• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

If some shithead decides to be an obstinate plague rat at work, possibly endangering others, and gets fired for that, tough! Plague rats can't be allowed to endanger everyone else just because they are stupid.
Plague rats, how quaint and oh so 2021. But anyway, the unvaccinated were never a risk to the vaccinated so I don't know why you are getting your N95 mask all twisted.
The unvaccinated have always been a risk to the vaccinated with any disease. No vaccine is 100% effective and the population always contains a few that can't be vaccinated for medical reasons, as well as a few too young to be vaccinated.

If some shithead decides to be an obstinate plague rat at work, possibly endangering others, and gets fired for that, tough! Plague rats can't be allowed to endanger everyone else just because they are stupid.
Plague rats, how quaint and oh so 2021. But anyway, the unvaccinated were never a risk to the vaccinated so I don't know why you are getting your N95 mask all twisted.
The unvaccinated have always been a risk to the vaccinated with any disease. No vaccine is 100% effective and the population always contains a few that can't be vaccinated for medical reasons, as well as a few too young to be vaccinated.

Then there's the less direct problems.
Plague rats trashed the economy. They filled up hospital beds.
They made the issue much worse than was necessary in a raft of ways.
Tom

There are two women who write about social and political issues, Naomi Klein and Naomi Wolf, women who are often mixed up. One of them, NK, has recently written a book about NW, The Other Naomi: "Doppelganger: A Trip Into the Mirror World " - from German Doppelgänger, a sort of duplicate, literally "double goer" or "double walker". In this case, a sort of evil twin. NK wrote about NW starting out center-left, much like her, and then becoming an antivax conspiracy-monger and friend of Steve Bannon. NK described doing a lot of research for her book, listening to a lot of Steve Bannon's podcasts and the like.
From The Guardian,
Some years ago, I happened to meet a survivalist and conspiracy theorist. He told me he had weapons stashed inside the walls of his house, was ready to use them in defence of “English” women and children, and believed that the BBC was covering up a vast Muslim paedophile ring. It seems uncontroversial to describe this as a “far right” belief system. But the event that first led him to abandon his faith in liberal democracy had nothing to do with the traditional concerns of the right: it was the Iraq war. The internet and Tommy Robinson did the rest.
Seems like horseshoe politics.
Today, things are far more complicated than these simple axes of left-right and liberal-authoritarian imply. The problem in the age of big tech, the climate crisis, Covid lockdowns, online influencers and collapsed trust in “mainstream” politics and media is that everybody has their suspicions that they are being lied to and manipulated – and they’re right. Where they disagree is on the identity of the liars and the purpose of the manipulation. The rhetoric of critique and liberation has become ubiquitous, no longer serving to distinguish left from right, truth from falsehood. Virtually everyone now wants to unmask the elites and decode their messaging in one way or another. For leftist critics such as Naomi Klein, who made their names in a simpler pre-Trump, pre-YouTube age, this provokes an identity crisis.
Including the conspiracy theory that Jews are trying to take over the world, and NK discusses that theory also. She points out that Jews as rapacious capitalists and Jews as Communists was a double identity that was very convenient for the Nazi regime, because despite its name, it was firmly pro-capitalist as long as the capitalists were Real Germans.
Liberals and leftists like to reassure ourselves that we know when to trust the elites (on vaccine safety or climate science, say) and when not to (if corporate branding or billionaire-owned media are involved). But this same attitude of studied suspicion is at work among vaccine sceptics and online wellness communities, all of whom pride themselves on doing their “own research”. Marxists and sociologists have theories as to how money and power knit modern societies together – but so does Steve Bannon.
Rather curiously, right-wing self-styled anti-elitists ignore the contradictions in their positions. They don't howl with outrage at how their heroes had stabbed them in the back by doing things that they don't like. No "We supported your right to run your business however you see fit, but then you turn around and support lots of flaky left-wing causes!!!"
In some cases, Klein confesses, the very fact that conspiracy theorists were energised by something (such as the “lab leak” theory of Covid’s origins, or the privacy consequences of vaccine passports) led her and her comrades to dismiss it, when they had no real grounds to.
Good point about center-right to center-left policymakers. Their policy response was totally inadequate. They should have encouraged masking and vaxxing while enabling people to have an approximately normal existence as much as possible.

Opinion | Naomi Klein, Naomi Wolf and the Political Upside Down - The New York Times by Michelle Goldberg
I’ve been raving about Naomi Klein’s “Doppelganger” since I read an advance copy this summer, and when I tell people about it, some of them are baffled: You mean Klein wrote a whole book about being confused with the writer Naomi Wolf? The central conceit of “Doppelganger” sounds more like the premise for a surreal Charlie Kaufman film than a work by an earnest lefty who usually writes about overweening corporate power. Klein herself is apologetic about it. “In my defense, it was never my intent to write this book,” she says in its first line.

We should all be glad she did, because I can’t think of another text that better captures the berserk period we’re living through.

That obsession, in turn, guides Klein into an examination of what she calls “the Mirror World,” the vertigo-inducing inversion of reality common to contemporary far-right movements. Think, for example, of Vladimir Putin claiming that he’s liberating Ukraine from fascism or Donald Trump howling that his multiple prosecutions are a racist plot to subvert a presidential election. When I spoke to Klein recently, she described how jarring it was to watch protests against Covid measures appropriating left-wing language — common slogans were “I can’t breathe” and “My body, my choice” — making them “this weird doppelganger of the movements that I had been a part of and supported.”
Then discussing Naomi Wolf's 1990 book "The Beauty Myth", about "the toll taken on women by the upward ratchet of unreasonable beauty standards." However, "In retrospect, the seeds of her intellectual decline were already present in that book, which contained both major statistical errors and a conspiratorial subtext that painted the influence of patriarchy as a deliberate plot."

NW's work became "increasingly sloppy and absurd". like in 2019, where she claimed in "Outrages" that several Victorian-Britain men were executed for same-sex relationships. That claim was quickly debunked, and “If you want an origin story, an event when Wolf’s future flip to the pseudopopulist right was locked in, it was probably that moment, live on the BBC, getting caught — and then getting shamed, getting mocked and getting pulped," wrote NK.

"But in channeling the fears of people similarly unmoored by Covid, Wolf seems to have found something like stability, gaining a new audience that accorded her the respect she’d lost." NK wrote about "The Shock Doctrine", rapacious capitalists taking advantage of disasters, but "Wolf peddled a bizarro-world version of that idea, describing the response to the virus as a ploy to impose global totalitarianism."

NK: “Narcissism(Grandiosity) + Social media addiction + Midlife crisis ÷ Public shaming = Right wing meltdown.”

MG: "Somehow, Wolf’s apocalyptic pronouncements about sinister drug companies and imminent technological tyranny speak to these people in a way that the left does not." - even though those are rather anti-capitalist claims.

Book Review: ‘Doppelganger,’ by Naomi Klein - The New York Times
A ‘Mirror World’ Where Leftist Disdain Feeds Right-Wing Paranoia

In her latest book, “Doppelganger,” Naomi Klein investigates an online underworld of conspiracies and misinformation, showing how its rise has inadvertently been fueled by political progressives.

Reading the leftist writer and activist Naomi Klein’s new book, “Doppelganger,” feels like falling down a rabbit hole, albeit a dazzling and erudite one. It begins with Klein’s account of being confused on social media for Naomi Wolf, the feminist intellectual turned rabid anti-vaxxer, whom Klein calls “my big-haired doppelganger.” During the pandemic, Wolf began arguing, online and in a book, that vaccines and other public health measures were a plot by a “transnational group of bad actors” to sterilize people, turn children into drones and undermine the Constitution, among many other unhinged assertions.
The sort of thing that Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene is notable for.
It got to the point that when Wolf would say something outlandish, people would tweet “Thoughts and prayers to Naomi Klein.” Needless to say, it was disturbing for Klein, the serious author of books such as “No Logo” and “The Shock Doctrine,” to be confused with “a person who can’t seem to tell the difference between temporary public health measures and a coup d’état.”
NK then researched and tried to understand NW and her followers. "On her highbrow romp through this disturbing underworld, Klein’s writing is clear, dynamic, ruthlessly honest, imbued with a rare integrity."
By mapping the evolution of her doppelganger, along with other pockets of online paranoia that flourished during the pandemic, Klein traces how well-intentioned liberals begin to mirror the anti-vaxxers: “We defined ourselves against each other and yet were somehow becoming ever more alike, willing to declare each other non-people.” She carefully untangles on the right a “mimicking of beliefs and concerns that feeds off progressive failures and silences.”

In Klein’s view, “When entire categories of people are reduced to their race and gender and labeled ‘privileged,’ there is little room to confront the myriad ways that working-class white men and women are abused under our predatory capitalist order, with left-wing movements losing many opportunities for alliances.” She points out that such reductive labeling is “highly unstrategic,” since the Mirror World is waiting for people alienated or exiled by the left, offering them forums and sympathy.
NK talked about wellness influencers turned antivaxxers to autism to Nazis to Israel to her husband's potential constituents when he ran for Canada's Parliament. She discussed Irish Murdoch, Charlie Chaplin, Philip Roth, Karl Marx, and Sigmund Freud.
If Klein’s jargon can sound like it’s lifted from a slick new Netflix series — with her “Shadow Lands,” “Mirror World” and “doppelgangers” — there is a drama and stylishness to her inquiry that is hard to resist. By deploying the idiom of psychological thrillers, she infuses energy into her often dense or theoretical material.

"If I had to name a single book that makes sense of these last few dark years, it would be this one."

Naomi Klein also mentioned that some anti-vaxxers were anti-vaxxers before COVID-19, and she mentions how some people don't like the idea of wearing lower-face masks to protect people more vulnerable than them. To such people, anyone vulnerable is a weakling or a lazy bum who does not deserve to be protected.

Some people very involved in wellness seem to believe that vaccines are unnecessary because all that is necessary to resist disease organisms is a good diet, good exercise, and that sort of thing.

I don't recall if NK mentioned it, but some COVID-19 anti-vaxxers believe that vaccines can make one shed dangerous vaccine particles, and that that's a good reason to wear a lower-face mask. But she does talk about mirror-image beliefs a lot in her book, and that's clearly a mirror-image belief.

It's like how a lot of crackpottery features mirror-image beliefs. As Martin Gardner noted 70 years ago in "Fads and Fallacies", many crackpots proposes inversions of well-established beliefs.

In the 19th and early 20th cys., many physics crackpots were anti-Newton. But after 1920 or thereabouts, many physics crackpots became anti-Einstein, and often claimed that they were bringing back Newtonian physics. Most recently, one physics crackpot claimed to be bringing back Newtonian and Einsteinian physics in opposition to some present-day theories.

Mathematicians prove that trisection of the angle is impossible using Euclidean tools. So a crackpot does that. Instead of a "pull" of gravity, it is a "push". Instead of germs causing disease, it's disease that causes germs. Glasses don't improve vision, instead making it worse. Cosmology crackpot Cyrus Teed believed in an inside-out Universe, where we are living on the inner surface of a hollow Earth. On a milder level, instead of the Earth being condensed all the way through, some crackpots have believed that the Earth's interior is hollow.

Naomi Klein also mentioned that some anti-vaxxers were anti-vaxxers before COVID-19, and she mentions how some people don't like the idea of wearing lower-face masks to protect people more vulnerable than them. To such people, anyone vulnerable is a weakling or a lazy bum who does not deserve to be protected.
Makes a lot of sense about the MAGAs. They hate weakness--until it comes for them.

Some people very involved in wellness seem to believe that vaccines are unnecessary because all that is necessary to resist disease organisms is a good diet, good exercise, and the like. Some anti-vaxxers seem to think that nasty diseases are somehow beneficial, like the author of the book "Melanie's Marvelous Measles".

I don't recall if NK mentioned it, but some COVID-19 anti-vaxxers claim that vaccines can make one shed dangerous vaccine particles, and that that's a good reason to wear a lower-face mask. But she does talk about mirror-image beliefs a lot in her book, and that's clearly a mirror-image belief.

It's like how a lot of crackpottery features mirror-image beliefs. As Martin Gardner noted 70 years ago in "Fads and Fallacies", many crackpots proposes inversions of well-established beliefs.

In the 19th and early 20th cys., many physics crackpots were anti-Newton. But after 1920 or thereabouts, many physics crackpots became anti-Einstein, and often claimed that they were bringing back Newtonian physics. Most recently, one physics crackpot claimed to be bringing back Newtonian and Einsteinian physics in opposition to some present-day theories.

Mathematicians prove that trisection of the angle is impossible using Euclidean tools. So a crackpot does that. Instead of a "pull" of gravity, it is a "push". Instead of germs causing disease, it's disease that causes germs. Glasses don't improve vision, instead making it worse. Cosmology crackpot Cyrus Teed believed in an inside-out Universe, where we are living on the inner surface of a hollow Earth. On a milder level, instead of the Earth being condensed all the way through, some crackpots have believed that the Earth's interior is hollow.

Well that's fully vaccinated plague rat Bernie Sanders tested positive;

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) said Thursday he tested positive for COVID-19, amid a nationwide spike in infections. The 82-year-old Sanders, said in a post on X, formerly known as Twitter, he was experiencing “minimal” symptoms and will continue to isolate while working from his home in Vermont. “I am glad to be fully up to date with the vaccine,” Sanders wrote.

News

WTF does Bernie actually do?

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) said Thursday he tested positive for COVID-19, amid a nationwide spike in infections. The 82-year-old Sanders, said in a post on X, formerly known as Twitter, he was experiencing “minimal” symptoms and will continue to isolate while working from his home in Vermont. “I am glad to be fully up to date with the vaccine,” Sanders wrote.

News

Bernie said something that all of us educated people already knew.

Vaccination isn't perfect. But it's vastly better than being unvaccinated, an 82 y/o is going home to be careful instead of spreading the Trump virus to everyone he can find.

What problem do you have with responsible behavior?
Tom

During covid YouTube clamped down too much on information flow regarding all aspects of it.

But now watching YouTube recently, the advertisements are full of health scams promoting products and services based on claims like:

- Losing eyesight and hearing have nothing to do with the eyes or ears but only the brain

- Germanium bracelets helps with weight loss

It makes me think that they were not sincere regarding covid information.

It is legal to sell snake oil. Just as long as you use tiny print.

Covid killed a lot of people. Regardless what fucks like failed MMA fighters suggest.

News

Oh dear, a fully vaccinated person got COVID. Stop the presses!

The COVID vaccine is effective at reducing the likelihood of infection, and reducing the severity of symptoms. It is not a guarantee of anything. This is not news. What part of this do you have trouble understanding?

During covid YouTube clamped down too much on information flow regarding all aspects of it.

But now watching YouTube recently, the advertisements are full of health scams promoting products and services based on claims like:

- Losing eyesight and hearing have nothing to do with the eyes or ears but only the brain

They have always had scammy ads. There was enough backlash over the Covid disinformation they actually tried to deal with it, that's all. The usual scammy stuff doesn't provoke enough reaction over any given thing to cause such backlash.

They have always had scammy ads. There was enough backlash over the Covid disinformation they actually tried to deal with it, that's all. The usual scammy stuff doesn't provoke enough reaction over any given thing to cause such backlash.
No one is going to die from wearing a germanium bracelet. Lots of people died from covid misinformation.

No one is going to die from wearing a germanium bracelet. Lots of people died from covid misinformation.
But some of the other stuff actually is dangerous.

"One meta-analysis of 24 studies published in October, for example, found that people who’d had three doses of the COVID vaccine were 68.7 percent less likely to develop long COVID compared with those who were unvaccinated."

Yea, I'll keep getting my boosters. The anti-vaxxers can continue to be the control group and let us know how long 'long covid' can go.

Maher is ridiculously stupid.

Back
Top Bottom