• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

The architect behind the USA covid response strategy is stepping down. Flip-Flop Fauci will step down at the end of the year. Good riddance.

The architect behind the USA covid response strategy is stepping down. Flip-Flop Fauci will step down at the end of the year. Good riddance.
It is incredible how some people seem to have no viable memory of the last couple of years.

A good, if not simple, article on the debate regarding vaccine updates... and the ever frustrating world that is trying to understand nature and what matters most for the immunological responses of the body, if even that is static.

I don't think Fauci was a good voice for govt.

Engineers when talking shop may go back and forth between one side or idea and another. This may be true but then maybe not.

That is the way Fauci talked on camera, like a scientist sifting through an issue. It could be this or it could be that. Masks may be effective but maybe they are not. I understood, but to the average viewer he was ambiguous and misleading.

On health issues people need clear easy to digest statements.

I don't think Fauci was a good voice for govt.

Engineers when talking shop may go back and forth between one side or idea and another. This may be true but then maybe not.

That is the way Fauci talked on camera, like a scientist sifting through an issue. It could be this or it could be that. Masks may be effective but maybe they are not. I understood, but to the average viewer he was ambiguous and misleading.
That is certainly true. When Fauci spoke, I heard a diplomat using very specific words for very specific purposes to imply very specific meanings. A lot of people are not capable of understanding language as such.

But, in general, as long as you were listening to what he was saying, it was accurate and the best we knew at the time. Most people didn't have time to nitpick every verb... but listened to people on the radio and on cable news who pretended they did. In other words, the issue was far right-wing disinformation, and far left-wing anti-science stupidity (the far left didn't need to lie about Fauci to be dumb).

I think that’s a want, not a need, and you can’t always get what you want. Clear, easy to digest statements on health issues are very likely to be wrong and misleading.

HL Menken said:
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

Are you saying it’s better for people to be wrong than to ask them to acknowledge complexity?

It is a need for the average person.

From the CDC they need clear unabigous directions on diseas not subject to interprtaion.

Fauci was a scientist talking like a scientist.

We did not need to see a discussion on whether or not masks should be worn, that is counterproductive in public. Scientifc debate is behind the scenes.

I learned through hard knocks when making formal presentations never allow or at least limit penitential for interpretation, especially with non technical people.

From the start we should have heard a simple sattement wear a god damn mask.

People did noneed to hear the ridiculous mantra 'we will go by what seince says'. Ridiculous because it goes right over rmost people's heads. Ridiculous because it opened the door for widespread media debateand exploitaion over 'what the science says' es[ecialy media like FOX.

Fauci did some important work and is an expert on infections, but a disaster as a public speaker. The iconic scientist with no social savvy.

Fauci did some important work and is an expert on infections, but a disaster as a public speaker. The iconic scientist with no social savvy.
Not a disaster. Trump was the disaster when suggesting doctors look into injecting bleach into Covid patients. Dr. Birx made that much clear.

Will people who have not yet been vaccinated be allowed to take the bivalent Pfizer or Moderna vaccines without taking the univalent Wuhan strain vaccines?

Will someone be considered fully vaccinated after ONLY getting two shots of these new bivalent vaccines?

Will people who have not yet been vaccinated be allowed to take the bivalent Pfizer or Moderna vaccines without taking the univalent Wuhan strain vaccines?

Will someone be considered fully vaccinated after ONLY getting two shots of these new bivalent vaccines?
Insufficient data for a meaningful response.

Oh my goodness, First Lady “Dr” Jill Biden has tested positive again.

These vaccines have been a bit of a bust really. So odd that the USA is (so far) banning entry to US Open champion Novak Djokavic because he’s not vaccinated. What’s the betting the rule will be dropped to allow Djokavic to enter and compete in the open? Science my ass.

It looks like Djokavic has been refused entry into the USA because he is not vaccinated and has withdrawn from the US Open. John McEnroe is right. What a joke. The Southern border is teaming with unchecked arrivals and yet the bureaucrats are sticking to their anti-science guns.

The Southern border is teaming with unchecked arrivals and yet the bureaucrats are sticking to their anti-science guns.
It's one of the advantages to a coherent immigration policy.

If we gave as many green cards as we're willing to give jobs we could vet the recipients and require things like vaccination.

But since we stick with our schizophrenic policy of giving jobs but not documents we can't.
Tom

I think that’s a want, not a need, and you can’t always get what you want. Clear, easy to digest statements on health issues are very likely to be wrong and misleading.

HL Menken said:
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

Are you saying it’s better for people to be wrong than to ask them to acknowledge complexity?

People prefer easy to digest statements that are wrong over nuanced statements that are correct.

I do not think so, they are intended as boosters. I believe they are a reduced dose from what the primary sequence was.

Oh my goodness, First Lady “Dr” Jill Biden has tested positive again.

These vaccines have been a bit of a bust really. So odd that the USA is (so far) banning entry to US Open champion Novak Djokavic because he’s not vaccinated. What’s the betting the rule will be dropped to allow Djokavic to enter and compete in the open? Science my ass.
And water is wet.

What you fail to understand is that the scientists know that the current vaccine is only useful in reducing severity with the Omicron variants, it provides minimal defense against infection.

I do not think so, they are intended as boosters. I believe they are a reduced dose from what the primary sequence was.

Loren is correct. From here (WaPo gift link, no subscription required):

Both Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna have asked the government for emergency use authorization for a bivalent booster that would be based on the earlier vaccine as well as target the now-prevalent BA.4/5 subvariants. The Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are expected to give a green light in coming days. The Pfizer dose is for those 12 years and older; Moderna’s for 18 and older. In both cases, before the booster, a patient must have taken the two primary doses.

Ruth

People prefer easy to digest statements that are wrong over nuanced statements that are correct.

That's exactly why we should not be offering them simple, wrong answers to medical questions.
Or maybe we should, to accelerate natural selection?

Back
Top Bottom