• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

barbos and others,

I cannot read the full article. It seems to start talking about codon usage preference, which is something I had mentioned in post#1601. Here is my post:
Regarding CGG issue...

There is an inference of 5% probability for this codon usage.

I question if this is a valid inference once a virus jumps host species.

Agree/Disagree?

Thoughts?

Before discussing, let me say that lately my views have changed somewhat, I agree that two things are suspicious: the location of Wuhan and the spike protein. However, what I am not saying is that I think it's likely a lab leak. I'm not saying that. Things are often continua in life and to me this is one of those things...where we look at this and think in terms of probabilities and unknowns.

Okay, now, having said that, a few things...

At some level, there are some similarities to Intelligent Design arguments and fallacies. At some level there also are not, but I think one should strive not to make those types of arguments or fall into those kinds of traps. So, at this high level, you're arguing, the virus was manufactured (intelligently designed) and someone else is saying, no, it naturally evolved. Then, you're saying, "but look at this little thing here...it's so odd...how could nature have naturally evolved that?"

I'm saying outright, I am over-simplifying the arguments because I don't want the arguments to engage in confirmation bias, cherry-picking, a theory of gaps or any other nonsense. Let me repeat two objections I have posted in the thread.

(1) In post#1562, I linked to a scientific paper that says that furin cleavage sites naturally occur in nature. I even gave a graphic from their published paper:
View attachment 33896

(2) In post#1601, I am questioning specifically the argument of codon usage bias/preference. I've made a specific point. It's there are relationships between a virus' codon usage and its host's codon usage. Let's call virus codon usage V and let's call host codon usage H. Then, sort of--kind of-- V = f(H). But then the virus jumps host. So there is a new H, let's call it H2. You are saying, "Look, V != f(H) at a single point of change of some 12nt without examining the other 1000nt!!!11" But I am saying "Maybe that's because when viruses swap hosts, you should be thinking in terms of V=f(H2)."

It also appears to be more complicated than that...not only is there some statistical distribution of codons it may use under one host, but also whether the particular synonymous codon sequence is used or not may depend upon the function of the particular gene in the host. Sometimes, it is efficient for the virus to have similar codon usage to the host and sometimes it is efficient for the virus to have dissimilar codon usage to the host depending upon the function of the gene. It isn't quite well understood either over the expanse of all functions, all the ones which would be either one or neither. In any case, let F=function of the gene. Then, V=f(H2,F); not V=f(H).

I think it's standard practice to assume the opposite conclusion you want. In this case if you want to show the lab leak hypothesis is well-founded, then you'd want to start with assuming Nature. Next, you want to say, BUT if Nature, then why?! That's your next step. Here, though, you aren't assuming nature the way nature works. Because allegedly under the natural hypothesis, there is some intermediate host or human host, not sure which...where this change would have occurred. So you'd want to consider V=f(H2,F)...but you also wouldn't be cherry-picking just this site in order to make a statistical argument. And you kind of would want to know the intermediate host in order to know if CGG would be rare or not in a coronavirus that infects that host but like I wrote you want to look at the whole change and provide statistics.

Here are some papers on this topic that could be of interest:
Dissimilation of synonymous codon usage bias in virus–host coevolution due to translational selection
Codon usage similarity between viral and some host genes suggests a codon-specific translational regulation
Evolution of Codon Usage Bias in Henipaviruses Is Governed by Natural Selection and Is Host-Specific

However, perhaps there is something still there. Perhaps if someone were to understand furin and look at codon usage bias cleavage sites in viruses with human hosts [or intermediate hosts], we could see if CGG is rare or not, but especially one could construct the ancestor of cov2 virus, examine the changes and check if their codon usage bias in the changes make sense after the jump to intermediate host/human, rather than cherry-picking a specific site where something seems weird and saying "Ahah!" And that doesn't mean to cherry-pick a couple other sites within a > 1000nt change to say those look suspicious, too, but instead to examine the full difference and look at statistics.

Still Suspicious

All the scientific objections above said, it still appears to be plausible that the Wuhan outbreak was related to the Wuhan virus research in some way so that from a package received, sample obtained, or virus manipulated at the WIV lab, another lab or institution, a "leak" could have happened. What makes it a little more suspicious is that the infectiousness seems to have happened very recently and since Wuhan was the first known highly infectious outbreak, one would think the jump to human happened there or near there. When you couple that with the gain of function research which is essentially jump-to-human research, it does look suspicious. I believe China is looking for the source to the outbreak, if it were natural, and so over time as China does not identify the source, I am also becoming more suspicious that the source could have been Wuhan.

Are any of the people booted from social media for reasonably bringing up lab leak as a possibility being reinstated?

Can you name some names?
From what I can tell two guys got an OP-ED published in the WSJ, so umm... not thinking there is some sort of conspiracy against people blaming a lab.

Not that it has been demonstrated at all it was released from a lab, and maybe even doubtful as a MD and Physics prof needed to publish an Op-Ed on this, and not a science article or a peer reviewed article in a journal.
According to Sheldon Cooper, Physics encompass everything including molecular biology, so don't be so dismissive of physicists talking biology.
Other way around, sure.

Don2's Conjecture: For any belief B, you can find a physicist P, such that P not only believes B, but by the time you find them, they will have already attempted to provide a proof of B.

That is an Op-Ed. It is written by a Doctor, but seemingly more of a businessman Steven Quay and Richard Muller, a Global Warming denier Physicist.

And any article that is trying to be scientific that says "But the most compelling reason to favor the lab leak hypothesis is firmly based in science." should be discarded immediately. Of course, this doesn't mean it can't have been manipulated or leaked or whatever, just that the link is to an Op-Ed of people that aren't exactly in the position to be making these exotic claims.
Damn freedom of the press.

Sure, they're allowed to print it. Doesn't mean it isn't utter garbage.

barbos and others,

I cannot read the full article. It seems to start talking about codon usage preference, which is something I had mentioned in post#1601. Here is my post:
Regarding CGG issue...

There is an inference of 5% probability for this codon usage.

I question if this is a valid inference once a virus jumps host species.

Agree/Disagree?

Thoughts?

Before discussing, let me say that lately my views have changed somewhat, I agree that two things are suspicious: the location of Wuhan and the spike protein. However, what I am not saying is that I think it's likely a lab leak. I'm not saying that. Things are often continua in life and to me this is one of those things...where we look at this and think in terms of probabilities and unknowns.

Okay, now, having said that, a few things...

At some level, there are some similarities to Intelligent Design arguments and fallacies. At some level there also are not, but I think one should strive not to make those types of arguments or fall into those kinds of traps. So, at this high level, you're arguing, the virus was manufactured (intelligently designed) and someone else is saying, no, it naturally evolved. Then, you're saying, "but look at this little thing here...it's so odd...how could nature have naturally evolved that?"

I'm saying outright, I am over-simplifying the arguments because I don't want the arguments to engage in confirmation bias, cherry-picking, a theory of gaps or any other nonsense. Let me repeat two objections I have posted in the thread.

(1) In post#1562, I linked to a scientific paper that says that furin cleavage sites naturally occur in nature. I even gave a graphic from their published paper:
View attachment 33896

(2) In post#1601, I am questioning specifically the argument of codon usage bias/preference. I've made a specific point. It's there are relationships between a virus' codon usage and its host's codon usage. Let's call virus codon usage V and let's call host codon usage H. Then, sort of--kind of-- V = f(H). But then the virus jumps host. So there is a new H, let's call it H2. You are saying, "Look, V != f(H) at a single point of change of some 12nt without examining the other 1000nt!!!11" But I am saying "Maybe that's because when viruses swap hosts, you should be thinking in terms of V=f(H2)."

It also appears to be more complicated than that...not only is there some statistical distribution of codons it may use under one host, but also whether the particular synonymous codon sequence is used or not may depend upon the function of the particular gene in the host. Sometimes, it is efficient for the virus to have similar codon usage to the host and sometimes it is efficient for the virus to have dissimilar codon usage to the host depending upon the function of the gene. It isn't quite well understood either over the expanse of all functions, all the ones which would be either one or neither. In any case, let F=function of the gene. Then, V=f(H2,F); not V=f(H).

I think it's standard practice to assume the opposite conclusion you want. In this case if you want to show the lab leak hypothesis is well-founded, then you'd want to start with assuming Nature. Next, you want to say, BUT if Nature, then why?! That's your next step. Here, though, you aren't assuming nature the way nature works. Because allegedly under the natural hypothesis, there is some intermediate host or human host, not sure which...where this change would have occurred. So you'd want to consider V=f(H2,F)...but you also wouldn't be cherry-picking just this site in order to make a statistical argument. And you kind of would want to know the intermediate host in order to know if CGG would be rare or not in a coronavirus that infects that host but like I wrote you want to look at the whole change and provide statistics.

Here are some papers on this topic that could be of interest:
Dissimilation of synonymous codon usage bias in virus–host coevolution due to translational selection
Codon usage similarity between viral and some host genes suggests a codon-specific translational regulation
Evolution of Codon Usage Bias in Henipaviruses Is Governed by Natural Selection and Is Host-Specific

However, perhaps there is something still there. Perhaps if someone were to understand furin and look at codon usage bias cleavage sites in viruses with human hosts [or intermediate hosts], we could see if CGG is rare or not, but especially one could construct the ancestor of cov2 virus, examine the changes and check if their codon usage bias in the changes make sense after the jump to intermediate host/human, rather than cherry-picking a specific site where something seems weird and saying "Ahah!" And that doesn't mean to cherry-pick a couple other sites within a > 1000nt change to say those look suspicious, too, but instead to examine the full difference and look at statistics.

Still Suspicious

All the scientific objections above said, it still appears to be plausible that the Wuhan outbreak was related to the Wuhan virus research in some way so that from a package received, sample obtained, or virus manipulated at the WIV lab, another lab or institution, a "leak" could have happened. What makes it a little more suspicious is that the infectiousness seems to have happened very recently and since Wuhan was the first known highly infectious outbreak, one would think the jump to human happened there or near there. When you couple that with the gain of function research which is essentially jump-to-human research, it does look suspicious. I believe China is looking for the source to the outbreak, if it were natural, and so over time as China does not identify the source, I am also becoming more suspicious that the source could have been Wuhan.

The intermediate host of SARS was not identified until 2017, 15 years after the beginning of the outbreak.

The intermediate host of SARS was not identified until 2017, 15 years after the beginning of the outbreak.

Intermediate was found in 2003 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masked_palm_civet
They finally found the origin in bats in 2017. So now after 17 years of searching caves they have very extensive database of bat viruses, and nothing close to C19 is in there. That's suspicious.

Maybe it's a good thing, because if it's not in bats then there is a chance that it stays that way and there will be no non-human reservoir and if we manage to eradicate this virus in human population that will effectively kill the virus.

Intermediate was found in 2003 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masked_palm_civet
They finally found the origin in bats in 2017. So now after 17 years of searching caves they have very extensive database of bat viruses, and nothing close to C19 is in there. That's suspicious.

Extensive and complete are two different things though. Also, they do have one close to C19 at 96.2%, no?

I had an interesting conversation yesterday.

I went in for my second C19 shot.(definitely more effects than Moderna #1, but still not a big deal)

The health department nurse who administered the shot is a solid Trump supporter. I found this out through conversation.
Paraphrased,

Tom) I'm just glad to finally get my full vaccination. I won't have to wear a mask any more. We'll be nearing herd immunity. We can get the economy going again. We can leave the Trump administration behind!

Nurse) Trump isn't the problem. China is the problem.

Tom) China didn't tell anyone that C19 is no worse than a cold. China didn't tell anyone that masks are useless. China didn't tell anyone that C19 is a hoax by the Democrats. China didn't tell anyone that the country will be open by Easter. That was all Trump.

Nurse) But Trump got the vaccine developed.

Tom) No he didn't. Biden had to start from scratch getting the vaccine to the people who need it.

Nurse) Maybe you don't read the right news. I have lots of friends and relatives who support Trump. Most of them are vaccinated.

Tom) My mother-in-law goes to a Baptist church. A guy there proved that the vaccine has a chip in it, by sticking a piece of plastic to her arm. He claimed that it was a magnet sticking to the chip.

Etc Etc
Much hilarity ensued.

But the conversation was jovial and polite, if spirited. Before I left the clinic, I made sure to go around and thank everyone for what they do. I started with Nurse.

Tom

Predictable;

California Gov. Gavin Newsom has responded to the COVID-19 pandemic with a controlling, micromanaging leadership style that few other governors can match. Even as other states have lifted a lot of COVID-19 restrictions for those who have been vaccinated, following the guidance of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the California Democrat is ordering the state to re-open on his terms, not easing up the rules until June 15. And even though Newsom has declared that the state will be "reopening" that day, he announced Friday that he won't be declaring an end to the emergency and—the big issue here—won't be surrendering his emergency powers.

News

Hopefully this insufferable prick gets recalled.

Employees protest against Houston hospital's policy that all staff must be vaccinated against Covid-19

(CNN)A group of Houston Methodist Hospital workers protested on Monday the health care system's requirement that staffers be vaccinated against Covid-19, according to CNN affiliate KTRK.

Employees had to get the Covid-19 vaccine by June 7, according to Houston Methodist.

More than 100 staffers at Houston Methodist filed a lawsuit on May 28 against the health care system over its vaccine policy, saying the vaccines are "unapproved" and "experimental." The plaintiffs are asking for a temporary injunction against the policy.

Jennifer Bridges, one of the plaintiffs, told KTRK that employees who did not comply with the policy have been suspended. Houston Methodist said any employee that did not comply with the vaccine policy will be suspended for two weeks. If they are still not vaccinated after the two weeks, they will be terminated.

Good.

I am in the process of applying for a job with Queensland Health, as a Database Administrator.

The job is based at a hospital, but obviously doesn't entail much direct interaction with patients.

Nevertheless, if I am successful, I will be required to be vaccinated against Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Chickenpox, Whooping Cough, and Hepatitis B. COVID-19 isn't (yet) on the list of required vaccinations, but I have an appointment to get my first COVID shot tomorrow, so if and when it too becomes mandatory, I should be covered.

If you work in a hospital, it's madness not to be vaccinated against all kinds of diseases (if only for the protection of immune compromised patients). If you run a hospital, not mandating vaccines for your staff is just asking for trouble.

I am in the process of applying for a job with Queensland Health, as a Database Administrator.

The job is based at a hospital, but obviously doesn't entail much direct interaction with patients.

Nevertheless, if I am successful, I will be required to be vaccinated against Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Chickenpox, Whooping Cough, and Hepatitis B. COVID-19 isn't (yet) on the list of required vaccinations, but I have an appointment to get my first COVID shot tomorrow, so if and when it too becomes mandatory, I should be covered.

If you work in a hospital, it's madness not to be vaccinated against all kinds of diseases (if only for the protection of immune compromised patients). If you run a hospital, not mandating vaccines for your staff is just asking for trouble.

Yup. I was in a very similar situation. Had to show vaccination records, be up to date, take an antibody test for one of those, for vaccination records, the hiring institution also wanted lot#s from my primary doctor... because they normally do the tests on-site and record at that level...then each year, I had to get flu shots and be up to date.

It is truly absurd for these people to suddenly take issue.

Given how successful the Pfizer and Maderna vaccines have been demonstrated to be, it's madness not to get vaccinated period. Allergies and other similar reasons excluded. Hospital workers should be fired if they refuse.

Given how successful the Pfizer and Maderna vaccines have been demonstrated to be, it's madness not to get vaccinated period. Allergies and other similar reasons excluded. Hospital workers should be fired if they refuse.

Still under EUA, how is that going to work legally?

I personally am vaccinated for covid.

Royal Caribbean caved to governor deathsentence.
Apparently, Dolven is referring to Florida Governor Ron DeSantis recently signing into law a ban on Covid-19 “vaccine passports.” That means, as of July 1, the Florida state government could fine a cruise ship operator $5,000 each and every time the cruise ship operator requires proof of vaccination to use their services. Assuming that you have hundreds or even thousands of people on your cruise ships, a quick calculation with your fingers and toes will show that defying this order from the Florida state government could quickly put you out of business. So, is the Florida government essentially not allowing businesses to do something that would help keep their customers and staff safer?

DeSantis is a moderate, a Republican-in-name-only.

Had he been a true believer in the Idiotocracy he would have insisted on tests so that people who HAD been vaccinated could be barred from boarding a cruise ship.

You think I'm kidding? Look at the next ZiprHead post:

Dr Wolf, well known for her acclaimed third-wave feminist book The Beauty Myth, posted a wide-range of unfounded theories about vaccines.

One tweet claimed that vaccines were a "software platform that can receive uploads".

She also compared Dr Anthony Fauci, the top Covid adviser in the US, to Satan to her more than 140,000 followers.

Most recently, she tweeted that the urine and faeces of people who had received the jab needed to be separated from general sewage supplies while tests were done to measure its impact on non-vaccinated people through drinking water.

Tell me this Naomi Wolf works for The Onion. Please.

DeSantis is a moderate, a Republican-in-name-only.

Had he been a true believer in the Idiotocracy he would have insisted on tests so that people who HAD been vaccinated could be barred from boarding a cruise ship.

You think I'm kidding? Look at the next ZiprHead post:

Dr Wolf, well known for her acclaimed third-wave feminist book The Beauty Myth, posted a wide-range of unfounded theories about vaccines.

One tweet claimed that vaccines were a "software platform that can receive uploads".

She also compared Dr Anthony Fauci, the top Covid adviser in the US, to Satan to her more than 140,000 followers.

Most recently, she tweeted that the urine and faeces of people who had received the jab needed to be separated from general sewage supplies while tests were done to measure its impact on non-vaccinated people through drinking water.

Tell me this Naomi Wolf works for The Onion. Please.

There were a few hints she was going bonkers months ago. I didn't agree with her much politically, but she was very cogent and sensible for the most part.

This is ironic seeing this video with Wolf being highly intelligent and normal and the lech Rose being the moderator

Anyway, she is in dire need of a mental health intervention.

Yesterday while walking, overheard two old ladies talking. One complained about temperature and other flu-like symptoms. The other mentioned other woman who has been sick for 2 weeks.

I had an interesting conversation yesterday.

I went in for my second C19 shot.(definitely more effects than Moderna #1, but still not a big deal)

The health department nurse who administered the shot is a solid Trump supporter. I found this out through conversation.
Paraphrased,

Tom) I'm just glad to finally get my full vaccination. I won't have to wear a mask any more. We'll be nearing herd immunity. We can get the economy going again. We can leave the Trump administration behind!

Nurse) Trump isn't the problem. China is the problem.

Tom) China didn't tell anyone that C19 is no worse than a cold. China didn't tell anyone that masks are useless. China didn't tell anyone that C19 is a hoax by the Democrats. China didn't tell anyone that the country will be open by Easter. That was all Trump.

Nurse) But Trump got the vaccine developed.

Tom) No he didn't. Biden had to start from scratch getting the vaccine to the people who need it.

Nurse) Maybe you don't read the right news. I have lots of friends and relatives who support Trump. Most of them are vaccinated.

Tom) My mother-in-law goes to a Baptist church. A guy there proved that the vaccine has a chip in it, by sticking a piece of plastic to her arm. He claimed that it was a magnet sticking to the chip.

Etc Etc
Much hilarity ensued.

But the conversation was jovial and polite, if spirited. Before I left the clinic, I made sure to go around and thank everyone for what they do. I started with Nurse.

Tom
Funny. :D

Seriously, both Trump and the Chinese regime are problems, but didn't Trump get some of the vaccines developed? Well, Trump and a lot of other people, but that is always the case. As far as I can tell, Trump did get that done (though of course he also made plenty of disastrous decisions), not Biden. What did Biden have to start from scratch? (I've not been following the details, so you may be right, but it's not what I read).

Back
Top Bottom