• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

It's obvious that TSwizzle wants and depends upon others to do what is needed to protect him and his health and does not care to reciprocate.

TS has repeatedly claimed masks don't work and has gone on tirades against mandatory mask mandates. A surgeon wearing a mask is because of mandatory mask mandates.
This kind of mischaracterization is annoying and not too honest.

TSwizzle has claimed that public masking is useless against C19. I disagree, but that's what he's said. That's not the same as having standards in other sorts of situations like dentists and surgeons.

It's like having different standards for rest and alcohol intake concerning passenger jet pilots and grocery store cashiers. It's not hypocritical, it's recognizing the reality of risk levels.
Tom
Can you point to a TS comment in line with your interpretation? Just one, please.
Why would I bother?

We're in a thread titled Covid-19 miscellany. TSwizzle didn't change the topic to Halloween, medical procedures, frigid winter weather, or bank robbery. I think he was clear.
Tom

Why would I bother?

To support your assertion?
Just a guess…
I did.
It's in the paragraph you clipped from my post.
Tom

Nope. You just made another unsupported assertion.
“Is so!” Doesn’t constitute support for the previous assertion:

“TSwizzle has claimed that public masking is useless against C19. I disagree, but that's what he's said.”

There’s the original unsupported assertion.

Why would I bother?

To support your assertion?
Just a guess…
I did.
It's in the paragraph you clipped from my post.
Tom

Nope. You just made another unsupported assertion.
“Is so!” Doesn’t constitute support for the previous assertion:

“TSwizzle has claimed that public masking is useless against C19. I disagree, but that's what he's said.”

There’s the original unsupported assertion.

Here's ZiprHead
Patooka claimed that for TSwizzle to be 'consistent', he should insist his surgeon not wear a mask. That does not follow from TSwizzle's statements.
This above is just silly. TS has repeatedly claimed masks don't work and has gone on tirades against mandatory mask mandates. A surgeon wearing a mask is because of mandatory mask mandates.

200w.gif

making the assertion.
This is getting tedious.
Tom

I went to the doctor's office this morning for a check up. The building entry had signs up saying "Masks still to be worn". I was like, uh-oh, I don't have a mask. So I went in anyway and went in to the suite my doctor operates from. The two receptionists were wearing masks and I walked up and the receptionist just said to sign in and take a seat, never said anything about me maskless, never offered me a mask. A few more people came in, none of them were wearing masks either. When I saw the doctor, he was wearing a mask, a proper mask, a type I haven't seen before. He never asked me to wear a mask and I didn't ask him to remove his. I exited and in the reception area there were a few more people waiting and a few, maybe four, were wearing masks.

Yeah, the mask thing is over Karen, you need to let it go. If you want to wear a mask, have at it but leave the rest of us alone.

It's obvious that TSwizzle wants and depends upon others to do what is needed to protect him and his health and does not care to reciprocate.

TS has repeatedly claimed masks don't work and has gone on tirades against mandatory mask mandates. A surgeon wearing a mask is because of mandatory mask mandates.
This kind of mischaracterization is annoying and not too honest.

TSwizzle has claimed that public masking is useless against C19. I disagree, but that's what he's said. That's not the same as having standards in other sorts of situations like dentists and surgeons.

It's like having different standards for rest and alcohol intake concerning passenger jet pilots and grocery store cashiers. It's not hypocritical, it's recognizing the reality of risk levels.
Tom
I understand what point you are going for with those two examples but it’s rare that a sleep deprived grocery store cashier will potentially infect you (or be infected by you) with a potentially deadly disease. Unless it’s a pandemic.

We’re in a pandemic. We may all be bored with it but pandemic don’t care. It’s still gonna keep right on pandemicking until it burns itself out ( unlikely given the number of people who don’t think pandemic applies to them) or becomes endemic ( again thanks to all of those who think pandemic doesn’t apply to them or are just bored with the whole thing).

I do want to offer a sincere apology to TSwizzle for talking about him like this. It’s not really directed against him as a person but more frustration as I continue to worry about exactly what I will have to cancel or postpone next.

I went to the doctor's office this morning for a check up. The building entry had signs up saying "Masks still to be worn". I was like, uh-oh, I don't have a mask. So I went in anyway and went in to the suite my doctor operates from. The two receptionists were wearing masks and I walked up and the receptionist just said to sign in and take a seat, never said anything about me maskless, never offered me a mask. A few more people came in, none of them were wearing masks either. When I saw the doctor, he was wearing a mask, a proper mask, a type I haven't seen before. He never asked me to wear a mask and I didn't ask him to remove his. I exited and in the reception area there were a few more people waiting and a few, maybe four, were wearing masks.

Yeah, the mask thing is over Karen, you need to let it go. If you want to wear a mask, have at it but leave the rest of us alone.
A) This would mean more if you hadn't been flinging poo over masking for over a year (two years?)
B) Well, gosh, if that is what you experienced, I guess that does mean masking is over. I mean sure, the guy with the most brains in the entire anecdote was wearing a mask, but regardless, I wish you luck with the impotence treatment.
C) Are that many people still wearing masks that it bothers you that much

Around these parts, 1 in 50 maybe are masking. Except the hospital / health care center, where masks are required. Actually required, not they just have a sign up. I don't really give a damn if they are masking. They could have any number of ailments or be undergoing chemo (or live closely with those are do). So I don't pretend I know everything and condemn them in my mind for being "Karens".

Some experts are referring to COVID as endemic now. Perhaps they have a point. I still mask when I'm at a store or at the senior center. Those of us over 70 are at higher risk, but since I've had 4 vaccinations and I'm in good health, my chances of dying or being hospitalized from the latest variants are small. The current vaccines won't keep me from getting COVID, but they will likely prevent a serious case of COVID. I very rarely get sick, and I don't want to get sick, but I do occasionally gather with small groups of friends for dinner and socialization, like I did last night. IT was a wonderful atheist meetup in town. Sometimes my mental health is more important than my physical health.

Still, it would be a sign of respect for our fellow citizens if we wore masks when out among groups of strangers or crowds etc. Respect for each other is a lost cause in the US. Trying to enforce mask rules is too tiring and in some cases potentially dangerous. Idiots have shot others for tar less, like putting too much mayonnaise on a sandwich. Our culture values guns more than it does each other.

Patooka claimed that for TSwizzle to be 'consistent', he should insist his surgeon not wear a mask. That does not follow from TSwizzle's statements.
This above is just silly. TS has repeatedly claimed masks don't work and has gone on tirades against mandatory mask mandates. A surgeon wearing a mask is because of mandatory mask mandates.
Dante: I don't want the government to force me to attend Church.
Virgil: I hope you have the courage of your convictions, and you want to ban other people from going to Church if they want to.
Dante: Wat.

Virgil: I hope you have the courage of your convictions, and you want to ban other people from going to Church if they want to.
Aren't mandates instructions for other people?

Aren't mandates instructions for other people?

The authoritarians will not get me wearing a mask.
I hope the next time you go to the dentist or need surgery you stick to your principles and insist no masks to be worn.

I will attempt, one final time, to help you and others understand why Patooka's reasoning was faulty.

Dorothy: The authoritarians will not force me to buy and eat steak.
Blanche: I hope the next time you go to a restaurant or take away you stick to your principles and insist nobody buys and eats steak.

I just got my fourth booster vax and a new box of masks and gloves. Die shitting, anti-vaxxers!
Why gloves? The risk of Covid through your hand surface is basically zero and gloves provide no protection against your fingers transferring it elsewhere.

Right. That’s why I pick up dog poop with a bare hand. 😆 Oh, wait - no, I don’t.

Nitrile gloves are great to have just for … life. But as you point out, their greatest impact on COVID is probably psychological.

Yeah, gloves are useful for many reasons. I'm just saying they are of basically zero value against Covid.

I just got my fourth booster vax and a new box of masks and gloves. Die shitting, anti-vaxxers!
Why gloves? The risk of Covid through your hand surface is basically zero and gloves provide no protection against your fingers transferring it elsewhere.

The risk may be small but there is a risk. I am not in the best of health and I am risk averse. I have a fair amount of seeing doctors, and hospital buildings, waiting rooms and doctor's offices are good places to find infectous diseases and not just covid-19.

If you don't mind taking chances, so be it. Just don't be the one who handled the door knob I have to use next.
Whether I have gloves on or not will be of no value in whether my touching that door knob poses any threat. Gloves are only useful for infection control when changed between situations--the doctor pulling on a new pair for each patient is useful. Walking around with gloves on does basically nothing--all it means is the contamination is on the outside of the gloves, not on your skin. Since it's not going to go through that skin there's no difference.

Gloves are a slight benefit when you're done and discard them, but after I've been out I always figure my hands are contaminated and wash up anyway.

That would surprise me--most places no longer use latex gloves. And the digital prostate exam is no longer considered useful for screening.
Right, it's almost universally nitrile gloves. As for DRE, that was how my husband's prostate cancer was first noticed. Not specifically identified as cancer of course, but an abnormality that merited another exam by a urologist and then a biopsy. PSAs are not particularly reliable for a variety of reasons, one being that men are are not necessarily instructed to avoid ejaculation or heavy exercise for 48 hrs. before the blood draw (either can artificially elevate PSA levels).
The problem with prostate cancer screening (both digital and PSA) is that they have found it confers no survival benefit--yes, you find some prostate cancers that would have otherwise been missed. However, you also have a lot of treatment for things that turn out not to be cancer and cancers that were too slow growing to pose a threat. The hazard from the false positives is as great as the benefit from the true positives.

I will attempt, one final time, to help you and others understand why Patooka's reasoning was faulty.

Dorothy: The authoritarians will not force me to buy and eat steak.
Blanche: I hope the next time you go to a restaurant or take away you stick to your principles and insist nobody buys and eats steak.

I so wish the leftist authoritarians on this forum would grasp your point.

But I don't think it will happen.
Tom

Oh, well, the Daily Mail. Not the best source for medical information.
Says you.

There's a reason it's called the Daily Fail. It's not worth much as a source of information, period.

Also totally neglects to mention that the newest variants are much more highly contagious than the original highly contagious version of COVID19.

It’s a study on a Covid-19 not other variants. I suspect you know this.

Covid-Wuhan had a R0 of about 3.25 and generally required prolonged exposure to be transmitted. Covid-Omicron BA.5 has an R0 of something like 18 and transmits easily with a brief exposure. Yet they're both "Covid". (And I think there probably was an original Covid with an R0 of little more than 1 that never got captured and sequenced.)

This would explain, at least in part, why previously effective measures are not as effective in NZ and other places with strict mandates.
This also explains that none of the draconian lockdown measures work.

Lockdown worked against Covid-Wuhan--it bought time to vaccinate and thus considerably cut the total harm done. It's effectively useless against any flavor of Covid-Omicron.

68% less likely is not nearly the same thing as 100% less likely or not at all likely. Asymptomatic spread is real, even if degree of illness is to some extent dependent upon viral load and even if likelihood of infecting others is dependent upon viral load.

Being symptom free does not mean you are unable to spread COVID19.

So what? Stay home if you are scared. The vast majority of us are getting on with things and not cooperating with the bullshit any longer.
And having your body slowly chopped up by repeated infections.

Back
Top Bottom