• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Dark Brandon strikes again or is it another Biden gaffe ...

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Joe Biden said this yesterday.

President Joe Biden said:
Number two, the idea — the idea we still allow semiautomatic weapons to be purchased is sick. It’s just sick. It has no, no social redeeming value. Zero. None. Not a single, solitary rationale for it except profit for the gun manufacturers.
(Emphasis mine)
Remarks by President Biden After Visiting With Local Firefighters

I am not sure whether he now wants to ban purchase of all semiautomatic weapons or if he misspoke and just wants to revive the misguided ban on so-called "assault weapons". He mentions so-called "assault weapons" a bit later, so he probably misspoke the first time.
An "assault weapon" ban merely has a very small chance of passing Congress. A ban on all semi-autos has no chance.

But either way it is telling that he only announced this push after the Midterms. It would have harmed Dems' races if he had said this before.

But either way it is telling that he only announced this push after the Midterms.
You can't pay much attention to the current political landscape if you think this is something that just came up since the Midterms.
Tom

:shrug:
It is a propitious effort because for the next two years, after every mass shooter incident involving the weapons referred to in the bill (out of >600 /yr if the rate doesn't change) Dems will have the chance to remind voters that the freedumbers' misconstruction of the 2nd Amendment is killing us and Republicans are on the NRA payroll, and Putin funds the NRA and blah blah blah.
It's far too late to do anything about it, but blame laying opportunities abound and show no signs of abating. I wonder if it will become such a hot issue that gun control advocates will take up arms.

We interpret COTUS to the extreme when it suits us. Left, right, and center.

To me unrestricted freedom of speech interred as you can say anything anytime is a misinterpretation. It is used to now juastfy 'freedom of expression' which is not explicit to justify any kind of behavior.

The 2nd Amendment interpretation that makes most sense to me is ' a well regulated militia' meant a military that could not be used against the people. Armed citzens was a hedge against abuse of power. COTUS provided for a standing Navy but not an Army.

As go to routine political fodder te right is anti abortion and the left pro gun control. Focal points for botj sides.

When a politician these days rants grief and sorrow over a shooting to me it is disingenuous.

From reporting I have heard for a while there is a growing mental health problem with kids. In a recent report there are kids bullying themselves online to get attention. Sentiments of dis pair and suicide growing.

Biden the experienced politician he is knows getting rid of semi autmatic weapons is not gong to have any major impact, yet it is a dog whistle for te left as abortion is for the religious right.

Any firearm with a semi automatic receiver can be converted to fully automatic. In a lot of cases, the process is pretty simple too. US marines did it all the time with their M-14s for example. Biden has a point.

Just today. An 11 year ol shot in a car on I5 in Tacoma. An apparent random highway drive by shooting.

What are labeled mass shootings abd school shootings are a small part of the gun violence. Short of forced disarming of th the public no gun control laws or banning of semiaiuo assault rifles is going to impact the violence.

Just today. An 11 year ol shot in a car on I5 in Tacoma. An apparent random highway drive by shooting.

What are labeled mass shootings abd school shootings are a small part of the gun violence. Short of forced disarming of th the public no gun control laws or banning of semiaiuo assault rifles is going to impact the violence.
No shit, Sherlock.

So, forcibly disarm the public.

What the everlasting fuck are they going around armed for in the first fucking place?

Are you and your countrymen really so terrified of ending up as a hellhole like Canada that you are happy for hundreds of children a year to be sacrificed to avoiding that dread fate?

Apparently you are. Your entire nation needs psychiatric help, to rid it of the psychosis that is exemplified by your batshit crazy second amendment.

No shit, Sherlock.

What the everlasting fuck are they going around armed for in the first fucking place?

Are you and your countrymen really so terrified of ending up as a hellhole like Canada that you are happy for hundreds of children a year to be sacrificed to avoiding that dread fate?

Apparently you are. Your entire nation needs psychiatric help, to rid it of the psychosis that is exemplified by your batshit crazy second amendment.
To be fair, it’s almost always somebody else’s children.

No shit, Sherlock.

I think you know better bilby. The gun lobby owns the Right Wing, bought and paid for. Plain and simple, they’re a ruling minority that is expert at one thing only: selling their - and YOUR victimhood. With some help from tge Murdochs, Mercers and Putins of the world, they keep convincing people to vote for them out of fear and loathing.

You can't pay much attention to the current political landscape if you think this is something that just came up since the Midterms.
Tom
The political issue didn't, of course, but this statement was made after the midterms. Well, most of them.
If Reps were smart, they'd do an anti-Warnock ad with the "the idea we still allow semiautomatic weapons to be purchased is sick" soundbite and do a huge ad buy all over Georgia.

It is a propitious effort because for the next two years,
It's not a "propitious effort" because for the next two years GOP will have the majority (at least 220 seats, possibly 222) in the House. No ban, either on so-called "assault weapons" or semi-autos will be possible to pass.
after every mass shooter incident involving the weapons referred to in the bill (out of >600 /yr if the rate doesn't change)
What weapons are you talking about? Assault weapons (so-called)? They are a minority of mass shootings and an even smaller fraction of all homicides.
It is also a rather vaguely defined category.

Dems will have the chance to remind voters that the freedumbers' misconstruction of the 2nd Amendment is killing us and Republicans are on the NRA payroll, and Putin funds the NRA and blah blah blah.
Blah blah is correct. Banning a type of weapon based on that it looks like a "scary" assault rifle is not fruitful. The vast majority of gun crime, and a minority of mass shootings, committed with handguns. Furthermore, had a shooter like the Colorado Springs nut not been able to obtain an AR15-style rifle, he could have committed the shooting with a regular handgun or two. In a confined space like a nightclub, the handguns would be just as effective.

It's far too late to do anything about it, but blame laying opportunities abound and show no signs of abating. I wonder if it will become such a hot issue that gun control advocates will take up arms.
They do not even have to take up arms. They can just vote.
Telling voters that you want to take their guns is not a winning move. Just ask President Governor private citizen β how that worked out for him.

Instead of threatening to ban certain types of guns, we should limit people who can own guns.

The 2nd Amendment interpretation that makes most sense to me is ' a well regulated militia' meant a military that could not be used against the people. Armed citzens was a hedge against abuse of power. COTUS provided for a standing Navy but not an Army.
That may be so, but it will be difficult to reverse Heller. Certainly not with the current SCOTUS.

As go to routine political fodder te right is anti abortion and the left pro gun control. Focal points for botj sides.
That is true.

Biden the experienced politician he is knows getting rid of semi autmatic weapons is not gong to have any major impact, yet it is a dog whistle for te left as abortion is for the religious right.
But it works both ways. As an experienced politician he should know that saying something like that will turn more voters against him than bring to him. I think he misspoke with the "semi-automatic" part. He is, after all, very gaffe-prone.

Any firearm with a semi automatic receiver can be converted to fully automatic. In a lot of cases, the process is pretty simple too. US marines did it all the time with their M-14s for example. Biden has a point.
The M14 is already a selective fire rifle. AR15 style rifles are not.
If the conversion of a semi-auto firearm to fully auto was so simple, then why are such conversions not happening regularly?

A semi-auto ban (which would ban most of not all handguns - depending if revolvers would fit the law's definition of "semi-automatic" - and most rifles) would be virtually impossible to pass even if Dems had a 2009-style majority in Congress. The likelihood of its passing Constitutional muster would be even lower.

I think you know better bilby. The gun lobby owns the Right Wing, bought and paid for.
Sigh. It is not just the right-wing. Many independents and even Democrats would not support a semi-auto ban or bilby's idea to "forcibly disarm the public".

Sigh. It is not just the right-wing. Many independents and even Democrats would not support a semi-auto ban or bilby's idea to "forcibly disarm the public".
Wrong. Only 23% of Dems oppose an assault weapon ban in the June study.

No ban, either on so-called "assault weapons" or semi-autos will be possible to pass.
Remedial reading time for Derec again. It is propitious for political reasons that went right over your head.

Tom
The political issue didn't, of course, but this statement was made after the midterms. Well, most of them.
If Reps were smart, they'd do an anti-Warnock ad with the "the idea we still allow semiautomatic weapons to be purchased is sick" soundbite and do a huge ad buy all over Georgia.
If I understand the timing, it was an additional point made shortly after yet another couple of mass killings.

I wonder what would happen if somebody started such an ad campaign in the vicinity of Udalve.
Tom

Instead of threatening to ban certain types of guns, we should limit people who can own guns.
It’s too bad then that so many Colorado sheriffs were openly against red flag laws that would help to limit people who can own guns.

The right wing doesn’t want that approach because freedom. They don’t want to change the age to buy or have universal backgrounds checks. All things that would, as you say, limit people who can own guns legally.

People seem to forget that Trump once said we should just take the guns away first and worry about due process later.

The right wing also says it is about mental health but I never seem to hear about any proposals they have to aid in the mental health crises that lead to shootings. Where are their policy proposals?

Back
Top Bottom