• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Cricket... the game, not the insect

Test 2 is up, Aussies put up a good total like in the First test. Brits are batting away 58-0.

I had a question regarding batting. When it comes to batting, how much is reactionary, how much is basing a bounce based on visual interpretation of ball spin, how much is just gauging the fielding positions, how much is on perceived length? How much in on the bowler's hand during release? A complete hodge podge of it?

Catching up on The Ashes. Is Ben Stokes the best batter is the game? Who else could be at bat with an England bowler as a partner, down what 250 runs, 6 wickets... and the fans for England believe that at 50+ it is possible, that the Aussie fans at 100+ believe 'oh no...'. Any other batter instill that much trust, belief, worry?

In the end, he didn't get England across the line. And the Aussies exhale a big breath of relief. But to be clear, it'd been a one man batting show that would have done it, had he done it. Really, can't expect one player to bat 200+ in order to win the game. Aussies manage an "easier" time minus one player in the second test match than the first. They are in control, and it'll be hard to England to pull this off. But with Stokes all things are possible.

Actually batter is the accepted current term, just as we also have bowlers instead of bowlsmen. This was due to being consistent with men's and women's cricket.
Stokes is a good batter but in the current tests Usman Khawaja has been more consistent, so arguably better. On the current ICC batting rankings Khawaji is seventh whilst Stokes is 32.
Also the England team were playing an Australian team without Lyon, who could have made a huge difference, and even so Stokes at one stage was uncharacteristically dropped by Steve Smith. The England team also had better batting conditions.

So how do people feel about the dismissal of Bairstow? (ducks for cover)

Whilst within the rules (like mankadding) Bairstow should have been warned to be careful. But he is still a goose.

Actually batter is the accepted current term, just as we also have bowlers instead of bowlsmen. This was due to being consistent with men's and women's cricket.
Stokes is a good batter hitter but in the current tests Usman Khawaja has been more consistent, so arguably better. On the current ICC batting rankings Khawaji is seventh whilst Stokes is 32.
Also the England team were playing an Australian team without Lyon, who could have made a huge difference, and even so Stokes at one stage was uncharacteristically dropped by Steve Smith. The England team also had better batting conditions.
FIFY.

So how do people feel about the dismissal of Bairstow? (ducks for cover)

Whilst within the rules (like mankadding) Bairstow should have been warned to be careful. But he is still a goose.
If he needed a warning to be careful it should have come from his own captain (Stokes). It is not the duty of his opposition to coddle him.
What Stokes and other English cricketers said after the game was the true 'not in the spirit of the game' case (as is also disputing the third umpire's decision), and also smacks of gamesmanship and deflection from their poor performances. It was also poor sportsmanship and whinging.

Test Match 3 of the Ashes.

Marsh leads Australia and England. Stokes currently trying to even up with Marsh.

Meanwhile in Africa, the US faced Zimbabwe in an ODI world cup qualifier group match fixture. Zimbabwe managed a vey slow start, less than 3 runs an over for the first 11 overs. Then the bats opened up and they finished with over 400. The US... managed to get to the 25th over and triple digits. No US in the ODI World Cup.

Marsh leads Stokes who both lead England and Australia. Aussies looked great before lunch (and I got up). But once I got up, it changed and Stokes was able to battle for a while and whittled the lead to 30 or so.

Opening batters <- (;)) saw Warner go off for near nothing again (if he the coaches son? :D). But then a little more stability, better than first innings, but ultimately, it has fallen back to Marsh and Head. A breakthrough there sooner than later for England, and they'll be sitting pretty. But that is far from certain.

So I've noticed the whole Bairstow thing. I was at Mid-Ohio for that part of the second test.

English media wasn't happy. Piers Morgan was so disturbed. I've noticed that the Sky Sports media has uttered nothing about it at all since it happened. So seems like a nothingburger.

But it did raise one question for me. When Bairstow begins walking off, the umpire looks down and away from the play. This is the only thing I'm wondering about. Just how much of an announcement is made by an umpire to call an over to an end? The umpire looked like play was dead.

I post this as Bairstow steps onto the pitch after Stokes' dismissal.

Aussies can't hold and England take one back. I think nine days until Test 4. Much more competitive tournament than last time.

So I've noticed the whole Bairstow thing. I was at Mid-Ohio for that part of the second test.

English media wasn't happy. Piers Morgan was so disturbed. I've noticed that the Sky Sports media has uttered nothing about it at all since it happened. So seems like a nothingburger.

But it did raise one question for me. When Bairstow begins walking off, the umpire looks down and away from the play. This is the only thing I'm wondering about. Just how much of an announcement is made by an umpire to call an over to an end? The umpire looked like play was dead.

I post this as Bairstow steps onto the pitch after Stokes' dismissal.
The main umpire, at the stumps rather than square leg, is supposed to call out 'over' but I suspected that is more honoured in the breach than the observance. This will force umpires to be more consistent and pay closer attention which is no bad thing.

As everyone is aware, the Major League Cricket league (T20) is about to get going in the US (Thursday). Some big names are signed to it. And in general, half of it being played outside of Dallas... and it is El Nino, and a heat wave with heat indices well above 100, closing in on 110. Games, at 3:30 and 7:30 locally. So just in case you are desperate because the Ashes are a week away... you can watch cricket players burning to death on a pitch for a change of pace.

Back
Top Bottom