• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.
  • 2021 Internet Infidels Fundraising Drive
    Greetings! Time for the annual fundraiser.Sorry for the late update, we normally start this early in October. Funds are needed to keep II and IIDB online. I was not able to get an IIDB based donations addon implemented for this year, I will make sure to have that done for next year. You can help support II in several ways, please visit the Support Us page for more info. Or just click:

I will try to track all donations from IIDB. Many thanks to those that have already donated. The current total is $778. If everyone dontated just $5, we would easily hit our goal.

Covid-19 miscellany

barbos

Contributor
All time record deaths per day and infections per day in Russia. And one woman who thought if she gets infected from someone with mild case of Covid she would have mild case as well. She purposely infected herself and her children. Husband too. She is dead now from Covid.

blastula

Contributor
Good riddance to their tasteless fries, interminable drive thrus, and their obnoxious packaging with preachy bible verses.

I enjoy an In and Out burger now and again. The fries are really quite good too. The one near me is always really busy. It's the only place I ever buy takeout hamburger.

Nothing against the burgers or shakes. I just find that fresh made fries are, it turns out, inferior to McD's chemically infused grease sticks. Best bet is to get in their drive thru line and order McD fries through Doordash and it should be delivered to you before you reach the window.

jab

Veteran Member
Colin Powell has died.

He was 84, and was vaccinated.

also sufferign from and being treated for multiple mylenoma--both the disease and the treatment seriously compromise your immune system. When was Powell fully vaxxed, and had he received a booster shot? My brother in his mid-60s has multiple mylenoma, was fully vaxxed in the spring, and was slotted by his doc for a booster in September.

jab

Veteran Member
Good riddance to their tasteless fries, interminable drive thrus, and their obnoxious packaging with preachy bible verses.

I enjoy an In and Out burger now and again. The fries are really quite good too. The one near me is always really busy. It's the only place I ever buy takeout hamburger.

Nice, a tolerant atheist--doesn't let paying for the spread of Bible verses get in the way of the non-Michelle-Obama-approved food they like. Yum yum. I wonder is their food in and quickly out?

TSwizzle

Contributor
Good grief;

GPs in England are threatening industrial action in protest at the government’s attempt to force them to see any patient who wants a face-to-face appointment. The British Medical Association’s GPs committee voted unanimously to reject the plan by the health secretary, Sajid Javid, which included “naming and shaming” surgeries that see too few patients in person. Dr Judah Eastwell, a GP at St Johns medical centre in Altrincham, UK, consults a patient via a video link to their home. The doctors’ union has decided to hold a ballot on possible industrial action, which could result in family doctors at the 6,600 practices in England reducing the work they undertake.

Teh Grauniad

Face to face meeting with patients is just too much to ask these heroes I guess.

Toni

Contributor
I wish it was here. I still get sidelong looks and snarky remarks when I go out masked.

Ruth

Yeah, I ignore that kind of thing, just like I ignored the overheard remark about 'why didn't she get vaxxed?' Of course I did but not enough people did and while I did go out without a mask for...maybe 2 months, I still restricted my forays into uncrowded spaces and off hours. And continue to do so now that I'm masking again.

none

Banned
All time record deaths per day and infections per day in Russia. And one woman who thought if she gets infected from someone with mild case of Covid she would have mild case as well. She purposely infected herself and her children. Husband too. She is dead now from Covid.

I'll eat your galaxy.

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Okay, so we got a memo at work. As a government contractor, we're accountable for the government's mandate. Employees will be vaccinated by 8 Dec or provide a well-documented exception. If you're not fully vaccinated by 8 Dec 2021, you will get one month unpaid leave to get jabbed (and the post-jab period needed), or you'll be terminated.

Boss' boss held a meeting to 'answer' questions.
First question thrown out, 'Why is this company giving in to a government demand?'

We're General Dynamics Mission Systems. We make weapon systems. We tried to expand out of purely government contracts and failed. The government is our only customer. If we don't cooperate with the mandate, we lose the contracts and we don't get paid and everyone gets laid off. Seems pretty fucking obvious.

I really thought we were at least THAT smart...

barbos

Contributor

I'll eat your galaxy.
what does it mean?

Meanwhile both records were broken today again.

T.G.G. Moogly

Formerly Joedad
Okay, so we got a memo at work. As a government contractor, we're accountable for the government's mandate. Employees will be vaccinated by 8 Dec or provide a well-documented exception. If you're not fully vaccinated by 8 Dec 2021, you will get one month unpaid leave to get jabbed (and the post-jab period needed), or you'll be terminated.

First question thrown out, 'Why is this company giving in to a government demand?'

We're General Dynamics Mission Systems. We make weapon systems. We tried to expand out of purely government contracts and failed. The government is our only customer. If we don't cooperate with the mandate, we lose the contracts and we don't get paid and everyone gets laid off. Seems pretty fucking obvious.

The explanation is complacency. When people have things for a long time they start to believe they'll always have those things. They forget why they're coming to work and who they're working for.

Keith&Co.

Contributor
The explanation is complacency. When people have things for a long time they start to believe they'll always have those things. They forget why they're coming to work and who they're working for.
Neat trick, some of these are people who deal with the customer directly (obviously not the engineers), and talk about the government demands, how to meet the government demands, or which government rep they hope reviews their project.
Plus, the whole damned BUILDING is Government property we rent from Special Projects. It's a mind numbing trick of amnesia to ignore our involvement with, dependency on, the government. There are people in military uniform walking through the halls and attending meetings, asking (admittedly stupid) questions....
Of course, these are the people that were surprised they could not play Pokémon Go inside the plant, and kept saying, "Well, it's not like we're actually using the cameras on the phones!"

Gods, i hate humans sometimes.

lpetrich

Contributor
CDC signs off on Moderna and Johnson & Johnson boosters and says people can get a shot different from their original one - The Washington Post - "The decision means that those eligible for boosters can choose any of the three now authorized in the United States"
“The evidence shows that all three COVID-19 vaccines authorized in the United States are safe — as demonstrated by the over 400 million vaccine doses already given,” Walensky said in a statement Thursday night, several hours after receiving unanimous recommendations from the expert panel, called the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices. “And, they are all highly effective in reducing the risk of severe disease, hospitalization, and death, even in the midst of the widely circulating delta variant.”

“I agree that those who received a [Johnson & Johnson] vaccine should receive a second dose — I would prefer that those individuals get an mRNA vaccine” rather than a second Johnson & Johnson shot, said advisory panel member Pablo J. Sanchez, a pediatrician at Ohio State University.

Noting nCoV_template_PPT_GEN_PUB - 12-COVID-Reddy-508.pdf at the CDC

Saying that one should receive if one is is >= 65 years old, >= 18 years old and residing in some long-term care facility, or 50 - 64 years old with certain medical conditions

One may receive it if one is 18 - 49 years old with certain medical conditions, or 18 - 64 years old at greater risk of the disease from one's workplace

In general, one should get the same booster shot as one's original shots.

They have opened up booster shots to everyone over 18 who got the J&J originally. My son got that one in March as it was the only one available locally at that time, and he got the Moderna booster today. He was very pleased.

Ruth

lpetrich

Contributor
Minimum ages:
  • Pfizer: 12
  • Moderna: 18
  • J&J: 18
Pfizer was recently approved for ages 12 - 18, and Moderna and J&J are still in testing for that age range. Pfizer and Moderna are currently being tested for ages 5 - 12.

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member

Those who say that there is no such thing as a dumb question are wrong. WOW.

Angra Mainyu

Veteran Member
Minimum ages:
Pfizer was recently approved for ages 12 - 18, and Moderna and J&J are still in testing for that age range. Pfizer and Moderna are currently being tested for ages 5 - 12.
Is that because of the types of vaccines available in the US (mRNA or viral vector)?

Over here, the minimum age is 3 for the Sinopharm vaccine (inactivated virus), and the vaccination campaign has already begun without any complications (well, except it took ages for the government to get the vaccines due to negligence, but that aside, now it's working alright).

Keith&Co.

Contributor
'Why is this company giving in to a government demand?'

Because they butter your bread. They’re the only one buttering your bread.
Oh, and stand over there.

Yes, way over there.... the main topic of conversation sll day involved people who 'lost' their vax cards.
But the same memo that informed us of the mandate shared steps, contacts, and links to replace any lost cards. Quite convenient. I know the process isn't, but the answer is right there.

Unless...you didn't actually get jabbed... and are now whining that the company should accept the honor system like they did when the vax was first available. Because OTHER people might lose their jobs....

I wonder if the company took the mandate as a blessing? Now, if they end up firing people who lied about being vaccinated, it's the government's fault, not GD's.

And, really, considering how many of us need a security clearance to do our jobs, i am okay with losing people willing to lie to our employer.

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Yes, way over there.... the main topic of conversation sll day involved people who 'lost' their vax cards.
[…] Unless...you didn't actually get jabbed...
[…]And, really, considering how many of us need a security clearance to do our jobs, i am okay with losing people willing to lie to our employer.

Indeed.

repoman

Contributor
They have opened up booster shots to everyone over 18 who got the J&J originally. My son got that one in March as it was the only one available locally at that time, and he got the Moderna booster today. He was very pleased.

Ruth

Do you think it will or should happen that a booster for a first JJ shot will be required?

lpetrich

Contributor
Pfizer Asks F.D.A. to Authorize Its Covid-19 Vaccine for Children 5 to 11 - The New York Times
The companies say they are submitting data supporting the change to the Food and Drug Administration. The agency has promised to move quickly on the request and has tentatively scheduled a meeting on Oct. 26 to consider it. An F.D.A. ruling is expected as early as Halloween.

A meeting of expert advisers to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has been scheduled for Nov. 2 and 3, according to people familiar with the planning. The C.D.C.’s recommendations are typically the federal government’s last word on vaccine policy.

Pfizer has proposed giving children one-third of the adult dosage.
Nothing yet on Moderna or J&J for under 18.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
[TWEET]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Candace Owens says we should invade Australia. “Australia currently, make no mistake, is a tyrannical police state. It’s citizens are quite literally being imprisoned against their will. So when do we deploy?” <a href="https://t.co/t8zHNNVMSe">pic.twitter.com/t8zHNNVMSe</a></p>— Ron Filipkowski (@RonFilipkowski) <a href="https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1451295349293953028?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 21, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/TWEET]..

Ruth

Do you think it will or should happen that a booster for a first JJ shot will be required?
Will happen? Very likely, from what I read. Should happen? Absolutely. Even scientists are saying that the J&J should have been a two shot vaccine to begin with, like the others. Even with two doses, though, the protection is less than the mRNA shots, so I suspect the J&J vaccine will probably fade out of existence due to lack of use.

Ruth

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Candace Owens says we should invade Australia. “Australia currently, make no mistake, is a tyrannical police state. It’s citizens are quite literally being imprisoned against their will. So when do we deploy?”

Invade? To....? I mean, as a goal...?

Invading will cost lives. Any military action costs lives, even training. And that's if there's no resistance, and we don't shoot a puppy, our soldiers and sailors and Marines are experts at finding stupid ways to die, often in ways we JUST COVERED in a safety stand-down.

So, we'll expend some positive number pf American lives to take over a country and 'free' them to move about freely, licking those plague rats, until their "unnecessary deaths from an identified disease" begins to approach a significant fraction of our own?
So, we ARE a Death Cult?

My country takes my breath,
Sweet land of megadeath,
Of thee I sing;

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Minimum ages:
Is that because of the types of vaccines available in the US (mRNA or viral vector)?

Over here, the minimum age is 3 for the Sinopharm vaccine (inactivated virus), and the vaccination campaign has already begun without any complications (well, except it took ages for the government to get the vaccines due to negligence, but that aside, now it's working alright).

It's a matter of our fairly strict drug regulation. You can't approve a drug for a population it wasn't tested on. Tests involving kids are always harder and more expensive and Covid harm skews strongly older, they didn't include kids in the original test population. After success Pfizer started doing tests on kids, the 12-15 band has already been approved and they're working on 5-11. Presumably there will be another round of testing for the under 5s.

Angra Mainyu

Veteran Member
Minimum ages:

It's a matter of our fairly strict drug regulation. You can't approve a drug for a population it wasn't tested on. Tests involving kids are always harder and more expensive and Covid harm skews strongly older, they didn't include kids in the original test population. After success Pfizer started doing tests on kids, the 12-15 band has already been approved and they're working on 5-11. Presumably there will be another round of testing for the under 5s.

I see. Then I'd say that lack of flexibility does not seem to be a good idea. I mean, the fact is that children aren't getting the vaccines, and then they're getting infected, and then they're passing the virus to the adults in their families, and some (many) of them are dying or suffering serious long-term consequences, which is very bad for them of course, but also of course much worse for the kids than the expected negative consequences from the minimum risks of a vaccine - assuming the risks aren't much greater than with a "dead-virus" vaccine (granted, Sinopharm's vaccine was tested also on children in China, but a lack of speedy tests is also a problem. )

Meanwhile, over here, in spite of a seriously incompetent government, a much weaker health care system than America's, mediocre laws and worse enforcement, kids older than 3 are getting vaccinated, which predictably will have better overall results for them and for the rest of the population than the US approach. I think the US should upgrade its approach on this one.

bilby

Fair dinkum thinkum
[TWEET]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Candace Owens says we should invade Australia. “Australia currently, make no mistake, is a tyrannical police state. It’s citizens are quite literally being imprisoned against their will. So when do we deploy?” <a href="https://t.co/t8zHNNVMSe">pic.twitter.com/t8zHNNVMSe</a></p>— Ron Filipkowski (@RonFilipkowski) <a href="https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1451295349293953028?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 21, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/TWEET]..

Reality has completely ceased to exist for these fools, hasn't it?

They don't even care whether their nonsensical ideas have any basis whatsoever. It's truly beyond belief that they aren't in secure psychiatric accommodation for their own protection.

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
It seems that political crazy, even when dangerous, will never result in psychiatric evaluation. It would appear political even when it's crazy and dangerous.

thebeave

Veteran Member
My nephew took the jab. When it cam down to losing his very decent job of 19 years or taking the jab he took the jab. Smart man.
Kinda reminds me of when I was a little kid and my older brother would pin me down on the floor, and dangle a long, hanging lougie over my face. I would squirm and yell. I had to say "uncle" to make it end, then he would quickly slurp it up. Smart kid, I was.

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Okay, so we got a memo at work. As a government contractor, we're accountable for the government's mandate. Employees will be vaccinated by 8 Dec ...or terminated.
Boss' boss came to our morning meeting with answers to questions from the last meeting. He's trying REALLY hard not to name names. There's answers for who gets terminated, in what way, and when, with generic "and we will reorganize as necessary in reaction to those losses."
Of course, everyone at the meeting knows who was most het up about the mandate and we immediately went to specifics. "What DOES John Doe do for us, and how screwed are we going to be when he leaves?"
"Didn't we hire an alternate for Jane Doe last year or will someone have to spin up on her Librarian duties in the next two months?"
Watching boss try to hem and haw without committing or commenting or naming was probably the most amusing thing i'll see this week.
At least until they try to make me the Librarian...

Jarhyn

Contributor
With all these new variants coming out, a clearer picture is emerging that dangerous mutarions in spike protein naturally occur.
As I understand, it is one of the more desirable traits to have of viruses that your evolution as hosts to such relies on effective annihilation of anything that dares try to eat you, especially as that which eats the things which infect them.

It makes sense continued pressure in that direction will always be followed. Take the message: don't eat bats.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member

I see. Then I'd say that lack of flexibility does not seem to be a good idea. I mean, the fact is that children aren't getting the vaccines, and then they're getting infected, and then they're passing the virus to the adults in their families, and some (many) of them are dying or suffering serious long-term consequences, which is very bad for them of course, but also of course much worse for the kids than the expected negative consequences from the minimum risks of a vaccine - assuming the risks aren't much greater than with a "dead-virus" vaccine (granted, Sinopharm's vaccine was tested also on children in China, but a lack of speedy tests is also a problem. )

Meanwhile, over here, in spite of a seriously incompetent government, a much weaker health care system than America's, mediocre laws and worse enforcement, kids older than 3 are getting vaccinated, which predictably will have better overall results for them and for the rest of the population than the US approach. I think the US should upgrade its approach on this one.

I do agree it's a bit inflexible at times, but the world has had a horrible lesson in not testing on all target populations: Thalidomide. Safe for people, devastating for bodies being developed. (To this day it sees cautious use for it's ability to prevent blood vessels from developing. The bend-over-backwards caution in using it is to ensure no conceptions while using it, not due to danger to the user.)

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
With all these new variants coming out, a clearer picture is emerging that dangerous mutarions in spike protein naturally occur.
As I understand, it is one of the more desirable traits to have of viruses that your evolution as hosts to such relies on effective annihilation of anything that dares try to eat you, especially as that which eats the things which infect them.

It makes sense continued pressure in that direction will always be followed. Take the message: don't eat bats.

The 2012 event (probably a Covid version but never confirmed) was miners, not bat-eaters. People around bats, jumps will happen.

Trausti

Contributor
Insanity.

FClGMRnVgAQ5rF1

FClGM2XVkAEIqIg

Angra Mainyu

Veteran Member

I do agree it's a bit inflexible at times, but the world has had a horrible lesson in not testing on all target populations: Thalidomide. Safe for people, devastating for bodies being developed. (To this day it sees cautious use for it's ability to prevent blood vessels from developing. The bend-over-backwards caution in using it is to ensure no conceptions while using it, not due to danger to the user.)

As always, the people making the policies ought to consider the risks involved in vaccinating vs. the risks involved in not doing so, Thalidomide notwithstanding. And the risk seems negligible with a dead virus vaccine (what's going to do to them?), so I was asking whether it was due to the types of vaccines used in the US. Even so, if the risk is so great with those vaccines, the lack of tests so far is in itself a problem.

Jarhyn

Contributor

The 2012 event (probably a Covid version but never confirmed) was miners, not bat-eaters. People around bats, jumps will happen.
The point is, don't fuck with bats.

I do not expect anything less of a creature whose diet consists somewhat or greatly in many of it's familial quarters of fresh blood meals of all species on earth, from high frequency vectors.

Mosquitoes are fucking disgusting though, so thanks bats for eating them! Eat more of them, please.

Mea culpa.

It would be nice to find broad spectrum coronavirus vaccine, but we should really leave bats alone.

With regards to mining and other bat adjacent activities, I saw a video about a well designed robotic arm using artificial fiber muscles. The mobility was pretty fantastic! I imagine we are not all that far off from remote piloting one like a video game and mining that way, when it's necessary. Can't get black lung from a VR headset. Just need good enough assist, and for the love of fuck, back up the ML substructure on a regular basis.

And don't fuck with bats.

blastula

Contributor

Ruth

Will happen? Very likely, from what I read. Should happen? Absolutely. Even scientists are saying that the J&J should have been a two shot vaccine to begin with, like the others. Even with two doses, though, the protection is less than the mRNA shots, so I suspect the J&J vaccine will probably fade out of existence due to lack of use.

Ruth

The J&J effectiveness for two shots was comparable to the mrna ones, and J&J has shown less waning than the mrnas.

I got the J&J and will get a booster but go with Moderna as well, just to cover my bases better hopefully. I don't think a booster is so necessary for my own health at this time, but I will get it because I will be in contact with some higher risk family members.

T.G.G. Moogly

Formerly Joedad

I'll eat your galaxy.
what does it mean?

Meanwhile both records were broken today again.
Help me understand why Russians are not getting the jab. I think they're at 32%. The U.S. for all it's idiotic anti-vaxxers is at 56%. What's with the Russians? A BBC article I read says the Russian people really don't trust the authorities and so don't trust the Russian vaccines. Is that all it is?

lpetrich

Contributor
FDA advisers back Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine for kids 5 to 11 years old - CBS News
"I do think we need it as a tool in our armamentarium for high risk children, for equity issues, for parents who really would like to protect their children, and because of the long term, very profound implications of schools being disrupted," Dr. Mark Sawyer, one of the panel's members, said ahead of the vote.

Seventeen members of the committee voted in favor of authorizing the shots, and one abstained.

"Far from being spared from this harm of COVID-19, in the 5-to-11-year-old age range there have been over 1.9 million infections, over 8,300 hospitalizations, about a third of which have required intensive care unit stays, and over 2,500 cases of multisystem inflammatory disorder from COVID-19," Dr. Peter Marks, the FDA's top vaccines official, told the panel as it began its meeting.

The FDA's advisers were also presented with figures tallying the growing toll of the disease in younger children, underscoring a public health need to avert more severe cases and other disruptions from COVID-19 outbreaks.

"There have also been close to 100 [COVID-19] deaths, making it one of the top 10 causes of death in this age range during this time," added Marks.

"Vaccinating children has other large societal benefits: for example, children likely play an important role in transmission and vaccinating children can help reach herd immunity," Dr. William Gruber, Pfizer's senior vice president of vaccine clinical research and development, told the panel.

In weighing the risks of Pfizer's vaccine, much of the panel's discussion focused on concerns over rare cases of heart inflammation known as myocarditis and pericarditis, seen mostly in younger male recipients of the mRNA-based vaccines made by Pfizer and Moderna.
No word on Moderna or J&J vaccines for anyone under 18, and no word on the Pfizer vaccine for anyone under 5.

Top Bottom