• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Daunte Wright shot with Taser. And by "taser," I mean, "Gun."

So what about the guy who was shot in a head by Dante and now a vegetable?
I don't understand why it's not a part of discussion?
It was not proven in court? or what?
Not proven in court and as far as I know, charges against Wright were never filed for the shooting. He could have done exactly what the victim's mother has alleged. OR she could be going after money that Wright's estate may well win in a wrongful death settlement, either because she honestly believes that Wright shot her son (and he may have--we do not actually know) or because she wants to believe that. I imagine she wants and needs answers and money.
Well, if the mother just came out with this accusation then it's clearly lame attempt at getting money. But if he was accused prior to his own death then it's a different story.
The mother filed the lawsuit about 6 weeks after Wright's death. I haven't found any charges against Wright in the shooting of her son. It would have been pointless to file a lawsuit against someone (or their estate) who had no money. I don't blame her, actually. She's probably desperate for money to pay for her son's continuing care. Virtually anyone would be.
OK then, she is lying.

But this is messed up life. People shooting, dying, suing people alive, suing dead people.

Speaking of evidence. I wonder what evidence the police had on Daunte Wright for the "alleged" armed robbery (a felony)? It's strange that the court went with a gross misdemeanor warrant for someone facing felony charges. :unsure:

According to this, he was charged with the robbery in 2019. But the warrant was for a later, unrelated gun case and him skipping a Zoom court hearing.
The case:
60771cbd74da0300181e1a69

I am going to go out on a limb and say that the listed date of birth is a typo.
The question is, why was he not held without bail after he broke bail conditions previously?
Because apparently there was a lot of confusion over whether or not he received notice of the hearing. The court system did not notify him of a zoom hearing or date/time, much less verify that he had computer access to a computer and internet that would support a zoom meeting. Please note: this was during the pandemic when a lot of government services were limited.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it wasn't Wright who was waving a gun around. He was not 17 on June 30 2020. The age is so specific, it seems that the caller knew the person well enough to know his age.

Not proven in court and as far as I know, charges against Wright were never filed for the shooting. He could have done exactly what the victim's mother has alleged. OR she could be going after money that Wright's estate may well win in a wrongful death settlement, either because she honestly believes that Wright shot her son (and he may have--we do not actually know) or because she wants to believe that. I imagine she wants and needs answers and money.
Well, if the mother just came out with this accusation then it's clearly lame attempt at getting money. But if he was accused prior to his own death then it's a different story.
The mother filed the lawsuit about 6 weeks after Wright's death. I haven't found any charges against Wright in the shooting of her son. It would have been pointless to file a lawsuit against someone (or their estate) who had no money. I don't blame her, actually. She's probably desperate for money to pay for her son's continuing care. Virtually anyone would be.
OK then, she is lying.

But this is messed up life. People shooting, dying, suing people alive, suing dead people.
I don't know if she's lying. She may sincerely believe that WRight shot her son. Wright may have shot her son. We don't know.

I feel tremendous sympathy for this mother whose son's life was destroyed and who is left caring for someone with permanent brain damage and enormous medical needs and almost certainly does not have the resources to provide for her son.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it wasn't Wright who was waving a gun around. He was not 17 on June 30 2020. The age is so specific, it seems that the caller knew the person well enough to know his age.

The police report was written after all of the events transpired. You have to read it as an officer's account, not the witness' account. Ignoring the birth date, I'd say the officer identified Daunte at the site where he took off running. (since Daunte had priors it's not like it was impossible for the officer to know who he was).

I don't know if she's lying. She may sincerely believe that WRight shot her son.
Sincerely believe but did not tell that to the police immediately?
My reading is that she was told that Wright shot her son. I have no idea of the time line or what she or anyone else did or did not tell the police.

The police report was written after all of the events transpired. You have to read it as an officer's account, not the witness' account. Ignoring the birth date, I'd say the officer identified Daunte at the site where he took off running. (since Daunte had priors it's not like it was impossible for the officer to know who he was).
You could be absolutely correct and the report is not accurate. Or the officer could have identified Wright as being there and made the assumption that Wright was the shooter. Or a dozen other possibilities.

I’m making no claim that Wright was a good person and no claims as to his innocence or guilt with respect to any wrong doing he might be accused of.

The witness statement (according to the police report) described what Daunta was wearing and when the officer located the vehicle with him and his "friends" in it Daunte was wearing that outfit. Daunte took off running and the gun the witness described was found in the car. Daunte was just another example of a YBM falling into the lore of street life.

You can't collect money in a lawsuit that no one has. I can't sue the homeless person that scratched my car and caused $500 in damage (well, I can but it would just waste more of my own money and get me nowhere).... but if 6 weeks later I find out that asshole won $10,000 on a scratch-off lottery ticket, maybe then I'll sue him for the damages, since now he can pay for the damage he did.

Potter has been testifying today. Will be back in about 30 min. Judge took a break because she broke down on stand.

Yeah, she needs to not go to jail for this. Demoted, fired made to do what she can to help the community heal (I highly doubt she would have an issue with that at all) anything but jail.

Yeah, she needs to not go to jail for this. Demoted, fired made to do what she can to help the community heal (I highly doubt she would have an issue with that at all) anything but jail.
I dunno about fired.
Given everything, she could be an extremely valuable asset to the police department.
Frankly, as a weapons trainer. Who better to teach a lesson on careful usage of the tools available than someone who messed up and caused a huge disaster? She is, and always will be, an object lesson in why decisions about use of weapons, sometimes made in a second or less, are a big effing deal.
This ain't no movie. This ain't no video game. This is Real.
Tom

She can be fired and still be a private trainer for the police department. :rolleyes:

I dunno about fired.
Given everything, she could be an extremely valuable asset to the police department.
Frankly, as a weapons trainer. Who better to teach a lesson on careful usage of the tools available than someone who messed up and caused a huge disaster? She is, and always will be, an object lesson in why decisions about use of weapons, sometimes made in a second or less, are a big effing deal.
Tom
She wouldn't be trusted by those she was supposed to train.

She can be fired and still be a private trainer for the police department. :rolleyes:
I suppose that's true.

But, again, given everything, what would be better for her? Staying with the police department, or going into private practice? Given her cred, "Yeah, I killed a guy. Don't be the next.", she could easily do better than than the police department.

Perhaps her original motivation for joining the police was trying to protect the community. I don't know if that's true or not, but supposing it was. Now, that community includes everyone from Wright to his supporters who sent her death threats aimed at her kids to BLM.

I don't know her. I don't pretend to know her. Maybe she's some kind of saint. But she could make a lot of money training private security to get rid of people like Wright, without the risk she took by becoming a cop, which came back and bit her on the ass.

It's possible she lost whatever community spirit she had before all this happened. I don't claim to know. But if so, I wouldn't be surprised. She's a human.
Tom

I dunno about fired.
Tom
It wouldn't surprise me if she vowed to never touch another gun in her life.

I saw her testimony. Simply heartbreaking.

I suppose that's true.

But, again, given everything, what would be better for her? Staying with the police department, or going into private practice? Given her cred, "Yeah, I killed a guy. Don't be the next.", she could easily do better than than the police department.

Perhaps her original motivation for joining the police was trying to protect the community. I don't know if that's true or not, but supposing it was. Now, that community includes everyone from Wright to his supporters who sent her death threats aimed at her kids to BLM.

I don't know her. I don't pretend to know her. Maybe she's some kind of saint. But she could make a lot of money training private security to get rid of people like Wright, without the risk she took by becoming a cop, which came back and bit her on the ass.

It's possible she lost whatever community spirit she had before all this happened. I don't claim to know. But if so, I wouldn't be surprised. She's a human.
Tom
What do you mean by 'get rid of people like Wright without the risk she took by becoming a cop?"

It wasn't her ass that got bit. She's on trial but Wright is dead.

Yeah, my favorite bundle of sticks says the oddest things. It does make me wonder at times. :unsure:

The thing is that if you make stupid choices, you might get more than you bargained for. Potter made a mistake, but she would not have even tried to pull her taser had he allowed himself to be taken into custody.

I agree that making stupid choices can lead to more than you bargained for. I also agree that any decision you make can lead to more than you bargain for because I live in the real world.

I feel almost obligated to look her up, present her with a training curriculum idea to prevent this kind of mistake, and a heartfelt letter to stick with it because it will prevent this in the future to forward her life and career around such training.

She can spend her life attacking a real problem rather than attacking herself.

Back
Top Bottom