• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

That would surprise me--most places no longer use latex gloves. And the digital prostate exam is no longer considered useful for screening.
Right, it's almost universally nitrile gloves. As for DRE, that was how my husband's prostate cancer was first noticed. Not specifically identified as cancer of course, but an abnormality that merited another exam by a urologist and then a biopsy. PSAs are not particularly reliable for a variety of reasons, one being that men are are not necessarily instructed to avoid ejaculation or heavy exercise for 48 hrs. before the blood draw (either can artificially elevate PSA levels).
The problem with prostate cancer screening (both digital and PSA) is that they have found it confers no survival benefit--yes, you find some prostate cancers that would have otherwise been missed. However, you also have a lot of treatment for things that turn out not to be cancer and cancers that were too slow growing to pose a threat. The hazard from the false positives is as great as the benefit from the true positives.
Oh, I beg to differ. My husband is alive and well, thanks to an early diagnosis, detected during the dreaded DRE, confirmed by biopsy. Long term survival for prostate cancer if detected before metastasis is excellent. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostate-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/survival-rates.html

My father in law survived many years after his prostate cancer diagnosis thanks to good treatment. He died in his 90's of unrelated causes and had been diagnosed in his late 60's.

Most men, if they live long enough, will develop prostate cancer. If detected late enough in life--say in their 80's or 90's, chances are they will die with prostate cancer and not from prostate cancer. But that also depends on how aggressive the cancer. Some prostate cancers are slow growing and are slow to metastasize. Others are quite aggressive and metastasize readily, causing a very painful death.

Patooka claimed that for TSwizzle to be 'consistent', he should insist his surgeon not wear a mask. That does not follow from TSwizzle's statements.
This above is just silly. TS has repeatedly claimed masks don't work and has gone on tirades against mandatory mask mandates. A surgeon wearing a mask is because of mandatory mask mandates.
Dante: I don't want the government to force me to attend Church.
Virgil: I hope you have the courage of your convictions, and you want to ban other people from going to Church if they want to.
Dante: Wat.
Aren't mandates instructions for other people?

The authoritarians will not get me wearing a mask.
I hope the next time you go to the dentist or need surgery you stick to your principles and insist no masks to be worn.

I will attempt, one final time, to help you and others understand why Patooka's reasoning was faulty.

Dorothy: The authoritarians will not force me to buy and eat steak.
Blanche: I hope the next time you go to a restaurant or take away you stick to your principles and insist nobody buys and eats steak.
That's an extremely poor analogy because when TS railed against mandates and made fun of people wearing masks that's exactly what he was asking for.

Patooka claimed that for TSwizzle to be 'consistent', he should insist his surgeon not wear a mask. That does not follow from TSwizzle's statements.
This above is just silly. TS has repeatedly claimed masks don't work and has gone on tirades against mandatory mask mandates. A surgeon wearing a mask is because of mandatory mask mandates.
Virgil: I hope you have the courage of your convictions, and you want to ban other people from going to Church if they want to.

I hope the next time you go to the dentist or need surgery you stick to your principles and insist no masks to be worn.

I will attempt, one final time, to help you and others understand why Patooka's reasoning was faulty.

Blanche: I hope the next time you go to a restaurant or take away you stick to your principles and insist nobody buys and eats steak.
That's an extremely poor analogy because when TS railed against mandates and made fun of people wearing masks that's exactly what he was asking for.
Really? Where did he insist other people not wear masks?

He didn't.
But it's important to some people on this forum to insist he's wrong.
No matter what.

You understand that. I know you do.
Tom

"Doctor" Barbara Ferrer threatens mask mandates on LA County.

Masks orders are set to return to Los Angeles after the city officially crossed the threshold of 'high' Covid risk of Thursday night - with official guidance saying that mask mandates will return if it remains above that threshold for at least 14 consecutive days. According to most recent data from the city's health department, the city is averaging 6,384 new cases every day and its test positivity rate - which has become one of the most effective ways to judge the current pandemic-state - has ballooned to 15 percent. It comes as the BA.5 variant, which is now dominant in the U.S., continues its spread and causes case counts to jump across America. Daily infections in America have increased by 30 percent over the past week to 140,677 per day, while deaths have crept up 25 percent to 536 daily over the last seven days. America's second largest city is currently averaging 157 Covid-related hospitalizations every day, according to most recent official data. 'While we are not seeing anywhere near the devastation we saw last winter's omicron surge, we are seeing much higher case numbers than we saw at the peak of the delta surge. It's unlikely we are at the peak of this surge,' Barbara Ferrer, the city's public health director said Thursday. But she added that Covid has killed more people in the city through the year's first six months than any other infectious disease.

Daily Mail

She's a liar.

The authoritarians will not give up their "recently acquired" emergency powers. It has been more than two years since these bastards have fucked with our lives and they continue to do so. There is no emergency and they still cling to their emergency powers.
I see plague rat and double/triple/boosted Fauci has covid again;

After testing positive for COVID-19 earlier this month, Dr. Anthony Fauci said Tuesday that he has joined a growing group of people experiencing a Paxlovid rebound, following treatment with Pfizer's antiviral. Fauci, 81, said that when he first tested positive two weeks ago, he had very minimal symptoms. However, when he began to feel worse, "given [his] age," he was prescribed Paxlovid. Other than fatigue and a bit of congestion, Fauci reported that he felt "really quite well," and after his five-day course of Paxlovid, he tested negative with a rapid test.

ABC News

Despite zero evidence that masks work for "stopping/slowing the spread", non doctor Barbara Ferrer and the control freaks in LA County are starting to make noises about indoor mask mandates again;

Los Angeles County health officials are warning the region is again trending in the wrong direction when it comes to COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations. If the county reaches 10 new daily hospital admissions per 100,000 residents, it will move into the "high" virus activity category as defined by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. If the county stays in the "high" category for two consecutive weeks, it will reimpose a mandatory indoor mask-wearing mandate.
She (Ferrer) noted, however, that given the continued high level of virus transmission in the county -- particularly with more rapid spread of the highly transmissible BA.4 and BA.5 variants -- people should already be masking up indoors.

ABC News

"masking up", what male bovine excrement.
He is obviously extremely hostile to masks in general.

"Doctor" Barbara Ferrer threatens mask mandates on LA County.

Masks orders are set to return to Los Angeles after the city officially crossed the threshold of 'high' Covid risk of Thursday night - with official guidance saying that mask mandates will return if it remains above that threshold for at least 14 consecutive days. According to most recent data from the city's health department, the city is averaging 6,384 new cases every day and its test positivity rate - which has become one of the most effective ways to judge the current pandemic-state - has ballooned to 15 percent. It comes as the BA.5 variant, which is now dominant in the U.S., continues its spread and causes case counts to jump across America. Daily infections in America have increased by 30 percent over the past week to 140,677 per day, while deaths have crept up 25 percent to 536 daily over the last seven days. America's second largest city is currently averaging 157 Covid-related hospitalizations every day, according to most recent official data. 'While we are not seeing anywhere near the devastation we saw last winter's omicron surge, we are seeing much higher case numbers than we saw at the peak of the delta surge. It's unlikely we are at the peak of this surge,' Barbara Ferrer, the city's public health director said Thursday. But she added that Covid has killed more people in the city through the year's first six months than any other infectious disease.

Daily Mail

She's a liar.

The authoritarians will not give up their "recently acquired" emergency powers. It has been more than two years since these bastards have fucked with our lives and they continue to do so. There is no emergency and they still cling to their emergency powers.
I see plague rat and double/triple/boosted Fauci has covid again;

After testing positive for COVID-19 earlier this month, Dr. Anthony Fauci said Tuesday that he has joined a growing group of people experiencing a Paxlovid rebound, following treatment with Pfizer's antiviral. Fauci, 81, said that when he first tested positive two weeks ago, he had very minimal symptoms. However, when he began to feel worse, "given [his] age," he was prescribed Paxlovid. Other than fatigue and a bit of congestion, Fauci reported that he felt "really quite well," and after his five-day course of Paxlovid, he tested negative with a rapid test.

ABC News

Despite zero evidence that masks work for "stopping/slowing the spread", non doctor Barbara Ferrer and the control freaks in LA County are starting to make noises about indoor mask mandates again;

Los Angeles County health officials are warning the region is again trending in the wrong direction when it comes to COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations. If the county reaches 10 new daily hospital admissions per 100,000 residents, it will move into the "high" virus activity category as defined by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. If the county stays in the "high" category for two consecutive weeks, it will reimpose a mandatory indoor mask-wearing mandate.
She (Ferrer) noted, however, that given the continued high level of virus transmission in the county -- particularly with more rapid spread of the highly transmissible BA.4 and BA.5 variants -- people should already be masking up indoors.

ABC News

"masking up", what male bovine excrement.
He is obviously extremely hostile to masks in general.
So what? I asked where TSwizzle insisted other people should not mask up. I don't see that anywhere in what you've quoted.

Even if you think and have said "masks are a waste of time in every conceivable situation and the people who wear them are brainwashed" (which TSwizzle did not), that does not imply he should insist other people remove their masks. It simply does not. It does not follow.

Note that there actually are crazy whackadoodle anti-mask Karens who do scream at others for wearing masks. There are also crazy whackadoodle pro-mask Karens who scream at people for not wearing masks. My favourite clip ever of the latter group is an elevator couple of masked middle-aged white Karens screaming at a (black) man for entering the elevator without a mask. Their leftist circuitry couldn't take the strain, however, on the vexing situation of being seen to be visibly afraid of a black man and telling him to get out, so one of them started chanting 'black lives matter'.

Found the clip:

Oops. My bad. You'd think after all these months I would have learned to wait for Karine Jean-Pierre to reject/spin/defend whatever gobbledygook Biden said the previous afternoon.

It is a little odd that he blames oily emissions for his skin cancer. Makes more sense that he would have got it from his days as a lifeguard sitting at the edge of the pool while little black kids sit on his lap and rub his hairy legs up and down.

Didn’t Brandon say he would “end covid” as part of his campaign? And didn’t Brandon claim that once you were vaccinated you wouldn’t get covid?

I'll one up you.

An interesting video for you to select.

I see people insisting that a mandate not be put on them. I don't see any of them insisting that masked people remove their masks.

Again! Those morons who insist on not wearing masks are the ones most likely to catch covid. And pass it around to others who do not want a break through cases because some moron refuses to wear a mask when in public. These unspeakable morons want their little plague rat brats to be free to attend schools without wearing masks. Spreading covid to others. They do not have the right to endanger others because they are militantly stupid.

It was inevitable;
Covid death rates have reached pandemic highs in New Zealand as the country battles another havoc-inducing Omicron wave. Weekly virus fatalities hit 151 in the seven days ending July 16, compared to 115 in the worst week of the previous flare-up in March, according to Health Ministry data. It means the country's current mortality rate is twice as high as the UK's and four times higher than the US. In the latest 24 hours, all 26 Covid deaths occurred among over-60s.

Daily Mail

In San Diego, school leaders mindlessly repeat the mantra that they are 'following the science' as dictated to them by America's top public health officials. But more than two years after coronavirus first paralyzed the world the CDC, public health leaders, and local officials are not following the science. They are defying it. So when will America's health leadership wrench their heads out of the sand and acknowledge their method of basing public policy recommendations on COVID case numbers is now obsolete?

Daily Mail

No wonder so many people opt out of the school system.

Again! Those morons who insist on not wearing masks are the ones most likely to catch covid. And pass it around to others who do not want a break through cases because some moron refuses to wear a mask when in public. These unspeakable morons want their little plague rat brats to be free to attend schools without wearing masks. Spreading covid to others. They do not have the right to endanger others because they are militantly stupid.

Nobody is stopping you from wearing a mask. If you are so scared of a virus so deadly that you have to test for it, stay home, AND keep YOUR kids home from school.

An unvaccinated young adult from New York recently contracted polio, the first US case in nearly a decade.

US health officials said the patient — who lives in Rockland County, New York state, just 56 kilometres from New York City — had developed paralysis.

Nobody is stopping you from wearing a mask. If you are so scared of a virus so deadly that you have to test for it, stay home, AND keep YOUR kids home from school.

Nobody is making you wear a mask.

If you find them too burdensome stay home. Keep YOUR kids home if you must.

We won't miss you much.
Tom

Ever heard of breast cancer?

I don't think you understand how it works ( or, to be honest, care.)

A mask will somewhat hinder the virus from entering the atmosphere via your breath, if you have COVID. So it helps to protest those around you. You have COVID for about 5 days, and are contagious, before you are aware.

It is less effective at filtering out incoming viruses since any virus which lands on your mask has a good chance of staying in your environment and eventually being transferred to you, either through the mask or via your hands. Some air bypasses the mask and goes around the sides.

The combination of minimising the virus that leaves the infected, and also the virus that can access the uninfected, is what protects the vulnerable and lets everyone else go about their business, go to school, return to work, etc.

That you don't want to play your part in protecting the vulnerable or in allowing a return to economic normal argues ignorance or really callous selfishness.

Back
Top Bottom