• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Didier Raoult papers earn expressions of concern as criminal investigation gets underway – Retraction Watch
As we and others have reported, Raoult was among the most prominent floggers of the notion that hydroxychloroquine could treat COVID-19. But while his studies of the drug might have influenced certain American politicians, they and other research from his group haven’t withstood the scrutiny of his peers.

He also has attempted to silence critics of his work, notably Elisabeth Bik, using legal threats and harassment.

From April 2020,

Yet more evidence of how poorly supported hydroxychloroquine is as a COVID-19 therapy.

Well, he does have a point, the disease became endemic a while ago.

According to what definition, and when did it happen?

Note that a pandemic can end by becoming endemic--which is what has happened with Covid.

Well, he does have a point, the disease became endemic a while ago.

According to what definition, and when did it happen?
According to my definition, which isn't legally binding. Even globally, the number of cases is historically low for this pandemic and the number of deaths is bottoming out. We have entered the endemic phase of this disease, though, technically still not certain what the long term issues could be for long-Covid folk.

Is there still a pandemic? Of sorts, but we are on the down side of it at the moment, and the greatest threat of this pandemic, overwhelmed medical systems is in the past, and hopefully stays there. But we need to address Covid still. It is the flu on steroids and can kill the elderly and chronically ill. The ease it can be passed on, really requires vaccinations like the flu shot. I think the pandemic (registered trademark of Jimmy Higgins and should not be confused with medical terminology or even being correct) is over, but Covid-19 is here for a good while longer.

Finally!!

Starting Friday, residents and visitors in Los Angeles County no longer need to wear a mask when at the airport or riding public transportation. LA was the only county in California to still mandate masking for public transit. The change is a big step, with state officials and local health officials easing up on the mask mandate for the first time since the beginning of the year, in all locations -- not just public transportation.
CH4 News

Of course, schoolmarm Ferrer won't let it go and lectures the plebs;

[quote="Dr" Ferrer] "But the vast majority of people are wearing them, and I think they're wearing them appropriately," said Dr. Barbara Ferrer of LA County Public Health. "So my hope is we continue to do what people in LA County have been doing for over two and a half years, which is assess not only our own individual risk, but the risk of people around us in our workplaces, in our community, when we make the decisions about when it's going to be important to keep our masks on."

"Dr" Ferrer doesn't get out much. Masks are few and far between. Oh, and masks don't do squat to "slow the spread" etc.

Finally!!

Starting Friday, residents and visitors in Los Angeles County no longer need to wear a mask when at the airport or riding public transportation. LA was the only county in California to still mandate masking for public transit. The change is a big step, with state officials and local health officials easing up on the mask mandate for the first time since the beginning of the year, in all locations -- not just public transportation.
CH4 News

[quote="Dr" Ferrer] "But the vast majority of people are wearing them, and I think they're wearing them appropriately," said Dr. Barbara Ferrer of LA County Public Health. "So my hope is we continue to do what people in LA County have been doing for over two and a half years, which is assess not only our own individual risk, but the risk of people around us in our workplaces, in our community, when we make the decisions about when it's going to be important to keep our masks on."

"Dr" Ferrer doesn't get out much. Masks are few and far between. Oh, and masks don't do squat to "slow the spread" etc.
Masks people don't wear certainly don't do squat.

Your apparent belief that your two observations here are completely unrelated is bizarre, to say the least.

"I have never paid attention to speed limits. Oh, and speed limits have done nothing to stop me from crashing my car, etc.".

Finally!!

CH4 News

N95 and equivalent masks worn by everybody would do a lot to slow the spread. However, too many young people don't care anymore, the death cultists have gotten them to think it's not going to get them. Never mind it's the third highest cause of death even for them.

This is an aside, but seeing that it looks like getting an Epstein-Barr virus infection gives a small risk to get the terrible disease of Multiple Sclerosis, because of antibodies formed to a specific part of the virus...

What about giving vaccines that omit that part of EBV to get immunity without the MS risk?

This is an aside, but seeing that it looks like getting an Epstein-Barr virus infection gives a small risk to get the terrible disease of Multiple Sclerosis, because of antibodies formed to a specific part of the virus...

What about giving vaccines that omit that part of EBV to get immunity without the MS risk?
I didn't know that it had been narrowed to a specific part.

I suspect we will see such a vaccine, but this is way too new for such a vaccine to already be made.

The effectiveness of lockdown:

Looks like the anti-Covid measures might have killed one of the four main strains of flu--the one version that doesn't have animal hosts and thus was vulnerable.

The effectiveness of lockdown:

Looks like the anti-Covid measures might have killed one of the four main strains of flu--the one version that doesn't have animal hosts and thus was vulnerable.
I was kind of expecting that, but I'm impressed with the fact it actually happened nonetheless.

In the back of my head though, I have some vague idea that it should be possible to attack the zoonotic nature of a virus by identifying the spread of the zoonotic version and making a non-zoonotic version that will get ahead of it (target the same antibodies), and prevent it from propagating into reservoirs as it waves across the world ahead of the version that can "hide in the woodwork".

As such, we would perhaps end up converting an endemic zoonotic virus into an endemic non-zoonotic virus, which after letting it settle in for a while... Can then be eliminated the same way, but on purpose.

Emperor Newsom signs into California law that doctors can be suspended if they question the state's narrative on covid and its treatments;

California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed AB 2098 by Assemblyman Evan Low (D-Campbell), which will punish physicians and surgeons for “unprofessional conduct” for advocating for the potential benefits of early treatment with off-label drugs, or those who dare to ask questions about COVID vaccine safety. Assembly Bill 2098 puts unconstitutional restrictions on free speech by medical professionals. Under AB 2098, doctors will be subject to disciplinary actions by the Medical Board of California and the Osteopathic Medical Board of California if they do not adhere to the “approved COVID treatment consensus.”

CA Globe

Evan Low, I'm pretty sure this is the authoritarian who wrote the bill to force department stores to have gender neutral sections for their merchandise.

article (all emphasis matters) said:
California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed AB 2098 by Assemblyman Evan Low (D-Campbell), which will punish physicians and surgeons for “unprofessional conduct” for advocating for the potential benefits of early treatment with off-label drugs, or those who dare to ask questions about COVID vaccine safety. Assembly Bill 2098 puts unconstitutional restrictions on free speech by medical professionals. Under AB 2098, doctors will be subject to disciplinary actions by the Medical Board of California and the Osteopathic Medical Board of California if they do not adhere to the “approved COVID treatment consensus.”
Incredible how you quoted the text, yet didn't bother to read it. And that potential benefits should be in quotes. I mean, how partisan does one need to be to be upset about a regulation punishing doctors for selling off label drugs to treat something that has no legitimate documentation to back up its efficacy in treating a particular disease?

or those who dare to ask questions about COVID vaccine safety.

God forbid a doctor ask any awkward questions.

That isn't what it says. Which is why you and your source don't actually quote the bill, instead, just more misinformation from the people that politicized a disease.

So I will quote it. The whole thing. Thankfully it isn't long. I'll cite it too.

CA Assembly Bill No. 2098 said:

SECTION 1.​

The Legislature finds and declares all of the following:
(a) The global spread of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, or COVID-19, has claimed the lives of over 6,000,000 people worldwide, including nearly 90,000 Californians.
(b) Data from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) shows that unvaccinated individuals are at a risk of dying from COVID-19 that is 11 times greater than those who are fully vaccinated.
(c) The safety and efficacy of COVID-19 vaccines have been confirmed through evaluation by the federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the vaccines continue to undergo intensive safety monitoring by the CDC.
(d) The spread of misinformation and disinformation about COVID-19 vaccines has weakened public confidence and placed lives at serious risk.
(e) Major news outlets have reported that some of the most dangerous propagators of inaccurate information regarding the COVID-19 vaccines are licensed health care professionals.
(f) The Federation of State Medical Boards has released a statement warning that physicians who engage in the dissemination of COVID-19 vaccine misinformation or disinformation risk losing their medical license, and that physicians have a duty to provide their patients with accurate, science-based information.
(g) In House Resolution No. 74 of the 2021–22 Regular Session, the California State Assembly declared health misinformation to be a public health crisis, and urged the State of California to commit to appropriately combating health misinformation and curbing the spread of falsehoods that threaten the health and safety of Californians.

SEC. 2.​

Section 2270 is added to the Business and Professions Code, to read:

2270.​

(a) It shall constitute unprofessional conduct for a physician and surgeon to disseminate misinformation or disinformation related to COVID-19, including false or misleading information regarding the nature and risks of the virus, its prevention and treatment; and the development, safety, and effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines.
(b) For purposes of this section, the following definitions shall apply:
(1) “Board” means the Medical Board of California or the Osteopathic Medical Board of California, as applicable.
(2) “Disinformation” means misinformation that the licensee deliberately disseminated with malicious intent or an intent to mislead.
(3) “Disseminate” means the conveyance of information from the licensee to a patient under the licensee’s care in the form of treatment or advice.
(4) “Misinformation” means false information that is contradicted by contemporary scientific consensus contrary to the standard of care.
(5) “Physician and surgeon” means a person licensed by the Medical Board of California or the Osteopathic Medical Board of California under Chapter 5 (commencing with Section 2000).
(c) Section 2314 shall not apply to this section.

SEC. 3.​

The provisions of this act are severable. If any provision of this act or its application is held invalid, that invalidity shall not affect other provisions or applications that can be given effect without the invalid provision or application.

I doubt there is many medications or drugs that as do not have a potential side effects however remote.

If hasha d kids did you get them vaccinated against polio?

The argument that yiu do ot want to get vaccinated because there is a risk for most peole is ridiculous. People who smoke, drink, use recreational drugs, and drive DUI take risks all the time.

Usimg aseirin on a regular basis risks internal bleeding. Taking a lot of Tylenol, aka acetomycin, can damage your kidneys yet prole do it. Itsdays so on the bottle.

Objecting to COVID vaccinations is childish and political. The fear mongers make money on sowing fear. The Hanniys and the Carlsons of the world.

BTW, do yiu get a yearly flu shot? I get my flut shot amd COVID boster in two weeks.

About every 10 tears I get a pneumonia and tetanus booster. How about you? I got my shingles shot a few years ago.

Life could very grim before vaccines. Polio and Tuberculous were epidemic in this country. FDR had polio.

(a) The global spread of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, or COVID-19, has claimed the lives of over 6,000,000 people worldwide, including nearly 90,000 Californians.
“Misinformation” means false information that is contradicted by contemporary scientific consensus contrary to the standard of care.
:hysterical:

"Misinformation" is anything the authoritarians don't like.

This has be one of the most idiotic arguments that appears with tedious regularity.

Objecting to COVID vaccinations is childish and political. The fear mongers make money on sowing fear. The Hanniys and the Carlsons of the world.

I'm not objecting to covid vaccinations, I'm objecting to authoritarianism.

This has be one of the most idiotic arguments that appears with tedious regularity.

I'm not objecting to covid vaccinations, I'm objecting to authoritarianism.
You are objecting to effective COVID vaccinations by calling the things that make them effective "authoritarian".

“Misinformation” means false information that is contradicted by contemporary scientific consensus contrary to the standard of care.

In the real practice of science, the word "consensus" doesn't mean a bunch of scientists get together and vote on what the correct answer should be. You're arguing against a straw man.

In the real practice of science, the word "consensus" doesn't mean a bunch of scientists get together and vote on what the correct answer should be. You're arguing against a straw man.

I'm actually arguing against bonehead dictator Newsom and dimwit Low, two non scientists.

Back
Top Bottom