelter?

Can't have it both ways, Tommy.

Never said that. Are you ok with the countless lives lost because they didn't get their operations, cancer screenings, the suicides, drug overdoses etc. etc. Are you ok with the hundreds of thousands consigned to grinding poverty for the rest of their lives because they employers were forced out of business ?

You just make shit up.

That they eschew mask wearing because MUH FREEDUMB {snip}
Link to one post of mine that states that position or shut the fuck up.*

I mean shit, if I had grandparents at home rather than in a home, and I got infected, I'm not like a care home worker who can be given sick leave. Now Grannie is invariably going to die.

You're grandparents are your responsibility not mine.

*shut the fuck up I guess but I know you won't. You'll continue to whine and and waste bandwidth.

Which is why we are in this mess--people who don't care about anyone but themselves.

On Friday, the insufferable prick that is the governor of California, Gavin Newsom breathlessly announced the opening of Dodger Stadium as a mass vaccination site. Well, it's closed today because it's a holiday. So despite the fact that we are in the middle of the worst ever pandemic in history that is literally killing billions of people, striking them down as they walk their dogs in the park, the facility is fucking closed. You could not make this shit up.

On Friday, the insufferable prick that is the governor of California, Gavin Newsom breathlessly announced the opening of Dodger Stadium as a mass vaccination site. Well, it's closed today because it's a holiday. So despite the fact that we are in the middle of the worst ever pandemic in history that is literally killing billions of people, striking them down as they walk their dogs in the park, the facility is fucking closed. You could not make this shit up.

When will Mar-a-Lago be opened as a vaccination site?

Does Trump actually care about protecting people from C19? Or is this "no longer Trump's problem"?

Trump could make his personal property open, if he actually gave a whit about the health of the USA. Does he?

My guess is "No! Trump doesn't give a crap about anyone but himself. The more Americans suffer and die from C19 the more he'll have to blame on Biden. Trump can't lose."

Tom

You seem to be having no problem making shit up.

Getting their excuses in early I see.

Newsom is fucking this up in California, Trump's fault probably.

Ah, yes. Must always be the democrats' fault, no matter what. Even when Trump preferred the "herd immunity" strategy which necessarily results in more deaths. So yes, we can blame this on Trump when there is no fucking Federal response to the pandemic whatsoever.

Yeah, where I live the health dept., where you sign up for vaccinations, is closed for MLK Day. I'm not outraged like the one posting above -- there aren't enough doses of vaccine yet or funding to do the job -- those are the real problems.

So medical people shouldn't get normal holidays??

Meanwhile in the world of... well... this need not be dramatized.

article said:
More than 40,000 individuals who received their first Covid-19 vaccine dose in Florida are overdue for their second dose, according to the latest report from the state’s health department.

Those who are overdue for their second shot account for about 5% of the nearly 916,000 people who have received their first Covid-19 vaccine shot in the state.
Both Covid-19 vaccines authorized for emergency use in the United States – Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna – were authorized as a two-dose series. The second dose should be administered 21 days after the first dose for the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, and 28 days after for the Moderna vaccine. Last week, the CEO of BioNTech said there’s a risk of initial protection declining if the administration of a second dose is delayed.
This doesn't sound promising, however, the CDC states:
CDC said:
There is no maximum interval between the first and second doses for either vaccine. Therefore, if the second dose is administered >3 weeks after the first Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine dose or >1 month after the first Moderna vaccine dose, there is no need to restart the series.
Very needless reporting drama there.

So medical people shouldn't get normal holidays??
Naw... it is a holiday so he grasping for things to be grumpy about.

When will Mar-a-Lago be opened as a vaccination site?

Does Trump actually care about protecting people from C19? Or is this "no longer Trump's problem"?

Trump could make his personal property open, if he actually gave a whit about the health of the USA. Does he?

My guess is "No! Trump doesn't give a crap about anyone but himself. The more Americans suffer and die from C19 the more he'll have to blame on Biden. Trump can't lose."

Tom

You're missing TSwizzle's point. He's pointing out the absurdity in the behavior of someone who considers the pandemic to be a huge public health crises and then closes the facility for vaccination.

Ah geez. This is what a family member is sharing now on Facebook. Time to put them on snooze again....

I swear I don't have any idea how I could be closely related to people who fall for every idiotic "important news!" article that is thrown out there by hucksters who just want to attract customers to their website where they sell fake cures for everything. It is extraordinarily embarrassing when they start preaching all this nonsense in public.

Ruth

Back
Top Bottom