• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Specifically darwinistic immunity from past infection.

Herd immunity from immunizations was possible, it just wasn't plausible, and it wasn't plausible because of... Fucksticks who decided not to get the jab.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of rotting flesh as it were.
No, we aren't going to see herd immunity.

Had the virus not mutated so much the choice would have been herd immunity from vaccination or herd immunity from infection--and the latter comes at a very high price.
Pay attention to tense. Was possible. Not is. Was.
No--it looked possible but it wasn't. It's a multi-species virus, we couldn't have stopped it.
I think that probably we could have--if the appropriate measures were taken, including mandatory mass vaccinations--world wide as well as lock downs and closing borders to all passengers and/or quarantining all passengers incoming to any destination. But we're too delicate for that. Much easier to have millions of unnecessary deaths if they are not happening to you than to...do something you don't like for a few months.

Much easier to have millions of unnecessary deaths if they are not happening to you than to...do something you don't like for a few months.
:hysterical: The "two weeks to flatten the curve" nonsense that we were told in California. Two years on and they are still dictating to us.

Nope, not going along with that again.

If hasha d kids did you get them vaccinated against polio?

This has be one of the most idiotic arguments that appears with tedious regularity.

Objecting to COVID vaccinations is childish and political. The fear mongers make money on sowing fear. The Hanniys and the Carlsons of the world.

I'm not objecting to covid vaccinations, I'm objecting to authoritarianism.
You are objecting to effective COVID vaccinations by calling the things that make them effective "authoritarian".
Twizzle.

In a courtroom drama it would be said you opened the door to the quetion by your own statements. It goes to 'credibity of the winess'.

So, did yio have your kids vaccinated and do you get flu shots? Both have small risks. If so your aruments against COVID vaccination are hypothetical.

A lot of common treatments hvce potential side effects, why single out COVID vaccines?

You are about as knowledgeable and credible on this thread as you were on climate change. You repeat cliches you hear on antivaxer sites and media.

Much easier to have millions of unnecessary deaths if they are not happening to you than to...do something you don't like for a few months.
:hysterical: The "two weeks to flatten the curve" nonsense that we were told in California. Two years on and they are still dictating to us.

Nope, not going along with that again.
I don't know what's going on in your part of California but where I live there don't seem to be any restrictions. I don't wear a mask, except at a medical facility, all the shops are open, my kids are in school. Other than an occasional jab, which I and my kids get anyway for flu every year (and others for my young kids) I barely notice the presence of the pandemic. Mostly in the few people who walk around outside still wearing masks and that's their choice for whatever good it does or they think it does them. I can only assume that some fraction of them are actually immune-compromised and the other fraction are just paranoid or scared.

Twizzle is clinging to something to rant about with a death grip terrified of letting go.

(a) The global spread of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, or COVID-19, has claimed the lives of over 6,000,000 people worldwide, including nearly 90,000 Californians.
“Misinformation” means false information that is contradicted by contemporary scientific consensus contrary to the standard of care.
:hysterical:

"Misinformation" is anything the authoritarians don't like.
Weak man. That doesn't even reach the level of willful ignorance.

More children and young people are being hospitalized with colds and respiratory problems than ever after the Covid pandemic, official data suggests. Experts have repeatedly warned lockdowns and measures used to contain Covid like face masks also suppressed the spread of germs which are crucial for building a strong immune system in children. A retrospective report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) today showed levels of common cold viruses hit their highest level ever among under-18s in August 2021. Dr Scott Roberts, a medical director at Yale University, today told DailyMail.com that lockdowns robbed children of the chance to build up immunity to common bugs.

Daily Mail

Lockdown has been a catastrophe.

More children and young people are being hospitalized with colds and respiratory problems than ever after the Covid pandemic, official data suggests. Experts have repeatedly warned lockdowns and measures used to contain Covid like face masks also suppressed the spread of germs which are crucial for building a strong immune system in children. A retrospective report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) today showed levels of common cold viruses hit their highest level ever among under-18s in August 2021. Dr Scott Roberts, a medical director at Yale University, today told DailyMail.com that lockdowns robbed children of the chance to build up immunity to common bugs.

Daily Mail

I hope the next time you go to the dentist or need surgery you stick to your principles and insist no masks to be worn.

Daily Mail

Wait, so you're saying masks do work?

... face masks also suppressed the spread of germs which are crucial for building a strong immune system in children...

You are the person that bolded this quote. By inference, you must agree with it therefore you are admitting that masks DO work. @blastula is correct.

Ruth

Wait, so you're saying masks do work?

I said no such thing. I said “Lockdown has been a catastrophe.”
Ahh. So you are merely admitting to basing your conclusions on premises that you believe to be false.

No wonder you come across as irrational.

You are the person that bolded this quote. By inference, you must agree with it therefore you are admitting that masks DO work.

My position has always been masks do not work in stopping/slowing the spread of covid. There is no scientific evidence to support the assertion that masks stop the spread of covid.

You are the person that bolded this quote. By inference, you must agree with it therefore you are admitting that masks DO work.

My position has always been masks do not work in stopping/slowing the spread of covid. There is no scientific evidence to support the assertion that masks stop the spread of covid.

That is completely illogical. Masks do work to suppress the spread of germs required to build strong immunity, but masks do NOT work to suppress the spread of COVID? What exactly do you think COVID is?

Ruth

...Experts have repeatedly warned lockdowns and...face masks also suppressed the spread of germs which are crucial for building a strong immune system in children... lockdowns robbed children of the chance to build up immunity to common bugs.
That is completely illogical. Masks do work to suppress the spread of germs required to build strong immunity,

That’s what the article appears to claim. I don’t necessarily agree with that claim.

but masks do NOT work to suppress the spread of COVID?

That is my position.
You bolded selected wording to support your claim. You cannot use ideology you do not agree with to support a position you hold. By bolding those particular phrases, you indicated your agreement with what they say. Either you consider them truthful or you have lost any support for what you are claiming.

So either protective measures suppressed the spread of germs (including COVID) or they did not. It is that simple. And that includes the masking specifically mentioned in the article and bolded in your quote as part of your argument.

Ruth

You bolded selected wording to support your claim. You cannot use ideology you do not agree with to support a position you hold. By bolding those particular phrases, you indicated your agreement with what they say.

That’s how you interpret it but I’ve already stated I don’t necessarily agree with that claim.

"Dr" Barbara Ferrer, director of health in LA County still obsessing about masks. She was recently pictured without a mask at a concert at SoFi stadium trying to explain it away;

I think she wears a mask during zoom calls!

She also had to admit she hasn't had the latest booster shot.

Back
Top Bottom