• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

These idiots were calling COVID a scam! WTF is wrong with people! Nobody is making them take the vaccine. Why are they interfering with those who want the vaccine? They organized this online and told those who protested to leave their MAGA hats etc. at home. :rolleyes:

It’s Los Angeles. I’m surprised the turnout was so few considering the number of mental cases we have here. But in any event it was a peaceful protest.

The authoritarians will enjoy this;

During a protest against the imposition of a nationwide 9pm curfew in Eindhoven last Sunday, a police truck turned its water cannon on a young woman who was hurled against a concrete wall so hard that she appeared to bounce off it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...d-writes-FLEUR-LAUNSPACH.html#article-9203323

More of this to come I expect.

That's the Daily Fail, we have no idea what really happened.

Yet where schools reopen we see outbreaks. Can’t seem to post the link on iPad but a google search of Covid outbreaks in schools shows:
30 Colorado schools had outbreaks since January
10 new school out breaks in NJ
Covid outbreaks triple in Michigan k-12 schools
32 cases linked to 3 schools in VA.
Yet teachers are deplorable for wanting vaccines before returning to spending all day in enclosed spaces with large groups in close proximity.

Have you seen the new CDC study? Can you reconcile its conclusions with your comments?

I am looking at the actual evidence of what happens when schools reopen: we see outbreaks. The CDC study I have seen does not reflect actual school reopening. It references small groups of students in a cohort. That is not how schools function. I have when in school classes of 32 students in a closed air space for 2 hours at a time. The students interact with far less than 2 meters of space between them. This is not a safe way to have classes.
When the schools open we see outbreaks.

Yet where schools reopen we see outbreaks. Can’t seem to post the link on iPad but a google search of Covid outbreaks in schools shows:
Yet teachers are deplorable for wanting vaccines before returning to spending all day in enclosed spaces with large groups in close proximity.

Have you seen the new CDC study? Can you reconcile its conclusions with your comments?

I am looking at the actual evidence of what happens when schools reopen: we see outbreaks. The CDC study I have seen does not reflect actual school reopening. It references small groups of students in a cohort. That is not how schools function. I have when in school classes of 32 students in a closed air space for 2 hours at a time. The students interact with far less than 2 meters of space between them. This is not a safe way to have classes.
When the schools open we see outbreaks.

We can expect more of this sort of thing. Because Trump rather famously chose top agency officials for loyalty, rather than objectivity and competence.

Reminds me of an old joke.
An executive is interviewing for a new accountant. He asks the first applicant, "How much is 2+4?". The applicant responds, "6". The executive smiles and says "Thanks, we'll call you."
He asks the second applicant "How much is 3+5?" The applicant responds, "8". The executive smiles and says, "Thanks. We'll call you."
He asks the third applicant, "How much is 2+5?". The applicant responds "How much do you want it to be?" The executive smiles and says "Congratulations! You're hired!"

Tom

One of my computer repair clients just called me. The guy's a quadriplegic, paralyzed from the neck down and uses a machine to breath for him.

I asked him if he has gotten his vaccine yet. He said "I'm not going to get that shit. I don't want another arm growing out of my back."

Unbelievable. The guy has to actually rely on science and technology for his very life and has this attitude.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/01/world/australia/perth-lockdown.html

Half measures don't work.

Serious responses get results.

It turns out that you can't negotiate or compromise with a virus.

Why don't you just, like the rest of the civilized world, give up contact tracing, keep restaurants locked for months at a time and go back and forth opening/closing schools and non-essential shopping every few weeks and declare you are doing super fine and everything worked as planned when new cases stabilize at 130 per week per 100k inhabitants, because your neighbour is still at 200/100k/week.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/01/world/australia/perth-lockdown.html

Half measures don't work.

Serious responses get results.

It turns out that you can't negotiate or compromise with a virus.
The US is peaking near 300,000 cases a day, and attendance is allowed at NFL games because it is the playoffs. Meanwhile attendance at BBL games is allowed because the virus isn't all over the country.

The only way to stop it is to suffocate it. It is a lot easier to stop the spread of a disease when you know 10 people have it, instead of 10,000.

Starting this thread for more general covid posts, especially as an alternative to the "The Virus - Are You Affected?" thread to hopefully keep that one more about our personal impacts.

I'll start with this surreal video, where I learned that masks are for child molesters.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/tommyxtopher/status/1305164232346959873?s=20[/TWEET]

Yeah, wearing a mask and a police officer suffocating Floyd to death is exactly the same thing. Lol. These people are lunatics. What I'd like to know is why we're still letting them breed, let alone breathe.

One of my computer repair clients just called me. The guy's a quadriplegic, paralyzed from the neck down and uses a machine to breath for him.

I asked him if he has gotten his vaccine yet. He said "I'm not going to get that shit. I don't want another arm growing out of my back."

Unbelievable. The guy has to actually rely on science and technology for his very life and has this attitude.

Hey, what became of our head-explode smilie?

Missouri lawmaker indicted for allegedly selling fake stem cell treatments for Covid-19
Patricia Derges charged patients for “regenerative” stem cell treatments, but instead gave them amniotic fluid that didn't contain stem cells, an indictment said.

A Missouri state representative was charged in a 20-count indictment that alleged she fraudulently administered treatments, including for Covid-19, that falsely claimed to have stem cells.

Patricia Ashton Derges, 63, allegedly gave so-called “regenerative” treatments to clients who came to the Ozark Valley Medical Clinic looking for treatment for various illnesses, according to a grand jury indictment unsealed Monday.

The clinic offered its patients amniotic fluid that claimed to have stem cells, but in fact was acellular, without stem cells.

After Derges made false claims on a Springfield television station in April that stem cells could treat Covid-19, an investigation was launched, the FBI said in a statement on Monday.

What exactly is deplorable about wanting to be vaccinated before returning to spend 2 hours at a time in an enclosed space with 32 students?

Because the "science and data" that Newsom has been banging on about says it's safe to go back in to the classroom and the teachers refuse to do their job.

This needs some unpacking. The explanation given for this was from an epidemiologist on TWIV.

The kids aren't getting sick in school. Schools are great at preventing virus spread. What happens when they open schools is that kids meet, they become excited to meet their friends again and they start playing and hanging out OUTSIDE school after school hours. Opening the schools leads to a social change outside schools. When the schools were closed the kids did not go and hang out with their friends. They only talked to them on-line.

This a hard problem to solve. So you can't just look at the numbers of viruses and conclude that schools spread viruses. They don't.

Missouri lawmaker indicted for allegedly selling fake stem cell treatments for Covid-19
Patricia Derges charged patients for “regenerative” stem cell treatments, but instead gave them amniotic fluid that didn't contain stem cells, an indictment said.

A Missouri state representative was charged in a 20-count indictment that alleged she fraudulently administered treatments, including for Covid-19, that falsely claimed to have stem cells.

Patricia Ashton Derges, 63, allegedly gave so-called “regenerative” treatments to clients who came to the Ozark Valley Medical Clinic looking for treatment for various illnesses, according to a grand jury indictment unsealed Monday.

The clinic offered its patients amniotic fluid that claimed to have stem cells, but in fact was acellular, without stem cells.

After Derges made false claims on a Springfield television station in April that stem cells could treat Covid-19, an investigation was launched, the FBI said in a statement on Monday.
She is a republican. And correct me if I am wrong but stem cells have to be your own to work, stem cells from a random person would be nothing but a target practice for immune system.

And she is fat, I have never seen fat doctor in America.

While I'm sure he was exaggerating for effect, I understand his concern.

At age 62 I qualify for vaccination by the local health department. But I'm in no hurry to get jabbed by current vaccine. It's been rushed through testing under huge political pressures. I'm basically pretty healthy and very low risk. Maybe in a few months, with lots more "field testing", I'll have a different opinion about the comparative risks.

But at the moment, I'm in no hurry to get the Trump vaccine.
Tom

At age 62 I qualify for vaccination by the local health department. But I'm in no hurry to get jabbed by current vaccine. It's been rushed through testing under huge political pressures. I'm basically pretty healthy and very low risk. Maybe in a few months, with lots more "field testing", I'll have a different opinion about the comparative risks.

Tom
There is no Trump vaccine. There are two vaccines approved by several nations with differing Health Organizations.

She is a republican. And correct me if I am wrong but stem cells have to be your own to work, stem cells from a random person would be nothing but a target practice for immune system.

Well, if you​ haven't seen it, it doesn't exist.

Well, if you​ haven't seen it, it doesn't exist.
I did not say it does not exist. I said I have never seen it.

Tom
There is no Trump vaccine. There are two vaccines approved by several nations with differing Health Organizations.

There are, however, a tiny handful of vaccines approved for use in the USA during the Trump administration.

I'm no antivaxxer. Modern medicine, including vaccinations, have revolutionised the human situation in the last century or so. It's the Trump administration, packing the Federal agencies with people more loyal than competent, that gives me pause. I'm not afraid of C19. I'm pretty sure I already got it. I'm careful about basics, like masks and sanitizer and distancing. I took care of my mother-in-law through a really bad week, after which she tested positive. I had a couple of bad days, then tested negative. My partner tested negative twice. I'm pretty sure we've been through it and all survived, handily.

I don't consider a vaccine, raced through testing by politicians like Trump, a good risk to me. Maybe later. In the meantime, I'll leave the vaccines(which are in short supply) for people who have a different risk assessment for themselves. Teachers, doctors, first responders, whatever, they can better get their choice if I forego a vaccine.
Tom

Uh ... 17+ years is hardly a "rush".
As long as you don't mind taking the word of Captain Kangaroo about it...

There are, however, a tiny handful of vaccines approved for use in the USA during the Trump administration.

I'm no antivaxxer. Modern medicine, including vaccinations, have revolutionised the human situation in the last century or so. It's the Trump administration, packing the Federal agencies with people more loyal than competent, that gives me pause. I'm not afraid of C19. I'm pretty sure I already got it. I'm careful about basics, like masks and sanitizer and distancing. I took care of my mother-in-law through a really bad week, after which she tested positive. I had a couple of bad days, then tested negative. My partner tested negative twice. I'm pretty sure we've been through it and all survived, handily.

I don't consider a vaccine, raced through testing by politicians like Trump, a good risk to me. Maybe later. In the meantime, I'll leave the vaccines(which are in short supply) for people who have a different risk assessment for themselves. Teachers, doctors, first responders, whatever, they can better get their choice if I forego a vaccine.
Tom

The Pfizer vaccine has recently been approved by the Australian TGA, and will be rolled out shortly here.

There's no particular pressure or rush. Which is why it's taken longer to approve here than in countries that haven't effectively managed the disease up to now.

It's as safe and effective as any other pharmaceutical product sold in Australia.

The Astra-Zeneca vaccine is expected to be approved by the TGA in the next few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom