• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

The women’s college softball World Series is currently underway in Oklahoma, aside from some great games going on (unseeded Madison going through) is that the stadium is filled to capacity with spectators. Things really are starting to get back to normal.

June 15th is supposed to be when California opens up and full crowds will be allowed at the baseball.

I have been watching actual medical doctors who treat patients talk about covid for many hours in the past couple months.

It is enlightening because their focus is on doing what works and not on paralysis by analysis or waiting for a massive RCT study to come down the pike on an off patent (drug companies won't sponsor it) medicines. The good doctors who have some freedom see strong results and follow their hunch and won't be fatalistic about covid treatments.

Waiting for a new expensive drug is part of our techno-fix brainwashing. Which is not to say that some new drugs will not be great for this. But all the old off patent drugs were also new drugs at one point.

Medical clinicians who treat hundreds of patients MUST also have a seat at the table at the WHO/CDC/FDA and so on. Not just bureaucrats and research scientists.

As a reminder, I believe in vaccines and am also vaccinated for this.

It is enlightening because their focus is on doing what works and not on paralysis by analysis or waiting for a massive RCT study to come down the pike on an off patent (drug companies won't sponsor it) medicines. The good doctors who have some freedom see strong results and follow their hunch and won't be fatalistic about covid treatments.

Waiting for a new expensive drug is part of our techno-fix brainwashing. Which is not to say that some new drugs will not be great for this. But all the old off patent drugs were also new drugs at one point.

Medical clinicians who treat hundreds of patients MUST also have a seat at the table at the WHO/CDC/FDA and so on. Not just bureaucrats and research scientists.
Good point.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...ation-may-reduce-risk-of-severe-COVID-19.aspx

"In an extensive analysis of more than 73,000 COVID-19 patients, the team found that severe disease outcomes were reduced among individuals previously vaccinated against MMR or Tdap."​

I have been watching actual medical doctors who treat patients talk about covid for many hours in the past couple months.

As a reminder, I believe in vaccines and am also vaccinated for this.

The drug companies obviously aren't going to fund a study of an off-patent drug but that doesn't mean off-patent drugs weren't tested. It's just His Flatulence's favorite failed those tests.

Strange days;

Jon Rahm, the world No. 3 golfer was forced to withdraw from the Memorial Tournament on Saturday after testing positive for COVID-19. He was informed of the positive test on air immediately after the third round, in which he had built up a commanding six-stroke lead.

https://sports.yahoo.com/jon-rahm-t...hdraw-lead-memorial-tournament-224522746.html

Not only a disease so deadly you need a test to know if you have it but doesn’t prevent you kicking the asses of fellow athletes.

Reminds me of the hoopla surrounding the time Justin Turner was pilloried for celebrating with his Dodgers teammates after winning the World Series.

Strange days;

Jon Rahm, the world No. 3 golfer was forced to withdraw from the Memorial Tournament on Saturday after testing positive for COVID-19. He was informed of the positive test on air immediately after the third round, in which he had built up a commanding six-stroke lead.

https://sports.yahoo.com/jon-rahm-t...hdraw-lead-memorial-tournament-224522746.html

Not only a disease so deadly you need a test to know if you have it but doesn’t prevent you kicking the asses of fellow athletes.

It seems like you don’t understand the whole point of trying to prevent asymptomatic carriers from infecting vulnerable people around them. It’s as if you don’t understand how the 500,000 dead people caught the disease, or who they caught it from.

Someone who “had to be tested to know they were sick” brought this disease into my mother’s nursing home, where 25% of the residents died in the next 4 weeks.

It’s like you don’t understand how that works.

I had my second dose of Moderna on Jan 18th.

The NFL sent out 7500 tickets to hospitals. You needed to have your second dose by Jan 19th.

I live in the Tampa area and am a Buccaneer fan.

I got to see Tom Brady kick Kansas City's butt in person because of the vaccine.

I did get pretty sick the night I had the second dose but have not had any problem since. Thank you Moderna.

The NFL sent out 7500 tickets to hospitals. You needed to have your second dose by Jan 19th.

I got to see Tom Brady kick Kansas City's butt in person because of the vaccine.

I did get pretty sick the night I had the second dose but have not had any problem since. Thank you Moderna.

Good for you :smile: , and sorry to hear you got so sick, but it's good to hear that you're alright now.

I was reading about the US AZ stockpile, and I wonder, why sit on it waiting for the FDA?

I mean, I cannot figure out a good reason, because:

1. If the vaccines were not part of the government plan to vaccinate people in the US and the idea is to donate them to other countries, the number of fatalities will be clearly higher if they are donated today than it would have been if they had been donated much sooner, and it will be clearly higher if they are donated one or more months from now than today. In other words, the more they wait, the more people predictably get killed, and of course that is even factoring in the lack of FDA approval.

2. If the vaccines are part of the government plan to vaccinate people in the US and that actually would get more people vaccinated (i.e., if demand still exceeds supply), then why not overrule the FDA and release the vaccines? Surely the risks (even counting blood clots as an expected side effect in a tiny fraction of people) are less than the benefits, and in any case, people can be informed of them before making a choice.

However one slices it, it seems that the government is taking a course of action where a lot more people get ill and killed, and for no apparent reason, so I would like to ask if anyone knows why they're doing this. I mean, for example the Argentinian government has acted and continues to act in a way that results in thousands of more fatalities for no good reason, but it is very easy for any reasonable person mildly familiar with local politics to figure the irrational motivations of the government's actions; but I haven't been able to figure the motivation behind the Biden administration's policy on this.

Good for you :smile: , and sorry to hear you got so sick, but it's good to hear that you're alright now.

People getting sick after the second dose of Moderna is pretty common.

I had it so early I did not know that and was at first thinking I had COVID because I work with COVID patients.

The way medicine advances is people volunteer to be part of experiments. Not crazy mad experiments but experiments that have been looked at from the outside and deemed to be ethical.

With that in mind I gladly got the vaccine as soon as I could.

The response to the vaccine is being closely monitored.

I got to go to the Super Bowl.

That's all I got from the vaccine.

I find irony, and I'm not placing this on Bomb#20 but others, that some want to blame China for this getting out. How dare they?! They let it out of a lab! They weren't safe enough!

The same people that likely were protesting mask wearing and closures. Had this gotten out of a lab, it was likely accidental, where as in America, virus spread was flat out apathetic intentional negligence.

Indeed but I never see you or any of the "wear a fucking mask" fascists gripe about the devastation caused in long care facilities by the ignorant, incompetent and heartless buffoons who allowed infected patients to be discharged into these places. Something like 40% of covid deaths occurred in long care facilities but all you hear about on here is the "karens" or "rat lickers".

Then you have been only selectively listening, not hearing what your stereotype tells you isn’t happening.

You would have missed my gripes about not only that, but also about the rat-lickers who brought the disease to our region and our nursing homes getting them sick in the first place. Our first outbreak cases (beyond travelers, who were tested and quarantined by a cooperative local corporate community) in the area were traced to a person who attended Sturgis, and then worked in his restaurant. Where it was picked up by a churchgoer in a church that refused to wear masks or curtail services, whose do-gooders carried it to our prison and our nursing home.

So the ratlickers brought it in, and then when the hospitals got full, they came back and spread further. It was outrageous and wrong, and I said so. But we know from contact tracing that the returning hospital patients happened after the Sturgis-visiting and then church-going ratlickers introduced it to the facility, and it was already rampant when the first discharges happened.

Yes, the hospital discharges were utterly wrong. We should have had isolation shelters for these people. Very difficult with nursing home level patients, but still should have happened. **AND** the ratlickers should have had a greater care for humanity than for their ego, and never gone to fucking Sturgis or unmasked “worship” in that critical time.

Your accusation of hypocrisy is false. which you’d know if you did not allow confirmation bias to block out the posts that you assume are not there.

I find irony, and I'm not placing this on Bomb#20 but others, that some want to blame China for this getting out. How dare they?! They let it out of a lab! They weren't safe enough!

The same people that likely were protesting mask wearing and closures. Had this gotten out of a lab, it was likely accidental, where as in America, virus spread was flat out apathetic intentional negligence.

Indeed but I never see you or any of the "wear a fucking mask" fascists gripe about the devastation caused in long care facilities by the ignorant, incompetent and heartless buffoons who allowed infected patients to be discharged into these places. Something like 40% of covid deaths occurred in long care facilities but all you hear about on here is the "karens" or "rat lickers".

Then you have been only selectively listening, not hearing what your stereotype tells you isn’t happening.

You would have missed my gripes about not only that, but also about the rat-lickers who brought the disease to our region and our nursing homes getting them sick in the first place. Our first outbreak cases (beyond travelers) in the area were traced to a person who attended Sturgis, and then worked in his restaurant. Where it was picked up by a churchgoer in a church that refused to wear masks or curtail services, whose do-gooders carried it to our prison and our nursing home.

So the ratlickers brought it in, and then when the hospitals got full, they came back and spread further. It was outrageous and wrong, and I said so. But we know from contact tracing that the returning hospital patients happened after the Sturgis-visiting and then church-going ratlickers introduced it to the facility, and it was already rampant when the first discharges happened.

Yes, the hospital discharges were utterly wrong. We should have had isolation shelters for these people. Very difficult with nursing home level patients, but still should have happened. **AND** the ratlickers should have had a greater care for humanity than for their ego, and never gone to fucking Sturgis or unmasked “worship” in that critical time.

Your accusation of hypocrisy is false. which you’d know if you did not allow confirmation bias to block out the posts that you assume are not there.

"wear a fucking mask" fascists ?
Are those like the wear a seatbelt fascists or wear a helmet fascists? OH right - not the same because seatbelts and helmets only protect the wearer. And people actually get fined and even jailed for non-compliance.
Wanting to protect others - that's fascist. I surely hope Swiz wasn't unduly inconvenienced by the horrible fascism of having being encouraged to have minimal respect for other people's lives.
:rolleyes:

I was reading about the US AZ stockpile, and I wonder, why sit on it waiting for the FDA?

I mean, I cannot figure out a good reason, because:

1. If the vaccines were not part of the government plan to vaccinate people in the US and the idea is to donate them to other countries, the number of fatalities will be clearly higher if they are donated today than it would have been if they had been donated much sooner, and it will be clearly higher if they are donated one or more months from now than today. In other words, the more they wait, the more people predictably get killed, and of course that is even factoring in the lack of FDA approval.

2. If the vaccines are part of the government plan to vaccinate people in the US and that actually would get more people vaccinated (i.e., if demand still exceeds supply), then why not overrule the FDA and release the vaccines? Surely the risks (even counting blood clots as an expected side effect in a tiny fraction of people) are less than the benefits, and in any case, people can be informed of them before making a choice.

However one slices it, it seems that the government is taking a course of action where a lot more people get ill and killed, and for no apparent reason, so I would like to ask if anyone knows why they're doing this. I mean, for example the Argentinian government has acted and continues to act in a way that results in thousands of more fatalities for no good reason, but it is very easy for any reasonable person mildly familiar with local politics to figure the irrational motivations of the government's actions; but I haven't been able to figure the motivation behind the Biden administration's policy on this.

Yeah, I don’t understand this either. We should get all vaccines into any arm that wants them, asap. Every new case that we allow is an opportunity for a mution that can come back as an infection that defeats the current vaccine. Our best most safe course is for the whole world to be safe asap. If USAers won’t take the vaccine, we should vaccinate any other country we can, for our own protection.

You would have missed my gripes about not only that, but also about the rat-lickers who brought the disease to our region and our nursing homes getting them sick in the first place. Our first outbreak cases (beyond travelers, who were tested and quarantined by a cooperative local corporate community) in the area were traced to a person who attended Sturgis, and then worked in his restaurant. Where it was picked up by a churchgoer in a church that refused to wear masks or curtail services, whose do-gooders carried it to our prison and our nursing home.

No. TSwizzle' just been riding this nag for a year. Can't get off now.

I don't think the discharges mattered much in the big picture--when it's already rampant adding another case isn't going to make much difference even if they were still infectious.

The FDA can't act unilaterally here--they can't approve an application that hasn't been made.

But if the application has not been made, then the situation is even worse: the FDA will never approve it, and then the Biden administration's policy is to never release the vaccines. It was 20 million back in April, and I'm not sure how many now. But even if they're not making more, how about the people who are getting seriously sick or even dying of covid, who could be saved by these vaccines?

I do not get it.

Back
Top Bottom